Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Come What May ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Come What May--A Sailor Moon/Rurouni Kenshin Crossover Fanfiction

DISCLAIMER: Characters do not belong to me; they belong to Takeuchi Naoko-sama and Nobuhiro Watsuki-sama (Aren't those two just wonderful).

*I'm setting this story in the Sailor Moon anime continuity, one year after the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Season. Usagi and the Inner Senshi are 17 year olds and Mamoru is 23 years old. There are references to events that happen in the Sailor Moon anime and I give notes on them at the end of the chapter if you are confused. For the Rurouni Kenshin part of the story, I am using the anime up till the "Kyoto arc" and then I switch to the manga for the "Revenge arc". Explanations of the RK events are also explained at the bottom. If you don't know much about Sailor Moon or Rurouni Kenshin, be prepared for some spoilage.*

Chapter 2

By: Hime

Updates at mailto:himes_fanfiction-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

~*~*~*~

"Some love lasts a lifetime. True love lasts forever."

-Unknown

~*~*~*~

She was remembering her past again. Usagi couldn't tell how she knew; she just did. She could feel the cool wooden floors of the dojo and feel the length of wood in her callused grip. From the coolness in the air, it was morning. She could hear people talking together but nothing they said came out clearly. It was as if she was hearing their voices off an old recording, their tinny voices coming in and out. When Usagi looked at the voices owners, their image was blurry and almost indistinguishable except for the flashes she saw of them when she looked out from the corner of her eyes. Black hair elegantly tossed behind a shoulder before being tucked behind an ear. A big, strong hand wrapped in white bandages that became dirty within a couple of hours. Brown determined eyes, a quick smile, and even quicker hands. The only one Usagi could see and hear clearly, was him. His soft red hair, tied back with twine. The innocent purple gaze that hid his guilt and torment; the maddening grin he wore that skillfully hid his pain. He was the one that she had lived for. And eventually, she was the one he lived for.

And as she mused, the scene changed. Usagi found herself in a dark grove with him, fireflies dancing around the edges of her sight. Usagi felt her stomach clench in pain. It was that memory again; the memory in which he left her. 'Left me.' Usagi watched out of eyes that were not hers, yet was. He stepped forward and embraced her, squeezing so tightly for one moment she couldn't catch her breath. Usagi could feel tears welling up and slipping down her face.

"Sessha wa rurouni desu."

"Sayonara."

~*~*~*~

"Ken…shin." Usagi moaned in her sleep, her tears soaking her pillow. Luna had never heard such pain in her charge's voice since that time the Dark Kingdom had kidnapped Mamoru-san. Then as suddenly as the crying had started, it stopped. Usagi quieted down and stopped her tossing, which was what had awoken Luna up in the first place.

'What was Usagi dreaming about?' Luna asked herself. 'And who or what is Kenshin.'

~*~*~*~

Usagi woke up with her face damp. Sticking her tongue out in disgust, she wiped her face with the sleeve of her pajama top. At first, she thought that she had been drooling, but then she remembered her dream last night and realized her pillow was wet with her tears. Usagi sat up thinking about it. 'When Kenshin left me-no, when Kenshin left her, Kaoru reacted the same way as I did when Mamo-chan was taken away from me by Kunzite.' Usagi hit herself on the top of her head. 'Baka! Of course she and I would act the same, we are the same person after all.'

A black form landed on the bed. "You're up. I was just about to wake you." Luna looked closely at Usagi.

"What?" Usagi grew nervous under her guardian's stare.

"Usagi." A pause. "Who's Ken-"

"Usagi! Breakfast!"

Usagi quickly jumped out of bed and was out the door before Luna could finish her question. 'Saved by food.' Usagi thought to herself. She made her way down the steps and sat herself at the dining room table.

"You're not dressed yet? Usagi…" her mother looked at her.

Usagi gave her a bright smile and said, "Well at least I'm up on time for once, ne?"

Her mother smiled at her. "Well I guess I should take what I can get. How many pancakes do you want?"

