Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Giant and the Lion Cub ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Oh, Kenji chan is such a little hero….he's not such a feeble, defenseless little boy…who could grow up normally with parents and family like the Kenshin gumi? Kids aren't the ignorant innocents we all think them to be (I mean that in a good way too), sometimes I think us grown ups could learn a thing or two from them…As we grow, we become jaded and lose touch of things that are important…we think our life experiences make us smarter and stronger, but sometimes we allow our souls to be weakened by the harshness of life. Kids don't do that, they take things as they come, the simplest things bring them joy. My own son is a fountain of compassion and caring, even more so than myself and I envy him. He reaches out to everyone and touches them in a way that only he can…people love him and are drawn to him…I received a note from his teacher several weeks ago, telling me how he spent his entire day helping a new girl who has downs syndrome get settled into class…the teacher didn't ask him to do it, he took it upon himself to help the little girl…he made friends with the bully that picked on him, extending a hand of friendship to a child who knew nothing but a life of loneliness….He's a unique child and far wiser than I when it comes to dealing with the hearts of other people.

Standard disclaimers apply

Chapter 8

"Shit, it's getting dark," Yahiko cursed as he dodged the pedestrians on the street. The daylight was rapidly fading behind the mountains in a brilliant array of red and gold. Hours had gone by since Kenji's disappearance and he had not seen hide nor hair of the boy. Darkness would prove no ally in the search either, and Yahiko grit his teeth against the tears that threatened to fall from his eyes.

He envisioned himself sitting on the riverbank with his family and friends this evening, enjoying the fireworks display that would mark the end of the festivities. Kenji chan would be frightened at first, but Yahiko would be there to tease him and make him forget his fears. He could almost picture the boy's look of awe as the splendid colors burst through the night sky, lighting it up in wild magnificence. He could hear the startled giggles and feel the boy crawl into his lap, lacing a small arm around his neck as he always did when mildly frightened.

Kenji would not be with them tonight. There would be no fireworks, no bonding of family and friends in quiet solitude of the riverbank, no unity of love or happiness. Tonight there would be only darkness for them, the shining spark they yearned for gone from them, and no fireworks display, however fantastic, could light the blackness in their hearts.

His hope was rapidly fading, and he began to understand the fear that Kenshin was going through. At first, the boy's disappearance only mildly disturbed him. He knew what kind of trouble Kenji chan was capable of, probably better than anyone else. The idea of the boy wandering off and getting lost was really of no shock, Kenji was capable of things far more devious and designed than that and Yahiko fully intended on scolding him for his lack of originality when they found him. Yet as the day wore on, the young samurai became increasingly aware that his small charge was no where to be found and more than likely, not even in the vicinity of the festival. Kenshin would have sensed him, even if he was hidden away somewhere in one of the tents or buildings. There was no denying the bond the father and child shared, it would not lie to them.

Yahiko glanced at the fading sun, letting the wavering light burn his eyes, feeling the sting as moisture welled in them. He shook his head, trying to free himself of the grief he felt and turned to resume his search, his feet taking him closer and closer to the Aoiya. He hoped once he reached the restaurant that one of the others would have some sort of information or clue of the boy's whereabouts, and he prayed Kenshin would return there as well.

***********

Kenshin roamed the nearly disserted streets of the business district, his eyes alert and watching the faces of those who stared at him as he passed by. He felt no malice in their questioning gazes, only mild fear and confusion at his uninhibited agitation, which was etched clearly upon his face.

He was aware of the fading light, counting the minutes until it disappeared fully behind the mountains. Night would make the search for his son difficult for the rest of the group, and he hoped they would retreat to the Aoiya to regroup. The streets of Kyoto were not safe at night, and it was best that young Misao and Yahiko stay safe inside until the light of day. As for himself, he did not fear the darkness that quietly stole upon the city, the shadows could very well be his best ally at this point, and he would use them as he did once before, many years ago.

He hesitated as he came to an intersection of the roads, leaning heavily against the corner of a building. He removed his hands from inside his gi, and placed one loosely over the hilt of his sword, feeling the familiar presence approaching from the darkness of the ally. Quietly, he waited, his expression tense.

