Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sequel to ‘The Forgotten Warrior' ❯ The Elders Trial ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: After a long period of non-commitment, I've finally got my butt down to type this story out. Read and review.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters from this fan fiction.
 
Chapter 9: The Elders Trial
 
Chapter Summary: Just what the title said. Cye brings Amy to the Main House where she is tested to prove that she is the reincarnated princess. Cerberus attacks the Main House in the middle of the confrontation and Aizu-jin appears for the first time.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
You've packed? Cye asked Amy via their mind-link. The group were heading back to school after lunch.
 
Yes. you? she asked.
 
Not many things to bring. Most of my stuff are at the Main House after all. he answered.
 
Amy nodded in understanding.
 
How's Rowen taking this? Cye asked.
 
Just be thankful he hasn't thrown a fit. Amy replied.
 
Yet. she finished, smirking.
 
The teenager chuckled low. I'd pay good money to see that. He heard her giggle softly in her mind in response.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
From his hiding place behind a tree, Takasa Higato watched and listened to the conversation between the six teenagers.
 
His thoughts were shoved aside when the gaki aka Cye Mouri spoke the words Takasa had so hoped to hear.
 
Cye Mouri was being forced to go back to the Main House and choose a bride.
 
The joy!
 
Now there would be no more competition for who was the school's best athlete and, best of all, this left Amy Hashiba open and unprotected from Takasa's advances. With the gaki gone he now had the opportunity to woo the lovely chess player with his impeccable charm and wit uninterrupted.
 
The basketball star and team captain chose his prizes carefully from year to year, choosing only the most exceptional of girls, and for his senior year, the girl of his choosing had to be extra special.
 
A prized trophy.
 
There were other girls who were certainly more lovely than the chess champion, but she had a certain magic appeal, a quality about her he couldn't quite place but that he found alluring in the strongest of ways. Takasa wanted her and what he wanted he usually got.
 
With the school bell signaling the end of lunch break, Amy quickly kissed Cye on the cheek and skipped back to school.
 
Takasa allowed himself a grin. Soon, that smile and those lips will be mine.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
After school, the five teenagers trooped out of school. Cye bid goodbye to the other four as he waited for Amy to come out.
 
Mere minutes later, the girl exited from the school. Noticing her koibito, she smiled brightly and rushed out to meet him, tackle-hugging him when they met
 
A limousine screeched to a stop before the pair, causing them to jump apart..
 
The chauffer stepped out of the car and bowed in respect.
 
“Young Master.” he greeted.
 
Looking at the girl beside him, the elderly chauffer inquired, “This is the lovely Princess, I assume?”
 
Cye nodded.
 
“Yes, Allan. That's her.”
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Takasa loved the sight of her smile. It was always so crystalline and pure, never faked, and it was addictive to all those within earshot. She was very special indeed. He frowned with the four older boys ran off, leaving the lovely Amy and the gaki Mouri alone together.
 
No.
 
He couldn't allow that to happen.
 
She was his girl, not the gaki's.
 
From under the tree, Allan saw the object of his obsession hug his bane happily.
 
“What are we waiting for, Cye?” he heard her ask.
 
Takasa frowned. She still used his real name.
 
“Patience love.” the auburn-haired teen assured her.
 
He had dared call her love? That cut it.
 
He stormed out from behind the tree and charged straight for the unsuspecting British teen. He would make him pay dearly for stealing Amy away from him.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
The oldest Ronin Warrior heard the sound of rushing feet and saw the look of surprise on his beloved's face warning him of the arriving danger. He let his instincts take over. A subtle sensation in his mind told him to duck. He obeyed the feeling, the punch aimed for the back of his head barely missing.
 
Cye quickly leapt to his feet and whirled around to face his opponent, instinctively standing in a battle ready stance in front of Amy. He frowned in annoyance when he saw who it was that was attacking him.
 
"You?" He stood up straight and scowled at his opponent, carefully circling his foe to place some distance between the impending attack and his beloved Princess. "I thought you knew better than this, Higato."
 
Takasa Higato didn't answer, merely rushed him again. Amy held back her gasp of concern for her soul mate, not wanting to accidentally distract him.
 
For his part, Cye just sidestepped out of the way of the lunge.
 
"You have no claim on her, gaki!" Takasa shouted as he struggled to regain his balance.
 
Cye rose a brow.
 
 
Takasa lunged again. "She's mine!" he raged.
 
He stopped just short of his competition for the chess player's affection and began to throw out numerous powerful punches and kicks in a vain attempt to hit his target.
 
Roundhouse kicks, left hooks, right hooks, uppercuts, spin kicks… None made contact.
 
With a peacefully placid expression, the warrior simply dodged and sidestepped every blow with the greatest of ease. A tiny grin tugged at the corners of his lips.
 
Realizing her love was in no danger what so ever from the enraged basketball player,
Amy just settled herself more comfortably against the school wall to wait out the fight, crossing her arms behind her head.
 
She abruptly giggled. "All I'm missing is the popcorn." she quipped.
 
Cye heard her and grinned as he easily avoided a spin kick aimed for his chest.
 
Then, he dodged a punch.
 
Quickly finding an opening, Cye shifted his weight over to his right foot and brought his left fist up and back hard to smash into Takasa's face.
 
The force of the impact caused the self-absorbed basketball captain to flip over backwards and land flat on his stomach unceremoniously.
 
Cye stayed in a battle-ready stance for a moment more, waiting for any retaliation of any kind. Then he shrugged casually as he straightened when none was forth coming.
 
“Never knew you could fight like that.” Amy teased in marvel.
 
“Part of my training, love.” Cye replied.
 
Takasa Higato peered open an eye just in time to see Cye leave with Amy in a Mouri limousine.
 
Amy is mine. You'll see, dear cousin. She and I are meant to be. I'll prove it to everyone, even if I have to follow you all the way back… to the Main House.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Once the pair entered the limousine, they were surprised to see Sayoko sitting in the car.
 
“Mouri-san?” Amy asked, in astonishment.
 
Sayoko nodded.
 
“Sayoko-sama insisted on being the escort. ”Allan supplied.
 
“I see Higato is as stubborn as usual.” Sayoko commented.
 
“Unfortunately.” Cye sighed.
 
Amy quirked a brow, not understanding.
 
Sayoko offered an explanation, “Higato… he is related to us. His father married one of okaa-san's cousins. So even though he is not a direct descendent of Mouri Motonari, he is still blood.”
 
Amy cast an accusing glare at her lover.
 
“And you never told me.”
 
Cye protested, “It never came up!”
 
Amy giggled and gave him a quick kiss.
 
“I'm sure you've a lot to tell me once we arrive.” she added, cuddling closer to her boyfriend, resting her head comfortably on his shoulder. Cye leaned back against the couch's backrest as he held her close.
 
“I know.” he whispered and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.
 
Sayoko had to smile at the affection her little brother showed the yet-to-be-proven Princess Mercury. She had noticed that his usual shyness was gone when he was around her.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Trudging home, Takasa Higato growled to himself.
 
