Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Catch and Release ❯ Nighttime/Boogieman ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Original Prompt :: Boogieman
New Title :: Nighttime
Word Count :: 412
Character(s) :: Lily
Almost there…almost! C'mon, just a little and - got'cha! The very tips of health nails nicked the off white switch making the bulb within the ceiling fan fizzle out. Pleased with herself and better yet still in the pleasant warmth of comforter and sheets, she tucked herself further under. Her strawberry blond hair trailed as she rolled to her more comfortable side and she yawned. She let her eyes fall shut, readied to drift off with the near completion of night time ritual. The last movement was thrown to the winds as a loud crack echoed off the walls and fell to her ears. Eyes flew open to the dark wall, the dancing red numbers of the clock in the corner of her eye.
There was nothing, no more sounds. She swallowed thickly, an acrid taste sliding down her throat. Sliding within the sheet cocoon, one pillow replaced the other under strawberry blond locks, the first now grasped for comfort in thin arms. With a final heaving exhale, tired eyes began to fall shut again. The glow of iridescent white danced before her in the last second. The next pump of her startled heart, as her eyes opened back wide, sent chilled blood down to her toes.
It was gone before she could blink and in a terrified movement she bolted straight up, pillow still clutched by hands now sporting white knuckles. Calm Lily, calm. But Lily was shaken and glanced in frightened bursts around the room. Checking the corner opposite the door, something blackened and undistinguished moved. The girl paled to porcelain. Lily sunk back to the soft mattress, frightened green orbs never leaving the moving mass. There was another crack about the house and the glob of black darted through the door way.
Lily scrambled from the bed covers, reaching for her door even as more appeared to her vision. Beyond the hall, the room across glowed in an eerie light. The black shape stood now in the door way and it reached for her, almost beckoning. Fear shook her body and when it made to step forward, her hand flitted out to snap back on the bed room light.
Lily looked about her room and in to the hall. Nothing was out of place; no glow remained in the other room. She knelt to the floor shaking and clutching her pillow. When Lily forced herself asleep again, her mind didn't register as her body felt something sit beside her.