Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening Angel ❯ Manipulation and Betrayal ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Another chapter, another disclaimer. I've been trying to make these things at least a little entertaining… but I've finally run out of comments. So. I don't own the Ronin Warriors, the Dynasty, or Kayura. Shara, Kenji, Miaka, Eros, and the other new Warlord are all mine. Oh, yeah. And the Empress, who I'm only going to mention in passing, is also mine. Manipulation and Betrayal

"'Eros'?" Ryo snickered. "What kind of name is that? Oooo… fear me! I am the mighty Warlord of… what, dude? Love? You're the Dynasty's Cupid? Oh, spooky. Very dangerous."

The Warlord chuckled. "Actually, you're not far from the truth. I control the feelings and emotions of others. Mainly lust and such." He spoke casually, waving his hand in a circle through the air, as if his powers were something everyone did.

Rowen raised his head from Shara's shoulder, still wiping tears from his eyes. "So, wait. You were controlling me? Making me say things that aren't true? Giving me feelings that aren't real?"

"Not quite." Eros smiled. "I can't invent emotions. That's just impossible. However, I can manipulate feelings that you already have, but are unwilling to express. Or just make slight inclinations stronger." He clapped his hands together slowly, sardonically. "And I'd like to thank you two for making my job so much easier. Usually I have to really twist and struggle to achieve what I have with you, but you're both full of such… such… confusion and secrets. It's great! I get to save my energy that way. For more important things. Like killing all of you."

Shara rolled her eyes and laughed. "Okay. So. You're going to kill us by manipulating our emotions? Errr… now, how exactly does that work?"

"Don't be stupid, girl," he snapped back. "I have other talents." Eros waved his hand and a ten-inch dagger appeared in each hand. He twirled both of them in his fingertips, the deadly silver metal gleaming in the sunlight trickling in through the window behind him. "I'm going to kill you with these."

"With those toys?" Ryo raised his swords, each nearly three times longer than Eros' daggers. "Why am I not afraid?"

Sage grinned at his fiery friend and raised his own broadsword. "We can take him without a problem. Let's go, Ryo." The two Warriors leaped into action, shoving Shara and Rowen out of their way.

Eros raised his daggers and jumped back, moving just out of the range of both of the Ronins' attacks. Sage followed, swinging his sword upward in an arc to try and slice through the Warlord's armor. He sidestepped and charged at Sage's side, burying a dagger in his side.

Sage staggered back, clutching the wound. Then he gritted his teeth, tightened his grip on the sword, and jumped up, swinging his blade down toward Eros' head. At the same time, Ryo attacked from the side with a slash aimed at Eros' shoulder and upper arm. The Warlord took a quick step backwards and watched as the two Warriors' weapons slammed into each other. Both Sage and Ryo's weapons fell to the floor, knocked loose by the force of their attacks. Eros stepped forward and scooped up the three swords. He slammed his fist through the window and dropped the weapons outside.

"Who said long-range is an advantage?" Eros smiled and kicked Sage in his injured side. "Your weapons are cumbersome and limit your abilities. Really, speed is the key to any battle."

Rowen straightened up and nodded. "I couldn't agree more. But when you have range and speed as advantages… the battle is over before it even begins." He raised his bow and set an arrow in position. Fury burned in his gaze as he thought about what this Warlord had done to him, the trouble he had caused with his interference.

Rowen gave the Warlord a rakish smirk. "See ya. Arrow Shockwave!"

The golden light that exploded from the point on the ground where the Ronin's arrow pierced struck Eros. He fell back, shuddering in pain, and tried to crawl away from the energy to avoid further damage. When the glow faded, Eros was lying on the floor, his armor scorched and his body weakened. Yet he still managed to rise to his feet once more and face the Warriors.

"Impressive power. Fueled by hate, you're even stronger than usual." Despite his anguish, the Warlord managed a sneer. "You'd make an excellent Warlord, boy, with all that darkness in your heart."

