Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Catch and Release ❯ Ritual/Please Don't Kill the Freshmen ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Original Prompt :: Don't Kill the Freshmen
New Title :: Ritual
Word Count :: 488
Character(s) :: Hikari and Mic
 
Early is on time and on time is late. I'm barely into this and I'm already stuck with a mantra of all things. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, our old director, he was easy to listen to. He always had our attention. Maybe that's why they have him tell us first. Instead of our new director, I mean. After all, not one of us, not even those with older siblings really know what our new director looks like. It's a privilege for the incoming freshmen, us this year, to meet this person at our first day camp. Marching camp that is, in the school's parking lot.
We were excited to finally get that privilege. And we're not exactly listening to the `upperclassmen'. Pssh, how can you even call them that?! We don't have to listen to them. We're high school students now too, and part of this band. The new girl though, she's worried. She's trying to suck up quickly to the older marchers but we've been stealing her back to us. She always protests.
“But they're older! They've done this before. Shouldn't we listen to them?” No matter how many times we tell her `no', she still looks at them worriedly. She won't listen to us about things. I mean, she's new, shouldn't she listen to her peers because those `upperclassmen' certainly won't. But she runs to them so much that its about time we finally give up on it. What was it my eighth grade teacher used to say? Something about leading horses to water and changing spots? Something like that. Either way, if she wants to be led astray by them, then she will be. When one of the seniors tells us to `get in a block' we don't move too fast. After all, he's not the teacher. Our new director isn't even here. We got some bull about family problems.
And when its done, finally making it to the mid way point in the day, I know we did good. Because they don't even bother talking to us and the senior in my section is instructing the new girl again. What can you expect? Other seniors gather there too, and start talking. They're no better than us.
“`Kari!” Everyone stopped to look at the young man that was walking up to the band.
“Well…I think he's just about to out me here!” The voice came from the group of seniors and I caught sight of the grinning new girl. She walked out of the group with a smile as we stared.
“Come on Mic! I was trying' to get a feel for the freshmen! Y'know, ritual and all?” She stopped a bit from him and looked over her should with a toothy grin still on her face. I swear I saw fangs.
“Please, demonstrate how to hold the instruments and march. Yes, again. Oh, and seniors! Please don't kill the freshmen.”