"I know your there Battousai," a sharp voice echoed, footsteps drawing closer, "Did you honestly think you could hide yourself from me like a common street thug?"

Kenshin could almost see the smirk on the man's thin face and felt himself bristle as he stepped out from his hiding spot. He was in no mood for the arrogance of Saito Hajime today, and quickly regretted seeking the man's assistance. His desperation and lack of clues brought him to the police station, a last resort, and a source of hope. He was willing to go to any lengths to find his son, he reminded himself, even if it meant recruiting the help of this insufferable man.

"Saito san," Kenshin replied, giving the police officer a stiff bow.

Saito cocked his head to one side and took a long draw off his cigarette, contemplating the state of the small man before him. "It's been awhile Battousai," he replied, not returning the bow, "What brings you to Kyoto? Or should I ask, what brings you to my door is such a state?" He could feel the intensity of Kenshin's spirit, forceful and troubled, yet held back by thin restraints.

Kenshin swallowed against the bitter taste that formed in his mouth. He disliked this man, but could not deny that he was a useful companion in times of trouble. Saito had resources and connections that Kenshin did not, his information network would prove detrimental in this particular dilemma. "I come to ask you a favor," he asked, bowing once again.

The slender man arched a brow and flicked the ash off his cigarette, "The hitokiri Battousai asks a favor from the wolf? My how the times have changed indeed." He stood quietly, waiting for Kenshin's reaction to his less than friendly retort.

Kenshin bit his tongue against the anger that flared inside him, not allowing himself to be baited into one of Saito's petty arguments. "Fine, if not a favor, then I come to you asking help from an officer of the law," he stated, amber eyes meeting amber.

"Really?" It was not much of a question, more of a snide reply. "Well, you'll have to take it up with the officers on duty, I'm finished for the day." Saito smirked at Kenshin, delighted at his deliberate dodge of the mans wits. He would not be trapped so easily by the Battousai's cunning.

Kenshin sighed heavily, irritated. He'd unwittingly fell into one of Saito's meaningless games, a match of smarts the man undeniably enjoyed. He had no time for such things, but did not want the common police folk to become involved in something that could prove to be dangerous. Innocent people had no place in dealing with his dark past, he would not allow them to lose their lives in vain. Saito, on the other hand, was just as stained and tainted as he was, so asking his help would be most justifiable.

"What's the matter Battousai? Your past come back to haunt you again?"

Kenshin snarled at the former Shinsengumi captain, his hand grasping the hilt of his sword tightly. His eyes blazed at the lanky man, teeth bared in animal like fashion, his anger unrestrained.

Saito frowned and flicked his cigarette into the dust. He always enjoyed taunting his former enemy, watching him squirm and falter for words, hiding within the dimwitted rurouni persona. That was apparently not working here today, he only managed to unleash a monster of anger and agitation, dangerous and wild. Not even during their meetings of the revolution had he seen the Battousai so distraught and enraged, and the thought unnerved him. He would have to tread lightly. "It would seem you have some things on your mind, Battousai," he motioned with a hand for the man to follow him, keeping his gesture casual and slow.

Kenshin calmed himself, breathing deeply and cooling the flare of his soul. Fighting with Saito was pointless, and allowing anger to over take him anymore than it already had would do nothing to bring his son back to him. He had to maintain what little sanity he had left, for Kenji's sake.

"Tell me, what trouble have you stirred up this time," the police officer asked, smiling with thin lips, as the two of them walked down the street.

"My son is missing," Kenshin stated, his voice as cool as steel, "I'm afraid he's been taken from me."

For a brief moment Saito felt sympathy for the man who walked quietly beside him. He could not imagine having one of his children disappear, it was a parents greatest fear. He was surprised that the Battousai let his son get far enough away from him to actually wander off or be taken, the man was a notorious worrier and fiercely over protective. That would explain the obvious reemergence of the Battousai persona, he'd expect nothing less from a man who banked his life on his own flesh and blood. He would have to choose his words carefully and refrain from his usual harassment. "Tell me what happened," he stated calmly, hiding his parental sympathy and sedating any sharp retorts that fluttered inside his mind.