Rowen stiffened, his eyes narrowing. "I'm not like you. Don't even say that."

"Oh, aren't you?" Eros continued to smile. "You are completely full of hate. Hate for the Dynasty, hate for your friends… and even hate for yourself. You're a pathetic excuse for a 'righteous' Ronin." He gestured toward Cye and Kento. "You hate them because of their happiness. No matter how much the world may look down on their 'friendship', they'll always be happy with each other, and will always be accepted by the people who count the most to them. You'll never have either acceptance or happiness."

Then he pointed at Ryo. "Ryo and Miaka will live happily ever after. Married, in love, a picture perfect couple. Again, something you'll never be a part of. You envy them, and hate Ryo for having something you can never have."

Next he indicated Sage. "Your reasons for hating him should be completely obvious. He has your girl, the woman you dream about day and night. And now he's even found out about your attempts to pursue his wife. Now he'll never accept you as a true friend, and he'll never give up his wife to you. Because of him, you'll be an outcast in the little Warrior clique. And you'll never have the love you crave. Good reasons for the hate in your heart, no?"

Lastly he waved at Shara. "And her. The woman you'll never have. Who tempted you, teased you, gave you what you craved, and then took it all away. Because she decided you weren't good enough for her. She pities you, Strata. Pities you! That's the only reason you got that one chance to experience happiness, that one night. Only because she thinks you're pathetic. You have all the reason in the world to hate her. Hey, anyone in your position would hate her."

Eros concentrated his gaze on Rowen, his black eyes taking on a silvery sheen. "Don't be afraid of hate, Strata. It gives you strength. Power. The desire necessary to eliminate those who oppose you. Accept it. Relish it. Use it to strike down those who torment you!"

Rowen's body trembled as the words swept over him. Each statement rang true in his mind. He did hate all of them. They flaunted what they had, mocking him, taunting him with their happiness. None of them cared how much it hurt him. All they thought about was themselves. Self-centered, terrible people. They trampled his heart, and never gave it a second thought. They deserved to be punished.

A numbness started behind his eyes and began to spread throughout his body. It devoured his mind, crept down his throat like a cold worm, and tainted his heart. Each place it touched withered and died, becoming hollow and desolate. A small rainbow began to glow within his chest, trying to fight against the darkness that threatened to destroy it. But the weight of Rowen's hatred crushed the last trace of light, and the struggle ceased. Rowen felt nothing, saw nothing, except the darkness.

He opened his eyes.

Shara stepped back. She'd been shaking him, trying to pull him out of the odd stillness that had seized his body. The coldness that now gleamed from his gaze was frightening. Rowen's stunning eyes, which had always been dark, were now as black as the night sky. But other than the color, there was just something… sinister about his stare. Something that promised destruction.

"Ro… Rowen?" Her voice trembled uncertainly. She extended one hand toward him, fingertips brushing his cheek. He reached up and took her hand in his, pulling her close to him. His eyes were fixed on her face, burning her with the intensity of his stare. Rowen placed his other hand at her waist and forced her even closer. Then he pressed his cheek against hers. It was a thing he had done many times before, and each time it had been with sweetness. But now there was something cold and precise about his touch. There was no tenderness in his movements. No emotion at all.

"Shara." His breath was icy across her cheek. Her eyes widened. The gentle way he had always said her name was gone. Now it was like he was speaking to a block of wood. She couldn't understand what had happened to him, how he could ever be so chillingly detached. Then his arm tensed and a wave a pain swept over Shara.

He had crushed her hand.

Rowen moved his head back, released her hand, and shoved his hand against her face. He pushed her backward with that hand, while his other pressed roughly against her lower back. Shara looked up at him, noticing how his gaze had gone from ice to burning with fury. The fire in his eyes seemed to fuel his body, making him stronger than humanly possible. He kept pushing her backward, and her body was now nearly bent in half at the waist. Any farther and she'd snap like a dry twig. Shara suppressed a scream of pain as she tried to fight against his grasp. But he was a Ronin and more than a match for her, even without the unearthly strength that now possessed him. He kept up the pressure and a sharp pop seemed to echo through the room. Then he let her go.

