Role Playing Fan Fiction ❯ The Lady of Time ❯ Prelude ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

THE LADY OF TIME
OR
HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN?
 
Disclaimer: I own nothing except Iridia Sunheart.
 
Notes: This story is about Iridia Sunheart. That the name I choose should my avatar Baran Sunheart have been born female. Ever since I imagined great self-insertion stories for my avatar, I have always wondered what would have happen if my fantasy character was a woman. This is the story of a time-lord. This is the story of Iridia Sunheart as she struggles to survive in the various timelines existing.
 
 
PRELUDE
 
 
The ageless woman continued to spy on the man who sat behind his computer screen. Her sophisticated spyglass enabled her to see through the curtains of the studio.
 
ì«I should have known: The lady of the time or how the hell did this happen? You are right Baran. This was the first thing I asked myself when it happened.
 
She slowly withdrew from her observation point on the roof of a building. Once she was on the centre of the roof, she looked around and smiled. The city of Lyon in France didnt change a bit. Of course, since she had chosen this particular timeline to be the exact reflection of her original timeline, but with her born as a male and the absence of the little trinket around her neck.
 
She lifted the shiny crystal and examined it at the light of the sun. It was so small and yet so full of potential. The sunray reflected on the surface of it and sent her memory back in time: In fact, relatively quite a long time ago.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
Iridia Sunheart was walking back from her work at the hospital. Her shift had been relatively calm and she was enjoying the evening sun. The thirty years old woman was a rather attractive black-haired girl with almost luminescent green eyes behind her glasses, something dubbed Mako Eyes by many of her friends. She was simply clothed in denim jeans, with leather shoes and a sleeveless black tee-shirt. Her long black mane of hair was combed in a high ponytail that fell below her shoulders.
 
She was enjoying the various little shops along the main street. Sometimes, she found little things, little gadgets or real bargains for her hobbies, and besides, she just loved sniffing around.
 
She stopped as she felt a familiar tingling along her spine and goosebumps. There was something here, something special. She had inherited from her mother a rather highly developed sixth sense and she tended to follow her gut instincts. The sensations she experienced whenever she visited a museum were proof enough.
 
She entered the little shop: It was one of those shops who sell fantasy-based little objects, like cheap skull-amulets or reproductions of sacrificial daggers. She let her hands wandered around the vast amounts of junk and stopped above a shelf with various rocks.
 
It was quite the collection of pretty rocks from around the world: Quartz crystals, geodes, pieces of common semi-precious stones and numerous others. What had caught her attention was a chunk of lava.
 
She took it and frowned. Along with the intensification that it was something special, it seemed also abnormally heavy for its size. She looked at the little tag price and nodded: It was really cheap and already this little enigma was attracting her. She smirked as she remembered the saying: Curiosity killed the cat.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
She was nearing her studio when a little accident happened. She was still examining the chunk when a teenager bumped into her rather rudely. She let go of the hunk of lava that broke into about a dozen of pieces on the cement. She swore since, of course, the rude teenager didnt even excuse himself and continued as if nothing had happened.
 
She sighed as she contemplated the new puzzle at her feet: So much for resolving the enigma now. She blinked as she remarked a shiny crystal among the pieces.
 
It was a featureless dark metallic dodecahedron, looking amazingly like a metal 20-sided die, like some of her own dices she used in role-playing games. Although it was the same size as a d20, it was quite massive, weighing in perhaps at half a kilo. Iridia raised an eyebrow as she considered that it was probably a man-made object, but how did it got into the lava?
 
She shrugged but then blinked as she dimly sensed something probing or moving inside her own mind. It was a strange sensation but not something dangerous by itself. Of course, she changed her mind because the thing in her right hand began to glow red. Her eyes widened as, of course now, her sixth sense was screaming at her that she was in a sort of danger and, of course, it was too late.
 
ì«Damn it! Iridia was experiencing something funny. Her whole body was free to move with one important exception. Her hand seemed to be not only locked around the crystal, but the damn thing seemed to be rooted in the substance itself of the universe and refuse to budge even a little.
 
The crystal rapidly cycled from red to orange, then to yellow and finally to a searing blue-white. It was at this point that a shimmering field appeared around the crystal and Iridias hand and expanded right through all of her to about 6 meters in diameter. She blacked out.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
Notes: This little idea of mine was floating for a long time in my head. It was first inspired by a game about accidental time-travellers. But recently, the discovery of the manga Ouke No Monshou roused my Muse and triggered its emergence.
 
Futures timelines include China, Japan, Roman Empire, the Vikings, Atlantis, Cyberpunk and many others.
 
Next chapter: When someone asks you if youre a Goddess, you say Yes!ì« Iridia found herself thousands of years in the past in Ancient Egypt. However, this is far from being in a Hollywood production like The Ten Commandments.
 
Read and review, thank you.