Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Slowly Disapear ❯ Sir Mallot past and a new addition to the Family ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Suddenly Eoin stood up, startling Ari and filling the room with a loud squeak.
 
“I shall make you some soup.” Clapping his hands as he spoke, Eoin exited the room at a brisk pace, mumbling something incoherently.
 
Ari's face was twisted in puzzlement before it turned into amusement. He didn't know that she hated soup.
 
She waited several minutes in silence, listening to Eoin fumble around the kitchen. The sunlight streaming in through the wood rimmed window above her bed was warm an comforting, had it not already been blistering in the room, she was sure she would have enjoyed it.
 
She needed to get out of the heat.
 
Swinging porcelain legs over the edge of the bed, the girl gingerly tested her strength; not wanting to over exert herself. When she found she could stand perfectly well on strong but sore legs she lifted her trembling hands from the padding of the bed.
 
Getting to the front door was not the hard part, no the hard part was getting past Eoin without him noticing.
 
Her feet made not a sound as she quickly crept down the hall, clutching Ashlin's dress to silence the swoosh it made whenever she moved her legs.
 
Past the pictures, past Sir Mallot's room she went, ever silent. Like a snake stalking its prey, she trained her eyes on the front door, the arch of its wood and brass handle seeming so far away. She reached the ajar door to the kitchen and froze.
 
Eoin's footsteps were walking towards the door now, and the smell of chicken soup wafted out the door, appealing to Ari's sensitive smell. She prayed to known and unknown gods alike that her stomach didn't rumble. His footsteps were almost upon her now; he was right around the doorframe; out of sight. She was going to be caught.
 
Just when Ari was going to turn around and head back to her room, she heard Eoin swear. Apparently he had spilled chicken soup on himself.
 
She swiftly raced down the hall and out the door before he even knew what happened.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
A slight wind raced against the sky, sweeping over trees and tightly snuggled houses. Skylarks and blue jays colored the sky, riding on the air currents; their wings lifting them high in the air.
 
Rolling thunderheads emitted loud crashed and booms, a reminder of the past nights storm. But despite all the noise, they moved out, following the cold air departing with the swift wind; traveling farther north.
 
Sunlight streamed down upon the forest and its occupants, warming leaves and fur. A world full of life.
 
Ari plopped herself down on the ever green grass near the edge of the forest. She lowered herself onto her back moving her hands behind her head using them as a pillow after she smoothed her dress around her and tucking it in; preventing it from riding up on her.
 
Her still mussed up hair spread over her hand and lay limply against the grass, green contrasting against red.
 
Ari's chest rose and fell as she breathe in deeply only to sigh and close weary eyes; a smile gracing her healing lips. The sounds of the animals in the forest surrounding her, the sunlight streaming through the leaves over head heating her to a comfy temperature. Contentment wrapped around her and she listened to the sounds with a trained ear.
 
A marsh Merlot could be heard hastening her young along the bank of a distant brook, its crystal water rumbling faintly against eroded rocks, smoothed to perfection. Ari made a mental note to find the time to search the bank of the brook for some round crystals. Farther off over head wings flapped in a flurry of swooshes; a babe blue jay was being taught how to fly. Whistles from his mother sounded through Ari's skull, their sweet high pitched note back dropped by a husky melody.
 
Brownies, furry little brown creatures as cute as can be but with a sour attitude, were rustling through the underbrush searching for apple berries, sweet and sour berries just like them to match their personality.
 
She could hear a pack of wolves running through the wood, their breathes coming hard and mingling with the sounds. A hunt was on. Ari kept her ears trained on the pack for awhile, listening to their near silent decent across fallen leaves and limbs, stopping occasionally to smell the tracks of a rabbit long gone or of a deer hiding away in safety.
 
A rustle near the edge of the wood startled Ari away from the pack. Padded feet accompanied by the click of long claws crept through the weeds and grass, just out of sight.
 
A smell assaulted her nose she had never smelled before and the swish of a tail could be heard now as it crept ever closer to where she was laid out.
 
Ari contemplated moving to scare it away but curiosity over rode common sense. That and the smell of fear wasn't very easy to miss.
 