Shara collapsed to the floor and didn't move.

Eros threw back his head and laughed. "Very good, boy! The Empress would be quite pleased!"

Sage was pale as he cradled his wife in his arms. "What… what have you done?! Shara… Shara!" He cupped her cheek in his palm and stroked her face with his fingertips. "Please… please wake up!"

Rowen looked down at them, a cold smile on his face. "She's not dead, you idiot. But you'll never get to experience the… pleasure… of her company again. I hope you remember the last time well. Because it will never happen again."

"You bastard!" Sage shook with rage, his normally calm eyes blazing. "How could you do this to her?!"

"All you have is memories. That's all I have. I'm merely giving to you what she gave to me." Rowen tilted his head. "Can't you see the justice? She did terrible things with her body. Teasing, taunting, seducing. She took men's feelings, used them to get what she wanted, and then discarded them when she grew bored. Now she won't hurt anyone like that again."

Sage gently lowered his wife's body to the floor and stood up. "No. You can't justify destroying her life, Rowen. No matter how much she may have hurt you. And the blame isn't all on her either. You played your part in that little saga." He fixed a stony gaze on his fellow Warrior. "You both screwed up, but it was all over. Everything would have been okay. But now you've done something I can't forgive, Rowen. And I'll make sure you pay dearly for it."

Sage's sword came rushing through the window, summoned by its master's surge of power, and he caught it easily.

Eros clapped his hands and actually giggled with glee. "This is too good! Now you're also feeling the hate burning in you, Halo! Filling you with power! The desire to kill those who hurt you! Glorious, glorious!" He narrowed his eyes once more and fixed his attention on the Warrior of Wisdom. "Feel it within you, Halo. Pulsing with energy just waiting to be tapped. Use it to destroy Strata! Do it, do it!"

Sage's clear blue eyes met the Warlord's intense mercury gaze. "Shut up." He waved his hand, sending a wave of green light at the wicked man. It consumed Eros, filling his body with blinding light. He shrieked and jumped around, trying to find some way to escape the energy. But it had become a part of him, and there was no way to separate himself from it. The green power exploded in one last blast, and the Warlord was no more.

Sage turned his attention back to Rowen. "Now for you."

Ryo grabbed his friend's arm. "No, man. Don't do it. You can't kill Rowen, Sage! He's our friend!"

The green-clad Ronin shrugged off Ryo's hand. "He's no friend of mine. Let me do what I must."

Cye stepped up to join the three. "Now that Eros is destroyed, perhaps Rowen will return to normal. You know he wouldn't have done what he did if it hadn't been for the Warlord."

Sage shook his head. "That doesn't matter. The motivation may be withdrawn, but what has been done cannot be undone. So I must get my revenge."

Kento also moved forward, shaking his head sadly. "No, dude. If you kill Rowen, you're just as bad as he is. But you're evil without some guy's magic. That'd make what you do even worse."

Rowen's eyes swept from one Warrior to the next, contempt sparking in his dark eyes. "Stop. Let Sage do what he wants. I want to fight him. A battle to the death. We both hate each other, so why not let us settle the score?"

"There goes your theory about Rowen being okay again, Cye," Ryo muttered. "But still. We can't let you fight, guys. It'd be a disaster to lose a Warrior, and an even bigger one if another Ronin kills him. So chill your egos."

Sage merely tightened his grasp on the sword and glared at Rowen coldly. "I'm ready when you are." Rowen nodded silently and picked up his bow, readying an arrow. The two glared at one another briefly, sizing up the situation, each waiting for the other to make the first move. Sage's right leg gave an involuntary twitch before he leapt to the right, giving Rowen the moment's warning he needed to respond correctly. He moved to the left, raising his bow to deflect the blow of Sage's sword. He pulled back the string of his bow quickly and tried to get off a quick shot.

