Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Two Swords: The Tangled Web ❯ An Old Enemy Returns ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Woohoo! Another short chapter!

inuyasha lover: It's said Kilala. It's spelled, at least according to the manga and the Viz DVD subtitles, Kirara. rara rara rara rara.

Kyia Star: I have only read to manga 15. But I have seen all the way up to episode 91 of the Inuyasha anime. I also have only seen to the middle of the Kyoto arc in Rurouni Kenshin and the whole OVA series. I would say that's about where it is. After those. I can't be held responsible for things I haven't seen. Sorry if I mess up.

Harm Marie: We all want to know what I'm planning. Even me. Just kidding, I have an ending all ready. I just need to figure out how to get there.

Boy that was a lot of review responses. Onward to the disclaimer!

Disclaimer: They don't belong to me! Onward to the story!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Kagome looked at the doorway of the little room where she and Kaoru were being held in disbelief. The figure that had walked through the door had just revealed herself in the dim light. In front of them stood an old hag. Her gray hair was pulled back, and there was a smile on her wrinkled face. This made a chill run up Kagome's spine. She knew this woman. She haunted her dreams at night. She was the reason for most of the problems between her and Inuyasha. This woman was the one who brought Kikyo back. She had used bones and dirt to revive her. She had tried to steal Kagome's soul. Inuyasha being in danger had brought it back to her body though, leaving only hatred in Kikyo. But Kagome never really harbored ill feelings toward the old witch. She never had time. She had watched as her skin burned away and her body faded to dust. She was an afterthought. A prelude to her nightmares about Kikyo. Yet, this same woman now stood before her. How could this be possible?

"But I watched you die." Kaoru snapped her head up at that. She had seen Kagome pale when this woman's features came into view, but she hadn't been sure why. Now it was clear.

"I came back. Naraku resurrected me with my books and this shard. He said I could be useful." The shard in her back glittered to Kagome's eyes. Why would Naraku do such a thing? What use was Urasue really? Then both Kagome and Kaoru felt the heavy weight of evil enter the room. They knew it was Naraku without looking. Only his presence could make them feel like that.

"What is it that you wanted to tell me, Urasue?" She turned expectantly toward him.

"I have found something about these two that I thought was impossible. Lord Naraku, they share the same soul."

"What?" He was shrouded in darkness so no one saw the stunned expression on his face.

"They are two separate souls, but they are identical. I know it. Both of these women were once Kikyo."

"But that cannot be. They must be different." Naraku thought the old hag was full of hot air. The rules of time and space made it so a soul could only exist by itself. There were no duplicate reincarnations.

"I thought so too, but they are exact. I promise you this. I swear it." Naraku stared at the two bound women on the floor. They looked so similar. So like Kikyo as well. He had to trust the old hag. It was not possible for a demon to exist by taking in other demons, but there he stood. Urasue had dealt with souls her whole life. If any one knew about them, it was her.

"Then continue with our plan. Take both of their souls."

Yahiko stared over the campfire at the two sleeping figures. They had been traveling all day trying to find Kaoru and Kagome. Long after night fell, Hatchi got too tired to keep going and had demanded they rest. The tanuki was now sleeping behind him, snoring softly, along with Sanosuke, Sango and Miroku. Shippo was cuddled next to him. The two beyond the fire were the two who had argued most when Hatchi wanted to stop. Inuyasha could still smell Naraku and wanted to continue. Kenshin had agreed, but by then they were landed and their ride was fast asleep. Yahiko watched them in awe. They were prepared for battle even while they slumbered. The slept sitting Indian style, leaning over their swords. They seemed to be that way only because their bodies insisted upon it. Their minds and hearts wanted to be moving, continuing with their journey. It was obviously a dreamless sleep that could be broken at any moment. And they were the exact same way. Yahiko had seen Kenshin sleep that way before. It was not often, but he had seen it. Shippo stirred lightly at his side. Yahiko looked down at him. He felt bad, but he really needed to ask him a question.

"Shippo, are you awake?"

"I am now. What do you want?"

"Does Inuyasha always sleep that way?" Shippo thought that was a very strange question to ask.

"I've never seen him sleep any other way unless he was in the trees." Yahiko looked back at the men who now were looking back at him.

"You need to be sleeping if you are to be of any help to us in finding Miss Kaoru, Yahiko." Kenshin's voice was quiet. It could barely be heard. Inuyasha's however was not.

"So, shut up and sleep!" Yahiko winced as the angry hanyou glared at him.

"Kenshin, can I ask you something first?"

"What is it?"

"Why do you sleep that way?" Kenshin looked at him confused.

"I was taught to by the Hiten Mitsurugi style, that I was. It keeps your body ready to battle at any moment. Lying like that big oaf Sano leaves you vulnerable for attack."

"Oh. I was just wondering."

"That's fine. Now sleep. We have a lot to do in the morning, that we do."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: I hope that explains it. I wanted a villain with Naraku who could sense and extract souls. I didn't want to create a new one because original characters take too long to develop in a story with a well-established cast. So I brought her back to life. Hooray for me! I want to write more, but I am just too darn tired. It's one o'clock in the AM. Tomorrow will bring more. Always tomorrow. Please review!