Romance Fan Fiction / Other Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Sketch ❯ Sketch: A Twilight Fan-Fiction ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Alyssa Oliver/Author
Sketch
A Twilight Fan-Fiction
 
His glorious hair was once a happy honey blonde. His eyes were almost never darker than they needed to be. His clothes were always loose and light. Just all about him was bright and cheery. Even if he scarcely spoke. But now…especially after his mate was murdered, he was nothing but dismay. His hair was a dull, almost colorless, black. His eyes were always dark ochre; sometimes they were even as colorless as his hair! His whole attire had changed as well. Black…black…black…everywhere and an occasional red or silver. And it looked even darker against his ghostly skin. It was a dismal display. It hurt to look at him. He was the only student at the small high school in Forks, Washington that actually looked and acted Goth. Well, that is, until the third week into the new school year.
 
I hate moving. I especially hate starting over! I always meet the same fate: I move…I get settled…I go to a new school…My mother gets a job…I am alone at school…I am shunned by students and teachers…My mother loses her job in a week…I move again…The cycle repeats. It has been like this for over three years. My parents split over three years ago. They do not really care that I am affected by this. They do not notice me over half the time. I am Goth…but being Goth or Emo does not mean I cut myself. God! People have taken that damned definition way past consideration! But, whatever. It does not matter. I am here in Forks and I am going to a new high school. I am just waiting for the cycle to repeat itself once again.
 
“The middle of lunch?” I groaned. “Why can't I just start tomorrow in the morning when I'm supposed to start?”
“Because I have to be at work before the school doors open.” My mother replied in an even voice. “Besides. At lunch you can make lots of new friends.”
“I have a car…And what's the point of `making friends' if we're not going to be in Forks for more than a week? You're bound to be fired in the next couple of days.”
“Watch your mouth, young lady. I am under contract. My boss explained to me that I cannot be fired, nor can I quit. So we are going to be here for at least six years. Well, I will be. Who knows what you'll do after you finish high school.”
“Whatever, I'm out.” I left the house slamming the door behind me. I was glad that my father had supplied me with a car my mother could never afford. It made me feel somewhat special. My father was a billionaire! Why I had to live with my mother in Forks? That was my choice. I am not the kind of girl who is all for the attention…the spotlight…I wanted to come to Forks. It is calm and practically surrounded by trees. Just my kind of environment.
I looked at my car. Sleek and built for speed, my Mercedes-Benz was beautiful. I loved it. It was silver and the windows were tinted black. The interior was black leather. I opened the door and sat in the car for a second remembering my father. I started the car and silently disappeared down towards the school. I was going fast too. The exhilaration was maximum.
At the school, when I saw how small it was, I could only imagine how lonely I would be. I sighed and parked my car. I slowly made my way to the front office for my schedule. The woman, obviously the secretary, in the office was talking on the phone. When I walked in, she took a long pause. I felt a bit self-conscious then. I looked down at what I was wearing: A black Evanescence shirt, dark purple corduroy pleated skirt, four belts, two studded, two black and white checker-board patterns, black and white horizontal striped leggings, knee high Industrial combat boots, and a black hooded jacket with red striped sleeves. That was not that bad. My make-up was not bad either…dark red lipstick and black eye liner and shadow. And I know it could not have been my chin-length hair. My hair was blonde for God's sake! A dark blonde with black tips. It was not my ears. They were only pierced twice; a tiny skull and long pentacles adorned them. Okay, it may have been the way I looked. I went up to her. She could tell I was new. She handed me my schedule and shooed me out of the office.
I walked into the cafeteria and felt everything stop. I knew that I was over reacting, but I could not help but feel just a little self-conscious. I do not eat lunch, so I just walked to an empty table. I looked around hopelessly looking for someone like me. I saw no one. I sighed and let my head hit the table. “I already hate it here…”
I tried my hardest to tone everything out. To tone out all of the voices, the footsteps, the chewing…everything. It almost worked until someone plopped down next to me. I groaned and once again tried to block humanity out of my mind. It did not work.
“Hi. Are you new? I haven't seen you around here before. Or are you like the `new and improved Jasper'? Whatever, you probably don't even know what I'm talking about.” the kid just rambled on and on. “What class do you have after lunch? What's your name? I'm Mike by the way.” he sounded so bright and cheery. I hate bright and cheery.
“Mike…” I groaned.
He still rambled on about how his family owned an all outdoors store.
