Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter Six

For the next hour Samantha found herself surrounded by a group of doctors and nurses as they asked her a multitude of questions and tested her for any possible brain damage or signs of her relapsing in to a state of unconsciousness. During the entire time she never saw even a glimpse of her parents or her little sister anywhere. She was certain they must be worried about her, sure they may have disliked her, but that would not explain why they would not be there.

“W... where is my family?” She finally inquired, glancing at the many faces around her. She could see the question made them uneasy as they glanced to one another for an answer to give. Finally nurse Janis spoke.

“Do you remember what hit you?” The nurse inquired lightly, her face long with worry.

Samantha blinked at the woman, “Yeah, my mother threw a vase at my father, but hit me instead.”

The nurse cleared her throat, “Well you see...” She looked up at the doctor as if in search of what to say when someone knocked at the door.

“Can I talk to the girl yet?” A woman dressed in a grey business suit asked from around the white curtain that hung around Samantha’s bed.

The doctor placed his stethoscope around his neck and straightened, “I guess so, but try to not upset her too much, alright?” He informed then turned to the girl “This woman is from social services and needs you to tell her what happened. Are you alright with talking to her alone?” The doctor asked Samantha, “Or would you like one of the nurses to stay with you?”

Sam tensed up at the idea of Social Services wanting to talk to her. She had hear stories of children being taken away from their parents for saying the wrong thing and the thought that she could end up in an orphanage scared her more then living with her mother. She glanced up at nurse Janis and reached out for the woman’s hand, “Can you stay with me?” She asked weakly. She was not sure she wanted to be alone when woman gave whatever news she had.

“Is that alright with you, Janis?” The doctor inquired.

Janis slipped her hand through the bars at the side of Sam’s bed and took her hand, “I would be delighted to stay at your side.” She said to Samantha with a smile upon her face.

The doctor nodded then turned to the Social worker, “Try not to be too long. She is weak and lost a bit of blood. I don’t want her under too much stress alright?”

The woman nodded as opened up a briefcase and pulled out a folder, “I’ll make this quick.”

The doctor nodded again then left the room with the other nurses behind him.

Samantha’s watched the women carefully as she paced before her bed, sifted through papers in a brown leather folder she held in her hands. She appeared to be in her mid to late twenties with short brown hair, neatly cut and curled outward around her neck, feathering out at the ends. Her suit was pressed without a single wrinkle in sight and she wore a tie tightly around her neck and tucked into her suit jacket. Her legs were clad in a matching pair of slacks that has been ironed so there was a crease along the front of each leg. One would have thought her as an extremely professional businesswoman if it weren’t for the way she fumbled with the papers in her folder and searched for a pen in the briefcase that threatened to spill its contents upon the floor. Her modest clumsiness only eased Samantha’s nerves ever so slightly, it was the way she smiled at the girl when she finally recovered her pen that made Sam’s heart slow in pace and relax ever so slightly. Sam could sensed no hate or anger towards her in those soft blue eyes, in fact she was almost certain that she saw them faintly twinkle as their eyes met and this caused the girl to flush lightly and glance down at her hands, which still held her Meephit.

“Hello Samantha.” The women finally greeted the girl as she sat upon a chair next to the bed, “My name is Linda Polaski and I just need to ask you a few questions.” She held her hand out towards the girl only to have it starred at in return.

Sam’s mind froze at the sight of the woman’s long fingers extended out towards her. She feared touching the woman and she knew it was irrational, but she could not help it. All she could do is stare at the hand, examining the perfectly short trimmed nail as if it were some alien object. She tried to will her hand to take the woman’s but it would not respond, it was as if the command was being blocked by something. She quickly turned away from the hand and squeezed her eyes shut against the frustrated tears that threatened to emerge.

((Samantha, are you alright?)) Star softly spoke up inside of her head.

((Have you been listening the whole time?)) Samantha inquired nervously.

((Sorry.)) Star apologized guiltily, ((I can’t help it. We are stuck together remember.))

Sam let out a sigh, ((Yeah... This is just too weird.))

((Do you want me to go away?)) Star inquired disappointedly.

Sam shook her head, ((No… no, I want you to stay… I just…))

((What is wrong? Is there something I can do?)) Star offered.

Sam could feel the concern in the girl’s voice and it made her heart warm knowing someone cared about her. It was strange in the few hours since she had awaken Star had not said much of anything and yet Sam could feel her presence all around her. She had a hard time distinguishing if it was her own heart that was racing or Stars, she figured it must be her own because Star had little to fear at that moment. She was used to having people’s minds in hers and this made Sam feel insecure. She did not know what to say to the girl and at the same time did not want her to leave her side.

((I… I can’t move my arm…)) Sam finally explained, feeling both pathetic and ashamed that she could not complete a simple task as this.

((You were moving it for the doctor a moment ago.)) Star noted firmly, ((It should be fine.))

“Samantha?” The nurse waved a hand before the girl’s eyes and Sam abruptly looked up at the women, “Are you alright?”

Sam glanced around to find the two women were watching her intently and she felt a rush of heat rise up around the back of her neck, “I… I…” She stammered as she tried to find some kind of answer for the women.

((Tell them about your arm.)) Star stated calmly, ((They will understand.))

Samantha looked down at her hand, “I… I’m having troubles moving my arm.” She stated timidly.