********

Kenji felt himself being lifted into the air by the back of his kimono. He made a small sound of protest as one of his tiny sandals fell from his foot and landed into the soft dirt of the ally way. Up he went, higher and higher, dangling like a limp, wet rag in the steely grasp of an unknown assailant.

"What do we have here," a voice not unlike the rumble of a distant thunderstorm, asked, the tone amused and curious. With a flex of the wrist, the light boy felt his collar twist and he spun around to gaze into the face of the person who held him at their mercy.

"Huh?" The man jerked the child closer to his face, his amusement faltering slightly and giving way to surprise. He moved quickly out of the ally and into the better light of the street.

Now, just inches from the man's face, Kenji found himself staring into eyes so black they seemed to have no pupil. The stern gaze might have been frightening if it wasn't for the shiny pinpoints of light dancing in their depths and the creases around the corners. Still, despite the hidden signs of friendliness, Kenji felt himself holding his breath as he met the obsidian stare, biting his lip nervously.

The man that held him was enormous, standing at least a head taller than his lanky uncle Sano. His shoulders and chest were broad, rippling with muscles so large Kenji had to fight back the urge to reach out and touch the lumps and curves that strained against the man's shirt. Never in his short life had he seen such a man, and the more he thought about it, the more inhuman his captor seemed. For a brief moment he contemplated the idea he'd been captured by a monster, but as he studied the man's face, he breathed a sigh of relief. The face of the man that held him was indeed human, handsome and strong with sharp, defined features. He was intimidating, but not demonic or evil looking.

For a long moment, the two of them just stared at each other.

Hiko Seijuro narrowed his dark eyes at his small captive, a sharp brow arched curiously. Something seemed strangely familiar about the current situation. Who would have thought that in one lifetime, he'd come across another young boy with red hair, pale eyes, and milky white skin. If he didn't know any better, he'd swear he held Shinta, the child he rescued and renamed, in his hands once again, though this child was far smaller and younger. The resemblance was so uncanny it was almost unnerving.

The boys hair was shaggy and the color of an angry flame. A few strands fell across slender, slightly arched brows, shadowing large, pale eyes. Those same eyes danced in the light of dusk, shining like diamonds, almost devoid of color except for the hint of bluish/violet swimming around a deep black pupil. A tiny, slightly upturned nose and thin set of lips set perfectly centered between plump, chidish cheeks, rosy still from his previous exertions. At first glance, Hiko suspected the child to be barely two years old, but now that he held him closer, he could see he was mistaken. The boy was small for his age, deceivingly small, but his legs and arms were skinny and lithe, like those of a toddler in his last stages of infancy.

"What's your name boy," Hiko finally asked, though he really didn't need to ask. He knew whose blood flowed in the child's veins, it was only painfully obvious. He half expected the child to tell him "Shinta," and he tried not to gag. It was such a weak name for a boy, especially for the child of a Hiten Mitsurugi master.

Kenji just stared at Hiko, sucking on his bottom lip in deep thought. His parents warned him not to address strangers when they were not around, but he already broke that rule several times today and was still intact. He found this man intriguing, but he still was not certain of his intentions. He eyed Hiko with intense interest, maintaining his contemplating silence.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!" Hiko gave the boy a quick shake, watching as skinny arms flew out in desperate attempt to maintain balance. The other sandal fell to the ground, and Kenji's red hair stuck out in wild disarray at the unnecessary jostle. The wide, pale eyes became piercing slits and the small jaw set hard against clenched teeth once the harsh treatment ceased and the boy regained his senses.

Hiko almost laughed at the look on the boy's face, remembering how Kenshin would stare daggers at him with the same ferociousness. His apprentice had been stubborn child, but he always bent to his masters will, even if it was reluctantly. There was no doubt in his mind that this child belonged to his dumb student, but he sensed that this boy was far more than just stubborn. The look on the boy's face was indignant, defiant, and issued a silent warning. "Such spirit," Hiko thought, "You far surpass your father! He would never openly think vengeance on me."

