Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 25

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter twenty-five

The alarm went off bright and early and the girls sprung to life in an instance, eating breakfast as quickly as they dared and getting dressed as they double-checked watches to make sure they were all set to the same time, all keeping silent as they kept to their own thoughts on that dreadful morning. Jasmine was the first to leave, she planned to somehow get Mary-ann out of the house before Star’s father arrived, but after Star left for the hospital, while the other girls went to the hospital to find Star herself. They wished each other good luck as they exited the elevator and Jasmine gave each girl a hug as well as a bracelet for protection. Not really wanting to leave the girls on their own she hesitated on each hug as long as she could before needing to go down another floor to the car lot. She offered to drive the kids to the hospital, but they refused, claiming they would get to their destination on their own and they would meet up with her there.

They all agreed that the hospital would be the safest place to confront Star, but someone needed to get Mary-ann out of harms way so they needed to split up no matter what. The girls watched the elevator doors close and headed out to where they had locked up their bikes. Over the summer Beth had acquired her own bicycle as so she could keep up with the girls and not have to depend on Trish all the time. The three of them raced through the city, praying that they would reach the hospital before Star left. They knew that visiting hours did not start until ten a.m. so that gave them several hours to find the girl and stop her from returning home. They just hoped that the girl would believe them and come along peacefully. It took an hour to arrive at the hospital and they quickly locked up their bikes before entering the lobby, each glancing around in search of the girl.

“Where could she be?” Trish inquired worriedly as she scanned the number of people in the lobby. There were a lot more people then expected and they did not take into account that it would be a busy night for the hospital that weekend. They planned ahead at the very least and each girl knew their destination and headed out in search of the girl. Beth checked around the main lobby while Trish took the cafeteria and Sam the gift shop.

It did not take long for Sam to spot Star through the glass walls of the Gift shop. She was watching as a kind looking sales woman wrapped a package for her and Sam wondered if it was a gift for her. She took a deep breath and prepared to enter the gift shop when she suddenly felt dizzy and staggered to the wall behind her. Her head hurt as a massive headache began to well up inside of her skull. She reached up to touch her forehead and was surprised to discover the bullet scar above her eye had vanished. Quickly she spun around to look at her reflection in a mirrored pillar and was shocked to find the scar had completely faded. She lifted her shirt to find the other scar also vanished. Happily she turned in search of Star when something hit her hard in the shoulder and she stumbled to the ground, abruptly another object slammed into her back and she felt her heart skip a beat.

“Are you alright miss?” A young nurse inquired as she rushed to Sam’s side. Sam was surprised when she looked up to see her old nurse from a year ago, “Samantha?” She inquired curiously, “Is that you?”

“Janis???” Sam glanced around in confusion, clenching her shoulder in pain. Behind the woman she saw Star leave the gift shop and tried to get to her feet only to find herself too weak to stand.

“Are you alright?” The nurse asked worriedly, “What are you doing here?”

“I… I’m looking for someone.” She said, swallowing back the pain, “I… I need to go…” She pushed passed the nurse, “I’m sorry.” She placed her hands together in a sign of a pray for the woman’s forgiveness and spun around to find herself face to face with Trish, nearly colliding with the girl.

“Sam?” Trish grabbed onto the girl as she nearly fell to the ground again, “What happened to you?” Her eyes noticed the disappearance of the scar and she smiled, “Did you find Star? Did you stop her?”

Sam shook her head, “I found Star and the moment I was about to call out to her something happened.” She pulled the neck of her collar over to expose her shoulder and the new wound that appeared there.

“Shit…” Trish muttered, lightly touching the wound, “What the hell does this mean?”

Sam glanced around the lobby as she replaced her shirt, “We have to find Beth. I don’t think we can approach Star just yet. I think we are just changing the future and not stopping her from being killed.” She spotted Beth as the girl was about to approach Star and waved frantically at the girl, “Trish!” She turned to her friend with desperation in her eyes, “You have to stop Beth, and don’t let Star see you.”

