Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Nexus Academy ❯ Electives are the Root of All Evil ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Electives Are the Root of All Evil
 
 
 
Everyone went to one of the many doors of Nexus Academy. They slipped a card in that read “CLASS HALL” and walked through them. Everyone somehow emerged at the same location.
 
Jeremy walked over to Ken and his friends. “Since I'll be in the Legendz classes, I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers.”
 
Ken took out his talispod. “The best way to learn is through experience!” He said. “Let's battle and see what you got!”
 
Jeremy took out his blue colored talispod. “Okay!” He said. Both combatants switched their talispods' toggle switch to Reborn mode. “Reborn!” They both yelled out.
 
“Okay!” Jeremy said. “Seadra!” A long eel like creature appeared. It had a huge gaping jaw and it had one of those anglerfish things sticking out of its head.
 
“A Sea-Serpent?” Ken asked surprisingly. “You do know that water elements are weak to wind elements, right?” Jeremy frowned. “Well now I do.” He said.
 
“Let's do this!” Ken yelled. “Set Element!” As soon as he said this, a hologram began to appear. It was like standing in a tornado, only it was turned on its side. “A world where the winds blow constantly…” Ken said. “And that world is ruled by:” Shiron flew up through the wind floor. “The Windragon Shiron!”
 
“Show off…” Jeremy muttered. “Seadra! Aqua Jolt!” Energy began to surge around the anglerfish thing. Electricity blasted out of it and went flying towards Shiron.
 
“Twister Wall!” Ken yelled. A tornado formed in front of the lightning blast. The blast got caught in the wind and was sent flying off to the side.
 
“Okay…” Ken said. “Wing Slicer!” Shiron's wings spread out. He flapped them hard and two blasts of wind went flying for Seadra. The next thing Jeremy knew, the screen on his talispod read zero HP.
 
Jeremy let out a moan of despair. “I don't get it!” He said. “I stayed up all night training! Seadra's at level 20!” Ken frowned. “Well it's no wonder you lost.” He said. “Legendz are living beings! If they don't get enough rest they'll get sick!”
 
Jeremy frowned. “That's ridiculous!” He said. “They're just data! I'll prove to you it was just a fluke in a rematch!” But something was wrong. When he tried to summon Seadra, all he got was snow on the little screen.
 
Ken grabbed the talispod. “See?” He said. “I told you. When this happens, it's best to change it to his most favorable environment.” Ken realized what he had just said. This was like the conversation he had a few years ago, in the third grade.
 
Kaiba watched the fight. “I don't know much about this game,” He thought, “But that Ken Kazaki is talented. It's enough to inspire one to…” He stopped thinking about it. “No! I play Duel Monsters and Duel Monsters only. There's no way I'm going to start playing this game.
 
Dean stepped forward. “Nice to see you all.” He said. “As you all know, you've been given your class schedules. You'll notice that all classes are in one subject, but you can take any other classes as electives. Today you will choose two classes to be in for electives. Now disperse and find an elective that suits you.”
 
 
 
Yahiko, Davis, and Luffy were outside in front of a green house. Professor Rose stood outside of the hut. Mostly girls were there, but there were some boys. Hopefully, they weren't there because they had a crush on Rose like most of the girls did.
 
“Today we will be attempting to harvest fireweed.” Rose said. “It is a deadly fruit that, when thrown, can pack the whack of a crate of dynamite.” Joe jumped up in glee. “Sweet!” He said. “Exploding plants! I knew there had to be something cool about plants!” Several students whom were actually interested in the plants glared at Joe angrily.
 
As the students picked strange polka-dotted grape-like plants, Rose watched them while scratching a small border collie. “Yes, yes very good. Don't eat that! Bad! Bad.” He said.
 
“Now,” Rose said, after several fireweed related incidents, “Let's try weeding.” He reached down to pull what looked like a weed from the ground. What he pulled out was a root in the shape of a person. In anger, the root punched Rose.
 
“What we have here -Ow- is a -Ow- mandrake.” Rose said as the root continued to punch him. “They -Ow- are very -Ow- gifted plants that also -Ow- produce -Ow- a deadly -Ow, Ow, Ow- scream.”
 
He pushed the root down into the ground. “Dogwood!” He said. The Border collie ran over to him. “Glass jar please.” The dog ran off and came back with a pickle jar. Rose pulled the mandrake out and put it in the jar.
 
“Anyone want a plant that can double any amount of gold next to it while it sleeps?” Rose asked. Nami, of course, grabbed the jar. “Mandrakes can also answer any question asked to them 50 percent truthfully.” Nami shrugged. All she wanted was the gold.
 
 
 
Iso looked at Jango questioningly. “Any idea how to teach?” Iso asked. “Nope.” Jango said. “I'm new to this job too. Normally the only thing I teach is how to scream in pain.” Iso nodded. “Same here.”
 
They looked at the incredibly small amount of students that had arrived. “Apparently, bounty hunting isn't appealing to most people.” Iso said.
 
A-Luffy gave a slight yawn. “This is pointless.” He thought. “I don't need to learn how to be a bounty hunter, just to avoid them.
 
Naruto raised his hand. “Well these skills help a ninja?” He asked. Iso shrugged. “Well, ninjas are sometimes hired to capture or assassinate a person.” He said. “That's pretty much all that a bounty hunter does.”
 
A-Luffy yawned again. “Still not caring.” He thought. “Capturing and assassinating? Not a pirate's job.
 
Jango pushed a button on his desk. “If any of you sign up for Bounty Hunting 101,” He said as a door behind him opened, “you'll get your own personal assistant to categorize the bounties you collect during class.”
 