Hiko wondered where his baka deshi was right now. Something wasn't right, and Hiko didn't like the foul stench of it. He knew his student far to well, he defended that ridiculous little family of his with the fervor of a lion protecting it's den, there was no way in all of hell he'd leave his own flesh and blood out on the streets of Kyoto to rot. No, Kenshin wouldn't let a child of his and that Kamiya girl alone for a moment, Hiko was sure of that.

He peered closely at Kenji, eyeing him up and down, taking note of the now torn and filthy kimono, grimy cheeks, and matted hair. Maybe this wasn't a child of Kenshin and his sword-welding woman. He could be the whelp of some teahouse whore and his baka deshi, a by-product of one of those yearly trips to Kyoto that his student supposably made. Hiko shook his head slightly, biting back the twinge of anger he felt towards his apprentice. If that were the case, he would personally go to Tokyo and bash his idiot student all the way to China. "Ridiculous," he thought, he anger slightly receding. Kenshin had eyes only for that Kamiya girl, and his student's loyalties ran deeper than most men's did.

Hiko frowned a little more deeply, "Is this boy an orphan?" He was mildly surprised at the worry he suddenly felt for his student and his family. Death was a part of life, and he was surprised Kenshin had made it as far as he had already. It shouldn't bother him to think of his student being dead, things happened, but he started to feel a twinge of regret and concern as he gazed at the child in his hand. Surely he would have heard something if a disaster had befallen the group in Tokyo. Then again, he kept more to himself lately, not having much contact with the outside world, so news wouldn't reach him easily.

Three years had passed since Hiko had seen his student. Kenshin visited him early spring, right after the snows had melted and allowed safe passage up the mountain. He spoke nothing of a child being conceived or born, let alone being married to the Kamiya girl, though Hiko hardly doubted that his apprentice kept himself unwed from that girl, especially after that horrific incident with his former wife's younger brother.

Hiko shrugged, thinking that maybe being a hermit did have its disadvantages. "He could at least send a letter every now and then," he thought to himself bitterly, "Selfish little twit."

He looked back at Kenji, who still stared at him with the venom of a scorpion, and pondered on what to do next. He had no desire to take on another apprentice, especially one so young. Kenshin was eight years old and more than a handful for him back then. Hiko had no experience with children this young, but knew they required more care and attention than older ones did. Still, he couldn't leave the boy alone in the streets of Kyoto, he would certainly meet an unpleasant end if left to fend for his own.

He thought briefly of the orphanage that was not far from his current position. He would not hesitate to drop any other street urchin upon their doorstep, but placing the son of his student there did not sit well with him. There was no honor in pawning the brat off, and the orphanage was almost as bad as the street. It offered bed, food, and a roof, but no more. If Kenshin and his woman were not around, Hiko was the closest person to a relative the boy had left, it was his duty to take him in until he could find a better place for the boy to live. The man sighed and cursed his steely sense of honor. Being so noble was such a burden sometimes.

"Can you talk baka kodomo," Hiko barked, raising Kenji a little higher into the air. If the boy could speak, he could certainly answer some of the questions plaguing the large man's mind. "Or are you deaf and dumb?"

Kenji hissed at his captor, baring his teeth at the man's words, wishing nothing more than to kick him in the nose or sink his teeth into his hand. He was held in an unfavorable position, unable to defend himself, as if the giant knew that getting to close would ensue something unpleasant.

Hiko was amazed that the boy showed absolutely no fear of him what so ever. He grinned at the fighting spirit he felt pouring from within the boy, and knew that if he made one wrong move, the child would have a chunk of him between his teeth before he could bat an eye. It was obvious the boy could hear and did not take kindly to harsh words, more than likely he could speak as well, but instead chose not too, sizing up his opponent none the less. Hiko's smiled broadened, impressed with the boy's wits and courage. "The lion bore a fierce cub," he thought to himself, almost praising his student for a job well done.