~*~*~*~

"Wow Usagi, you actually made it to school on time!"

"Hmph. Like you should talk Minako-chan!"

"Heehee, well you know what they say, 'Birds of a feather flock together.'" At everyone's stare, Minako cried out, "What did I say wrong this time?"

"Actually you said the saying correctly,' Makoto said as she shook her head slowly.

"Yes! I finally said a saying right!"

"But it doesn't make sense." Makoto finished.

"Hun?"

"What you said doesn't apply to the situation." Ami said with a soft smile.

"So even when I say the it right, I screw up?"

"I guess so."

"That blows!"

"Well at least you got that saying right!"

~*~*~*~

"Sigh. Its such a great afternoon and we have to go to Rei's for a study group session." Moped Minako.

"Well it is for our benefit." Ami said as she walked out of the classroom.

"I'm with Minako-chan! Let's ditch and go to the shopping district!" Makoto and Minako huddled together as if making secret plans. As Usagi closed in on the two, she could hear Minako whispering, "I can't use the funeral excuse anymore! My family will be entirely wiped out!" Usagi giggled.

"Actually Rei-chan had to cancel this afternoon's session. Didn't she call you guys last night? She said something about an emergency meeting of the cultural festival at her school." Rei, now a senior like the other inner Senshi, was head chairperson of the T*A Private School annual cultural festival. "Rei said that this year's festival was going to be themed on how Japan is viewed through the media. You know, like movies, mangas, television, and music. We should go!"

"Have you noticed every time we go to some festival that Rei-chan helped to organize, there's trouble?" Minako asked conspiratorially.

"Hun?"

"She's talking about that time in 8th grade when Ail and Ann attacked during Rei-chan's singing debut." Ami said.

"And the time when the taiko drummer was attacked for her pure heart." Makoto interjected. "Now that you mention it…she does seem like bad luck, ne?"

"Don't let her hear you say that, Mako-chan. Then she'll really explode!" Minako giggled at the image in her head. "Anyway, now that we're free, let's go shopping!"

"Ah-hem." Everyone turned to look at Ami who wore a stern expression on her face. "Just because we can't study at Rei-chan's doesn't mean we can't study somewhere else."

"Oh come on Ami-chan! We've been studying everyday after school and even on Sunday! We deserve a little break." Minako wheedled. When Ami's expression didn't change, Minako changed her tactics. "Okay, then we'll study. But why not study at the Crown? They have booths and good lighting. And we could get something to eat there to fuel our brains."

"Wow, Minako-chan's pretty good." Makoto whispered into Usagi's ear. Usagi nodded in agreement. A few minutes later, the four were on their way to the café. "Ami-chan's incredibly smart, but Minako-chan's incredibly sly. Minako will make a great pop idol someday." Once more, Usagi nodded her head in agreement.

~*~*~*~

Of course they didn't study. Well at least not much. There was more talk about the latest pop band then there was about their Japanese Literature homework. But still, under Ami's tutelage, the four managed to complete most of their homework if not all.

"Yihehe!" Usagi trilled as she skipped out the coffee shop. "Mamo-chan should be finished with his lesson soon." Mamoru worked at a local dojo, teaching a small class on the basics of kendo. This job had several benefits for him. First, it was scheduled in the late afternoon so he could go to school during the day and intern at the hospital during the night. Second, it helped to keep him in shape, just in case of a new enemy. And third, he got a chance to take any other class taught there in the dojo for free. Not that he had much of a chance to attend any of the other classes, but when he did, he enjoyed himself.

Usagi made her way to the dojo and noticed a group of younger men and boys huddled together whispering, blocking the doors. Even at seventeen, Usagi was still short and had a hard time seeing over some of the gathering's heads. She started to jump up and down in an effort to see what had gotten them all so excited. As soon as she saw the scene inside the dojo, she began to jump up and down foe another reason entirely.

