Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter Thirteen

Sam found herself surrounded by darkness. She reached out with her mind for Star but could not feel the girl’s essence anywhere. It was as if the girl’s entire existence had vanished and with it Sam felt a part of herself had been violently torn for her. She swam through the blackness, frantically in search of the girl, not willing to believe that Star was no longer with her. After a time she realized that Star could not hear her anymore and a lump began to form inside of her heart, weighing her down heavily.

Slowly Sam began to open her eyes, which felt as if they were made of lead, and she groaned as she tried to sit only to collapse back onto the bed, clenching at her right eye as red-hot embers flashed through her head. She let out a scream of agony as the physical pain, coupled with the emotional agony, filled her chest.

Trish appeared at her side, “Sam? Sam it’s me, Trisha. What happened?”

Sam’s good eye tiredly searched the room until it came upon Trish’s face. “It hurts…” She moaned, clenching tightly to her chest and the emptiness the filled her, trying to keep it from swallowing her whole. “I… It feels like my head and stomach are on fire…” She said dryly, her mouth felt like sandpaper and her throat burned, “I need something to drink.”

“I’ll go get a doctor.” Sam heard Diana say and the door to the room quickly opening.

“Here.” Trish held a glass of water with a long bendable straw close to Sam’s lips, helping the girl lift her head to take a sip, “Can you tell me what happened?” Trish whispered into the girl’s ear.

“I… I can’t feel her anymore” Sam explained, tears running around her head and into her ear, and she buried her face in the pillow as a pained sob overcame her.

Trish placed the glass back on the table and wrapped her arms around Sam’s shoulders, “Shhhh…” She soothed, rubbing the girl’s back as she sobbed into the pillow.

A doctor suddenly rushed into the room with a nurse close beside him, “Excuse me miss.” He said politely as he moved Trish out of the way.

Sam reached out towards her friend, “D… don’t leave me…” She pleaded.

The pained look in Sam’s eyes tugged on Trish’s heart and she reached out to take the girl’s hand, being sure to stay out of the way of the doctor.

The doctor looked as if he was about to say something to the nurse then reconsidered and nodded for the nurse to go to the other side of the bed, and then began to examine the girl, “Can you tell us what happened? Where does it hurt?” He asked as he shone a light into her eye.

”I… I don’t know.” Sam explained in slow laboured breathes, she was finding it hard to breath and her heart kept pounding out of control, “It feels like there is a weight on my chest and my head and stomach hurt.” She said, moving her hand to her side, still feeling the hot blood upon her fingers and running down her hip.

The doctor moved the girl’s hand, “Where?” He inquired, pulling up her gown, “Oh my god…” He breathed as he stared at the girl’s side.

“Holy hell…” Trish stared in shock, not believing what she saw.

“What?” Sam looked down at what they were staring at to see a circular scar about the size of a nickel, ten or so centimetres to the left of her bellybutton. The moment her eyes feel upon the mark she knew what had happened to her friend and why she did not respond any longer. Sam did not want to believe it, but knew deep inside that the reason Star no longer respond was because she was no longer apart of the living world and this thought ripped through her heart like the bullets through her friend. Suddenly she bulked and curled into a tight ball as a sense of loss overwhelmed her and she let out another series of sobs, her hand never letting go of Trisha’s.

The doctor ignored the girl’s display as he took a moment to examine her back and made another shocked sound, “There is another one here.” He stated in amazement, “A through and through.” He breathed.

“But how?” The nurse asked, as she stroked the girl’s back, trying with vain to sooth the girl’s wounded heart.

The doctor leaned in close to the girl, “Samantha?” The doctor said to the girl, trying to get her attention, “I need you to stay calm for a moment and tell me where else it hurts.”

Sam uncurled one arm from her stomach pointed above her right eyebrow, under the layers of bandages, “H… here.”

With shaky hands the doctor rolled up the edge of the bandage and quickly took a step back, “I… I need a second opinion.” He said as he ran out the door.

Trish stared at her friend’s forehead, and breathed in disbelief, “Mom, is that what I think it is?”

Her mother put a hand to her mouth and nodded, “What happened to her?” She asked in pained astonishment, “H… how… who… who would shot a child?”


*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com