Trish nodded worriedly and without question she ran around a group of people, approaching her girlfriend from behind and pulling her behind a pillar, just as Star turned around to see who was following her.

“Trish!?!?” Beth exclaimed frantically, “What the he-?” Trish cut off the girl’s words by placing a hand over her mouth.

“We can’t go near her yet.” Trish insisted, putting a finger to her lips, “Something happened to Sam and you have to see this to believe it.”

The two girls skirted around the rows of seats, keeping low as so Star did not notice them, spotting Sam at the door to the women’s washroom, signalling for them to hurry. Quickly they ducked into the washroom and Beth glanced between the two girls in frustrated confusion.

“What the hell is going on here?” She insisted angrily, “I nearly had her.”

Sam pulled the collar of her shirt down, “There is another one on my back, I can feel ig. Something is wrong. If we approach her now we don’t change anything.”

Beth breathed as she stared at the new wound, “How can this be?”

Sam shook her head as she again replaced her shirt, “But I think my body is still linked with Star and all we are doing is changing the way she is killed.”

Beth thought this over and then snapped her fingers, “She hasn’t discovered that Sam is in the future yet. We have to wait for her to discover it on her own before we can confront her.”

Sam nodded, “That makes sense.” She thought over that day’s conversation and frowned, “Wait, we may have to wait longer.”

“Why is that?” Trish inquired impatiently, wanting to get this game over with.

“She gave up on me after discovering that I was in the future.” Sam said sadly, “I took some meds and could not hear her thoughts clearly, but when they faded something changed her mind about things and she was suddenly determined to find me again. We may have to wait until then to make sure she does not reject me.”

Beth let out a deep sigh and glanced down at her watch, “Visiting hours is not for another two hours. What the hell are we supposed to do until then?”

“Isn’t your mother coming after she rescues Star’s mother?” Trish inquired worriedly.

Beth stared at her girlfriend in shock, “We have to stop her before she enters the lobby. We can’t let Star spot her or it will change things more.”

Quickly the three girls moved out of the washroom to find Star nowhere in sight. Cautiously they moved outside of the hospital and each took up a different area of the parking lot, on lookout for Jasmine. Trish was the first to spot the woman as she pulled into the parking lot and signalled for the others to quickly follow. Jasmine was surprised to find the three girls awaiting her so eagerly.

“What are you girls doing out here?” She inquired worriedly, “Aren’t you supposed to be searching for Star?”

Beth glanced to Sam and back to her mother, “There has been a bit of a change of plans.”

Sam showed the woman her newly acquired scar, “We can’t go near her.” She explained sadly.

Jasmine leaned against the car and crossed her arms as she looked over the hospital, “So what do we do then?” She inquired of the girls.

The three of them glanced at each other, and then back up at Jasmine, “We have to go to Star’s place.” Sam insisted bluntly.

Jasmine waved her hands in protest, “There is no way we are going there. Her father could already, waiting for her to return and he might kill us if he spots us. He knows me and Bethany, there is no way we can be sure that he doesn’t spot us.”

“But he doesn’t know me or Trish.” Sam stated boldly.

Trish stared at her friend in shock, “You want us to go there alone? Are you crazy?”

Sam shrugged, “What other choice do we have?”

“We could confront her on the way back to her home.” Trish offered, and then saw the disappointed look upon her friend’s faces, “What is wrong with that idea?”

“I think we have to wait until she reaches her home.” Beth stated miserably.

Sam nodded in agreement, “It is the only way to be sure of where her heart and mind are before she is shot.”

Trish let out a sigh of defeat and glanced up at Jasmine, “Will you talk some sense into these two?” She pleaded.

Jasmine frowned, “I think they are correct.”

Trish dropped her hands to her side and shook her head in disbelief, “You are all crazy you know that?”

*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com