Janis lead over the bed and took Samantha’s hand in her, then bent the fingers, “Do you feel that?”

Samantha could feel the smoothness of Janis’s fingers on her skin as she proceeded to move one finger after another, “Slightly.” She mumbled embarrassed by the tingle that ran through her body at the woman’s touch. She was never this sensitive to touch before and abruptly her hand recoiled out of the nurse’s hand.

“Oh!” Janis blinked in surprise, “Did I hurt you?

“N… no…” Sam cradled her arm close to her chest, “It… it just jumped…”

Janis patted the girl on the shoulder, “You may find some troubles every now and then, but try not to worry about it too much. The doctor says your injuries were not as bad as they could have been.”

((See? I told you not to worry.)) Star exclaimed happily.

Sam smiled nervously, “Thanks.” She said to the nurse, ((Thanks too Star.)) she added internally.

“How badly was she injured?” Linda asked the nurse.

Samantha found herself startled by the woman’s presence. She had nearly forgot the woman was sitting beside her and spun around to face her once again, a shocked look upon her face. The woman returned Samantha’s stares with a curious gaze.

“Do you not remember me?” She inquired worriedly.

Samantha slowly nodded, she did remember the woman, however for a brief moment was not aware that the woman was there and this unsettled her immensely, “I… I’m sorry. I…”

((Don’t worry about that woman.)) Star repeated, trying to sooth the girl’s worries, ((She probably just wants to know what happen is all.))

((But what should I say?)) Samantha anxiously inquired, ((What if they want to take me away from my mother and my friends?))

((Hmmm...)) Star pondered the possibility of that outcome, ((Try not to worry so much. I’ll be here with you so don’t worry.))

((Thanks)) Samantha gave a half smile that made the woman stare at her with even more puzzlement.

“Are you alright Samantha?” She inquired, making the girl jump every so slightly.

“I...” Her eyes darted around in search for an answer to the woman’s question.

((Just tell her your head hurts.)) Star suggested.

Sam lightly touched her bandaged head and closed her eyes, “My head hurts.” She echoed.

The woman frowned and glanced at the nurse, “How badly was she hurt?” She inquired again.

“She has a severe concussions.” The nurse remarked watching Samantha carefully, “and the doctor retrieved a few fragments of glass from her forehead before stitching the wound shut, but other then that she is fine.”

Lisa turned back to Samantha, “Sam... can I call you Sam?”

Sam nodded slowly.

“Can you tell me what happened tonight?” Linda gently asked.

“I... is my mother in trouble?” Sam inquired uneasily.

Linda nervously ran a hand through her hair, “Not at the moment.” She stated a mix of worry and unsureness covered her face, “Now she claims that she hit you by accident.”

“Where is she?” Samantha demanded, “Why isn’t she here?” Suddenly agitated by the absents of her parents, “Shouldn’t my parents be here if you are questioning me?”

Linda let out a sigh; “She can’t see you right now.” She regretfully admitted.

“Why can’t I see her?” Sam set her angry eyes on the woman, “Has she been arrested?” She may have had disagreements with her mother but she did not want her to get into trouble because of her.

“She is being questioned by an officer right now.” Lisa explained, “We are trying to piece together how you ended up laying on the front lawn with a concussion.” She flipped through her notes, “Your mother claimed that she accidentally hit you with a vase, do you remember that?”

Samantha slowly nodded, ((I’m scared Star.)) She miserably said inside her head, hoping the girl was still listening.

She could feel Star take a deep breath, ((So am I.)) Star admitted, ((I don’t know what to do to help you.))

“This is all my fault...” Sam muttered, tears forming in the corners of her eyes, “If I only stopped acting like a child then none of this would have happened.”

Nurse Janis lowered herself into a chair next to Samantha’s bed, “None of this is your fault.” She cooed, patting the girl’s hand, “What would make you think something like that?”

“If... if I’d just gone home like I was supposed to.” Sam chocked back a sob, “If I just stopped running from everything. Then none of this would have happened. I’m sixteen and... I... can’t stop myself... from... c... crying.” A dam broke inside of Samantha’s heart and tears began to steadily flow.

Janis collapsed the bar long the side of the bed and sat down next to the girl, wrapping her arms around Sam and holding her lightly, “It’s alright. You are safe now.” She rubbed the girl’s back as she spoke.

“I’m sorrrryyyy....” Sam wailed into the nurse’s shoulder as an uncontrollable wave of sadness washed over her. All her life she wished to be free of her mother and now it might actually happen and it frightened her to no end. Earlier she screwed up her friendship with Tristan and now she was going to loss her family. What a lousy birthday this was turning out to be.

Janis sat upon the corner of the bed and held the girl as her body racked with sobs. She glanced up at Linda and nodded towards the door.

As if Linda understood she retreated from the room, “I’ll come back later then.” She stated as she left the room, at a loss for words.

Janis lightly stroked Samantha’s back and the girl’s tears began to slowly subside. She looked down at Samantha, who now lay with her head upon the nurse’s lap, “Are you feeling any better?” She asked softly.

Sam shook her head, “M... My head hurts.” She stated through the last of the sobs.

“Do you want me to ask the doctor for something for it?” The nurse offered.

Again Sam shook her head, “What’m I going to do?” She inquired sorrowfully, “Where am I going to stay?”

Janis petted the girl’s head, “Try not to worry about that right now. Just rest up for now.” She suggested.


*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com