Fate was a cruel mistress to play with indeed. He truly believed he deserved to be with Amy, yet was not. He truly believed the gaki wasn't supposed to be with her, yet he was.
And to make things even worse than they were, Takasa was related to the gaki, the future leader of the Mouri Clan.
 
He silently cursed his Father for having married one of Mouri-san's cousins. Then he suddenly blinked at an idea forming in his twisted mind. His Okaa-san was actually the key to resolving everything.
 
It was perfect!
 
He ran the rest of the way home with a gleeful smile. If his idea worked, he would be able to remain near the graceful chess player that so dominated his thoughts and dreams. He could offer a challenge through the official Clan channels. It wouldn't be refused then.
Amy Hashiba would be his.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Hours ticked by and soon it was close to midnight.
 
Cye spent the remaining thirty or so minutes just holding his precious angel against his
heart.
 
Silently he prayed to Kami-sama, Buddha, and any other deity he could think of, to be able to keep Amy at his side for the rest of time.
 
He looked down at the sleeping Senshi and smiled at how peaceful she seemed.
 
“You've become quite a dreamer, little brother.” Sayoko teased.
 
Cye had the decency to blush.
 
Amy shifted slightly and opened her weary eyes.
 
“Are we there yet?” she asked.
 
“Almost Snowflake.” Cye told her.
 
At that point, Allan announced, “Sayoko-sama, Young Master, we're here.”
 
The trio nodded and stepped out of the limousine.
 
They have arrived at the Mouri Main House.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
A lone figure stood near the entrance of Mouri Main House as he watched Allan unload the luggage from the limousine and Cye walked out with Amy in tow, Sayoko following closely behind.
 
Silently he cursed, deciding to bide his time for now. His moment was coming.
 
By tomorrow night, my little Blue, you will be mine. This I swear.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Amy's eyes widened at the sheer splendor of the place.
 
Cye grinned as her expression.
 
Sayoko smiled.
 
"I am most pleased you approve of our humble home. A guest who appreciates the home honors the host." She commented.
 
Amy blushed crimson.
 
Four women bowed to the three already standing outside the vehicle.
 
“I assume your journey's gone well, dear cousin?” one of them greeted.
 
“Yes.” Sayoko answered.
 
“And our littlest cousin?” another asked.
 
“He is coming, Renko. He is merely being careful of the delicate gem he has brought with him."
 
Another looked confused. "Delicate gem, Cousin?"
 
"Hai. This delicate gem, Umi." she indicated just as Cye stepped into sight with Amy's hand held shyly in his hand.
 
"My Cousins, this is Amy Hashiba, the reincarnated Princess Amelia Lillian Hermes of Mercury.”
 
The four women were stunned into silence for a moment at the revelation. Then, after recovering from their initial shock, they quickly gathered around the couple and started cooing over the girl.
 
Sayoko chuckled as Cye growled low in annoyance, pulling Amy closer into an embrace.
Cye was nearing the top of the stone steps, surrounded by his closest Cousins. They fawned over him in sisterly appreciation to how much he had changed over the years.
 
Comments such as: How much taller he was now; How much more built his physique had become; and how gentle and tender he had become to be so careful and so protective of the Mercury Princess.
 
At every word they spoke, Cye desperately tried to silence them with a menacing glare or a hiss of silence.
 
Nothing worked.
 
His Cousins were far too excited about their littlest cousin's return and the sight of the young Princess to pay any attention what so ever to his death glares. Their attention then became cooing taunts when Amy turned her head up at the cooing and shyly smiled.
 
It didn't help the situation any that Cye's unconscious response to this move was to smile softly at his soul mate.
 
At the top of the stone steps stood four more young girls of the same age as the couple.
 
All of them were lovely in their own right and knew it. They bowed low in some semblance of humility and respect to the approaching warrior. He brushed past them without so much as a glance, eliciting a soft and shocked gasp from all of them. A humble servant met the young warrior at the door to the grand house.
 
"Mouri-sama, welcome back. Your honorable Onee-san has instructed that the Mercury Princess shall be lodged in the Sapphire Room of the Clan wing. Her bags have already been taken there."
 
Cye nodded silently in acknowledgement, inwardly surprised at his Onee-san's decision to give Amy a room in the Clan's private wing of the estate. And to place her in the Sapphire Room, the room right next to his own. A small part of his mind screamed that his sister was planning something, but for now he ignored this tiny voice.
 
They climbed several flights of grand stairs to a part of the edifice that over looked a lake, a part near the rear of this main building.
 
Sayoko led the way down a wide corridor until they were before two sets of doors.
Cye looked from one to the other in slight confusion.
 
"It's been a while. Which one is the Sapphire Room again?" he queried as he stared at the closed doors.
 
"The one on the right. The other one's yours, little brother. Open the door, will you?"
Cye obeyed without question, following his sister into the immense and exquisite room.
Everything was decorated in blues and light colors, in the understated beauty of pale bamboo and sparkling sapphires.
 
Freshly cut lily blossoms were in simple porcelain vases in the traditional white and blue next to a gigantic bed.
 
Thick and plush carpets covered the floor, their light sky blue color matching the gauzy curtains, upholstery and bed sheets. The soft glow of a lit oil lamp cast just enough light to see by. Moonlight filtered through the closed balcony doors, a gentle and tropical breeze wafting through an open window.
 
“Goodness…” Amy breathed in awe.
 
Turning back to face her beloved, she threw herself into his arms, grateful tears glistening in her eyes.
 
“You're too good to me.” she whispered.
 
“For you, anything.” Cye muttered back, brushing his lips against her ear.
 
Cye's four female cousins giggled at the sight.
 
Sayoko cleared her throat.
 
“It's getting late. You'd better rest, Mercury-hime.” she reminded.
 
The couple broke apart, blushing madly.
 
Giving her a goodnight kiss, Cye went out and locked the door, before retreating back to his room.
 
“Mistress.” Neive Bien called form the windowsill.
 
Amy walked forward and raised an arm, allowing the bird to perch on her arm.
 
“Where's Indivar?” the girl asked.
 
“Down there.” Neive Bien nodded towards a thick bush.
 
Amy had to smile.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Amy was floating on a sense of utter peace and pure contentment as she surfaced lazily from her deep sleep. One by one her senses came alive to the world around her.
 
She could feel the gentle warmth of the morning air caressing her cheeks and the cool smoothness of the bed sheets against her bare legs. The thick aroma of fresh lake water and lush vegetation filled her nostrils. And the sound of surf hitting rocks in the distance played a soothing background to the crystalline sounds of twittering birds and the sound of fighting...
 
Wait a minute, fighting?
 
Again the sounds of fighting reached the ice Senshi's ears and she hopped out of bed, throwing open the balcony doors and stepping out into the early morning daylight.
 
The sounds of people doing battle drew her attention away from the scenery down to the highest and largest of the green terraces. A number of people were gathered there, roughly three dozen at first glance, surrounding two fighting individuals. By the looks of things it was some sort of morning practice. Squinting for a better view through the already bright breaking dawn Amy saw the reason this daily routine had attracted such a
large crowd.
 
