Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Slowly Disapear ❯ Ashlin's speech ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Û°Û°Û°
 
Stunned by awe Ari didn't dare move, for fear of disrupting such a peaceful and powerful moment. But the moment could not last long.
 
Even now she could catch the movements of the pixies as they revealed themselves from their homes among the leaves.
 
Some small, some large, sunlight streamed through their opaque wings. Their whole bodies were only the length of her forearm, from elbow to paw. They buzzed angrily at the site of her, their little wings fluttering up a mass of old and withered leaves that were placed upon the branches by the wind.
 
For what it was worth, they appeared to her as ethereal beings. With their tiny little heads surrounded in the morning sun, yet the shadows they were shroud in were as black as night.
 
She had two options, sit here and let them come, or do exactly as Sir Mallot had said.
 
She was no fool.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
Bones reconstructing, hair lengthening, all was painful. Ari's eyes shrank and turned to a pale green before finally returning to their original hazel-kissed, deep green. White fur grew shadows and tones of red until reaching a full red onslaught. She could feel every individual hair shrink back into her body, waiting until the next time they were released. The change was complete.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
The girl was crouched in a stance, hands resting on the ground keeping pressure off of them. Her legs were bent, one of them flat against her bare chest and the other angled in and resting farther out.
 
Her red bob, tangled with leaves and wildflower blossoms, covered half her face, allowing only one eye visible. Her full pale lips were clenched and her eyes seemed to dart from each moving creature with amazing speed, staying only long enough to take in their appearance.
 
The tiny but dangerous pixies advanced upon her, using a grid system to form a line and ranks; smallest in the back, largest in the front, all of them flanking an ancient wrinkled pixie that appeared to be as old as the Elder tree itself.
 
They were almost upon her, floating low in the air, their magic easily visible now. They did not get a chance to use it for the crouched girl bowed her heads and spoke with a quiet voice.
 
“Grand'da Dwarf Mallot sent me; he requires three Aconite blossoms from the highest branch of the Elder tree.” The girl did not look up until she had finished, now she cast a disdainful eye towards the affronting pixie.
 
Each pixie gazed at her together for long stretches of time as though trying to catch hint of a lie on the wind and in her face. The tension was thick enough to crash a car into.
 
“Your name wolf ling?” The elder pixies smoky and wind toned voice broke suddenly through the tension, surrounding them in the clearing spreading the same way that the melody the wind played on the Elder tree's leaves had. The girl flinched out of surprise.
 
“Ari Larim.” With her wits gathered around her she answered.
 
“I am Ashlin, elder pixie and head guardian of my dear friend Elder tree. For generations longer then man itself I have been by this tree's side, each day looking out over the forest and watching the sunset. We pixies are not accepted by other fea kind, only old Sir Mallot is our friend. But I sense there is something different about you.”
 
Ashlin paused a moment to observe the young wolf ling once more. One look was all it took to have Ari shaking again.
 
“You and I, as I see, are not different at all. In fact I would go as far as to say that we are kindred spirits. Sir Mallot accepts all; you are again another show of that honorable trait. Perhaps he also can see your want to be accepted and love for it shines in aura stronger then everything except for your kindness.” The pixies red painted lips were now turned up in an encouraging smile that only widened when the wolf ling raised her head again revealing her astonished and blushing face.
 
All other pixies seemed to now gaze at the wolf ling with respect and awe, for indeed the brightness of her aura seemed to shine brighter then most.
 
“Dear child, you have been treated wrongly in your past, but do not fear you are safe with Sir Mallot. The last wolf he picked up and took care of was a right well prat if you don't mind me saying. Just three years ago it was him that had been sent and he took no kindness upon our tree or among my people, nearly killed one of my own closest friends when she tried to stop him from hurting the Elder tree further then he already had. That day the Elder tree lost a branch, the first one in over 500 years that the tree has lost. So you'll have to excuse my prying into your past through your soul.”
 
The girl quickly shook her head and lowered it once more.
 
The clearing once again filled with silence, but no longer was it an uncomfortable, tension filled silence. It was a silence of memories as each creature fell under the spell of wind shifts and chirping birds.