She recognized the smell of brimstone and heat, but the scent was dominated by something other then that, and she refrained from cracking her eye open to see what it was in case it was close enough to see her move and be scared away.
A click right next to her head almost scarred her half to death and she fought hard not to jump, for all intended purposes she was asleep.
 
Breath tickled her hands and a warm muzzle, soft with scales, probed at her arm, taking big whiffs of her scent. Ari heard a whoosh of membrane leather wings and her curiosity grew, almost reaching its breaking point.
 
She felt a body slump down heavily next to her and a scaled and hot head lay against her stomach, the creature snuggled closer to her like a new born babe sleeping against its mother. She felt oddly touched that the animal thought her its mother.
 
Sharply clawed paws stretched over her stomach to join the spot where its head rested. Making a content noise the animal snuggled closer one more time before its breathing slowly began to even out, signaling sleep.
 
It was a light and restless sleep, the kind of sleep an animal fearing betrayal would fall into. Areas of Ari's body itched and she fought to keep her hands firmly clamped behind her head.
 
She steadied her frantic breathing willing her stomach to rise and fall in a slow rhythm. Air could be heard whispering out of her nose, her mouth remained closed, in a tight line. Ari opened her emerald eyes to the world, they darted down towards her stomach, but her eyebrows creased together when she discovered that she caught not but a glimpse of the pearly tinted white hide made up of scales, covering every inch of the creature. She could see no more without risking waking the animal up with the movement of her head.
 
She waited several long moments, eyes unblinking gazing dazedly into the baby blue colored sky. The sounds of the forest continued now accompanied by the noisy inhales and exhales of the creature on her stomach.
 
She could hear clearly her name being echoed through the small clearing and not soon after the sound of the doors heavy wait being pushed forward met her ears.
 
And a collective gasp fell like a pin dropping on marble.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
She had gone outside, that was not hard to see. Eoin set down the soup and called lightly for Ari, when no answer returned he walked slowly to the door and pushed it open. Only to freeze.
 
Ari was not the surprise. It was the creature lying on her stomach that shocked him almost to the point of calling out for Sir Mallot to give him a confirmation.
 
It was a small babe, no longer then four feet long and a foot and a half wide. The scales adorning its body were of the whitest alabaster, but when the sun hit it through the gaps in the oak trees leaves, the scales flashed a milky light purple creating a sparkling effect upon them when the wind moved the Oak's branches and danced the leaves.
 
A heavily angled but yet some how softened jaw and muzzle rested on Ari's stomach rising and falling when she breathed. Blunt spikes, again of the same white, poked through leather skin devoid of scales, arched behind the head up towards the sky, they were very small and obviously still growing.
 
Four legs, similar to the structure of a dog, connected with a plump belly. The belly was without out scales but the skin had a leathery look to it and was a darker purple then most parts of the body. The four paws formed into padded feet with shortened and slightly raised scales on them. Four short appendages extended from each paw, ending with sharpened claws with a slight curve to them. Lastly there was a thick tail the swept from the end of the body down onto the ground and curled around it. It started out thick but soon ended at a point connected with a dark purple spade tip.
 
Right there sleeping on Ari's stomach was a creature not seen for centuries even in the fea world.
 
A Dragon.
 
Eoin faltered in his steps the minute it registered what he was seeing.
 
He gazed closely, not daring to move. When his eyes flashed over Ari's face he saw two twin sparks of emerald staring at him, warning him with a deadly look to not move. Like he needed to be told.
 
Leaves swept past the gap in-between them floating on the wind. One of them, a three pronged golden and large leaf swirled high in the air swooping down and traveling up again. When the breeze disappeared it floated down and landed gently on the snout of the baby dragon, it began to sneeze almost as soon as it breathed in. Tiny little puffs of smoke rose from its nostrils every time a gust of air blew through with a sneeze. Ari was lucky it was still a baby and it couldn't breathe fire yet.
 
Its claws flexed, scrunching up Ari's dress and scraping her skin leaving raised welts.
 
