Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Catch and Release ❯ And The Wind Carried Soft Music/In Your Dreams ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Original Prompt :: In Your Dreams
New Title :: And The Wind Carried Soft Music
Word Count :: 336
Character(s) :: Kathryn
 
Children were dancing, twirling with each other, laughing. And she was in the middle of them all as the wind carried soft music to their ears. The girls broke from the boys to swing in a large circle with bright smiles. The boys clapped and watched sisters and friends. And she stood there as a welcomed addition. So many children all so happy, it made her smile. The circle of girls broke and some ran to brothers, other paired together to happily swing around more.
One ran to her with a wide smile and arms outstretched. The little one giggled and latched onto her dress.
“Kathryn!” she laughed, “Kathryn, dance with me!” Kathryn smiled and nodded with vigor, her thick white hair bounced and the sun poured down. She took the little girl's hands, enveloped gently in her larger soft ones, and let the little one direct her. The little girl's big blue eyes shone with delight as the two spun and swayed to the music the wind carried.
Kathryn laughed softly, picking up the girl and twirled her around. The little one squealed in delight. With great care Kathryn set the little child in the warm sun and long grass. A young boy came to them and took hold of her skirt. His golden eyes were wide with fascination. A moment later she spun him too. All the children came to her and they swung around and around with the soft music in the wind, the warm sun everywhere, the long grass swaying.
With a bright smile she placed the last child down and they rushed to hug her. She dropped to her knees, enveloped them all. Her embrace warm, the children laughing. The sun shining, the music in the wind, the grass a sweet smelling shelter.
Then the sun went out.
What was beneath her was the cold stone; what warmed her, a thread bare blanket. What clutched her, ripped and decaying clothes. Tears streaked down her face as her imprisonment closed back in.