Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cavaliers ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter one
 
 
`A lot of things changed' he thought to himself as he passed by this familiar street.
 
 
Nobuaki is a small, poor town. It is divided into two sectors: inner Nobuaki that is also called the Peace Sector and outer Nobuaki, the ghetto. Ordinary civilians populate Peace Sector. It is the center of small businesses; mainly comprised of a marketplace where they sell some of their goods for a living. Though businesses do poorly, they are left with no other choice. The ghetto is the battlefield of rivaling gangs. Outside Peace Sector, evil reigns. Normal civilians live their lives in fear. Fear from being included in the battles surrounding them.
 
 
He is a tall, well-built man wearing a black shirt and black pants. Several people roam the streets and shoot him confused glares. New faces easily alert anyone in Nobuaki. He turned right as he reached the next corner and continued roaming around.
 
 
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
 
 
In an underground base lurks the group called Catz. Their job is to establish order in Nobuaki. In this place live the most troublesome people of all time. Catz has the responsibility to protect ordinary civilians that live inside Peace Sector against the activities of the groups.
 
A slim, emerald-eyed, pink-haired lady sat on her desk while discussing the latest news in Nobuaki with a tall, onyx-eyed, blonde lady.
 
“We know very well that there is an increasing number of theft cases around the marketplace.” The pink-haired lady said. Her name is Kazumi, the head of Catz.
 
“And the reports say that the people say that the people involved are from the group of the Bloody hounds.” The blonde lady said. She is part of the diplomats and her name is Shizuka. Kazumi together with the other four diplomats lead their group.
 
“And matters appear worse because of deaths that linger in the place.” A pig-tailed girl said as she entered the room.
 
“Ayumi, are you saying that the Bloody hounds may be associated with the killings?” Kazumi said.
 
She nodded in response.
 
“Actions must be taken as soon as possible.” Shizuka said strongly as she looked at Kazumi for approval.
 
“Yes” Kazumi said. “We'll discuss these matters thoroughly later at our meeting together with the two other diplomats.”
 
Then two ladies barged in the room with alarmed faces.
 
“Kazumi. We spotted a guy approaching our headquarters.” A pale-faced, raven-haired lady named Tomoko said.
 
“Is he from that fraternity again?” Kazumi asked.
 
“They never learned..” Shizuka commented.
 
“No. He's a new face.” The braided one with deep-set brown eyes by the name Tori said.
 
“Maybe a new recruit “ Ayumi said.
 
Then a telephone rang. Kazumi hastily picked it up.
 
`Kazumi, he has changed direction and is going to the ghetto.' The voice from the other side said.
 
“Okay, thanks.” She placed the phone back to the cradle. “He's not here to talk to us..”
 
“So he is not from that fraternity who wishes to make alliance with us either.” Shizuka said.
 
“Then we should track him down. He's new here and he might catch attention from the gangs. Nobuaki rarely receives visitors.” Tomoko said.
 
“I'll go and follow him.” Kazumi said.
 
Everyone shot glances at each other and gave out a sigh. They knew that her decision is final and no one could question that.
 
 
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
 
 
They've entered the ghetto, the center of gang fights, and things turned out to be pretty normal. The normal brawls, shouting, insults; meaning trouble. Kazumi has been following their target for quite some time already and things she somewhat expects happens. After some time, the diplomats called to check on Kazumi.
 
“Kazumi, where are you?” Shizuka said to the phone she held.
 
“In the ghetto. This guy surely attracts a lot of attention from passerby's.”
 
“Then I guess he's been engaged to a lot of fights already.” Tori said.
 
Kazumi gave out a defeated sigh. “This guy is freaky!” exclaimed Kazumi. “He avoids any fight that is present and runs away from threatening brawls. For the past hours, he has been aimlessly roaming around and he seems to have no destination at all! And what's annoying me mostly is that he lets some scumbags make fun of him! This guy is some heck of a loser..” pulling her tongue out as she ended her sentence.
 
“Okay now.. Kazumi, calm down. You're already fuming. The good side of things is that he is still out of trouble and he seems to be no threat himself.” The calm voice of Shizuka stated.
 
“Yeah I guess so..”
 
“Kazumi, you better leave the guy and go back to the headquarters so we could already talk about the issue pertaining to the Blood Hounds.” Ayumi suggested.
 
