Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ True Love ❯ The Answers to Life ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 4: The Answers to Life

The first four periods went slow as usual. Kyoko sat there, thinking over a problem in seventh hour, when the teacher had to go to the bathroom.

"I'll be back in a minute. I best not hear any talking when I walk back or you will be in trouble and sent to the office. Is that clear?" Yukio-sensei questioned with a dirty look from his gray eyes. Every time he stared like that, his gray balding hair seemed to give a glare of something sinister. Kyoko wanted to burst out laughing every time he would do that, because of the things he reminded her of. Even though she was his best student, besides Rowen Hashiba, he was still a little unjust to her. It was like he had prejudice hatred towards teenagers. Hmm, she would never know and she really didn't care to find out either.

Kyoko was on her second to last problem when a shadow covered the light for her to work. She looked up to see Takani and two members of her group, Hitomi Toakeo, and Akemi Rijitin standing over her.

"Yes?" asked Kyoko when she saw the perturbed look on their faces.

"You know exactly what you've done, missy." Hitomi sneered towards Kyoko.

"What I've done?" repeated Kyoko confused. What could she have done to them? All she did was do her work everyday since school started.

"You mean to tell me that you don't have an exact clue to what you have done? Boy, this smarty-pants is not that smart after all." Akemi laughed along with her two friends. The class watched as Akemi and Hitomi crowded her more.

Kyoko didn't know what to say when they came in closer.

"You know, you are nothing to him...He'll never be yours." Takani Misaki jeered in her face.

"W-who? Who won't ever be mine?" Kyoko pondered, anger etched in her eyes, but her voice dampened her anger into fear that elapsed more in her eyes now.

"Duh, you dimwit, don't start being smart with us, you two timing whore!" Takani shouted with anger flaring in her brown eyes.

* Whore? * The words rang out like a knife. * But why would I be a whore when I never had any guys at all? * She shook a little, suppressing her anger, what she should have not done. Kyoko put her head down, "Why am I called a whore? Huh?" Kyoko stuttered with anger now hiding her fear.

Takani snickered when she saw Kyoko put her head down in defeat and saw her start to shake a bit.

"Oh, look girls, she's been had. The truth comes out when all fine and dandy." The other two girls started laughing too.

"If you must know, like you do already, you've been seen talking to my Sagey-poo when he was suppose to come and treat me and my gal-pals and walk us home like his normal routine has been for the past three years."

Kyoko looked up with anger flared in her eyes, causing the three audacious girls to take a step back in astonishment.

"I never did anything with your *man* but talk with him. And all I did was apologize for running into him yesterday." Kyoko stated through clenched teeth.

"But what about this morning, he didn't want me to hug him like I do everyday. And you know what, you're the reason why he didn't because I saw him walk up to you in a heartbeat." Takani fumed with more anger than ever.

"You know, you have a lot of nerve to even come up to me and tell me what I am when you don't even know me. And you're calling the wrong one a whore, because the last time I checked, you were the whore around here, Masaki." Kyoko got up from her seat and glared daggers towards Akemi, Hitomi, and Takani. Takani glared back with all the frustration building up. This was not at all going the way she planned. All of the students in the class were gawking at the brave girl that was standing up for herself. Students that didn't want to get hurt kept their mouths shut when the popular people would tell them something they think they are.

"I don't understand," Kyoko went on, "how you could even think that I would go for someone who you have. I am not like you and take everyone's boyfriend who is popular just to reign over them for as long as you did." Kyoko sighed as she tried to hide her tears of disappointment that were wailing up. "And I don't understand how you three can come up to me and tell me something that is not true." Kyoko glared again at them, casting her eyes down again after a short while.

"Look, you bitch!" Akemi shouted, "We didn't just come here to tell you to back off, we came here to protect Sage from scum like you. We don't want the best of our men frilling off of girls that are disgustingly and lowly like you!"

Kyoko gasped, a tear rolling down her fair skin. Bitch? What the? How could they call her that? How could these girls, who have never even made eye contact with her even know who she was? Kyoko looked up when she felt Takani move in front of Akemi, a slapping sound echoing in the silent classroom. Kyoko looked stunned as her hand went directly to the place where Takani's hand slapped her.

