Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter Five

Samantha opened her eyes to find herself sitting in the front passenger seat of a car. In her hands she held her Meephit, however it looked different then she remembered. She ran a hand across the creatures fur and noticed that it felt old and worn, as if the toy had been though many hand instead of fresh out of it package. She let her fingers trace over the toy’s plastic eyes and could feel small bumps and scratches upon its surface. How could the creature suddenly age the way it had and where was she anyway?

“Don’t you like your toy?” A warm, loving, voice nervously inquired from the drivers seat.

Samantha turned to see a strange woman smiling back at her. Here hair was black as ash and her skin fair and white. Samantha could see motherly love in the woman’s eyes when she glanced her way, “It is great, thank you mom.” Sam heard herself suddenly say.

“I’m sorry I could not afford a new one for you.” The woman said dismally, “Money is tight with your father gone.”

Samantha set her hand upon her mother’s. “Don’t worry.” She soothed, “I love it. I really do. Thank you.”

The woman smiled at her then turned to face the road again.

Sam puzzled over what had happened to her. She glanced out the window to see a familiar series of houses pass by. She was still in her hometown, but that did not explain the strange woman sitting next to her or the fact that she could not control her body. She caught a glimpse of herself in the car’s side mirror and was stunned by what she saw. Staring back at her was the face of a beautiful young girl with long black hair that shone like strains of ebony and skin so pale that they make Beth look like she had a tan. The girl’s eyes were dark blue with large eyelashes that nearly touched the girl’s fine dark eyebrows. Samantha found herself transfixed by the image before her. Had she been reborn in a new body? Was this her birthday present after all the hellish things she had suffered through? She pondered over this as she stared down at the toy in her hand. Maybe it was this toy’s doing. Could the Meephit have the power to transport her into a different body entirely? The thought of which was exciting and somewhat frightening. She tried to think of what to do when a voice entered her mind.

((What are you doing in here?)) The voice gently inquired.

Samantha looking around in search of the voices, she tried to speak but could not find her own voice.

((Don’t try to speak.)) The voice remarked calmly, ((Just think of what you wish to say.))

((W... who are you?)) Samantha thought, her own voice suddenly echoing in her mind.

((I am Star.)) The voice stated, ((This is my body. I should be asking who you are?)) She added firmly.

((What?!?)) Samantha tried to fathom how she could end up inside someone else’s mind, ((I... I’m sorry... I... I...)) She stammered, she did not know how one was supposed to act when they found themselves inside another’s mind.

“Star, are you alright honey?” Star’s mother asked, giving her daughter a curious look.

Star smiled at her mother, “I’m fine mom.” She replied, “Just another lost soul trying to find its way home.”

The woman’s smile faltered for a moment, “Alright dear. Just help them along their way quickly.” She nervously stated and she turned her eyes back to the road, “We should be home soon.”

((You’re taking this rather well.)) Samantha remarked, thankful that she did not end up in a hostile mind, ((Although your mother seems to be bit uneasy.))

Star shrugged, ((It happened to me a few times as well, when I was younger.)) She remarked simply, ((She get’s a little worried when other people enter my mind is all. Now, what is your name and do you remember how you got here?)) She inquired gently.

((Oh, sorry...)) Samantha apologized for her rudeness, ((I’m Samantha. I was heading home and suddenly the door opened and the next thing I know my mother hit me in the head with a vase.)) She frantically explained.

((Ouch!)) Star cringed at the mere thought of the accident, ((Well Samantha, I am Star. It is nice to meet you. You probably were knocked out and you need to return to your body before it dies, along with you.)) She stated collectedly.

Sam wondered how anyone could take something like this so calmly. She must have had to deal with a lot of death in her years in order to not be phased by the idea of meeting someone who may soon be dead, ((Do you know how I can get back to my body?)) She inquired worriedly.

((Sometimes it’s easy and others it isn’t.)) Star stated weakly, ((Once I had a little boy’s mind inside of my head for three months before I was able to return him to his body.))

Samantha shuddered at the idea of being trapped in someone else’s mind for that long, ((I hope that won’t happen this time.)) She remarked restlessly, ((Not to say you are not a nice girl, you are beautiful. I mean that is... Well...)) She felt herself flush and hoped that the girl did not notice.

Sam felt Star blush, it was a warm feeling that made Sam smile to herself, ((Thank you...)) Star said shyly, ((I am sure you are pretty too.))

Sam shook her head dismally, ((I’m rather boring looking.)) She explained solemnly, ((My hair is a pain and my body still looks like a child’s. I hate the way I look.))

((Maybe I will get a chance to see for myself.)) Star remarked with a grin, ((Now is there anything else you remember before you blacked out? Like something you were holding or wearing that you felt a special attachment too, every small detail helps.))