The door opened revealing Lime. He had on one of those things hot dog vendors wear at a baseball game only this one had sushi. “Eat at Sushi Dooper!” He said.
 
 
 
Sir McDougery walked back and forth examining those interested in his dueling class. He eyed Aelita. “I understand you can't duel.” He said with a small smile. “Doesn't matter. I'll have you up to top notch dueling before you can say `She Sells Sea Shells by the Sea Shore' a hundred times fast.”
 
While everyone struggled to say this complicated tongue twister, McDougery led Aelita over to a small battlefield, designed to look like a jousting field. “We'll start off by seeing what you got.” He said.
 
His golden duel disc snapped into place. Aelita struggled with hers. “Alright. You're playing with nexus brand cards there!” McDougery said. “Cards from every dimension with this game are in those packs!”
 
“What's that mean Yug?” Joey asked. Yugi shrugged. “My guess is that since this game is played in different dimensions, there are cards in some dimensions that aren't in others.” He said. “And the nexus brand cards feature cards from different dimensions.”
 
Aelita drew a card. “I-I'll play a card face down!” She said. A hologram of a card appeared in the magic and trap zone. “Now I end my turn.”
 
McDougery drew a card. “Not bad, but not good either.” He said. “I play a magic card! Offerings to a Dark Dragon!” A magic card came on the field. It showed the typical peasant, about to be grabbed by a giant claw.
 
“This ritual card requires me to sacrifice monsters whose levels equal 8,” He discarded two cards from his hand as he said this. “To summon St George's Dragon!”
 
He played the card down on the field. A large dragon appeared. It had huge bat-like wings and was like a Blue Eyes with two huge horns, black scales, and it was diamond studded. It let out a fierce roar and its stats rose up. 3000 atk. 2600 def.
 
“And, since that was a ritual summon, I can summon one more monster.” He played a card from his hand in attack mode. “I choose Marauding Captain!” The soldier appeared on the field with his sword drawn. “Thanks to his special effect, when he's summoned I can play a level 4 or lower warrior-type monster! So I'll play Peasant Arthur!”
 
He threw down a young boy, garbed in rags. He had red hair and was carrying a plow. “That's it?” Aelita asked. “He just has 300 atk points.” McDougery smiled. “Looks can be deceiving…” He said menacingly.
 
Aelita drew a card. “I play Roboyarou!” She said. The robot boy appeared on the field in defense mode. “I'll end my turn with that.” She said.
 
McDougery drew a card. “I play the magic card, Camelot Blacksmith!” He said. The picture on the card showed a man making a weapon on an anvil. “This lets me add an equip card from my deck to my hand!”
 
He put the desired card in his hand, and then played it on the field. “I play Sword in the Stone!” He cried out. A large rock with a sword in it popped up in front of Peasant Arthur. The boy grabbed the hilt of the sword and pulled it out. His attack rose by 3000.
 
“Now I activate Sword in the Stone's other power!” The dueling knight said. “I can sacrifice Peasant Arthur,” The monster disappeared but the sword just floated there. “To summon King Arthur!”
 
An older man appeared, with the same hairstyle but clad in fine armor. He wore a crown on his head. “ King Arthur is a powerful monster. It has a different effect depending on the number of monsters on my side of the field! Since I have three, when he destroys a monster, you take damage equal to the destroyed monster's attack! Now Arthur, attack her Roboyarou!” McDougery said. “With Camelot Clash!” The king sliced the monster, and Aelita lost life points due to Arthur's effect.
 
“Now,” McDougery yelled. “St George's Dragon! Attack with Wicked Spark Ball!” The dragon's mouth opened wide and energy began to gather. “I activate a trap card!” Aelita said. “A Hero Emerges! Now pick a card from my hand!”
 
The knight smiled. “Nice try.” He said. “But thanks to my dragon, trap cards can't be activated when he attacks!” The energy began to form into a ball and went flying for Aelita. The next thing she knew, her life points were zero.
 
Jay gave a smile. “Not bad. Those cards are awesome. Very cool. I'm bored already.
 
 
 
Rose smiled at the students who had arrived. “Nice to see you all. Now who wants to take me on?” Jeremy smiled. “I guess I should, so I can understand the game.”
 
Rose held up his soul figure. “Alright. I'll go easy on you.” He said. They put their two talispods together so they could compete in private. In almost no time at all, Rose's screen flashed “WINNER!”
 
Ken started to get excited. “Man,” He thought, “That guy was holding back and he won real fast! I really want to challenge him now!” He could practically hear Shiron agreeing with him.
 
Rose began demonstrating different ways to perform counter attacks. Ken couldn't concentrate though. He was wondering if everyone here would be able to take him on eventually.
 
As everyone left, another student walked in. “Hello,” he said, “I'm Seto Kaiba. I'm interested in learning how to play Legendz.”
 
 
 
After everyone had gone to the electives they wanted to, Rose began packing up to go to the teacher's dorm. But he stopped. A janitor was blocking his path.
 
“You're needed Rose.” He said. Rose tried to walk around him, but the janitor moved to stop him. “You signed an oath.” The janitor said.
 
Rose frowned. “I'm aware I signed an oath.” He said. “I have the scars to prove it. But I am not going back to His side! Everywhere He goes He leaves a path of chaos! I don't work for Him anymore.”
 
Rose turned and walked away. The janitor looked as if he was talking to someone. “He still won't join.” He said. “He led the rebellion against you.” A pause as if someone was talking back. “Of course master.” The janitor said. “If we cannot recruit our old followers,” He began walking away, pretending to mop. “We must recruit a new generation…”
 
 
Next Time: The Ping-Pong Twins