Resident Evil Series Fan Fiction ❯ Irresolute ❯ Once Again ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CH1: ONCE AGAIN
============================================================== =
 
Breaking the silent tension as well as his untimely intrusion, the blonde fellow tipped his hat up and walked to the firing squad, a certain stride in his step. He didn't once stop, didn't once look at any of their faces as they watched him, not even at the glare of Colonel Eden, a newly appointed soldier of the fourth division who was now very confused. The blonde man kept going.
 
 
Eden watched him, this stranger invading his territory.. He was still looking at the squads' target--the execution stand really--as if he were under a spell by it. Eden's jaw tightened, empathy growing on his frown. It was a sad affair in the eyes of humanity but justice couldn't go undone. Far over and tied down, that blindfolded man dressed in tattered army clothes was to die at noon for a good reason.
 
 
Blondie stopped dead in the sand and cleared his throat.
 
 
Or so Eden thought.
 
 
“All of you.” Blondie began to address. Eden nearly twisted his shoulder bone when he spun to face him, suddenly wary. Questions spurred in his head but didn't know where to begin at the mouth. “Drop your weapons, now." Blondie declared. "I have my orders.” He added.
 
 
Thick clunks of metal in the sand surrounded them. Eden grunted, uncouthly but weak. He didn't plan on hearing that.
 
 
"Wait." He gritted his teeth. The straw was drawn and all he could get out was a simple wait? “Just wait a damn minute." Eden awkwardly hissed. “You have orders from…?”
 
 
“Why, from the chief, colonel.” The smug blonde replied, not even baring a glance. Eden swallowed from lack of fresh air. Should he let this one slip? ...Should he? After all the meetings, the debates... the brewing controversy? This was crazy! They had this operation planned months prior and now they were just going to pull the plug? And for what kind of reason!? Oh he'd love to hear this from his peers--Woah, the FBI stepped in on your first mission!? Hahha what luck. I bet you were relived! You can't even fire a gun right anyway!'
 
 
Eden pushed back a groan in the back of his throat. He had to remember, this was the FBI, right now, standing less than a foot away from him. He looked at the agent again, he had a glimmer of muse and fair reason, an overall calm demeanor. From what he gathered from his superiors, they were the type that never cut to the chase and preferred long draw out explanations instead. Eden sighed. It boggled his mind why such a top notch secret organization would follow those types of rules.
 
 
In the end, he decided to give up and play along for the sake of any answers he could possibly get.
 
 
“So.." Eden begun, uncertain for a moment where to continue from there. "You...you mean the head chief...” He stated rather than question. The agent finally looked at him and he quickly added. “--You're his agent right?”
 
 
Blondie grinned.
 
 
“The president himself, sir and yes, I do happen to work for the government.” In a swift motion from underneath his coat, he supplied a lengthy document signed with all the appropriate names. The header of the page read “Grant for Pardoning”
 
 
So this really was happening after all…
 
 
Eden put a hand to his forehead, pretending he was wiping sweat when he really was hiding his laughing face. He couldn't believe it. Of all the dumb and stupid unfortunate luck...
 
 
“What is this!? Dirty work?” He proclaimed in a slightly low voice.
 
 
Inwardly, the agent frowned. It didn't matter how many badges or ribbons a man had on his chest, point was, the military knew nothing and wasn't in the position to know any more. Watching the colonel turn away and dismiss his men, watching all of their young yet arrogant faces as they passed him by and left toward the camp in the back—
 
 
--It drew him back, made him think just how vulnerable he was and how much rookie cop, Leon S. Kennedy could relate six years back.
 
 
But all he could do now, however, was muster the best smile and keep it right.
 
 
“Let's keep it simple,” Leon proposed. “I'll promise to tell you as much as I can... but with only one question.”
 
 
Eden turned away from the camps and faced him, slightly uncomfortable, the look on his face gave the impression that he thought their conversation was over. Hesitantly he crossed his arms but eventually let them fall to his sides. This certainly was a change.
 
 
“I...I only have one question.”
 
 
“…Well that's a relief.” Leon seemed visibly relaxed as he flexed his shoulders in and out.
 
 
“It is?
 
 
“Yes really.” The government agent nodded. “For once, I'm not playing twenty questions.”
 
 
Slightly annoyed Eden ignored whatever façade or airs Leon was putting on. He looked him square in the eye for a moment and leaned his bald head over to the execution post where the prisoner still lay bound to his post.
 
 
“But why him?”
 
 
Leon finished stretching and looked in the same direction.
 
 
“…I can't say, really. He's a survivor and we've been searching for him.”
 