The dragon sat up, its eyes flashed open and revealed the most beautiful shade of blue to the world, emotions vividly flashed through them and the twinkled like the very stars in the sky. Every color of blue imaginable seemed to have combined and swirled around in her eyes. Now they were pale and vibrant with annoyance they narrowed on the leaf still attached to its muzzle, slightly above its nostrils and mouth, giving the effect of her being cross eyed.
 
A paw rose to swipe at the leaf and with a grunt of satisfaction she cut it to shreds with her claws. As soon as the shreds of leaf landed upon the earth two paws slammed down upon them. Imprinting them into the earth skin. The dragon growled at the leaf on more time before swinging around to look through the clearing.
 
The dragons eyes widened in fright at the site of two unknown and weird looking creatures staring at her, one in amazement and the other in amusement.
A whistle of alarm rose from the dragon's throat in a quiet tone, slowly gaining momentum.
 
Ari desperate to calm the beautiful creature reached out her hand slowly and blew along her arm, spreading her scent around her and the dragon. The Dragon gazed wearily at the outstretched hand before breathing and sniffing at a comforting scent. It seemed to realize that they meant no harm and it settled down, its head was once again on Ari, this time the dragon nuzzled it's snout into Ari's still outstretched hand, breathing on her palm.
 
Ari slowly drew her hand away and gazed at the creature, blue eyes met green and a name whispered through her mind.
 
“Storm Pearl. That is your name?” Ari fearing she looked silly asked the dragon she suspected of being a girl in a very quiet voice. Lightening flashed and Thunder boomed in the distance frightening Ari and competing with Storm Pearl's answering whistle.
 
It was a cheerful high pitched squeal bounding through the clearing and ringing off in a soothing echo.
 
Storm Pearls mouth opened wider and deep from her throat raised a gruff growl racing towards the sky and silencing the thunder almost immediately. Strange powers seemed to be the least of her.
 
Û°Û°Û°
Eoin still stooped near the door slowly advanced upon Ari and the amazing creature.
 
“Ari?” He spoke softly, still far away from them. “Sir Mallot knows about Dragons, I think it would be best if I went to wake him up.”
 
Not even waiting for recognition from her he quickly and silently made his way back into the house, drawing little attention from the pair.
 
The moments between his leaving and his return were spent in silence, Ari was slowly moving towards Storm Pearl, and Storm Pearl was gazing at her with intelligent eyes.
 
The squeak of the door opening, announcing the arrival of Eoin and Mallot, startled the two out of their staring match.
 
Sir Mallot not missing a beat walked straight up to Storm Pearl and introduced himself.
 
“Hello, I am Sir Mallot of the village Alva, Dwarf Goblin of the second generation, kin to Dragon friends.” So many titles were a mouth full but he managed to spew them out in what appeared to be the correct order. He bowed low and smiled kindly at the dragon, which in turn whistled a greeting and turning away from Ari, lowered her muzzle in a dragon bow.
 
“If you don't mind Ari, I need you to go with Eoin into town to get some stuff. Also whilst there pick up some clothes for yourself.” Sir Mallot's head bobbed up and down absently while he beckoned Storm Pearl, who left her spot at Ari's side to follow Sir Mallot through the coverings of leaves and trees into the forest.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
Ari stared after them confused before turning to Eoin, mouth beginning to open.
 
“Best not to ask.” Said Eoin holding up a hand to stop her question. “I think it would be best to do what Sir Mallot asks and run to town, I have some stuff to pick up anyways.”
 
Eoin extended a hand to Ari and pulled her up off of the grass, imprinted with her shape, when she took it. She seemed to be struggling to hold her mouth shut but she managed to keep it that way until they started to walk towards Sir Mallot well worn dirt path leading from the cottage out into the woods, in the opposite direction she had traveled yesterday to get to the Elder tree. Eoin hand still holding hers still going unnoticed.
 
“How does Sir Mallot know so much about the ways of dragons when they haven't been seen for centuries? And further more what does he mean second generation?” She quickly followed after Eoin who had now let go of her hand and took off in a brisker pace, his leather boot clad feet kicking up dust from the dry road. He glanced back at Ari briefly before slowing down and letting Ari pull herself even with his stance.
 
No answer came to her questions for so long that Ari feared she would not get an answer.
 