"Stop this!" Cye thrust the tip of his trident into Rowen's arrow to block the shot. Kento and Ryo moved behind Sage, each grabbing an arm to hold him back.

"There will be no more fighting in my dining room. It took me forever to get this place decorated just right, and I'm not going to let your petty feuds screw up my nice and neat house." He winced, aware of how pathetic his attempt to break the tension really was. "Come on, Kayura. You've been way too quiet for a long time now. Do something!"

The Ancient shook her head regretfully. "No. This is a problem you six must solve on your own. If you can let such things destroy your team, then you are no match for the Dynasty. Discern a solution and then move forward. Only when you are united can you save Miaka and Kenji."

Rowen's eyes widened when Kayura mentioned those two names. A light descended on his features, pushing back the bitter cold for a moment. "Kenji…"

Cye noticed the change in his expression and pounced on the opportunity. "Yes, Rowen. Kenji. If you and Sage don't stop fighting, Kenji will die. We need your help if we ever want to get him back."

Sage slowly lowered his sword, pointing its tip at the floor. "Kenji… I… I forgot about him for a moment… God… What kind of father am I?" He closed his eyes and let his weapon clatter to the floor. "Alright. Let's find some way to solve all this." He turned to look at Rowen, preparing some kind of speech in his mind, but stopped when he saw the expression on the blue-haired Ronin's face.

A struggle seemed to be going on beneath the surface of Rowen's face. A light shone in his eyes and tears trickled down his cheeks. The set of his jaw was still firm and impassive, but the genuine sadness and regret that was taking hold of his gaze was slowly creeping across his face. The shadow that had seized control was gradually being forced away. But it wasn't giving up. Rowen lifted the bow and pointed an arrow at Sage.

His lips moved to form words with which his eyes didn't agree. "Die, Halo."

His fingers relaxed to release the bowstring.

Gentle fingers touched his ankle. "… Rowen."

He looked down in amazement. Shara was trying to push herself up with one hand, knowing that her other hand and her legs were completely useless. She had to be in such incredible pain, but she was still trying to save him. Still trying to stop him from doing something he might regret. His conscience, always his conscience.

"Kenji needs you, Rowen. You can't ignore him. You can't forget him. No matter how much you may hate Sage, no matter how much you may hate me… That boy has done nothing to hurt you. That child loves you, Rowen, and I know you love him, too. Don't forsake him. Don't let him die."

He dropped his arms at his sides and the bow fell to the floor. "… I won't, Shara. I won't let him go. He's all I have left…"

She shook her head and smiled. "No, hon. Not all. You still have the other Ronins. And you still have me."

The darkness completely faded from his face. "Shara… After all I've done…"

"I forgive you, Rowen. I forgive you…"

He collapsed by her side and cradled her broken body against him. His fingers tenderly stroked her mane of gold. "I'm sorry… I… I don't' know what else I can say… Nothing can make up for all of this… Nothing!"

"It'll be okay." She flashed him a shaky smile. "What's been done can't be undone. But I can be fixed. Sage has his little miracle power remember? So this'll all be remedied and we can put it behind us."

Sage shook his head and chuckled softly. "I'd completely forgotten about my own power. Good thing you didn't." He kneeled beside Rowen and Shara, trying to ignore the fire that began to burn in his chest at the sight of another man's arms around his wife. "Give her to me, Rowen. I'll take care of her from here."

Rowen stared at him, hearing the meaning behind his words. Sage would forgive their past transgressions, but from now on they would have to stay away from one another. He was claiming Shara as his own, and would no longer allow any closeness between the two.

Rowen glanced down at Shara, trying to memorize every feature, trying to summon and tuck all the memories of their past into a corner of his mind. So they'd always be there, even if he couldn't be around her again. No matter what happened, he would always have his memories. She gave him a small smile. He knew she would remember, too. Finally, he raised his eyes to meet Sage's stern gaze.