"H-how dare you..." Takani whispered dangerously, "How dare you even call me a whore back when you know what you are when we tell you to be!" Takani glared at her sneering, "If I ever see you with my Sagey-poo again, you will wish you were never born!" Takani smiled fiercely, sending a cold vibration seer through Kyoko's back. It felt like a cold wind blew in the classroom as the bell rang, signaling for the day to end for it was the last class. That was when the teacher came back smiling.

"Now that you're done Takani, you all may go home..."

$$$

Sage sighed as he met up with his friends, trying to figure out a way to avoid clashing with Takani and her group. He was depressed because he just flunked an algebra test that was a major part of his grade for this semester.

He ran his hand through his hair with a longing sigh. No sign of the girls, to his relief, and his friends were waiting for him on time too. All except Kento, he noticed when he walked over.

"Hey guys, where's Kento?" Sage asked with a little bit of worry. "And where is Mia."

"Oh, he went home with Maia Grey and Mia is at Shinsha University, applying for next year. You know that she is graduating this year." Ryo informed as he switched his backpack to his other shoulder. Sage nodded at the second part but wondered at the first.

"Who's Maia?"

"Uh, I have no idea." Ryo muttered, walking ahead of the group. Sage looked at Cye curiously.

"Do you know her?" asked Sage, getting everybody's attention towards Cye.

Cye's cheeks went pink as he shrugged, "I guess you can say she's an old friend of me and Kento's. When we were growing up in Yokohama together, she moved in the neighborhood and we became fast friends. She is a year older than we are, but she is very smart. When the dynasty attacked three years ago, we had to leave and as we left, her family moved to Toyama too. Last I heard, she lives in the rich quarters of town and goes to a private high school. She tutors for money for experience at a job."

Cye's friends nodded their head in appraise as they all walked around the corner of the building, the school leaving their sight within a few minutes. Sage was the first one around the corner when he wasn't paying attention and he felt someone run into him hard, falling back.

&&&

Kyoko ran out of the school building, tears blinding her vision. She had to get out of that horrid place, she had to get away from those horrid people. She didn't dare look back or even up in that matter when she hit someone hard, causing them to fall back. She too fell back from the excursion, all of her books flying out of her hardly zipped booksack. She yelped when her backside hit the ground hard.

"Grr, watch where you're going!" she heard a voice shout, causing her to look up with her tear stricken face. Kyoko gasped when she saw whom she bumped into...again.

"Sage?"

&&&

"Sage?" he heard a shaky voice ask, as the guys went to his aide and helped him up. He looked up from his daze and saw the books scattered around a familiar girl. It began to sink in as he looked at her face, which belonged to Kyoko.

"Kyoko?"

"I'm sorry again, but it seems this is the second time we bump into each other."

"Yeah, it is." Sage helped Kyoko up and started picking up books for her. The guys all did the same thing.

"It's okay, you don't have to help." Kyoko said, trying to make sure they didn't see the tears falling down as she picked up the books and took some from them. Little did she know, they saw the anonymous pain in her face and tears streak down her face.

"Are you okay? What happened?" Rowen inquired, pointing to her face, where the big red mark was partially covered with her hair.

Kyoko shrugged as she took the last book from Sage, then turning away as fast as she could. She didn't want any of them to take pity on her for crying. "Thank you for getting my books, Date-san. Now if you'll excuse me."

"Wait!" Sage shouted, grabbing her hand, making her look at him. He didn't know why he just did that and let go of her arm. "Uh, Kyoko, I was wondering if you would help me with something after school sometime. I need help with algebra II."

Kyoko looked a little uneasy as she noticed his friends looking at them with curious eyes. She wiped away the remaining tears away, glad that they didn't press the matter any longer.

"Uh, I don't know. I'm rather busy after schools. Don't you have Rowen to help you with it?"

Sage bit his lip. He did have Rowen, but something inspired him to go after her, something that tingled inside when he first saw her face. "Yeah, I know," he pressed on, "But he too is busy. I was just wondering if you could, this weekend by chance help me."

Kyoko groaned...this was not easy just to get him off her back. "I'm sorry." She said as she turned around, making sure that she didn't cry again. She felt like she wasn't and smiled to herself. Why? She just couldn't find the answer to that question. She walked another corner, leaving the four boys to wonder in her tracks.

"What a rude girl," Ryo commented as he watched her leave around the corner.