“As much as I love hiking…”
He just went on and on and on about the city, the school, surrounding cities.
I finally spoke up. “Would you shut up and leave me alone?!” I almost hit him, but I stood quick and left the cafeteria. I sighed and donned my red and black hood. I stared at my feet as I walked down the hall. I was walking slowly and I was not paying attention to where I was headed. I bumped into someone. I looked up. “Oh, sorry.” I sighed. Then my breath was taken away. I had run into, not just someone, but, someone like me! I turned and began to walk the other direction. There's no point. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to even acknowledge someone. Even if it is someone who may be going through the same things as he. I sighed silently and took off my hood so I could watch where I was headed.
I walked past the cafeteria and headed for the back doors. I pulled my schedule out of my pocket and looked it over. Art was my next class. “No school can ever understand true art…” I murmured crumpling the paper and throwing it at a wastebasket. I made it in. I kept walking and exited the building. I walked back to my car. I took off my boots and sat on the hood of my car. I pulled out my sketchbook and a pencil. I looked around and locked my sight on the trees. “If only there was something a bit more eerie about these trees. Hmm… I wonder what I could do with my `twisted' imagination.” I chuckled and put the pencil to the paper.
After about an hour of sketching, I had a pretty well laid out draft. I took my digital camera and took a picture of my sketch's setting. I slid off my car and threw my stuff into the backseat. I left my boots on the gravel as I climbed right back up onto the crown of my car. I just sat there admiring my surroundings.
“It is pretty risky remaining on school ground while skipping.” a smooth voice murmured.
I jumped and turned towards the voice. “Aye, well what is life without a little risk?”
“True.” It was the same guy I had run into in the hallway. He was amazing. His skin literally represented the moon and reflected wondrously off of his black The Cure shirt. He wore dull black skinny jeans and a studded black belt with a large silver skull buckle. When I looked into his tinged black amber eyes, I froze. I could feel my blood rising to my face. I averted my gaze back to the trees hoping he would not notice. It was almost immediately that I was comforted. I was taken aback. Emotions…A human cannot understand…
“I'm sorry for running into you in the hallway earlier.” I breathed. “I wasn't paying attention to my whereabouts.”
“It is no problem. Why did you come to Forks?” he asked.
“I chose to come with my mother. I like it here. Just my kind of environment.”
“What do you mean?”
“I love the outdoors. Whether I'm sitting and sketching or I'm actually in the middle experiencing nature for what it is.”
“So you like hiking and camping? You're not like other people.” he smiled a small smile.
“Yeah. My name's Ember Osiris.” I smiled.
“A different name…Where is it from?”
“My mother wanted me to be called Emma and my father wanted Kimberlyn. They couldn't decide so they combined the two.” I shrugged.
“I'm Jasper Hale. It is a pleasure to meet you, Ember.”
“Yeah…” I breathed.
Jasper smiled. “See you around.” He turned and went back to the school building.
“Oh my God…I think I am already crushing on someone.” I giggled and jumped back into my boots. “How embarrassing.”
I sat in my car until the final bell rang. I started the car and was about to speed off when there was a knock at my window. I pushed down the button and watched the window descend half-way. “Careful…”
“Oh, sorry.” It was that Mike kid again. “I just wanted to say `hi' because—”
“I should run over you…That why you can't torture anyone else ever again with that dreadful voice…” I growled.
“W-Why would you do that?”
“If I don't, who will?” I revved the Mercedes listening to its engine purr.
Mike backed away slowly. I backed out and sped off going in no particular direction. I had nothing but time on my hands, so I thought I would get used to the little town. I drove down past Mike's little family store. “Hmm…I may have to stop by there sometime.” I mused.
I pulled up to a small drive. I got out of the car and walked into the trees. “I wonder what kinds of animals reside in this area.” I hiked the area. It was getting dark by the time I reached my car again. “Nothing new.” I sighed. I drove home quickly getting there in less than fifteen minutes. Record! I smiled.
“She's not home?” I walked inside of the little house. There was a note on the table from my mother. It read:
Sorry, Ember…I don't get off work till 8:00. See you then. -Mom
I looked at the clock. It was barely 6:30! Damn…She's not going to be too happy when she gets home. She better not get fired! I thought thinking back to when I met Jasper. I felt myself blush.
