Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Catch and Release ❯ Thieves/Catch and Release ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Original Prompt :: Catch and Release
New Title :: Thieves
Word Count :: 367
Character(s) :: Annai and Hiroshi
 
“Be careful,” a whisper and the other could see a little glint of teeth in dim, dim light.
I am! Why would it be booby trapped anyways?” a younger voice hissed back.
“You asked the same thing at the last one and, oh! Look at that one of us is bleeding!” The one attempting to gently dislodge the statue gave a grunt for an answer and an angry look. The other moved slowly back to the door. He looked out; violet eyes squinted in the light, long, pointed ears strained for sound.
“Maybe we should leave without it,” his accomplice, his brother, whispered now sounding worried.
“We can't do that. We'll never get back in here and she needs it back now.” The other gulped, turning to allow auburn bangs to hide his face and fully lifted the statue from place. For a single tense moment they did nothing. And then torches were lit by nothing and footsteps echoed everywhere. Obligatory curses left their mouths before stealth was abandoned and, statue in hand, they ran from the room and down the halls.
At the third turn down the rich corridors the brothers encountered the guards. In shock no one moved for a moment.
Then with a cry both were attacked by the armed men. In avoiding a particularly wicked blade, the younger fell through a rich tapestry and down a hidden passage. The older was quick to follow after a quick blow to the offending guard. When the thieves stumbled form their escape tunnel, finding themselves down a floor or so, it was another quick dash away from the place. As more heavy footsteps began to echo, the fluttering of a window's curtain caught their eyes. It was open.
They peered out it.
“I don't think I could make it without breaking the statue!” the younger's voice was frantic. He looked at his brother fearfully. The older took the statue and, with a moment's hesitation, jumped.
He landed safely upon the ground, statue intact if barely. But his brother didn't land behind him a moment later.
Annai looked up to the window to spy his brother's auburn hair. A guard's blade flashed in the torch light.
Hiroshi!