 
“Second generation means second line branched off from the ruling line of the Goblins. Goblins originally live under ground in the many branching caves running through the world interior. Thing was that being all branched out made for wide controversy between many goblins living in different parts of the world. So greatly feared war did the Goblins that they set up a huge city a center for all trade and farming, Mirrock. Mirrock was situated in the largest underground cave discovered at that point in time, several centuries ago. Things settled down with the establishment of Mirrock but under the surface the race was at its boiling point and war was right around the corner; threatening to tear families apart.”
 
Eoin paused in his lecture of Goblin history, scuffing his boot against the dirt and lifting his head to look at the sky searching in the ever familiar blue, eyes traveling along with the many flight bound birds and muggorts, tiny little brown creatures with large feathered wings but sustaining the body of human proportions.
 
“So what happened?” Ari's melodic voice pulled him out of his musing and he sighed, breathing in fresh crisp air colored with the smell of old bark and decomposing earth wavering out of the trees surrounding.
 
“They went to war. The carnage left no cavern untouched by the taint of blood. The air became forever stained with the metallic zing of blood and families were indeed torn apart. Tiny little babies spent their days screaming for their mommies, many of them had perished in the wave of offending forces. Brothers killed brothers, and father's fought against sons. The old and elderly became far and few, knowledge of past generations, wise and old, disappeared leaving the race to strive to understand the secrets to a war-free peace. Goblins nearly wiped themselves completely out, less then three thousand still remained alive. Finally all the fight left them; the once screaming children had grown into war weary teenagers, the future generation. With not taste for war they rebuilt the once splendid Mirrock right down to the very last spire that rose out of the majestic and icy slopes of the Dragon Mountains. They elected the chief builder to look out over the city and to rule with a kind heart. His living space was located in the Dragon spire, it you can't already tell, it was the only spire that breached the outside world. Evidentially it was big enough to accommodate several full grown adult dragons, which had populated the mountains vastly. It was not long before he had gained the title of dragon friend. The person that they chose had been named Sir Mallot Dragon friend.”
 
He paused for his word to sink in and have effect and Ari stopped walking all together.
 
“Wait does that mean- does that mean that this Dragon friend is the same Sir Mallot who is housing me?” Ari folded her arms across her chest looking at the now stopped Eoin, who in turn stared back at her with an unreadable face; a light breeze blowing a stray limp curl into his eyes.
 
“No, but,” He swiped at the stray piece of hair only to have it return to the same place on the passing wind, “The have the same linage and mind. Sir Mallot was named so by his Goblin mother because when he was younger he appeared to be the spitting image of the now deceased Sir Mallot ruler. Not but a few years after his birth it became known that he contained the knowledge that had died with Sir Mallot the original. Had the Goblin world allowed it Sir Mallot would be ruler of the hidden city, but because he was born of the second branched off line he was not eligible for the throne spire. But that was several years ago, almost two hundred years to be exact, since then he has made himself familiar with all parts of the forest and every creature imaginable under the sun. Every creature except for a dragon which deep down I know has been the one creature he has yearned to see, to befriend, and to share a home with. I suspect Storm Pearl, as you called her, will be with us for quiet a while, which is well enough because she seems to think you're her mother.”
 
They had started walking again and the faint sounds of bustling streets met their ears on a willowy weave of wind, bringing with it the smell fresh baked bread and smoked meat.
 
“So let me see if I understand,” Ari began, chewing on her lip with a concentrated look on her face, “Sir Mallot is the reincarnation of the dragon friend and ruler Sir Mallot, he is from a second branched off line restricting him from being ruler of a hidden away and ancient city populated by Goblins. Sir Mallot's mother was a Goblin which leaves his father to be the dwarf. He is alittle over two hundred years old and basically that him in a nutshell.”
 
Finishing the synopsis with one breath was Ari's forte at the moment and Eoin looked at her in amusement before jerking his head into a short nod.
 
Û°Û°Û°
 
The dirt path faded into the sun as it topped a hill, a breeze blew around loose dirt. As Ari and Eoin topped the hill in silence at a steady pace the village of Alva came into view.