Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 24

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter Twenty-four

The weekend of Sam’s birthday come around much quicker then any of the girls were prepared for. Unlike the past year which Sam’s birthday landed on a Saturday this year it fell on a Sunday, which worked out perfectly for their plans. They arranged to have a sleepover at Beth’s place Saturday night, much to Diana’s disappointment, so they could go over their plans with Jasmine one last time and head out first thing Sunday morning to stop the madness that was about to happen.

“Tomorrow is the day girls, you sure you are ready to go through with this?” Jasmine nervously.

The three girls nodded confidently. They spent much of the night talking over school and movies, while trying to not think about what it was they were planning to do first thing in the morning. Each of them harbouring fears of what might happen if they made one wrong calculation. They all knew the risks they were taking and were prepared as they would ever be to do what it took to save the lives of Star and her mother.

The night was the longest in their lives as they lay in sleeping bags on the living room floor. They set the alarms for the crack of dawn knowing that Star would be leaving extremely early in order to attempt a visit with Sam at the hospital. None of them got much sleep that night as they worried over the possibilities of the upcoming day. None more then Sam, who found herself unable to sleep and finally went to the balcony to get some air, shortly after she was accompanied by Jasmine, who offered the girl a cup of hot chocolate. The nights had gotten cool quickly and she accepted the drink gratefully.

“You going to be alright?” Jasmine inquired seriously as she gazed out over the cityscape.

Sam looked down at her mug and let out a long sigh, “I don’t know. I’m so worried about tomorrow and what will happen when Star seems me in person.” She said restlessly, “She never got to see what I look like so I’m afraid she will be disgusted with me and not want to even be my friend.”

Jasmine turned and lightly placed a hand under the girl’s chin, studying the girl’s features, “You’re right, you are a little demon aren’t you?” She kidded with the child only to have Sam pull back irately and stare out at the stars, brooding. Jasmine stepped up behind the girl and hugged her in a way that only a mother could, “You are beautiful.” She insisted softly, “If I had a second daughter I would like her to be like you.”

Sam lowered her head in shame, “I’m not beautiful.” She stated miserably, “I’m so plain I can’t stand it. Not even my own mother wanted me.” Tears began to roll down her soft cheeks, “She gave up any chance of seeing me, she didn’t even fight with the courts about it, she just let me go without even looking back.” She shook with a sob.

Jasmine tightened her hug, “She doesn’t realize how lucky she was to have a child like you. I think you are the best thing that ever happened to this family.” She glanced over her shoulder at her daughter as she curled up with Trisha, softly sleeping, “You have no idea how much happiness you bring to people.”

Sam followed the woman’s gaze and smiled at her friends, “I had nothing to do with them. They found each other.” She said sheepishly.

Jasmine shook her head as she turned to look upon the girl again, “You don’t give yourself much credit. If you were not around then neither of them would have confronted their issues and come to be together.” She let go of the girl and sat upon a plastic garden chair, “You see Bethany is a rather troubled child. She doesn’t tell me everything, but I know she has gone through a lot, not as a psychic, but as a mother. I could see the wounded look in her eyes over the summer before she met you and wished that there was some way to mend her broken heart.

“One day she came home all excited. She told me that she met a couple of wonderful girls at school and that one of them did not treat her like an outcast like so many others did. You see she spent most of her elementary and junior high school days alone and I think she started to dress that way to conceal the loneliness she was feeling. All she could talk about for weeks on end was this girl who talked to her like she was one of her gang, like a real friend.” She looked up at the girl with a smile upon her face, “That girl is you Samantha. You are the one who made her feel welcome and not alone in this world and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

A bright blush crossed Sam’s face and she gazed down at her hot chocolate, as she nervously stirred, “I didn’t do anything special.” She stated shyly, “I was just happy that someone wanted to be part of my little group of friends. I should be the one thanking her for being there when I needed her. If it wasn’t for her, and Trish, I don’t think I would have made it through the year.”

Jasmine stood and smiled down at the girl, “That is what true friends are for.” She stated firmly, “They stick together and help each other through everything.”

Sam returned the smile and frowned, “I hope Star will join our group, I have this nagging feeling that I’m going to scare her off and she’ll never want to talk to me again.”

The woman’s smile only broadened, “I think you will be surprised to find Star will be more then happy to be friends with a girl like you.” She gestured to the balcony door; “It is getting cool out here so why don’t we go inside and you try to get some sleep.”

Sam sipped at her drink a little more, “I don’t think I can sleep.” She stated miserably, “I think I want to stay out here a little longer if that is alright.”

Jasmine nodded, “Don’t stay out too long, you are going to need your rest for tomorrow.”

Sam returned the nod, “I’ll come in in a bit.” She agreed.

Jasmine yawned, “Well, I’m off to bed myself. You have a good night dear.”

“Night.” Sam said and then turned to look over the city again. Somewhere out there Star was sleeping, she glanced down at the watch upon her wrist to see it was two in the morning and recalled that was the time in which she awoke from her coma, so that meant that Star was sitting up in her room talking to her right now. Her eyes scanned the many lights below, hoping to find Star’s window amongst them. Her mind played over that night’s conversation clearer then ever before and she smiled at the thought of the girl. Star was really excited to be able to meet Sam in the morning so maybe, just maybe, Star will be happy to see her in the morning after all. Finishing off her drink she moved back into the apartment, closing the balcony door behind her, and crawled into awaiting sleeping bed, drifting into a fit filled sleep.

*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com