The two sparring individuals were none other than the Mouri Clan future leader and her beloved Torrent, and one of his Cousins, Renko as it seemed.
 
Amy hid a smile. She should have known they wouldn't have given up their regular routine just because they were home.
 
She raced back into the room and began rummaging through her suitcases for a change of clothes. Etiquette wise, showing up, wearing the same clothes you had worn the previous night, just wasn't done.
 
Rushing out of her new room, she dashed down flights of stairs and through numerous twisting corridors and headed towards the only one place big enough outside for daily practices: the main terrace.
 
Neive Bien, in her shrunken form, followed closely behind.
 
Just ahead, at the wide open wooden door leading outside, stood four teen girls that Amy recognized from the previous night.
 
The girls stood together, speaking in low and giddy tones about something.
 
Amy thought she heard Cye's name spoken with much reverence and adoration every so often.
 
The four suddenly noticed the approaching Mercury Princess and her Guardian and became hushed.
 
Amy felt self-conscious under their intense scrutiny and gazes of contempt. It was as if they were judging her for some reason, deciding her worth over their own. She cautiously circled around them to get by, wondering what the reason was for their stares, and continued out onto the terrace.
 
The four teens followed a few steps behind her, unnerving the Senshi of Ice even more with their back stabbing gazes.
 
Neive Bien suddenly turned and flew right up into their faces. "You four have a problem?" she snarled with a deep scowl.
 
The four took a step back in surprise at the sight of the magical creature. None of them knew how to respond.
 
"Neive Bien." Amy called patiently. "Be nice. Lead by example."
 
The petite ice phoenix glared at the four for a moment more, then flew off to land on her Mistress's shoulder with a smug expression of triumph.
 
Amy smiled and gently patted the ice bird and continued walking towards the crowd.
Sayoko Mouri, standing at the edge of the fighting area, sensed Amy's powerful magical aura before she saw the ice Senshi.
 
She turned and, at an unspoken signal from the temporary matriarch, the gathered crowd parted to allow the Mercury-hime to approach.
 
Amy fought against an embarrassed blush from all the attention she was getting from these people. They obviously knew things about her that she had not yet discovered about herself.
 
Neive Bien took it all in stride.
 
The Clan's temporary matriarch bowed to Amy in respect and welcome, a bow the princess returned with a bright smile.
 
"I trust you are well rested, Mercury-hime?" Sayoko asked, mirth in her voice.
 
Amy's blush finally won the upper hand and colored her cheeks. "Forgive me for being such a deep sleeper, Mouri-san. I guess I was a lot more tired than I thought."
 
"Do not apologize, Mercury-hime." she smiled. "For one to sleep so deeply in a strange place denotes that one feels secure."
 
Amy's blush deepened.
 
Then, she turned her attention to the sparring Cousins.
 
It showed that they had learned and practiced these fighting moves with each other every day of their lives.
 
Every move was beautiful and fluid, flawless, but also deadly in nature.
 
The two seemed completely oblivious to the large number of people surrounding them, watching their every move with avid attention, silently judging and gauging each stroke.
 
There were no other sounds save for the sharp breaths and shouts from the fighters and the whistling sound of fast moving Bo staffs. The motions had an almost hypnotic effect on the sorceress, drawing her complete focus to the teen warrior sparring not far away from her.
 
Renko twirled her Bo expertly, then swung hard, a blow Cye easily blocked with his own Bo.
 
Then, in a move too rapid for the eye to follow completely, the warrior struck his Cousin's staff away, knocked her off her feet, and pinned her to the soft lawn with the end
of his staff held bare millimeters above her throat.
 
Renko hissed a soft curse and groaned in defeat. "Why can't you let me win just once?" she complained.
 
His eyes twinkled in mischief, and he smiled. "Now where's the challenge in that?"
 
"You losing should be enough of a challenge for you." she quipped with a raised eyebrow.
 
Cye tapped her chin with his Bo in chiding. "It's more of a challenge for you to try to beat me."
 
Renko growled. "I want a re-match!" she issued as he helped her up.
 
"Maybe later." and they bowed to each other, signifying that the practice was now over.
 
Quiet, almost reserved applauds rippled through the gathered crowd in appreciation to a battle fought well and honorably as an attendant approached the fighters to retrieve their weapons.
 
The quartet of teen girls suddenly raced forward to Cye, babbling giddily in excitement before his staff could be taken.
 
The boy heard them approach before he saw them.
 
He whirled around, his Bo held in front of him to ward off the quartet, a deep scowl of displeasure and warning on his face. The small group near skidded to a sudden stop on the dew covered grass.
 
A mixture of shock, fear and disappointment was written on each of their faces.
Amy valiantly suppressed a giggle at the sight as Renko joined them, certain she could almost hear the low growl of warning issuing from her beloved partner's throat.
 
The look on those girls' faces was priceless
 
“Not bad. Little cousin won't let the pretenders near him."
 
Amy blinked and turned to her and Sayoko in confusion. "Pretenders?"
 
"Yes." the ruby eyed woman agreed. "Don't you know who they are?"
 
The Mercury Princess shook her head in negative.
 
The older cousin chuckled. "They were the four the Elders chose for Cye to pick a wife from."
 
She blanched slightly at the news. "... They... I... Oh..." was all she managed to stutter.
 
As if sensing that she was near, Cye turned his attention away from the quartet and looked at his beloved Princess.
 
It was a purely instinctual move from the magical essence. Cye's warm, gentle eyes met the vivid blue of his soulmate's eyes and his stance relaxed just enough to be inviting only to her.
 
His Bo was still held before him to ward off the others, but it no longer seemed a barrier to the Mercury Princess.
 
Ignoring the contemptuous glares from the four ex-brides-to-be, he handed his Bo to the attendant and walked towards his love.
 
When he neared, he gently cupped her face with his hands and right before the gathered crowd, he kissed her.
 
Amy vaguely heard the surprised gasps and whispered comments from the gathered crowd as Cye kissed her.
 
On the other hand, Cye didn't care if his actions were out of character to the eyes of the Clan. He didn't need to justify any of his actions to them. This was the woman he loved, that he adored. That was reason enough.
 
He didn't need to tell her just how much he loved her.
 
By his actions and looks, Amy already knew.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Sienna colored eyes scowled at the tender scene unfolding between Cye Mouri and this outsider. This wasn't right. Powerful eddies of magic radiated around the blue-eyed girl in grand waves.
 
Rumor on the Main House had it that this outsider was none other than the reincarnated Princess Mercury herself, the one the bearer of the Torrent amour was supposed to protect.
 
In that case, she was the second part to Clan's prophecy.
 
Mesuinu scoffed at the idea.
 
This girl looked far too frail and naïve to be the reincarnated Princess Mercury. She was far too innocent.
 
Her plan had been that as soon as he returned she would make sure he noticed her at every turn and event and eventually have him become completely enamored with her. It was simple. As conceited as it sounded she knew she was beautiful. Hair darker than ebony, a rosy cream complexion, eyes the color or rich sienna wood, toned musculature... how could he not see she was perfect for him, that she was his complement?
 