"Go Mamo-chan, go!" she cried out as loud as possible. At the sound of her voice, Mamoru lost his focus and looked for her in the crowd. His opponent seeing this used the moment to attack. Amour quickly shifted his attention back to his opponent and blocked the strike.

"Shut-up you stupid girl! Do you want Chiba-sensei to lose!"

Usagi stopped bouncing. That voice sounded way to familiar. She looked to her right and saw the spiky haired boy she had helped out the other day staring intently at the fight going on in front of him.

"You?!" Usagi said.

At her response, the boy looked up at her and with some surprise. "Ah, rabbit girl!" He blushed. "Sorry, I didn't know it was you."

"Rabbit girl?"

"For your hair style."

Usagi thought about it. The name was better then being called 'Odango'. "Actually, my name is Usagi." She said with a grin.

He grinned back at her. "You can call me Yaruki." At a loud cheer, the two looked back toward the match. It looked like Mamoru had won, judging by the crowd surrounding him. Immediately, someone else challenged him again. His eyes sought out Usagi's and she nodded her okay.

"So you're Chiba-sensei's girlfriend?"

"Un." said with a satisfied nod.

"Well I figured you couldn't be here for the class." He shrugged and propped his bokken on his right shoulder. He wanted to make sure she would see it so she would know that he was a kendo student just like her boyfriend. That would surely impress her just like it impressed that new girl, Shizuka-chan, at school.

"Why couldn't I be here for a lesson?" Usagi asked.

"Because you're a girl and girls can't fight."

Without thought, Usagi grabbed Yaruki's wooden practice sword and gave him a solid whack on the head.

"What the hell did you do that for?" he yelled at her, grabbing his wooden sword away from her with one hand and clutching the lump on his head with the other.

"Girls can fight! What about the Sailor Senshi?"

"That's different. And anyway, they fight with magic and not with a sword or with their fists." He sneered and brandished his bokken at her.

Usagi's palms itched to grab the piece of wood and smack him his head once more. Instead she looked around and picked up a discarded shinai. "I challenge you, you little brat." Usagi pointed at Yaruki with her sword. When he laughed, Usagi saw red and aimed for his head with two-hand strike.

"Hun?" he's eyes widened as he blocked her blow. 'That was good, solid form. Did she know kendo?'

Usagi brought back her shinai and began to whirl it between her hands like a baton before whipping it around for a strike toward his right side. Yaruki jumped aside, barely escaping the blow and felt the rush of displaced air. 'Dammit, that would have hurt!' Yaruki made a swipe toward her right shoulder. Usagi ducked and poked him in the stomach, air rushing out of him with a 'woof'. She gave him a superior smile and took off running around the corner.

Usagi was enjoying herself. Yaruki reminded her of Shingo. She looked back to find Yaruki a couple of yards behind her. Her smile grew larger and she called out to him, "Come on and get me, Yaruki-chan!" Because she wasn't looking, she ran smack into someone's chest and went down. Hard.

Yaruki caught up to her collapsed form and raised his bokken for an overhead strike, when it was yanked from his hands. He looked up to complain but instead looked sheepish when he saw who it was.

"Yaruki, how many times do I have to tell you not to go and pick any fights?"

On the ground, Usagi's eyes opened wide with shock. 'That voice,' she trembled, 'that voice was the one from my dreams.' She slowly looked up, her eyes traveling over the man's slight form. He was dressed in a fitted blue business suit, his dusky red hair tied back with a string of black leather. He was talking to Yaruki, 'His father.' Her mind supplied. His cheeks were smooth, without a scar to mar their surface. But his eyes, a warm violet, were the detail that decided it for her. Usagi opened her mouth and out came one word.

"Ken…shin."

~*~*~*~

"Yaruki, how many times do I have to tell you not to go and pick any fights?"

"But Dad! She attacked me first!"

Kohakume Ryu smiled at his son before asking, "What did you say before she attacked you?" His son looked away and Ryu chuckled. Ryu turned his attention to the girl who was now sitting up. He turned to her with an apologetic smile on his face. Her school uniform had a bit of dirt on the skirt and on the white blouse. Her blonde hair, twisted up in an unusual style looked fine, not a pin out of place.