Kazumi considered her suggestion. “Alright. Be right back!” she cheerfully stated. Then they hung up.
 
The man seemed to go to another direction and looked like he was heading towards the woods. Kazumi decided to follow him some more and see what he's up to.
 
 
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
 
 
`What's this? A cat and mouse game?' she thought to herself. They are inside the thick forest and the sky begins to darken. It would surely rain. `The battery of my phone had run dead a few minutes ago. Great. What sheer luck I have. I should've returned to the headquarters just like what they told me and now I'm here at the middle if nowhere following a stranger.' Then she gave out a sigh.
 
The woods seem to grow denser and denser as they walk and thoughts about being lost at this thick forest scare her. It's already dark and thunders indicate the upcoming storm. She was lost in her thoughts when suddenly she heard someone talk, instincts told her to hide behind a tree. And so she did.
 
“Hey, hey, hey! What brings a stranger to the forest?” the voice of a man said. She glanced behind the tree and saw two men amusedly looking at the man she's following.
 
`He's in trouble. Those are not ordinary scumbags anymore. They have the insignia of the werewolves. Top-notch criminals. Damn.. Trouble.' She thought.
 
“What are you? Mute or something? Haha! This guy looks freakin' scared of us!” the taller man said
 
“Must've bit his tongue off!! Mwahahahaa!!” the shorter one cried out, laughing mischievously.
 
“Let's go rob this fella and finish him off `cause he's not worth our time anyways.”
 
“Yeah right.”
 
They walked towards him and brought out sharp knives.
 
“Don't even try to run away. You know you have nothing against us..” the taller one said as he approached the motionless figure of the man.
 
As swiftly as she could, she approached the troublemakers and gave the taller one a piece of her shoe. He flung backwards and lay unconscious. He definitely didn't expect that attack.
 
“Why you!!” the other one said after recovering from his state of shock he charged all his force to Kazumi. But years of combat made her body agile thus, avoiding his assault. She counter-attacked giving him a mighty punch in the stomach and he doubled over in pain.
 
“Hah! That's right for you!” She exclaimed. Glad due to her victory.
 
The man regained his composure swearing under his breath and gestured a whistle.
 
“Were not called werewolves for nothing! You'll pay!” He said. Then behind the bushes appeared fierce-looking wolves. “Mai! Attack them!” Upon declaring the command, the wolves readied themselves to attack.
 
“Oh no! We're on big trouble!” Screamed the scared Kazumi. She ran to the direction of the still motionless man and said, “Let's run!” Before pulling him with her as they escape the threatening wolves.
 
They ran deeper and deeper into the forest until such time that she felt they are safe from the wolves' wrath. She slowed down, apparently from the exhaustion of running around, and stopped to rest. She loosened her grip from his wrist and dropped to the ground catching her breath. After calming down, she looked at her companion. At first glance, she felt her heart skip beats. `He is absolutely handsome.. Midnight blue hair, smooth fair skin. And those dark blue eyes are truly captivating.' She brushed aside the thoughts as she felt her cheeks tinge red. But as soon as she recovered, she felt annoyance replace her admiration. `God! Is he human or something! He hasn't even broken a sweat whilst I have been extremely tired.' She thought to herself as she stood up.
 
An awkward silence spread between them but is suddenly disturbed upon the arrival of the nasty beasts. She hastily grabbed him again and continued to run further into the forest. She was now praying to all the gods she knew and hoping for their survival. Their escape was placed into a halt by a dead end.
 
`Great, we ended up at the side off a cliff. Guess our luck ends here..' she thought. Her heart was racing in her chest both from exhaustion and fear. The wolves slowly went closer to them and in a moment they were surrounded.
 
“What do we do now?” she asked him, but regretted it. `How could he come up with a solution anyway.. This is the end' then she looked up at the dark clouds and the flashing thunder. `I never expected my death to be like this.' She grinned at her own thoughts.
 
His voice interrupted her trance. “Let's jump.” He said in a calm and melodious tone.
 
“What??” she protested but the next thing she knew was that they were falling from that dangerous cliff.
 
 
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --
 
 
It all happened so fast. The man grabbed Kazumi and jumped off the cliff. As they were falling the high altitude, the man released a pair of black wings, stretching them at first and then fully flying their way to safety.