Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 23

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter Twenty-three

Over the next week Sam caught a glimpse of Star every now and then, keeping her distance for fear of what might happen if they came in contact with each other. Beth had the same lunch hour with them as well as Star so she spent her lunches apart from Trish and Sam for the time being. This saddened Trish slightly, but she spent much of the time with Sam, trying to keep the girl’s mind off the nightmare that was closing upon them. As the days passed all three girls became more and more uneasy and it showed. They began looking over their shoulders as they walked down the street, fearing that Star’s father could be watching them at any moment. Even though Trish and Sam knew that the man would not be after them they still could not help feeling a bit paranoid knowing a killer was stalking the streets. Then the week before Sam’s birthday she saw him.

“Trish…” She nudged her friend as Trish looked over a t-shirt at the front of one of the shops in the mall.

Trish glanced up at her friend and saw the frightened look in her eyes, “What is it?” She scanned around in search of what had caught her friend’s attention when she saw him. He was sitting in the food court, not far from where they stood, eating a burger as he read the newspaper, “Shit, is that him?” She inquired anxiously.

Sam nodded, her fist clenched into fists, “Let’s go.” She quickly turned away from the man and started out of the mall.

Trish raced after her friend, glancing over her shoulder a couple of times at the man, “Oh my god, I can’t believe he’s really here. I mean I knew this day would come, but I never thought we would run into him before the final day.”

Sam shakily tried to put the key in her bike lock and failed, “I can’t believe he had the guts to just sit there in the open like that.” She suddenly stood and looked around, “Did Beth say she was bring Star to the mall today?”

Trish shook her head, “They were going to the movies at West Mall.” She stated with certainty.

Sam continued to glance around her, “What about her mother? Star’s mother?”

Trish shrugged, “I don’t know. We have only been keeping an eye on Star. She could be anywhere.”

Sam felt panicked and started to head back to the mall, “We have to see if she is here.”

Trish grabbed the girl by the hand, “Then what?” She insisted, “He is not going to do anything for another couple of days so calm down. If you make a scene now he will know we’ve spotted him and all of our plans will be ruined.”

Sam punched at the door in frustration, “I can’t believe we have to just let him sit there like that. I feel so helpless.” She let out a tired sigh and sat down upon one of the railings that bordered the walkway to the entrance.

Trish set a hand upon her shoulder and squeezed it lightly, “We have no choice, but now we know for sure he is here. We are one step ahead of him so lets keep it that way.”

Sam took one final look at the mall and gave a nod of agreement, then snarled at the building, “I’ll make him regret ever coming after my Star.”


*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com