"No problem, Sage." He gingerly lowered Shara to the floor.

Sage powered down to his subarmor and rubbed his hands together. "Alright, Shar. This might not feel so great this time around. You've got some serious injuries."

"I trust you, Sage. I'm not afraid."

He gently cradled her broken hand between his palms and closed his eyes. The faint glow started in his palms and flowed into her hand. Shara sighed softly, the sweet drowsiness taking over already. This was no different than the last time. The energy Sage was sharing with her was fulfilling, not at all painful. As the green light soaked into her hand her entire arm tingled pleasantly. She felt herself sinking into a peaceful sleep.

Suddenly a shudder shook her entire body. The gentle warmth was gone, replaced by a burning heat. It hurt. Her entire body hurt. From the tips of her toes to the top of her head, the fire spread, lighting every nerve. She bit back a scream, not wanting to alarm Sage or the others, as the dead nerves in her lower body all began to awaken once more. The agony was indescribable. It felt like when your foot begins to wake up after you've sat on it too long, but only a thousand times worse. But, bit by agonizing bit, the pain faded as she became able to control and move her muscles again. After what seemed like an eternity, she opened her eyes.

Sage was looking down at her with worried eyes. "Are you okay, Shar? Your body got all stiff… I was worried something had gone wrong."

She gingerly wiggled her toes and, growing braver, began to work her way up her legs, moving every joint and flexing every muscle. "I… I think I'm alright… But you were right, Sage. That definitely did not feel good." Shara extended her hand to her husband and he helped her try to stand. She wobbled unsteadily for a moment, but soon caught her balance. "But at least it worked."

Rowen stood, a sad expression on his face. "I'm glad you're okay, Shara…"

Her eyes met his and she flashed him a warm grin. "I'm always okay. Nothing can ever stop me."

He bit back a laugh and quickly averted his eyes. "Yeah, well. You never know. Anyway, let's get back to trying to rescue Kenji and Miaka, okay?"

Kayura smiled in her usual grim manner. "Yes, let's. Now that you've got your little situation solved, what are you going to do about your loved ones?"

Ryo shot Rowen a sympathetic glance before turning his attention to the Ancient. "Same thing we planned on doing before Eros showed up. We're going to rush in and kick some butt! Get rid of anyone who tries to stop us from saving Miaka and Kenji! Any objections this time, Queen Shara?" He spoke snidely, but winked to show he was only teasing.

She shook her head. "Nope. No objections from me. Sometimes the direct approach is the only way to go." Shara tapped Sage on the shoulder. "Could you do me a favor and go get my staff and sword from the training hall? If we're going in, I definitely need to be prepared."

He nodded and slipped his arm out from around her waist. "Sure thing, Shar. I'll be right back." Sage slipped out the back door and the Warriors watched him from the window as he jogged toward the large building behind the house.

"Well, I better go fix a quick snack before we leave. Can't eat on an empty stomach," Cye chirped cheerfully. "Come and help me, Kento. And, Ryo, why don't you discuss your plan with us and Lady Kayura while I get things ready?"

"I'd rather just wait here, Cye. I don't have much of a plan, anyway." Ryo leaned against the wall. "And I seriously doubt you want Kento anywhere near food that you're trying to get ready for other people. Not unless you want it eaten too soon.."

Cye kicked his friend in the shin. "It would be a really good idea to clue Kayura and the rest of us in, Ryo." He tipped his head toward Shara and Rowen and gave the fiery Warrior a meaningful look.

"Oh. Oh! Right. Not a problem, Cye. Right behind ya." Ryo quickly followed Cye, Kento, and Kayura into the kitchen.

Shara shook her head and chuckled. "They really need to learn subtlety. Could they have been any more obvious?"

Rowen merely nodded his head.

She frowned and touched his shoulder in concern. "What's the matter, hon?"

He shrugged her off. "Nothing, Shara. I'm just trying to concentrate on what we have to do in a little while. Can't let my mind wander from the battle. This is going to be a very serious fight."