He didn't see. That was the problem. He ignored her and the other three candidates, instead focusing his attention solely on the outsider. By law this wasn't right. She was an outsider, and a non-Clan member. His affection for her was forbidden.
 
But then why was no one doing anything to stop this?
 
Mesuinu stifled a growl threatening at the back of her throat. Calm yourself. There's no need to worry. The Elders will be the ones to break the news to him. She isn't of the Clan so she doesn't have a chance.
 
She allowed herself a small smile as the outsider and Cye parted ways, the girl led away by Mouri Sayoko.
 
After tonight, dear Cye, you'll come to realize that you have no choice but to choose me.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
The day passed quickly.
 
A sudden hush abruptly fell over the gathered Clan members as an unassuming side door opened. Through it hobbled seven ancient looking men. All were wizened and bent from age, leaning heavily on sturdy wooden canes, their ceremonial robes hanging loosely on their bodies where once they had fit just perfectly. The entire room bowed to this congregation as these men made their way onto a low stage to their throne-like seats.
 
These were the Mouri Clan Elders.
 
All seven were clean-shaven, not a hair on their heads or faces, all wearing pressed silks of green and gold, the Clan's symbol embroidered in black on their chests. Their eyes were the most striking aspect. They ranged right across the spectrum from a bright feline gold to rich cadmium red. Their gazes were sharp and alert. The seven sat and the eldest of them, sitting in the center chair, surveyed the crowd for a moment.
 
“Mouri Shin!” the eldest of the Elders intoned in a voice far stronger than his frail looking body seemed capable of.
 
Two attendants at the far end of the room opened a set of massive doors, then bowed in deep respect to the one standing just beyond them. The Mouri Clan's future leader stood there, dressed in his amour.
 
He strode forward with purpose, keeping his head held high and his eyes fixed on the Elders before him. Cye walked the length of the room with the stealth of a feline until he stood in front of a pair of stiff cushions laid out on the floor before the Elders' stage. With practiced grace he removed the weapon from his back and held it up in front of him as he kneeled on the cushion. He laid the Torrent yari on the floor between himself and the Elders, then bowed low, hands to the cool marble floor, forehead a bare inch from the ground.
 
Five seconds later, he straightened, his eyes focused on a spot on the stage in front of him.
 
The Elders were silent for a moment as if in judgment of the warrior kneeling before them.
 
“You claim to have found the reincarnation of the Mercury Princess.” one Elder began.
 
“Hai." Cye replied crisply, knowing where this was going to lead.
 
"Then show us this person who you call the reincarnation of the Mercury Princess.” the last Elder demanded.
 
Cye barely turn his head to the back of the chamber, an unspoken signal to the attendants there to re-open the massive doors. The gigantic doors swung open without resistance on finely oiled hinges.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
From the other end of the chamber, Mesuinu fumed, mentally screaming vicious curses at the girl standing at the door. She really was the Mercury Princess! But it was impossible. Such a frail girl could never be the wielder of such power.
 
And there was no way Mesuinu would allow this outsider to get between her and Cye no matter who she was.
 
She frowned at the girl standing just within the doorway.
 
Mercury Princess or not, this girl had to go.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Takasa Higato's near gray eyes scanned the vast room for any sight of the graceful chess player. He knew she was here somewhere. She would never miss this kind of event.
 
Why wasn't Hashiba there as well?
 
He mentally shook off the question and turned to the back of the room to see this Mercury Princess his dear Cousin said he brought with him. The doors opened wide and so did Takasa's eyes at the sight.
 
In the name of Tin Hau! She is the Mercury Princess?
 
***************************************************************** **********************
There stood Amy Hashiba, the Frost Book tucked under one arm, her sealing staff in hand. Her henshinn gem was hung on her neck as she stood ready to face the Mouri Clan Elders.
 
Beside her, Indivar stood and Neive Bien floated just above her right shoulder. Both guardian beasts had look of certainty and pride on their tiny features
 
Nervous Snowflake? Cye's gentle voice whispered in her mind.
 
A little apprehensive. Amy admitted. And I have no idea how these two can be so clam right now.
 
Amy heard him chuckle in her mind in response.
 
When she stood before the stiff pillow at her partner's side, she held up the Frost Book and the sealing wand in presentation as she kneeled down. Then she placed the items and her henshinn gem on the floor in front of her and bowed low as her partner had done.
 
Finally straightening she kept her eyes lowered to the floor and waited in silence.
 
Neive Bien lightly flitted down and stood defiantly on the Frost Book , boldly staring the seven Elders in the eyes, almost daring them to even try something against the cards or her Mistress. Indivar stood between the pair, growling in defiance.
 
A long silence followed as the Elders scrutinized the new arrival.
 
“She is the reincarnation of the Mercury Princess?” one of the Elders inquired in incredulity.
 
“Hai." Cye answered. “Amy Hashiba, younger sister to Rowen Hashiba who is also known as Rowen of Sutra.”
 
A gasp rippled through the hall.
 
Amy could feel the Elders' gazes shift to the two magical creatures glaring up at them.
 
"Is this Neive Bien?”
 
"H- Hai."
 
The ice phoenix floated up to the Elders' eye level and glared at them in annoyance. She didn't say anything, just stared at each one in turn, gloating inwardly each time she saw one of them squirm under her icy blue eyes. These seven recognized her as a powerful ancient power, even in her diminutive state.
 
At the same time, Neive Bien could sense these Elders had a sense of self-importance that was far too great. The Elders had originally been chosen to guide the Clan, not lead them in this manner.
 
There was a long silence.
 
“Shin, do you claim to fulfill the prophecy? That you are those mentioned in the Clan's prophecy?” The eldest of the Elders questioned.
 
“Water and Ice, Torrents and Frost. The warrior will find his princess.” he quoted from the Clan legend. "I can see no other explanation, Elder."
 
Cye turned his head and smiled at Amy whose eyes glittered brightly in understanding, finally realizing what this prophecy was and also realizing what he had just done.
 
He had just admitted to his whole Clan that he loved her. Her heart threatened to burst within her bosom at the honor.
 
She understood why her planet guided her here.
 
Destiny had been guiding her actions from the start.
 
Her eyes locked with his as she returned his gentle loving smile, vaguely aware of the soft gasps and murmurs rippling through the crowded room, barely hearing the kawaii squealed softly by Renko, barely aware of an annoying tingling at the edge of her senses.
 
All she was aware of were Cye's eyes. A single glance from the Elders hushed the crowd once more.
 
But the silence seemed to be a signal for one individual in the crowd to step forward and come stand a few steps behind the kneeling pair. Her lithe body was trembling in barely contained rage and jealousy. Both warriors suddenly felt the hairs on the back of their necks stand on end in dread.
 
"I challenge her claim as the reincarnated Princess Mercury!" this teen shouted, making sure everyone on the chamber heard her.
 
Cye froze in shock only instants before he heard a low growl issue forth from Amy's throat.
 
