Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Catch and Release ❯ Hat Rack/Pick a Color ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Original Prompt :: Pick a Color
New Title :: Hat Rack
Word Count :: 273
 
 
I am Brown
 
I am the color of rich deep earth
The color of warm, decadent drink the morning
And warmth for blistery afternoons
The color of the cheeks of hard working ancestors
Brown as tree bark in -
 
“I think they let a poet at the hat rack…” A grunt and lifting of wheat colored eyebrows answered out loud thought.
 
“What?” With the question those wheat lines twisted to confusion and the man walked toward the brightly clad female leaning over an equally bright and rather obnoxious hat rack. Brown tinted auburn hair popped up from the multicolored caps.
 
“Pick a color!” Those wheat brows cocked over brown eyes. Said eyes raked over each hat, each one a louder color then the last. No matter the style, ski cap or baseball, or type of material, knit or suede, each hat seemed to try and top the other. Coffee eyes went half closed in disinterest. Shaking a hand through her hair, looking hard at the caps, the other let go a sigh.
 
“You need a new one. That one's nearly thread bare.” The disinterested eyes narrowed, hand reaching for the cap that covered messy bed hair.
 
“There's nothing wrong with my hat.”
 
“Sure there isn't, you just want the world to see.” A grimace one and a grin on the other.
 
“Never again.”
 
“Then pick a color. Before I pick one for you.” The man blanched, the image of another dressed in all orange flashed in his head.
 
“Fine.” A grab for a seemingly knitted cap.
 
Soon a deep, dark brown hat covered wheat hair. And with a soft smile all suggestions ceased.