Reaching out once more, she brushed her fingertips across his cheek. "Liar. Most people would buy that explanation, but I know you too well. Something else is bugging you."

Rowen stepped away from her touch, turning his back on her. "Don't touch me. Just… stay away, alright?"

Her eyes widened. He'd never said anything like that before. "What is your problem, Rowen? You're acting really weird. You've never told me to stay away from you before… It's always been quite the opposite."

"Are you really that dense, Shara? Didn't you hear what Sage said?"

She thought back, trying to figure out exactly what he was talking about. "… The only thing he said was that he was worried about me and that he would take care of me."

"Precisely. That's what he said, but he meant something completely different." Rowen shifted his gaze to the ceiling and sighed. "He's going to forgive us for the past. But if anything happens from here on out, he's going to make sure we're very, very sorry. Or at least make sure I am. You're his property now, and I better stay far, far away."

She raised an eyebrow and smiled. "Rowen, Rowen, Rowen… Tell me, when exactly have I ever let anyone tell me how to live my life? If Sage has difficulty with us being friends, that's his problem. I'm not going to let anyone tell me who I can hang around. Not even my own husband. So." Shara crossed the room and wrapped her arms around his waist in a friendly hug. "Lighten up, doll. No matter what Sage says, we're going to stick around each other. Even if we're only friends. Which, honestly, is all we really should be. We both know that." She leaned her head on his shoulder and looked up at his handsome face. "Alright, Rowen?"

He bowed his head, a smile forcing its way onto his face. "Alright, Shara…" Turning to face her, Rowen returned the hug. "We're friends."

She planted a soft kiss on his cheek. "Very good friends. And we that's never gonna change. And you're not gonna let Sage's attitude get to you again, right?"

"Nope. Not a chance." He winked and pulled her close for another hug. "Of course, this ain't gonna be easy. I got used to the secret romance we had going on. Going to be hard to get out of that line of thinking."

She flashed him a mischievous grin. "Well, I'm sure any accidents that happen during the transitional phase will be forgiven…" Shara stood on tiptoe and pressed her lips against his briefly before releasing him from her embrace.

Rowen laughed. "What happened to the guilty wife complex you had going?"

She tilted her head and pretended to think long and hard about his question. "I guess… It flew out the window. 'Cause, you see, I figured something out." Shara leaned in close once more and whispered softly in his ear. "I'm not perfect. And I don't have to be an angel all the time." She moved back, her wicked grin appearing again. "So if we continue to have a little fun every now and again, as long as we're discreet, I don't see what the problem would be."

He leaned against the wall, an amused look on his face. "I can't say that the offer isn't enticing, Shara, but I don't think I can accept. It wouldn't feel right. I mean, sneaking around behind an unsuspecting husband's back is one thing. To sneak around behind the back of a husband who was kind enough to forgive his wife and best friend's indiscretions is another thing entirely. I owe both of you the chance to have a happy marriage, free of my interference."

Shara pouted, an impish gleam in her eyes. "Awww… But that's not fair! I could've had my cake and eaten it, too." She walked over to stand in front of him, her fingers trailing down his arm and down to his thigh. "And the eating is the fun part."

"Mmm… Yeah, it definitely always was…" Rowen tilted her chin up and caught her lips in another kiss. "But that was in our past, Shara. No matter how much fun we had, it's all over now."

"Yep. All over." She placed a hand on the back of his neck, running her lips across his playfully before sinking into a deep, fervent kiss. Rowen's arms found their way around her waist, one hand lightly running under her shirt to caress the skin of her lower back. Her fingers tangled in his thick blue hair, enjoying the feeling of the soft strands surrounding them. His rock-hard armor pressed against her as he painfully crushed her body against his. He must have felt her discomfort, because Rowen quickly powered down and sent his armor away. Now she was able to feel every muscle and the heat of his body through the thin material of his shirt. His heart was pounding rapidly, beating in unison with hers. With each second that passed, the kiss became more intense, more desperate, more passionate. They were in serious danger of being caught, but the thought never crossed either of the pair's minds. They were caught up in the torrent of emotions that had swept them away from the real world, and there was no getting them back.