I left the house again and drove down the roads of Forks. “Are there any unknown paths I could take? Hmm…Let's see.” I murmured to my self. I watched the road carefully noting the pattern in the trees. I drove straight past a narrow way. It was not until I was past did I actually notice it. I turned back, driving slower, carefully watching for the path. I turned down it hoping that I was not trespassing. There were no signs so I thought I was safe. I continued down the path through the trees. The trees eventually gave way to a large clearing. There was a large white house in the middle of it. It was beautiful. I pulled over off of the gravel road. I took the key out of my car and got my camera, sketchbook and pencils from the backseat of the Mercedes. I took off my boots and sat on the trunk of my car.
I first snapped a shot of the beautiful house in the beautiful meadow. After I took the picture, I opened my sketchbook and turned to the page after my draft of the trees. I sat there sketching the house until the moon was the only light I had to draw by. It was not a very good light. I sighed and got another good look at the house before getting back into my boots and placing my things in the backseat of the car. Who, if anyone, lives here? I started my Mercedes and headed home. I prayed that I would remember this area for I had found somewhere to sit while school was in cession.
The next day was Friday. Fridays were good and bad. Good, because it was the end of the week…Bad, because my mother worked until ten o'clock. I sat in the driveway for a few minutes. I was thinking about my agenda for the day. I smiled and drove back along the road towards the clearing. I drove past the turn-off, once again, just to turn around and drive into it. Right next to where I was parked yesterday there was a chair. I guess I'm not the only one who comes here. I parked my car, got my sketchbook from the backseat and took my seat on the back of the car. I looked at the house and admired the beauty of it. The pencil moved softly, lithely on the rough sketching paper. The house was shaping up. I shaded here and there…Darker one spot, lighter in the other. After a few more hours, the sketch was complete. The proportions and shading were as close to perfect as a drawing could be. All of the straight lines, the curves. I set the book down on the back of my car and slid off the edge into the tall, soft grass. I went to get my colored pencils. As I closed the door, I looked up and nearly peed my pants. Jasper was sitting in the chair next to my silver car.
“Oh, God! Don't do that!” I gasped.
Humor danced in his eyes. “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you.”
I reoccupied my position on the back of the car. “How long have you been there?” I asked Jasper as I started to add some color to the black and white rendering of the white house. I used a creamy-white color to place on some of the house boards in the picture. Then some light browns and grays. I gave the grass a coloring of many shades of greens and browns. It was looking really good as it all came together.
“A little after you showed up. How did you find it here?”
“I have a keen eye and a great amount of curiosity. I just turned on the road and here I was; sketching this house and its meadow in the moonlight.” I sighed in contentment. “How did you find it here?”
Jasper chuckled. It was light, but it was also deep…whole-hearted. “I live here.”
I blushed. “Oh, am I trespassing? There weren't any signs, so I thought…”
“You're fine. So long as you aren't harming the land. Which you aren't. You are a great artist, by the way.”
“Thanks. Just a little something that developed over the years.” I was adding tinges of deep blues, violets and black to the night sky making sure that the stars were bright, beautiful and visible. I also noted the crescent moon that shone down that night. It had whites and light yellows amongst its edges. “Almost done…” I murmured.
Jasper had somehow gotten up on the car next to me. I looked up at the house and I saw him from the corner of my eye. I sighed. “Please, Jasper,” I chuckled. “Tell me when you are going to move…You're so quiet.”
“I might.” he smiled. He looked over my shoulder at my work and then looked up at his home. “Wow. So, how's the one with the trees coming along?”
I looked up confused. “What? Oh, the one back at the school. I stopped working on that when I started this one. I like this area. When I finish this, I'd like to sketch the lake in the back. If you'll let me.”
“Why not? Hey, come with me. I know someone who would really appreciate your sketching our home.” Jasper slid off the back of the car and held his hand out to me. I took it and followed him. He took me to his house. He just wallowed right through the door. I was with him, but I was tensed. I suddenly felt myself calming really fast. Whoa…Talk about confusing.
“Come with me.” Jasper went to the stairs. I followed him, now, more confident. Going up the first flight of stairs I saw a girl. She looked older than me and she looked so much like a prep. But she was beautiful! Her long golden locks fell to the small of her back and her features were like that of a model one would see on TV. Her face was set into a scowl; flames smoldering her golden-brown eyes. “You too, Jasper?” she growled in a light voice. Very preppy. “First Edward, now this?”
“It's not like that, Rosalie…I'm going to show her work to Carlisle.” Jasper calmly replied.