He turned slowly, instinctively reaching for his yari lying in front of him, hoping beyond hope that this wasn't who he thought it was.
 
Much to his dismay, Mesuinu stood there, her sienna colored eyes traveling over him almost hungrily.
 
Amy scrambled to her feet quickly and backed herself against the edge of the Elders' stage, clutching her henshinn gem, as it glowed brightly, to herself in some form of defense.
 
Cye stood before her in protection, yari in hand, a deep scowl aimed at the obsessed ice magician.
 
Neive Bien hovered at the young warrior's shoulder to add whatever help she could.
 
Indivar hissed as he stood up, his back arching in defense.
 
The Elders watched the scene from the safety of the stage, almost unperturbed by this turn of events yet intrigued at how protective their Clansman was towards the as-yet-to-be-decided Mercury Princess.
 
Renko was about to race over to add her support to her cousin, but Sayoko stopped her.
 
"This is their battle, young cousin." she told her. "We must not interfere with the course of Fate."
 
Reluctantly resigned to the fact she couldn't help, Renko watched helplessly.
 
The eldest of the Elders looked down on Mesuinu in tired annoyance. "What is the basis of your challenge?" he demanded of him.
 
"That I was fated to be the Princess and not her!" Mesuinu replied proudly and confidently. She knew that Fate was a respected force within the Clan. Cye would be hers for sure.
 
"Mesuinu," one Elder began. "... How has Fate shown that you are the Princess?"
 
She stood tall and proud. "Fate has given me her memories in my dreams."
 
Amy bit her lip, vainly trying to stifle a burst of laughter.
 
Another Elder shook his head. "Is that all? Dreaming of something is not necessarily
Fate. In your case, Mesuinu, one would have to say this is an obsession."
 
"There! That's the first right decision you've made so far." Indivar beamed.
 
The Elders scowled at him, something the wolf guardian promptly ignored.
 
Mesuinu was becoming flustered. The Elders dared to deny her of her prize?
 
"Cye is mine!” she screamed.
 
“Then henshinn.” Amy requested flatly.
 
“Nani?” Mesuinu asked, not understanding.
 
The blue-haired girl stood up, proud and tall.
 
Turning her cool eyes at Mesuinu, she added, “It is a known fact that a planetary princess is not only a princess, she is also a Senshi; a warrior in her own right.”
 
“If you claim to be the reincarnated Mercury Princess, then you should have a henshinn item. Otherwise, you're just a fraud.” she concluded.
 
Mutterings rippled through the crowded room.
 
Another Elder nodded, “What she says is right, Mesuinu. Prove yourself by henshinning.”
 
Mesuinu snarled, unable to bring forth a henshinn item.
 
"Then Fate is not at work, only obsession." yet another Elder concluded. "Your challenge is denied, Mesuinu."
 
The annoying tingle at the back of Amy's mind grew slightly in intensity, enough to draw her attention from the goings-on before her. Something was coming, something powerful.
Something dangerous, but it wasn't a Card. It didn't feel the same.
 
Movement suddenly caught the corner of her eye and she looked up in time to see Mesuinu launching a punch aimed for her head
 
Cye's fearful gasp was enough of a warning to the young Senshi.
 
In a blindingly fast move, she blocked the impending blow and painfully twisted
 
Mesuinu's arm behind her back, shoving her away from herself.
 
The ice magician stumbled in an attempt to keep from falling, quickly regained her balance, and then whirled around to face her Cousin, leering at him lustily as she rubbed the pain from her arm.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
At that very moment, Amy's senses flared to life and she gasped.
 
Whatever it was she had felt earlier had arrived.
 
It was dark and evil.
 
Cye felt it as well, the sensation temporarily drawing his attention away from Mesuinu.
 
The obsessed teen saw her chance and threw another punch aimed for the outsider's face.
In Mesuinu's mind, she believed that if she could mar the beautiful Princess's features then perhaps it would convince Cye to consider her.
 
The blow missed completely when the teen sorceress easily ducked and began running after her beloved Torrents who was already heading for the chamber's door with Neive Bien and Indivar barely managing to keep up to him.
 
"Open the doors!" the Warrior of Torrents shouted to the attendants.
 
Startled, the attendants obeyed quickly, opening the massive wooden doors to the night bathed terraces beyond.
 
The moon was hidden by dark storm clouds moving in from the East, casting no light to see by.
 
Both water warriors' senses screamed in high alert to the magical form hiding somewhere in the darkness ahead.
 
Cautiously, the duo stepped away from the ceremonial pavilion and the throngs of people crowding the door behind them. At the head of this crowd stood the seven ancient Elders. Whatever this strange attack was they considered it the perfect opportunity to test this so-called Mercury Princess's abilities. If she was the real princess, then she would defeat this force.
 
"Where is it?" Cye grumbled under his breath. "Is it a Card?" he asked more loudly of his girlfriend, his eyes trying to pierce the thick night.
 
Amy's eyes stayed fixed on the shadows. "No, it feels different, darker... bigger."
 
"But it is here." Neive Bien voiced. "It's waiting for us to make the first move."
Indivar nodded in agreement.
 
"Well I want to see what I'm up against before I try anything." Cye stated with a nod to his partner.
 
She understood and nodded in return.
 
Her henshinn gem glowed in response as she rose it in the air.
 
A bright flash of ice-blue light swallowed the girl as she transformed. Snowflakes and ice crystals surrounded the glowing body of Amy, settling all over her torso, forming her body suit and gloves. The transformation orb formed into a broach and settled in front of Amy's chest. A light mist settled around the lower half of her waist, forming her skirt. The clip that held the upper half of her hair back, faded into a frosty shade of blue. The remaining snowflakes and ice shards centered in the middle of her chest and on her back, forming the ribbons that held her broach and the ribbon that was secured on the back of her sailor skirt. A Frost Card appeared in her hand as she closed her eyes in concentration. A glowing circle of light and glowing ancient symbols of Mercurian power appeared at her feet.
 
"Glow Card. Release and dispel." In a lightning fast move she tossed the card out before her and hit it dead center with the head of her wand. "Release!"
 
Instantly the card seemed to explode into a multitude of floating spheres glowing with their own inner light. They floated quickly to every recess of the terrace, chasing away every and all shadows and darkness until the massive shape of the attacker was revealed.
 
"By the Great Dragon..." Cye breathed in a mixture of awe, fear and disbelief.
 
Towering a full story in height stood a creature of pure nightmare. Four powerful legs tipped in razor sharp claws; a long tail much like a whip, a muscular torso covered in a rough mix of coarse hairs, sharp spindly spikes and thick scales, and sitting atop a thick neck base sat the three heads of a dog. White fangs gleamed within red mouths, six red eyes searching for their prey. The entire creature was blacker than pitch, a vicious growl rumbling in its shared ribcage. The ground shook with each lumbering step this monster took. All three heads suddenly howled at once, the deafening wail echoing in the estate's neighboring hills.
 
The fur on Indivar's back stood on end like an enraged cat.
 
"Cerberus." he hissed venomously.
 