Shara… Rowen's voice in her mind was more of a moan than anything else. God, I love you. I can't give you up. I can't give up what I feel.

No one's asking you to, silly. Even her thoughts seemed out of breath as their physical bodies continued to kiss and grope. All we need now is to be more careful. And ignore silly things like guilt and doubt. There's no denying our feelings any more, hon. I'm sick of trying.

Shara, I-

Shut up. You've said enough. It's my turn. Rowen. I didn't know it was possible, but I'm completely, absolutely, without a single doubt-

I hate to interrupt.

Shara almost fainted from shock. L-Lady Kayura!

Yes. If you are going to try this foolish mission, I suggest that you two separate quickly. Sage is almost in a position from which he could see you. If he does, the entire mission will be destroyed. Cease your… activities… immediately!

Yes, ma'am… Shara sighed softly and pulled out of Rowen's mind. "Spoilsport."

Rowen dropped one last kiss on the side of her neck before releasing the blonde woman from his embrace. He quickly called for his armor again and crossed the room to stand as far away from her as possible. "There's always another time, Shara. Always more time."

"You better make sure to find the time, boy." She straightened her blouse and sat in one of the chairs of the dining room. Shara glanced out the window just in time to see Sage approach the back door and let himself in.

"Got 'em, sweetie." He walked over to her and placed the long snakewood staff and her slim Chinese sword on the table. "Now all we have to do is get Kayura to open the Gate, and we're off!"

"Yup." She stood and kissed her husband's cheek quickly. "Kayura went into the kitchen to listen to Ryo's plan and maybe help gather some food. Though I doubt they're having much luck with the food, since Kento's in there with them. I can go get her, if you want." Without waiting for a reply, Shara glided into the kitchen to retrieve the foursome.

Rowen looked up at Sage, a tense smile on his face. "Hey. Sage. Look, man… I've gotta know if there's any hard feelings between us."

Sage chuckled darkly. "I'm sure there will be some for quite a while. But I'll get over it, Rowen. What's done is done. No use in freaking out about it, no? As long as you two have come to your senses…"

"We definitely have, Sage. Definitely." He glanced down, hiding a secret smile. Just not the way you would have liked.

"Good. Then we won't have a problem." Sage looked toward the kitchen door as Shara and the others emerged. "Are we all ready to go?"

"Unfortunately, I didn't get to prepare any sort of a snack to have before we depart." Cye smiled affectionately at the orange-clad Ronin. "Kento managed to eat everything I made the moment I took my eye off of it. Guess we'll be fighting on empty stomachs."

"We'll live." Ryo grinned and tapped Kayura on the shoulder. "Well, get that magic of yours working and bring us a Gate! Time to get started."

She nodded and raised her staff, moving it so the golden rings clanged together. "When you rescue Miaka and Kenji, summon me with your minds and I'll bring you all back here. Good luck, Ronins." The Ancient said a few words and a large Gate appeared above Cye's dining room table. "There is your door. Return quickly and safely."

The six friends looked at each other.

"High-fives for good luck?" Shara chirped brightly.

The other five Warriors shrugged.

"Sure." Kento grinned. "Why not?"

Six hands met in mid-air, five armored and one bare white hand.

"Let's do it!" Ryo crowed.

The Ronins stood shoulder-to-shoulder. Kento, Cye, Sage, Shara, Rowen, and Ryo. Comrades. The hope of the earth. Together, united, and strong. They stepped through the Gate and vanished into the darkness.

AN: You know what? I actually thought this was going to be a short chapter. Certainly didn't turn out that way, huh? Anyway. Odd developments, no? Of course, things are guaranteed to get odder. … And, for once, I have absolutely nothing to say. Wow. Guess I better get started on my next chapter. Stay tuned!