“Work? Jasper, I don't understand you…” she pranced away down the stairs.
“Don't mind her, Ember.” He said to me. “She's just a bit…cranky sometimes.”
“Oh, okay.” Oh my God! He knows my name! …Whoa. Yeah, I think I like Jasper. I felt myself blush. I tried my best to calm down. I did…eventually.
“Here.” Jasper murmured. I looked up at a door. He reached out and barely tapped it.
“Come in, Jasper.” A man's voice called.
Jasper walked into the office. “Carlisle, I have brought a visitor.” he beckoned me forward. “This is Ember. Ember, this is Carlisle.”
“Hello, sir.” I greeted.
“Why, hello, Ember.” he said. “Now, Jasper. This isn't like you. I'm curious.”
Jasper smiled. “She's new in town and intends to stay for quite some time. I met her at school. She was sketching some foliage in the area. Last night I saw her sitting near the road, and this morning I found her in the same area. Look at her skills.”
Carlisle nodded and I handed him my sketch book. “The drawings in there are all complete except for the second to last.” I noted.
Carlisle carefully acknowledged my artwork. “You've been to France?”
“Oui oui, monsieur.” I smiled.
Carlisle laughed. “I can tell. This is an amazing sketch of the Arc! Oh, and this of the Eiffel Tower! Such detail. How long have you been drawing?”
“A few years. The skill just developed over time.”
“No lessons?”
“No. You see, I have nothing but time on my hands, sir.”
He smiled. “You don't look like the kind of girl to be so polite.”
“Neither does Jasper. One must learn quickly not to judge solely upon another's outer image or clique.” I said.
“True. You are different from other people.”
“It's not the first time I've heard that.” I smiled. “How do you know so much about people?”
“You learn a lot when you are a surgeon.”
“How fascinating.”
“So you travel a lot?” Carlisle asked.
“I wouldn't call it traveling. My mother is pretty hectic with her occupations. I am just praying that she won't get fired until after I am eighteen. I love this town. It is surrounded by the most beautiful of trees. Just my kind of environment.” I smiled wider.
“Ah.” Carlisle found a colored portrait of a man and a woman. “Are these your parents?”
“Yes.”
“Your family looks well kempt.” The man in the portrait had short brown hair and light blue eyes that hid behind thin silver rimmed spectacles. He was wearing a fancy dress-suit and hat. The woman had long ash blonde hair and rich eyes of blue. Her red smile was beautiful and happy. Her skin was pale with a pink blush on her cheeks. She was wearing a long emerald green dress.
“Not anymore!” I snapped. “My father is mad with his money! He became a billionaire and then left us in the dirt! The only thing he did for us was by me a car for my birthday. He never calls. He never helps furnish my mother. He bought his way out of paying child support!” I was almost yelling. I calmed myself. “I only kept the drawing because it's all I have left.”
“Oh, I'm sorry.” Carlisle said. I could tell that he was not pleased with himself.
“It doesn't matter.” I smiled solemnly. “He could go rot in Hell for all I care.”
He smiled. “This one is really well put. Many colors…Beautiful shading. It's our home.”
“Yes. You can keep it if you like.” I offered.
“No, you keep it. Date it so you never forget your first visit here.”
“Okay. Thank you, sir.”
“Are you okay?” Jasper asked me when we left the office.
“Yeah, I'm alright. Thanks for your concern. I'm sorry I snapped like that.”
“Oh, it's no problem. Your art is beautiful, though. I really admire it.”
“Thanks.” I blushed. “You and Carlisle are really the only ones, besides me, of course, that have seen any of it.”
“Well, then. I guess I'm honored.” We both laughed. I held my sketchbook to my chest and stood in front of a large window. I sighed and smiled.
“You have a lovely home. If my father were here, he'd do everything in his power to get it from you. He's horrid.”
“That's okay. We have our ways.”
“Yeah.” I chuckled. “I could see Father saying, `So, how much do you want for it?' and then you replying, `One soul.'” I smiled.
He laughed. “You took the words right out of my mouth.”
“Jasper?! You have a guest? Wow!” someone said stupidly.
“Shut up, Edward. I wanted to show her art to Carlisle.”
“Art? Sure.” He looked at me and then laughed at something and sauntered to the second flight of stairs.
I narrowed my eyes after him. “What's wrong with art? He obviously doesn't appreciate what it really is. Hmph.”