Cye shook his head slowly in clear disbelief. "The Guardian Beast of Tartarus. The creature who hunts down souls to bring them to Hell and keeps them there."
 
"That's not possible!" Amy protested. "He's only supposed to be a myth."
 
"Tell him that."
 
One of the demon dog's three heads swung around to the stunned water warriors, its glowing red eyes narrowing at the feel of magic from them. It snarled, revealing glistening white fangs. The soul mates and the tow Mercury Guardian Beasts braced themselves, ready for any move from this creature of nightmares.
 
They didn't have long to wait. With a mighty belch a column of blue fire shot forth from its maw towards the magical trio. Neive Bien flew straight up and out of the way, leaving the soul mates to dive away from the flames and each other.
 
Amy rolled to her feet and stared at the hulking creature in shock. "There wasn't anything written anywhere that he could do that!"
 
"I don't think anyone knew he could do that!" Cye replied.
 
"Run behind him! It'll take him a few minutes to figure out how to turn around!"
 
Sure enough, with each magic user circling around the creature on either side of it, the Hellhound struggled with its outer two heads to decide whether to turn left or right. This gave the partners a brief moment to regroup.
 
"Any ideas how we stop this thing?" Amy questioned her boyfriend.
 
"Your guess is as good as mine. This is the first time I've gone up against something like this."
 
"Oh, like I'm an expert?" she replied lightly.
 
He suddenly grabbed her shoulders and pulled her down out of the way just as the creature's wiry tail lashed just above their heads. Looking up again the magic users noticed the Hell beast's three heads had finally come to a consensus and the body was beginning to turn to attack, completely ignoring the throngs of helpless people at the pavilion watching the battle. The two teens blinked in realization.
 
"We're the targets!" Amy exclaimed.
 
Cye frowned grimly. "Never a dull moment." he grumbled.
 
The lithe sorceress called upon the Jump Card, making a pair of tiny white wings to materialize at each of her ankles, only seconds before the whip-like tail swiped at them again. Together the partners jumped high, avoiding the appendage.
 
"We've got to lead him away from the pavilion!" Amy called to Cye as they touched ground.
 
"We can't risk the others accidentally being hurt!"
 
"Head for the jungle!" he called back.
 
She saw him swing his yari at the incoming tail as she turned to run, slicing off the end of the beast's tail. It howled in pain as a green ichor spurt forth from the fresh wound. It whirled around, its red eyes flashing in fury and pain, and ran after the sprinting two Mizu Senshi.
 
Cye easily caught up to Amy and stayed ahead of her by a mere stride, part of his mind marveling at the stamina and speed she had accrued over the years of battling monsters.
 
Was it your plan to seriously tick him off like that? he heard her say in his mind.
 
Hey, he's following us, isn't he?
 
Tell me again that you have an idea of what to do.
 
Sure do. Follow my lead, he instructed her as they neared the tree line.
 
He took a running leap against the nearest tree trunk, using it to jump higher on the neighboring tree; to finally use this last one as another jump point to the high tree branched near the canopy.
 
Amy followed suit only a leap behind him thanks to the Jump Card.
 
Following a zig-zag pattern, the warriors of water leapt from tree to tree, branch to branch, trying to lead the legendary three-headed canine away from the estate's buildings all the while trying to stay away from it themselves.
 
Unable to run through the edge of the jungle due to its size, the Guardian of Tartarus ran along the tree line, glowing red eyes almost desperately keeping the fleeing duo within its sight.
 
Cye kept an eye on the creature as well as he hopped along, gauging what to do next.
 
In mid-leapt, a sort of plan came to him to gain time. Leaping onto another branch he came to a sudden stop.
 
Just as Amy landed next to him he whirled around, wrapped an arm around her slim waist, and leapt to the tree they had just come from. From there it was a short hop to the jungle floor, hiding under the thick foliage at the tree's base. Cerberus stopped running and sniffed at the air, confused that it couldn't see it's prey anymore. Its three heads growled softly as it searched the treetops.
 
Now what? Amy sent as she struggled to quiet her panting breath. She was pressed close to Cye's back to keep an eye on their antagonist through the foliage.
 
There has to be a way to stop big, bad and ugly, the warrior reasoned, trying to stay focused on the task at hand and not the warmth of her body pressed against his back. He has to have some sort of weakness we can use.
 
Then, a brainwave came to Amy.
 
Wait, he is from Hell right? she questioned.
 
Yeah. So? Cye asked back.
 
Their conversation was cut by a `Frost Blast!' by Neive Bien.
 
Cerberus's three heads looked to the ice phoenix with an almost warning growl as it dodged the ice ball.
 
He cringed and his menace became even more ferocious when both Mercury Guardian Beasts morphed back into their true forms, the resulting snowflakes and ice crystals descending on him, forcing the beast to take an involuntary step back.
 
The hidden pair did not miss the move. Slow grins spread across their faces at the sight.
 
Well, well, well. So the mutt is afraid of a little ice and snow, is he? the warrior smirked in satisfaction.
 
Amy held up both the Watery and Freeze Cards with a coy grin. Then let's teach it a few tricks of our own, ne?
 
Cye looked to the two Frost Cards, then to Cerberus, then shook his head in negative. We need something stronger than the Freeze and Watery Cards and my water attack. Much stronger.
 
She paused in thought, then blinked at an idea. Aizu-jin!
 
He looked at her sharply. Can you summon her?
 
Again she had a thoughtful pause. I'll need your water attack to give Watery and my ice attack to give Freeze enough power to release her.
 
He nodded, then stared hard at the Hellhound, his body tensing in readiness. Ready?
 
The ice Senshi crouched, ready to pounce. Hai.
 
They waited just long enough for the three heads to be looking off away from them, then dashed out onto the terrace to stand behind the monstrous creature. The duo stood at some distance from each other, each prepared to summon their powers to come to their aid.
 
Again the glowing circle appeared at Amy's feet as she held up the two Cards.
 
"Watery. Release and dispel." she began to chant.
 
Cye pointed his yari at the Frost Card she held, trying to get his timing just right for this delicate maneuver.
 
Amy tossed the card in front of her. "Release!" she called, striking the card's center with practiced ease.
 
"Super Wave Smasher!" the warrior shouted, a stream of water erupting from the tip of his yari to connect with the now glowing Frost Card.
 
The glow grew in intensity, crackling with swirling water as both warriors pour more and more of their energies into this rare event.
 
Cerberus turned to face the soul mates, growling as it took a sudden step back, unsure about this growing form of water before it.
 
"Freeze. Release and dispel." Amy continued.
 
The Freeze Card appeared before her and looked at her Mistress.
“Mercury Ice Formation!” she cried. The powerful blast of ice rush towards the Card as she took it in, absorbing the power.
 
The forest suddenly seemed to light up before them as the two Cards took in the additional power.
 
Then, they shot up into the air and finally merged.
 
The large ball of ice exploded into blinding white light, forcing everyone's eyes closed to keep from being permanently blinded. When the glare faded, a new creature stood there made of pure light and power, ice energy made manifest.
 
