Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Love Hina Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Disaster? ❯ Snow ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disaster?
A Rurouni Kenshin Self-Insertion Fic
By: Serenity-chan

Chapter 5
Snow


Kenshin had not said very much after his fight with Saitoh. He seemed to be very deep in thought about something. Then he suddenly turned to Ashley and scrutinized her. She had on a denim skirt, a pink and yellow tank top,a white short sleeved jacket, and pink flip flops. This seemed to be very strange clothing to have on in the middle of winter.

"Um aren't you cold wearing those clothes in the middle of winter?" he asked her.

"Actually it's summer right now where I am from. So it's really hot there," Ashley said.

But Kenshin noticed that she was covered with goosebumps. He took his extra gi, hakama, and tabi socks out.

"Here put these on over your clothes and put these socks on," he told her. You'll freeze to death if you don't."

Ashley put on the hakama and the tabi socks while Kenshin wrapped the gi around her shoulders.

"There you go. Good as new," Kenshin said, mimicking her words that she had said after she patched him up after his fight with Saito.

"Thank you," Ashley said quietly.

Kenshin sensed that Ashley seemed preoccuoied about something.

"What's the matter?" he asked in the most serious voice he could muster when his heart was brimming with emotion.

"Well I was just thinking about Nicole's parents," answered Ashley. "I hope they don't worry. Ever since my parents died, I've decided to live with them."

Kenshin stared.

"I'm so sorry," he said quietly. "What happened?"

Ashley sighed and tears began to fall down her cheeks. Kenshin unconsiously wiped them away.

"Well, my dad died three months ago because he got a serious infection. I was so depressed. But I thought that I would always have my mama," started Ashley. "But then out of the blue, the day before my sixteenth birthday about three weeks ago, my mom had a heart attack. It was such a shock because she was perfectly healthy. Dad was too. They were my best friends, and I really don't know how to live without them. I loved them more than anyone. I still can't believe I lost the two most important people in my life within three months of each other."

Ashley went quiet.

Kenshin was stunned. So she had lost both parents too. He knew that there had been a sadness in the girl's eyes, but he had't known why until now.

"I know how you feel. I lost both of my parents from cholera when I was seven," he told her. "If Hiko hadn't found me, I probably would have been killed."

"I felt very sad when I saw in the anime that you lost your parents at such a young age," said Ashley. "But I didn't think I'd ever have to go through this."

Kenshin pondered how she knew he had lost his parents, but he didn't say anything. He was to busy listening to what she was saying. The two seemed to be understanding each other. They seemed to be connecting. They could understand each other's pain.

"If it weren't for Nicole, I don't know what I would do," said Ashley. "She's really been there for me."

"It's very good to have someone you can talk to," responded Kenshin, nodding. "That experience makes you feel very lonely. Your parents are the ones you go to when you need someone to talk to. You can never replace them, but it seems that you have a good friend to help you through this. I really know how you feel."

Then Kenshin silently slipped his hand into Ashley's and the two walked on in silence for a while. Ashley looked into Kenshin's eyes and blushed. She couldn't believe Kenshin was holding her hand!!! Kenshin too was stunned, but he didn't let go. He loved Ashley, he really did. And he really hoped he could bring some happiness back into her life. Ashley squeezed Kenshin's hand. It seemed that she felt the same way he did.

"Oh look, snow!!" she squealed. "We hardly ever get snow in Georgia."

Ashley let go of Kenshin's hand, picked up some snow and threw it at him. He gave her a very bewildered look and then burst into hysterical laughter. He then picked up a snowball and threw it at Ashley. A raging snowball fight began. Ashley and Kenshin were frantically throwing ice cold snowballs at each other. Ashley's long dark blond ponytail was flying. Strands had fallen out of Kenshin's high ponytail. And he was laughing. He was laughing as if he were a little boy again.

The real Kenshin was emerging from the manslayer. The Kenshin that Ashley knew, the wanderer, was emerging from the Battousai. Both of the teenagers were cold and wet as they collapsed against a tree. Their cheeks were red and patchy from the cold, and they were laughing hysterically.

"I haven't done anything like that in a very long time," Kenshin said as they caught their breath.

Ashley noticed that his eyes had gone from the amber of the Battousai to the violet of the Rurouni. But there was still such a sad look in them. Well, she had still made some difference. Perhaps eventually she could change them completely. She really wanted Kenshin to be happy. She really loved him. The stars sparkled overhead in the dark sky. They seemed to be twinkling down upon the two.

Night had fallen as they had been having their snowball fight. Ashley's brown eyes flickered sleepily. She unconsciously leaned her head on Kenshin's shoulder and fell asleep. Kenshin didn't have the heart to move her, but then again he didn't really want to.

"Good night Ashley," he said as he to fell sleep under the stars.