Jasper shook his head and then smiled. “Guess so.”
“Hey, Jasper? Can I draw you sometime?”
“Sure. I'd love to see how you'd do that.” he smiled a very dashing smile.
“Awesome. I'd better be leaving now. See you soon.”
As I was leaving, I heard Jasper say, “Edward, what did you see?”
“Oh, nothing.” Edward's silky voice replied.
“Damn it, Edward, tell me! I have a right to know.” Jasper was getting fed up with is brother.
“Fine. That girl…She likes you a lot! Are you happy now?”
“Oh.”
I blushed and hurried to my car.
 
In my black and white bedroom, I sat at my computer surfing MySpace. I sighed, bored, and shut off the modem. I pulled on my black skeleton jacket, left the house and headed into the trees. “I have a few hours to hike. Might as well get used to these parts as well as the open areas.” I had my camera and I took many photos that were probable models for me to draw.
The entire time I was in the woods, I could swear I was being watched. I began to get a bit paranoid. I would turn or freeze every time the wind blew, or a squirrel running into the bushes. The wind picked up in speed and it dragged in black clouds. I heard something snap. It was big too. I looked back and watched as a tree limb fell to the ground just inches from where I stood. My eyes widened as my blood pulsed. I turned and tried to run back the way I came. I wound up lost in the middle of an unknown woods.
I turned around. “Hello?” I knew someone was watching me. “Show yourself!” I demanded. “Don't play a fool! I know you're there!” My paranoia was at its highest. The wind blew some more. It carried my words. I turned and started to run again. “If I die…No, I can't think of that.” I kept running.
“Ember…” It was a dark voice. A low, steady voice. Cunning. “Ember…Osiris…”
“Yes? Hello?” I was freaking out. “Show yourself! Show me your face, damn it!”
“As you wish, my dear.” The voice chuckled.
I turned and ran right into something hard. I thought it as a tree. I looked up, but instead of large branches, I found my self staring into the black eyes of a beautiful creature. It smiled. The smile was deadly…lethal.
“Ember, my dear…You look so very…delectable.” It said.
“How the hell do you know my name? Delectable?”
“Hmm…” It licked its lips. “Yes. Do you mind if I have a taste?”
“You're nuts!” I screeched and ran away from him. I stopped. It was in front of me again.
“Ember, I am Jesse. I want you.” He licked his lips. Then he tightly grabbed my wrist. It hurt. “I want you now…” he brought my wrist to his mouth. He kissed it and that was when I thought he was going to rape me. He licked my wrist then his lips. Then he bit me! I winced as the pain seared up my arm. I could feel the blood rolling off. I stared at Jesse horrified. I was frightened of him. And he was gorgeous! His hair was shoulder length, shaggy and black. His face was squared beautifully. But he was eating me!
“Let me go!” I pulled myself away and ran. I ran into the wind, which slowed me, but I saw the black clouds parting up ahead. The sun was shining down. I ran straight into the sunlight. I turned around and was relieved to find he was not following. “I think I just met a demon. Or maybe just some vampire. I mean, I'm all for vamp-rights, but that was a bit far-fetched.” I sighed and looked at where he bit me. It was not bleeding anymore. I touched it, the wound was cold. It confused me for a moment. “Okay…”
I had no idea where I was until I saw the roof of my house through the trees. I headed in that direction and found my house. I had gotten the door unlocked and noticed my camera was missing. “Damn! I must have dropped it while I was running from that freak. That super hot freak.” I laughed. “Jasper's way hotter, though.” I looked around. It was past six. My mother should have been home. That is when I remembered she worked until ten that night. It was Friday.
“I think I'll go camping this weekend. I'll just leave a note for Mom.” I took out a pen and paper and wrote,
Hey, Mom. Felt like going camping this weekend. I'll have my cell if you need me. See you Monday after school. -Ember
I got together my tent, lantern, matches, sketchbook, and sleeping bag and headed, again, into the woods. While I searched around for that small, squared clearing I had found, that I found so familiar. I felt Jesse's bite mark start to burn. “Ugh…I probably should have doctored this…Oh, well.”
I found the clearing and had already set up my tent and built my fire when the bite burned even more. I rubbed it wincing. It was almost as if it were on fire. It kind of eased as I went to sleep.