Aizu-jin had returned.
 
The two beasts stared each other down like two Alpha males vying for dominance. Both Amy and Cye approached Aizu-jin on either side, wary of its power, knowing she could be just as unpredictable as the ice that had spawned her. The ice beast literally crackled with power.
 
"Aizu-jin!" Amy commanded of the beast's attention.
 
Ice made living turned her head enough to see her Mistress point her staff at the rival beast, a frown of determination on her face.
"Sic him!" she ordered fiercely, her voice even.
 
She looked again to Cerberus, let loose a terrifying howl, then shot forward at her target with the speed only an elemental beast like her possessed.
 
The Hellhound never had a chance to move out of the way. Mighty jaws of pure energy clamped down hard of the base of the three sinewy necks with a sickening crunch. Bolts of icy electricity cascaded all around Aizu-jin's body, penetrating the victim of her bite in merciless waves.
 
Cerberus howled in agony, bucking wildly, trying to rid itself of the magical creature at its collar. Its lashing and jerking brought it dangerously close to the water warriors.
 
Purely out of instinct and worry for Amy's safety, Cye quickly wrapped an arm around her waist and leapt out of the way of a massive incoming paw.
 
At a safe distance they turned back and continued to watch the battle.
 
Neive Bien and Indivar suddenly appeared between them, also intent on the fighting creatures.
 
Cye rose an eyebrow at the two guardians.
 
"Where have you been all this time?" he asked
 
Neive Bien replied. "We've been trying to keep that rabble you call family from interfering here, gaki."
 
Amy didn't pay attention to the two, her eyes fixed on the creatures locked in a mortal combat before her.
 
Aizu-jin released her grip from the front of Cerberus's collar, shifting a short leap onto its
spiked back. The fabled ice beast's brilliant white fangs sank into her prey's shared nape with a resounding snap only seconds before a bolt of icy lightning came crashing down at the mistress of ice's bidding.
 
The loud energy bolt had no effect on Aizu-jin, but gave very startling results on the Beast of Tartarus.
 
Flesh and scale seemed to transmute into gleaming black crystal.
 
As Amy watched she began to notice fissures appearing all over the crystalline surface. It took her a second to realize what was going to happen and it was almost a second too late.
 
"Shield Card, release and dispel, release!" she called in a heated rush.
 
A transparent bubble surrounded her and her three companions a split second before the solidified beast exploded into a multitude of crystal shards. The force of the explosion reached the four, even within the protective barrier, knocking them to the ground.
 
Recovering moments later, they looked up to find Aizu-jin scratching at the rubble as if in search of her foe, then howling to the sky in victory.
 
The Frost Card Mistress recalled the Shield Card and the Jump Card before dashing to the edge of the pile of rubble.
 
"Aizu-jin!" she called to the ice beast with a bright smile.
 
She looked down at her Mistress and her kitsune-like features seemed to return her smile.
With her tongue lolling out on one side, she leapt down from the debris to her Mistress, nuzzling her face against her neck affectionately.
 
Amy giggled at the mighty beast being so gentle and hugged her tight, noticing how carefully she held her energy in check so as not to harm her. She keened happily at the pride and affection her Mistress radiated.
 
"You did really well, Aizu-jin." she praised.
 
Her lightning bolt of a tail wagged joyfully as she stared at her, the semblance of a smile pulling up the corners of her mouth, her tongue lolling out to one side. It gave her an almost comical expression.
 
"You're an overgrown fox after you're captured, you know that?" Cye accused with a playful chuckle, giving the beast a good scratch behind the ear. "Well fought."
 
Aizu-jin merely blinked at him, her expression unchanging and her hind leg twitching from the pleasure the scratch gave her.
 
"Arigatou for your help." Amy then told the ice beast. She looked up at the glowing orbs in the air. "You too, Glow. Time to go back now."
 
The physical representation of the combined Freeze and Watery Cards sat on her haunches and waiting patiently to be re-sealed by the Frost Card Mistress. She smiled at her, at the ease she was making this for her. She raised her wand high with one hand.
 
"Glow Card, Freeze Card, Watery Card! Return to your powers confined. Glow, Freeze and Watery !" she chanted, her wand connecting to a spot in mid-air.
 
Aizu-jin and the glowing orbs melted into mist and materialized into three Frost Cards floating in the air. They drifted easily into their owner's waiting hand, unresisting. She smiled at them one last time before looking to her boyfriend and her Guardians both examining the pile of black crystal.
 
Cye picked up one of the chunks and frowned at the feeling it gave him. Amy felt it too thanks to the unique bond they shared.
 
The aura around the piece was dark, cold, a tingling charge around it that felt nothing like the residual change of electricity. It felt very ancient, almost like a Card, a Card that she had tried to capture for so long. She moved closer, gulping, her hand hovering tentatively above the glittering stone in his hand, not yet daring to touch it herself. Knowing sapphires met worry-stricken clear sea-green.
 
"What does it mean?" he asked her.
 
"Death Card`s doing."
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Rain pattered gently against the clay tiles overhanging Cye Mouri's balcony late into the night.
 
It was a soothing sound, mixed with the soft rumble of thunder, but still Cye felt uneasy.
 
Sleep refused to come. He lay on his oversized bed and just stared at the ceiling, thinking, enjoying the feel of the cool sheets against the skin of his back and arms. It was too warm outside, even with the rain, to wear a shirt to bed. Just the pants seemed to be enough.
 
He had a lot of questions about what had happened earlier on the terrace with the Hellhound, Cerberus. He knew the Death Card sent it and wondered what the reason had been for this attack. It seemed so senseless yet orchestrated for a specific purpose.
 
What was that purpose?
 
The answer was yet unknown. Cerberus had been defeated and Amy was safe. For the moment that was the most important thing. A smile suddenly touched his lips.
 
Amy-chan. My Snowflake.
 
Moments after she had informed him that the Death Card was responsible, the ranking members of his Clan had rushed up to them. He would forever remember the adorable look of shock on Amy's face when his whole Clan, minus Higato and Mesuinu, had kneeled before her in deep respect and some visible fear.
 
Any girl who could summon and control Aizu-jin the Legendary Ice Beast with such ease was definitely a force to be reckoned with. The eldest of the Elders had then declared her to be the true Mercury Princess.
 
She had looked so bewildered about it all that Cye had forgotten himself and laughed.
 
Whispers among the crowd reached the Elders on how Higato and Mesuinu were refusing to bow down to the girl.
 
A bare hand gesture had called for the attendants to force them to their knees in respect.
 
Mesuinu had growled in protest. Then, when everyone had sufficiently recovered from the sight of Cerberus and the battle, she had leapt to her feet and had re-issued her challenge.
 
The Elders had merely glared at Mesuinu, making her shrink visibly. Once again the Elders had denied her and had then begun to lead everyone back into the pavilion.
Higato too had voiced a very loud protest at this proceedings, but another glare from the
Elders and the rest of the Clan had silenced him.
 