"Eh, she might have her reasons for being that way." Cye said as they started walking again.

"Why do you say that?" Rowan questioned intrigued by what Cye had just said.

"Um, nothing." Cye murmured, "But I do feel for her at times. She's that person who studies instead of trying and worrying about how to make friends. Besides, she's always being hassled by your fan club, Sage."

Sage smoothed his hair as he stared down with an array of thoughts flying through his mind. His thoughts were mangled out of his head as he stepped on something thick. He looked down and frowned. What was a literature book doing here?

He opened the book to see the name and saw that it belonged to Kyoko. It must have fallen out when they both bumped into each other and someone must have kicked it over. He smiled as a thought came into mind.

"Sage, buddy? Why are you back here?" Rowen inquired as he walked back a few paces to see what was holding up his friend.

Sage looked up, the same smile plastered on his face. Rowen looked questionably at him and pointed at the book.

As of an answer to his question, Sage got up and walked off in another direction, clamping the book under his right shoulder.

"Sage! Where ya goin!?"

"I gotta give this back to someone. I'll be at my house around five."

"What about practice?" Rowen shouted again, "You're dad is going to get furious."

"I know, but I'll tell him I had to go study at a friend's house." Sage smirked and turned around, leaving a stunned Rowen in the middle of the street.

***

"So, you're telling me that the square root of seven is four!" Kento bellowed with aggravation once more at his tutor he met with after school.

"No, dimwit!" the tutor fumed, "Seven has no square root. It's a prime number."

"Aw man, you're confusing me."

The tutor closed the book and stared angrily at Kento as he stuffed his face with food.

"You know what, Faun-san, you're only confusing yourself because half the time you don't listen and mellow out. I don't understand how those teachers can take you, much less even look at you." The girl flipped her smooth black hair out of her face as she cautiously got up. "Now if you don't mind, I've got some work to do at home. I must get going in order to make sure Midori, Kenji, and Kasai get their homework done as well."

"Who are those people you just mentioned?" Kento asked incredulously.

"Ken-san, their my little sisters and brother. What did you think they were, my kids" The girl said with a laugh, her bright brown eyes glittering in the sun that poured through the windowpane of the living room where they were situated.

"Oh, not really, heh" Kento moved closer to his tutor, "Grey-san, have you and your boyfriend broken up yet."

Grey-san looked down, "No," She looked back up to see the worry in Kento's eyes.

"Why? Maia, the guy treats you like shit!" Kento fumed.

"Don't talk like that about him. He's currently upset over financial trouble that's all. He's just being a jerk right now, but he'll get better."

"What better?" Kento asked, walking up to Maia, who turned around with tears in her eyes. "Hasn't he cheated on you before and slept with other girls...not to mention almost making you feel like you're not worth anything. And he got one pregnant, not to mention lied to you about it."

"Kento! Shut up already!" Maia turned around, glaring at him with hatred but yet sadness. Kento stepped back. After all the years he knew her and wanted nothing more than to be her boyfriend, she always went back to that backstabbing idiot of a boyfriend. Maia Grey was one of the most pristine girl he knew, unlike the airheads he knew at school. He was happy he had met her again after three years and was stunned that she was living with her four-year boyfriend.

It was strange to him to see such an unworthy scum like her boyfriend get someone like Maia. But he knew that she loved him, how he didn't know. It hurt him terribly when he saw that she would get beat by him and she still never left him even after all the incidents of having affairs with women and getting one pregnant too. Maia never saw that and was always a very forgiving person. She was very beautiful with her strapping personality and astounding brown eyes.

"Kento?" Maia asked, getting him out of deep thought.

"Hmm," Kento blinked a few times, getting back to the present.

"We're finished with this session. Tomorrow, I'll be back at the same time, don't be late like today."

Kento scowled, "It wasn't my fault I got detention."

"Well, now whose was it?" Maia smirked, "Don't tell me quiet old Cye could have made you get detention."

"Eh, no..." Kento looked defeated. "But oh well, I'll try not to get detention for her majesty."

Maia rolled her eyes as she went towards the door after packing up all her books. She turned around and kissed Kento on the cheek, stunning him and her. "Uh," she faltered to say anymore as she quickly turned around and walked out the door, leaving a stunned Kento watching her form leave. He had a smile on his face as he closed the door...