Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Love Reincarnate ❯ Attack Of The Brain Elves ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Love Reincarnate
A Rurouni Kenshin Alternate Universe Fic
By: Serenity-chan

Chapter 3:
Attack Of The Brain Elves

Souzou shut the door of the tiny practice room behind him, his head spinning with the thoughts taking over him. The one particular drawing stood out in his mind, making his body think of things his mind knew he shouldn't be. It was a detailed sketch of that same man and woman, in the throes of lovemaking. Nothing in particular was revealed to the eyes that shouldn't have been, but it was still obvious what they were doing.

More touching than the act itself were their appearances. While the woman's face was turned away as her head tossed in bliss, the man seemed torn between heaven and heartbreak. Souzou's mind was jerked back to his dream. He remembered always waking up feeling cold and alone, like something terrible was about to happen. Was this really THE Souzou Sagara? Was this woman his lover? His wife? Souzou realized that this must be their last night together.

"Oh my God..." whispered Souzou. "Does that mean Midori is...?"

He trailed off and a barrage of inner voices jumped on him.

"Would you think with the right head for once!?" Masculine Annoyance grouched.

"He doesn't have enough blood supply to run both at the same time..." snickered Typical Guy Perversion.

'Shut up,' Souzou ordered his inner voices.

"No way!" quipped Dreamy. "You really need to think about this! What if you and that Midori girl were meant to be!?"

"Oh for Crissakes!" groaned Harsh Realism. "You JUST met her and now you're just letting your imagination run wild."

Imagination was dancing around like a dervish, spiral-eyed and giggling insanely.

"I thought Sensibility had that idiot tied up!" hollered Harsh Realism, pointing at Imagination - still dancing and giggling, this time with a rose between his teeth.

"I told the lot of you to SHUT UP!" yelled Souzou, thwacking himself with a music book.

"Sagara-san, what are you doing!?" demanded his instructor - the reason he had come to this particular school - his old friend, Mr. Furuhata.

Souzou paled. Oh great! Now his teacher probably thought he had problems. Mr. Furuhata shook his head and leaned his head on his hand.

"Nothing, Furuhata-sensei," answered Souzou, scratching the back of his head nervously.

"Then what's this?" asked Mr. Furuhata, eyeing Midori's drawing.

Souzou quickly flipped the book shut, blushing furiously.

"Honestly, Sagara-san," Mr. Furuhata reproached him. "Be serious about this, would you?"

"But---" Souzou tried to protest, but it was too late.

The door shut again and Souzou was left alone with his embarrassment.

"Man, he sure got us that time," groaned Embarrassment.

"Shut up," ordered Souzou, kicking the recalcitrant door shut as it swung open again.

He glared at the piano, as if it were the instrument's fault he had just been misjudged by his teacher.

"You know, it's not the piano's fault you made a fool of yourself," quipped Harsh Realism.

Souzou smacked himself in the head again and yelped in pain. That was the problem with inner voices. There was no way to do them bodily harm without harming yourself. He just grumbled a colorful string of curses and sat down at the piano, leaning on the key cover. There was no way he could get any practicing done today.

"You know, the only way to find out more about this whole sticky situation is to get closer to Midori," Harebrained Schemer told him. "Try asking her out."

"We just met, moron!" retorted Souzou. "I don't want her to think I'm too forward."

"I think she likes you," Romantic offered timidly.

"Do you have any idea how middle-school that sounded?" demanded Souzou, glaring fiercely at his inner voices.

That was exactly how Midori found him - sitting in an open practice room, arguing rather animatedly with himself.

"Sagara-san?" she asked, a little intimidated.

Souzou fell silent and felt his cheeks heating up.

"Hi..." he offered weakly.

"My class was cancelled," Midori told him. "Akino-sensei's water broke during lunch."

"Huh?" asked Souzou, totally clueless.

Midori shook her head and muttered something along the lines of "Men are so clueless..."

"She's having a baby!" Midori sighed exasperatedly. "Her third one actually."

"Oh..." said Souzou, still with only a minuscle cue as to what was going on.

"Anyway, Nanaka's busy with her set design class, so I've got nothing to do and nowhere to go," complained Midori, though she kept her tone light.

"So you came and found me. I see how it is," Souzou teased, ignoring the fact that he had no idea who Nanaka was.

Midori blushed and set her bags down. Souzou really was cute when he teased like that, especially with that hint of a blush still staining his cheeks. For some reason, she felt the desire to kiss his cheek, just to see what he would do. Her inner voices jumped at the thought.

"Woohoo! You go girl!" screeched Feminine Wiles - who sounded oddly like Tomo Takino from Azumanga Daioh - , waving flags around. "Woowoowoooooo!"

"Rein it in there, cowgirl," warned Modesty, in a hint of a Southern belle accent. "Guys don't go for pushy girls unless they're in the red-light district."

"That wasn't a very modest thing to say," remarked Midori.

"I was joking!" protested Souzou.

It was Midori's turn to blush as she realized she was talking out loud to herself. Souzou smiled bemusedly at her as he practically read her thoughts. The frustrated look on her face was cute, especially the way her cheeks flushed and she bit her lower lip. His inner voices attacked him again.

"I'd say that's beyond cute," commented Dreamy. "She doesn't even know that she's beautiful... like an angel..."

Dreamy and Romantic swooned melodramatically, clutching roses in their little chibi-hands.

"Ugh..." grumped Cynicism. "She acts like a little girl."

"But that's what's cute about her!" protested Romantic, suddenly snapping to.

"Hey man, I bet YOU'd LOVE to be the one who wiped that innocent little smile off her pretty face," growled Sex Drive. "And we ARE all alone in here... Nobody would hear..."

Typical Guy Perversion snickered his agreement and the two sat in a corner, plotting their conquest. Romantic and Dreamy were giggling like schoolgirls in another corner. This continued until Harsh Realism stepped in again. TGP, Sex Drive, Dreamy and Romantic all cowered in front of Harsh Realism, clutching their boot-marked rear ends.

"Shut up. All of you," ordered Harsh Realism.

"Sagara-san?" asked Midori. "Sagara-san!"

"Huh!?" asked Souzou, a little dazedly.

"I said the bell just rang! We have figure drawing!" shrieked Midori, making Souzou wince for the sake of his eardrums in the tiny room. "I asked if you wanted to walk with me!"

Souzou blinked as if he hadn't heard her correctly, but nodded affirmatively.

"Then come on!" shrilled Midori. "I am NOT going to be late for my first day as a co-instructor!"

She grabbed Souzou's arm and set off at a frantic pace, snatching up her bags.

She didn't notice that she had grabbed a bag that wasn't hers.