Cye wondered just how much of a humiliation it would take to make Higato back down once and for all. Couldn't he understand that Amy didn't want him?
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Mouri Mesuinu screamed with all her might in the privacy of her bedroom in the estate's guest pavilion. A vase shattered against the wall, spilling water and fresh cut flowers in every which direction.
 
So close.
 
She had come so close to being rid of the outsider once and for all. She had been certain that her story about Fate and dreaming about Princess Mercury's memories had been enough to convince the Elders that she is the true Princess.
 
Cye's heart would have been sufficiently crushed that it would have been so simple for her to step in and comfort him, becoming an instant friend and no doubt a future wife for the action.
 
But the Elders had denied the challenge.
 
Then the Hellhound had attacked, making matters even worse. It had been the last shred of proof the water warriors had offered to the Clan to support all their previous claims.
 
They worked with each other perfectly.
 
They understood what needed to be done with barely a word spoken.
 
The outsider henshinned, called and used the Frost Cards with the utmost ease.
 
Through and through, Cye and the Frost Card Mistress were, truly and definitely, partners.
 
Another vase went crashing into a wall from Mesuinu's hand. The rumors had already begun to circulate through the estate about the pair, rumors that had the ice Senshi about to become the one and only woman to stand at Cye's side as his wife.
 
Yet another vase went flying.
 
Her only comfort was that this news was still only an idle rumor. And rumors could be changed.
 
Mesuinu grinned deviously as a dark ice ball appeared above her palm.
 
Yes, the outsider will pay for this. Soon, very soon, my dear Cye, I'll make you mine.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Takasa Higato stalked the dark and empty halls of the Mouri Clan's estate, a furious growl issuing from his throat. His plan was ruined. It had been so simple, so perfect. For the Mouri Clan, nothing was more sacred and revered that Fate itself. When one spoke of Fate guiding their path, one was always believed.
 
All Higato had to do was explain to the Elders how Fate was working to bring him and the lovely Amy Hashiba together. There was no way the Elders could refute the proof he offered. The lovely chess player would have then been his.
 
But his dear Cousin, Cye Mouri, had managed to find an even better plan. He had presented the lithe chess champion to the Elders as the reincarnated Princess Mercury, as the Mistress of the Frost Cards.
 
And to make matters worse, he had presented her as his partner and equal. His soul mate.
Higato knew what that meant. His Okaa-san's family legends had been drilled into him from the first moment he learned to understand.
 
If Hashiba was really the Frost Card Mistress and since Mouri was the bearer of the Torrent amour, then they fulfilled the Clan's prophecy. They were far more than Fated to be together.
 
They were Destined.
 
This made Higato all the more furious, bringing him close to howling. He had been refused this prize yet again. And now the taunts of his many Cousins and the reprimands of his elders haunted his self-tortured mind.
 
You are obsessed...
 
She'll never want you...
 
The Princess's path lies with Cye`s, never with yours...
 
She refused you...
 
She loves Shin dearly. It shows...
 
Don't Mouri-sama and the lovely princess make a handsome couple?
 
Higato shouted out his frustration, striking a nearby marble column with his fist to help vent some of his fury. It hurt. He smiled at the pain. Pain was good. This was the kind of pain he wanted Cye to feel in his heart.
 
I deserve lovely Hashiba so much more than he does, he growled.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
“You okay?” Cye asked in concern, looking worriedly in Amy's tired eyes.
 
“The Death Card is still out there.” she answered warily.
 
“I know.” he whispered, nuzzling her neck.
 
Right now, they were lying together as Cye stared into her eyes, his arms encircling her lithe form protectively.
 
“Rest, love. It's getting late and you had a busy day” he added, chiding her.
 
“Not tired.” she protested.
 
"Still, you should get some rest." he whispered. Then, he pulled back to smile down at her seductively. "There'll be more time for fun after we deal with this whole mess with
the Death Card.”
 
She pouted, her eyes smiling up at him. "You're doing this on purpose."
 
"And you're stalling. Now sleep." he ordered gently.
 
"Just a little while longer?" she pleaded adorably.
 
He resisted with a soft chuckle. "Sleep."
 
"Mou, Cye.”
 
He placed a finger on her lips to silence her. "Patience, my Snowflake. There'll be plenty of time for that later."
 
"Promise?"
 
He nodded. "On my honor and love for you." he assured.
 
This seemed to quell any further argument from her, her pout now replaced by a purely loving smile. She snuggled closer to him, her head pillowed in the crook of his shoulder.
 
The young warrior rested his cheek against the top of her head, holding her body close to his own as he wrapped his thin covers around them, their legs intertwining comfortably.
 
Amy smiled blissfully at the feel of his strong hands tenderly caressing her back and at the sound of his powerful heart beating under her cheek. Her arms tightened around him.
 
Long minutes passed in contented silence.
 
"Cye?" she mumbled as sleep began to grip her senses.
 
"Hai?" he near yawned, succumbing to his exhaustion.
 
"Aishiteru." and she fought off sleep just long enough to place a soft kiss in the hollow between his collarbones.
 
He smiled and gently pressed his lips in a lingering kiss to her brow. "Aishiteru, Amy-chan.” he breathed, then fell into a peaceful sleep.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
Perched comfortably on one of the bedposts at the foot of the oversized bed, Neive Bien watched the sleeping couple with both interest and slight envy. She had woken up early that morning on Amy's pillow only to find the bed empty. There had been no immediate
sign of her in the room anywhere. Worry had begun to grow in the miniature phoenix as she had flown over to the closed bathroom door and listened. There had been no sounds from there.
 
In a panic, Neive Bien had flown to the only person he knew would have been able to find the missing princess no matter where she was: Cye Mouri.
 
She had flown in through the open balcony doors, ready to shout the warrior awake, and received a shock at the sight, immediately silencing him. Amy was there, sleeping in the arms of her boyfriend, without a single line of worry on her face.
 
At first, Neive Bien had been afraid that the two had done something they shouldn't have, but her fears were squashed by the lack of clothes strewn about the room. They had waited.
 
Then, Neive Bien stiffened abruptly as her magical senses screamed to life. Somewhere on the estate, very nearby, was one very distinct and familiar sense of powerful magic.
 
Neive Bien hovered in the air, on the defensive of her Mistress, frowning in the general direction the feeling was coming from.
 
At that point, Indivar bounded into the room, growling at the appearance of a Card.
 
“The Death Card.” Amy hissed, snapping her eyes open at the sharp sense of magic.
 
“Damn.” Cye muttered in response.
 
Turning to her two Guardians, Amy nodded and took off, with Cye hot on her tails.
 
"I was wondering how long it would take it to show up." She mumbled as she ran to the balcony's open door.
 
As she ran out of the estate, she ripped the key off her neck and chanted.
 
“Ancient Key of Ice,
Heed my call,
Show your true self before me,
Release!”
 
The magic circle of Mercury appeared under her as the said key spiraled with pure energies as icy mists surrounded the key, transforming it into the Staff of Ice.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
SailorStar9: And the Death Card reappears. Will our beloved couple capture this elusive Card this time? And what of Takasa and Mesuinu? Stay tuned and find out.