At about three in the morning I woke up screaming in pain. “Oh, God! I'm on fire! Put it out!” The entire weekend I spent in agonizing pain and misery. I cried often, the tears staining my face. By the time Monday came, the pain had stopped. My throat felt so dry. Every part of me felt dry. I had not eaten nor have I drunken anything those past few days. But my thirst was enormous…but it was not for water. I had a strange yearning for blood! I tore my way out of my tent and ran through the trees. I was so amazed! All of my abilities have been hugely enhanced. I ran into Jesse again. My eyes widened, frightened. He growled. “Great! My prey gets away, and has transformed! Ahhh!” he screamed and he picked me up. He threw me through the trees and I hit the side of a house. It was a beautiful house. I recognized why the clearing seemed so familiar. It was near where Jasper lived!
 
That weekend, Jasper and Carlisle had gone “hiking” in the woods nearby their house. Jasper found my camera and my torn and abandoned camp site. He knew the things were mine when he recognized the open sketchbook. It was opened to the draft of the trees. “Carlisle…This stuff is Ember's…And I smell blood…”
Carlisle nodded and Jasper ran through the trees. He could smell more of his kind nearby. He quickly maneuvered through the woods and found Jesse. “You…!” he growled.
“What about me, Jasper?” Jesse bore a wicked smirk.
“What did you do to her?”
“What did I do to who?”
“Don't play dumb, I know it was you! What did you do to her? Where is she?” Jasper demanded.
“I was so close…she got away. Then she came back and was transformed!”
Jasper looked at him. “Liar! Where is she?”
“I threw her towards your dwelling. Go see for yourself.”
Jasper ran off towards his home. When he got there, I was nowhere to be found.
 
My thirst was ethereal. It killed me. I slunk back towards my tiny high school. Mike was out front. I smiled to myself. “Beautiful…” I walked up to Mike.
“Ember?!” Mike's jaw fell.
“Yeah…what is it?” I asked a bit confused.
“You're beautiful!”
“Um…thanks? Anyway, I came here for a favor. Could you come with me?”
Mike nodded eagerly and followed me out into the trees.
“I have a surprise for you, Mike.”
“Oh?”
“Yeah.” I smirked, and faster than his human eyes could register, I snapped his neck like a twig and quenched my thirst.
“You taste good.” I chuckled.
I decided not to go home for fear of what Mother would say. I took out my cell phone and called the house and left a message. “Hey, Mom, I won't be able to be home for quite sometime. I had a private early graduation and a great acceptance into Rice University! Awesome, huh? Well, I'll be sure to write and E-mail you every chance I get. I love you, Ember.”
I went back to my dilapidated camp site and waited there. I learned more about my abilities over night; I don't have to breath, I can move faster than what any human eye can register, I'm utterly gorgeous, I have amazing senses, and I can read people's minds. (That last part scared me a bit, but now I think it's totally wicked.) A few days later I walked into a gas station and got a newspaper. The cover story was of a murder in Forks, Washington. Oh, shit…
Murder in Forks, Washington
Days ago a hiker came upon a disturbing sight. He discovered the body of young Mike Newton. His neck snapped and his body, according to the recent autopsy, drained completely of blood.
This finding has caused a slight uproar amongst the little town's citizens. Many have evacuated the area and some have moved away completely. This is the first time in a very long time that there has been any kind of `incident' in Forks… (Cont. on Pg.A34)
 
I stopped there and threw the newspaper away. I'm a monster!!! I ran all the way to Jasper's house. I had little hope he was home. And I had an even smaller amount of the weak emotion that I would be able to confide in him. I wanted him to understand when I explained. I wanted him to help me, but considering as he was still human and I now a monster, I doubted many things.
I reached the large white house in the great clearing. I hesitantly knocked on the door. I stood there for seconds, but those few seconds felt like several hours. To my great relief, Jasper was the one who answered the door. The newspaper he had in his hands slipped to the floor when he saw me. I looked into his eyes, into his thoughts, and realized that I was what he is. I was a vampire.
I still was very confused and asked, “What am I?”
“A newborn. Come in. let us explain.” It was Carlisle who spoke. He led me into his home, into the living room. “Sit.” he gestured to a chair next to the couch.
When I sat I looked around. I looked into the eyes of each member of the coven. I learned quickly who they were with my power. Of course there was Jasper and Carlisle, but then there was Rosalie, the gorgeous blonde. She hated her `new life.' Then there was Emmett, the bigger of the Clan, next to him was Esme, the motherly figure, then Edward. He, too, could sift through another's thoughts.