Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 26

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter Twenty-six

“Have I told you this is crazy?” Trish whispered from their spot behind a tree near Sam’s old home.

“Several times.” Sam stated with a sigh. Jasmine dropped them off soon after they made up their minds and drove down the street to a local convenience store, where she waited by a pay phone. They knew that Star was shot at around one o’clock because that was when Sam’s records state that her wounds appeared. The plan was that Trish and Sam were to stop Star before she entered the house and Jasmine would call the police at precisely one, telling them there has been a strange man seen sneaking around.

As the two girls waited at their hiding place Sam spotted someone coming their way. At first she thought it was just one of the neighbours when she noticed the way the man kept glancing over his shoulder, then she got a clear view of his face and pulled Trish behind the tree, keeping low.

“What is it?” Trish curiously asked, laying on the ground next to her friend as she tried to squint through the branches of the large pine tree they decided to hide underneath, but could not see through the dense branches.

“Star’s father.” Sam breathed, trying to keep her heart from racing too fast.

“He’s here?!?” Trish squirmed over Sam to get a better hiding place, “What are we going to do?” She frightened asked.

“We wait.” Sam stated, trying to keep calm and glanced down at her watch to see it was quarter past noon, “She should be here soon enough.”

******

Star skipped down the road as she talked to Sam in her mind, the two conversing about how they would finally get to meet in person. Her heart prepared to take as long as it took to meet face to face, and prepared to confront whatever met them head on. She smiled at the sound of Sam’s voice and was suddenly startled to find the voice was not coming from inside her mind this time, but to her right.

“Star!!” A strange girl called out as she raced across the street, a girl with Sam’s voice. She had seen the girl several times in school and the way she looked at Star made her feel uneasy and she stepped away from the girl, and then she noticed another girl running along behind her, a girl she recognized at Sam’s friend Trisha. The first girl called out again and Star was almost certain she was hearing Sam’s voice.

((Sam?)) She inquired internally, taking another cautious step away from the two girls, ((Sam, there are two strange girls here.)) She said worriedly.

((Girls?)) Sam asked curiously, ((Who? Classmates maybe?))

Star shook her head, ((I think it is you…)) She stated, staring in disbelief at the girl before her as she slowed to a stop only a metre away, panting slightly.

“Star…” The girl in front of her panted, “You have to come with us.” She stated urgently.

Star glazed at the girl curiously, “Who are you?” She asked nervously, her eyes darting to Trish every now and then. The girl was very pretty in spite of her baggy shirt, torn jeans and the scar upon her forehead. Her eyes stopped on that scar and grew wide, ((Sam? Which side did you say your scar was on?))

((Over my right eye, near the hairline mostly.)) Sam replied, ((What is going on?))

“Star it is me, Sam.” The girl said as she reached out a hand towards the girl, “I’ve come to get you.”

Star glanced between the two girls uneasily, “How can this be? How did you find me?” She inquired frightfully.

Sam held out her hand to the girl, “It’s me. You have to trust me.” She glanced over her shoulder at Star’s home and abruptly leapt at the girl, “Get down!!!” She cried out and suddenly the air shattered with the sound of a small explosion. The moment Sam’s hands touched Beth her mind filled with a years worth of memories through Sam’s eyes, from the day of her own demise to this very moment, it all flashed by in an instant, but as they landed upon the lawn she knew that her mind was just getting in sink with the future Sam and she felt their minds pass through each other for a moment as they rolled across the lawn. The two came to a stop on the grass, Star atop of Sam, and they smiled at each other.

“Sam???” Star reached out to touch the girl’s face, “It is really you.” She said with a giddy giggle, “You really came looking for me.”

Sam hugged the girl, “Of course I would, nothing would stop me from finding you.”

“Leave that for later girls!!!” Trish screamed as she pointed to the house and the front door as it opened and Star’s father stepped out onto the lawn, a maddening look upon his face.

“I’ll kill all of you.” He insisted, aiming the gun at the girls, “I don’t care how many of you I have to go through, so just give me my daughter and I’ll let you go.”

Trish quickly backed up while Sam rolled over into a crouched position, with Star behind her, her arms out spread to protect the girl, “You can’t have her.” Sam snarled, “She is mine and I’ll never let you take her from me again.”

Several people came out of their houses to see what the commotion was about and stared in shock at the scene before them. The appearance of witness’s made Star’s father stagger backwards, turning the gun away from the girls to one of the neighbours at they approached.

“Don’t come near me!!” He shouted wildly, “You have no idea what kind of monster she is.” He stated, tears streaming down his face, “She… she has to die. We are not safe with her alive.”

Sam suddenly lunged at the man, knocking his gun arm to the side and shoving him with all the force she could muster. A blast of air rushed around the girl, causing grass and leaves to pick up like a small cyclone and propelled the man backwards, forcing him into the brick wall of the house and knocking the gun from his hand. Not taking any chances she rushed towards the gun and dove at it. Again the winds around her picked up and the gun jumped into her fingers and she turned to point the gun at the man, who was bleeding from a cut upon his head.

“You - will - never - hurt - her - again.” Sam breathed, stepping closer to the man, shakily pointing the gun at him, “I’ll never let you hurt her again.” She seethed.

Trish ran to Sam’s side and wrapped her arms around the girl’s waist, “Don’t do it.” She pleaded, “You’ll only be sent to jail and never be able to see Star again.” She said, sobbing into the girl’s back, “Think of Star, think of me… I need you. Who am I going to talk to when Beth and I get into fights or if we want to get married? You can’t do this. You can’t!!!”

((Samantha…)) Star’s voice echoed through Sam’s mind and she quickly turned to see the girl standing where she left her, shaking her head, ((Don’t, you don’t need to do this. We are together again.)) A smile spread across her face.

Sam glanced back at the man, who now cowards before the girl’s fury. Finally she lowered the gun and a police officer, that she was not aware had arrived, quickly retrieved the gun while two others cuffed Star’s father. Slowly Sam staggered over to Star and suddenly collapsed at the girl’s feet.

((Sam!?!)) Star called out in her mind as the girl dropped to her side and rolled the girl over, “Are you alright?”

Sam smiled up at the girl, “Are you hurt?” She inquired.

Star shook her head, “No, I’m fine.”

Sam’s smile broadened, “Good…”

*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com