"Ken…shin."

Ryu's back stiffened. Did he know this girl from back then? His eyes took in her appearance again, the details he skipped over before, registered precise in his mind. 'Local high school uniform, Juuban. Age around fifteen years old. No visible scars or tattoo's to identify her. Short,' his mind measured her limb's, even though she sat on the ground, '5'0" tall, about 110lbs.' He went through his memory. 'No, I don't know her. How does she know me?' Ryu bent his head toward the girl and gave her an innocent smile, unconscious of the fact that it looked exactly like the smile of a certain Rurouni would give. She was looking at his cheek, staring at it hard. He had the urge to look into a mirror to see just what was she staring at. Then she turned to look straight into his eye and it was Ryu's turn to stare. Her eyes were the color of the sky, a pure brilliant blue; pure as the soul that existed there. Those eyes were the same even if the face they now resided in was not. Ryu's mouth open and out came one word.

"Kaoru."

~*~*~*~

Side Notes:

Cultural Festival: This is more of note, rather then a glossary term. In Japan, school students put together a fair and invite people from the community to attend. Clubs, sport's teams, and individual classrooms participate and put up food booths or games. Clubs/Sport's Teams can fundraise like that and these booths become something of a competition between organizations to see who did the most business. You've seen cultural festivals like this in such other anime's like Card Captor Sakura, Lum Urusai, Kareshi no Kanojijou, and Kaitou Saint Tail. In Sailor Moon, the anime showed two cultural festivals, the one in the R Season and the one in the Sailor Stars series

Juuban: Literally means "10" or "number 10", this is the district in Tokyo that Usagi and the others live in. The high school that Usagi goes to is named after the district also.

Odango: Dumpling. Usagi's nickname throughout the series is "Odango Atama" [Dumpling Head] because of her unusual hairstyle. This nickname is sometimes shortened to just "Odango".

Taiko: Japanese Drum

Glossary:

Bokken: Wooden practice sword that kendoist used to practice with.

Sayonara: Goodbye

Sensei: Teacher

Senshi: Warrior

Sessha wa rurouni desu: This unworthy one is a wanderer

Shinai: Japanese practice sword made of bamboo.

I love giving names with meaning to my characters. Takeuchi Naoko-sama also does this with her characters in Sailor Moon. And so the names I gave to the RK cast goes along in this tradition.

Kohakume Ryu (Kenshin): Amber Eye Dragon

Yaruki (Yahiko): Determination

Also, though she probably won't show up in this fic, Shizuka-chan is the future version of Tsubame-chan. Shizuka means, "quiet".

Author's Notes:

Wow, I got this chapter out pretty fast, ne? I ended up working on it in during my physics lectures instead of taking notes, so if I fail that class, it's this story's fault. Please don't expect a chapter every week; I could never keep up with it. I do have the first few pages of the next chapter only because I couldn't help myself when finishing up this chapter. Even I was curious on how the meeting of Usagi and Kenshin would turn out and I'm the writer! So just what happens to Usagi and Kenshin in the next chapter? Sore wa himitsu desu. If you would like to know when I upload my next chapter of this story, please email me your email address and I will do so.

Perhaps you readers are wondering just why I made Kamiya Kaoru a past life for Usagi. Well their characters are very similar. They both are kind, loving, friendly, and are bad cooks. They are both fighters in their own time. They react the same to other girls/women who try to steal their "guys". When Usagi loses Mamoru in the first season of Sailor Moon to the dark Kingdom, she responds the same as Kaoru does when Kenshin leaves her to go to Kyoto. They become somewhat comatose and it takes a friend to get them to rejoin the living. They are also both very forgiving of peoples past. Both are willing to sacrifice their lives for their loved ones. And they both have blue eyes. Well the last reason is a stretcher but since this is my story, I can do what I want.

Hime

11/10/01

revised 4/17/02