"Listen up chicchai raion," Hiko pulled Kenji a bit closer, watching as the child fidgeted slightly, debating on whether or not to make a move, "My name is Hiko Seijuro, 13th master of Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu, and teacher to Himura Kenshin. Today is your lucky day, I'm going to take you home with me and in return you'll tell me where your father is. Then I'll decide what to do with you."

Hiko lost Kenji the minute he mentioned Hiten Mitsurugi. The boys frown faded into a look of surprise, then excitement. He pointed at the katana bound to the mans hip and giggled a cherubic giggle, "Hit'n Miten-ugi Ryuu!" He looked at the tall man and smiled, squishing his eyes together in glee.

Hiko prided himself on being man not often caught off guard, but he almost dropped his little prisoner in surprise when the boy shouted back the name of his sword style in his face. Even though the boy knew what the words meant, by motioning to his sword, it still did not give Hiko enough information to decide if Kenshin still lived. This was definitely his son though, raised by him up until recently, that he knew now for sure. "Where's your father," he asked the now smiling boy.

Kenji attempted a shrug, but his position made it difficult and his face became somber with the mention of his parent.

"Is he alive?"

Another shrug.

"Is he in Kyoto?"

Shrug.

This was getting him nowhere. The boy became silent again, watching Hiko intently, his anger at the man forgotten.

Kenji had no concept of life or death and such questions about his fathers well being would not bring forth any information. He also had no idea where his parents were, that was the honest truth. All he knew was he could not see them, nor could he feel his father anywhere near him, therefore, they could be anywhere.

Hiko sighed. He was getting tired and it would be dark when he reached his cabin now. The trek home would allow him time to think and once back in the comfort of his cabin, he could question the boy further. He set Kenji on the ground, stooping down to meet his gaze, "Do you have a name child?"

Kenji stared at Hiko for a moment and when he decided it would be okay to divulge such information he replied, "Ken-ji."

Hiko rolled his eyes slightly. "Figures," he muttered, standing up and shifting his sake jug against his hip, "Come on Kenji chan. I hope you can keep up, it's a long walk to my home."

Hiko moved easily down the street, pausing when he reached the end of the road that would take him out of town. "What are you doing," he yelled, seeing that the boy had not followed him one step of the way, "I said hurry up!"

Striding back to where the boy stood, fuming, Hiko barked, "What's the matter?"

Kenji looked at the ground sheepishly, kicking the dirt with bare tabi, "No shoes," he stated.

Hiko picked up one tiny sandal and tossed it at the boy, "Where's the other one?"

Kenji pointed to the now dark ally way.

"Well go get it."

"Scary there," the boy stated.

"Kami sama," Hiko thought, "Go. Get. It."

Kenji arched a brow at Hiko and stood fast, staring at the man. A battle of wills began, both watching each other and neither budging.

"Fine," Hiko finally said, grabbing the boy by a skinny arm, "We'll both go."

Kenji grinned as he was drug behind the massive swordsman, not bothering to fuss at such harsh treatment.

Kenji's been picking fights with the local gangster kids, Kenshin and company think he's been abducted and taken far from Kyoto, Hiko thinks Kenshin could be dead…what a stir one little boy has managed to create….But it would seem out boy hero is having a good time, even though he has no clue where he is or where his parents are. Chicchari raion is the term for "little lion." I'm not sure how accurate it is, but oh well, thanks to the person who gave me the information, your help was greatly appriciated (smile)…Kodomo is the word for child…I'm trying to work up a nickname for Kenji that Hiko would use in place of his given name…lol…for some reason, Hiko sama calling Kenji, Kenji chan doesn't seem quite right….I have no idea if they even had orphanages back then, but I'd imagine they had something along those lines, though I may be wrong…but it seemed appropriate to put into this fic…Kenji's a mess and looks like a street rat, so it seemed just fitting for people to assume so….Anyway, I'll see you all in the next chapter, where we'll see what trouble Kenji can cause Master Hiko….hee hee….