Samantha glanced down at the stuffed toad in the girl’s hands, ((I had a Meephit just the one you have, only it was newer.)) She mentioned curiously.

Star held the toy up and looked at it, ((My mother picked this up from a garage sale. It was a gift for my sixteenth birthday, which is tomorrow.))

((Really!?!)) Samantha exclaimed excitedly, ((I got mine for my sixteenth birthday as well and guess what? It is tomorrow too. Wow!!))

((That is interesting.)) Star milled over what she had been told, ((Well then, let’s see if this works. Try lightly closing your eyes and think about that toy. If we are lucky it is still close to you and you will be able to use it to track your body.))

((Are you sure this will work?) Sam inquired nervously, ((I mean what will happen if I get stuck in someone else’s body?))

((Not likely to happen.)) Star informed the girl, ((Once you have grounded yourself in one person’s body you are more likely to simply return to that body if you don’t find your own. If that happens we will just try to find another way to work things out.)) She explained.

Samantha was still sceptical of the plan, but decided it was better then nothing, ((I’ll try it then.)) She half-heartedly agreed.

Star gave a warm smile, ((It was nice meeting you, Samantha.)) She said, ((I hope to be able to meet you again in the future.))

((I like the thought of that.)) Samantha stated then frowned, ((That is to meet up in my real body and not return to your mind... you know...))

Star nodded, ((I know what you mean. Good luck))

Samantha lightly closed her eyes and tried to concentrate on the feeling of that strange toy. She could feel its warmth in her hand and the fuzziness of its body against her fingers. She suddenly realized that its fur had returned to its original soft plush. Excitedly she focussed upon that feeling and her mind abruptly flew through the air. A world of Technicolor images rushed through her mind and she soared with the wind in her hair. Just as she was beginning to enjoy the feeling she abruptly stopped and began to fall from the sky. She was plunged into complete darkness as her body toppled downward at an increasing rate. Terrified of what was happening she clenched her eyes shut as she prepared for the inevitable impact, however her body landed upon something soft and bounced ever so slightly then settled back down again.

“I think she is coming too.” A strange voice from above her said.

Sam could feel a warm bed beneath her body and something soft in her right hand. Cautiously opened her eyes to see her Meephit was tightly gripped in her hand, its fur as new as she remembered it and its eyes no longer covered in scratched. She let out a sigh of relief at the sight of the things. For the first time she was glad to have the strange toy in her hands. Star was right; it was still close to her. Someone must have placed it in her hand while she lay unconscious. She smiled down at the creature.

“Oh my, she has opened her eyes!!!” Someone exclaimed in excitement. Samantha glanced up to see a tall, thin woman dressed in a nurse’s uniform hovering over her with an expression of extreme happiness upon her face.

“I’ll find a doctor.” Another woman out of Samantha’s sight said then rushed off.

“Samantha? Samantha can you hear me?” The nurse called softly out to the girl.

“W...who are you?” Samantha choked. Her voice felt dry and her eyes darted around the room to find herself lying in a hospital with wires attached to her body, a tub coming out of her arm, another from her nose, and a monitor beeping over her head as many people rushing around her.

“I am Nurse Janis.” The woman stated, “You had a bit of an accident.” She explained softly, fluffing the girl’s pillows and checking an IV on a pole next to her bed.

“I want to go home.” Samantha tried to sit up only to have the woman hold her down.

“You need to lay down.” The nurse demanded, “You have a nasty bump on your head and you are lucky to not be coma.”

“Or worse...” Samantha mumbled and touched the bandages upon her head and wincing at the pain that shot through her skull, “How long was I out for?” She asked through clenched teeth.

The nurse glanced at her watch, “About eight or nine hours. It is two a.m. now. Happy birthday by the way.” She congratulated the girl. “You are now sixteen. How does it feel?”

Samantha layback on the pillows as a wave of dizziness circled about her head, “I didn’t miss it.” She breathed with sigh of relief.

((I’m glad to see you made it back.)) Star’s voice echoed through her head, ((And you didn’t miss your birthday either.)) Samantha could hear a smile upon the girl’s voice.

Samantha’s eyes opened wide in surprise, “STAR!?!” She exclaimed aloud, “What are you doing here?”

The nurse jumped at the girl’s words and looked around herself, “Who are you talking to?” She inquired frantically.

Star shrugged, ((Don’t worry. I’m not in your body.)) Star assured the girl, ((However, our minds seem to be linked in some strange way. I’m not sure how but it looks like we will get a chance to know each other after all.))

Samantha abruptly sat up, “WHAT!?!”

*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com