 
Eden blinked awkwardly. “A survivor? And by that you mean…”
 
 
“Ah, ah. One question, remember?”
 
 
“…Not much of an answer for what you promised.” He muttered.
 
 
“Sorry, but I'm afraid that's all I can answer. It's policy, what can you do.”
 
 
Leon watched the young colonel look at him once more with his quizzical face. After a long one sided stare down, his expression slowly eased and with slight regard, turned on his heel and walk away. Leon watched him leave, the unusual bald head of the young man was gleaming under the hot son until he reached proper shade. .
 
 
"Really...it's the truth." Leon whispered. He found himself still staring afterwards for a short while, almost forgetting what it felt like to have no idea what's going on and just living for the sake of life. But as soon as impossible joys of bliss started to influence his mind, he shook his head and quickly shoved his past far behind.
 
 
Running over his objective in his head, Leon inwardly awoke from his thoughts. He ventured over to the prisoner with a quickened pace and withdrew his knife the moment he reached him.
 
 
With three swipes, he slashed the ropes on each side and the man fell to his knees with a thick thud in the sand. Leon watched him struggle on his arms, barely getting a chance to help as the tattered man reached up to his own face and teared off the blinded bandanna with a loud groan of frustration. Startled, Leon stepped back, his knife unexpectedly ready but put it aside as he watched the man struggle and breathe with slight difficulty.
 
 
Before he could step back and give proper aid like he intended, the prisoner heaved his head up at him, stunning Leon again. He stared at him through his cold blue eyes and finally spoke.
 
 
“..Know how much I want to throttle your damn neck?” The lack of hydration was evident in his rasping voice.
 
 
“Excuse me?” Leon inquired. He was briefly taken aback by a harsh coughing fit that followed. He knew that from the state of his clothes...
 
 
“…A lot” he chocked out.
 
 
“I'm a afraid I--”
 
 
Leon was caught off guard immediately as the man clutched the collar of his shirt and dragged him down, face to face. He looked straight into the convict's eyes. They certainly hadn't lost their gaze; the lovely pair of icy blue daggers.
 
 
“You…You damn prick…!” He spat, and without warning, threw his head down and began coughing again, it was deep and harsh, possibly an infection that was boiling in his throat from lack of nutrition. Leon frowned.
 
 
“Now wait a minute…” The agent reasoned, but in a few, the convict had his eyes back up at him again, glaring with hatred all the more.
 
 
“I was planning on dieing for your information--What the hell do you want from me!?”
 
 
Well he's a nice one. Leon warily removed himself from his grasp, thankful the man was too tired to keep a grip.
 
 
“Coen, right? I'm Leon Kennedy. I've been sent to escort you to the Caribbean under orders from the government.” He waited for some kind of response but there was none. “There's something we're not sure of and we need you to confirm it.”
 
 
“Confirm what?” Billy snapped. His back was turned to him as he stretched his arms and legs. Leon seemed almost reluctant to ask him.
 
 
“…Are you familiar with Umbrella?”
 
 
Billy hesitated for a moment, a slight twitch in his shoulder. He looked up, then at Leon and then, as if it were nothing, he continued stretching again.
 
 
“And if I am?”
 
 
Good enough. Leon thought irritably before continuing.
 
 
“We need information from you regarding something.” Billy let his arms fall to his sides and lye back in the sand. His entire body was burning with pain and now he was being asked to focus. He sighed. What a day this was turning out to be.
 
 
“Can't you just tell me now?” He asked with irritation. Leon shook his head.
 
 
“Nope. Can't trust anybody these days...” The agent said, trying a small smile. He looked around the empty camp and then back at Billy who had both hands over his eyes, blocking the sun. “Not even the military.” Leon added.
 
 
"Pfft.” Billy would have said more if he had just a little more air in him. Why, ex lieutenant Coen would have told him the story of a life time, but judging from what happened in the past twenty minutes the guy had to have had some sort of idea on what he'd been through.
 
 
Feeling some strength, the freed man sat up in the dirt and gave Leon a once over who raised his eyebrow. Billy frowned slightly but didn't make any comment, at least he looked liked he wasn't going to say anything at the moment. His expression was something Leon wasn't too fond of.
 
 
“Yeah." Billy muttered. "You're definitely a corporate kind of guy.”
 
 
Leon's smile wavered as he helped his new ally to his feet.
 
 
“You have no idea.”
 
===============================================================
 
TO BE CONTINUED
 
 
Originally, I had planned this on being just a one-shot, but I decided to expand it further now that I have some interesting ideas... But first I'd like some feedback please, so tell me what you think!