Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Giant and the Lion Cub ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Standard Disclaimers Apply

Chapter 9

"So, your telling me the boy just up and disappeared. There's no traces of him anywhere and no witnesses?"

Kenshin nodded, walking silently next to the tall man. He'd looked everywhere, double-checked all the previous places they'd been, questioned people on the street. He had found nothing, not even a hint of his son's whereabouts.

Saito took a long drag off his cigarette, watching as the smoke curled and snaked away on the gentle currents of the night air. "You'd think a child of your son's age would make a ruckus if grabbed by a hostile stranger," he replied thoughtfully.

Kenshin cast Saito a sidelong glance, "You have no idea," he muttered, thrusting out a badly bruised forearm to illustrate his point. There was no way Kenji would allow himself to be held and carried away with out a fight. "Who ever took him would have had to sedate him or drug him someway," he growled, bristling at the thought of his son being attacked in such a way. It would be a simple matter to sedate a child, a cloth of over the mouth. It would not take much to knock the boy out, providing the drug was strong enough.

Saito raised an eyebrow, gazing at the man's injured arm. "Indeed," he said in wonder, "Your whelp did that?"

Kenshin nodded slightly, gazing deep into the shadows of the street, his thoughts wandering. He stiffened slightly, sensing a familiar presence, and turned to face the approaching figure.

"Did you have any news Aoshi?"

The tall man walked silently past Saito, not bothering to look at or greet the police officer. He nodded quietly and stopped next to Kenshin. "Hai, I found some interesting news on the east side of the city."

Kenshin made a gasp of surprise. East Kyoto was well known for its hard line gangs and thugs. The most destitute and dangerous people resided in that part of the city. Once again anger flared through his body, followed closely by fear for his boy's well being.

Aoshi continued, "It would seem there was incident at the local liquor store. A squabble between three children apparently, there was significant damage done to one of the buildings, but no one was seriously injured."

"So," Saito snapped, irritated at the other man's calm demeanor, "What does this have to do with the Battousai's boy?"

Aoshi's lips thinned at the slender man's interruption, cold eyes demanding silence, "I'm not finished," he stated, turning back to Kenshin, "Two of the children are affiliated with the local gangs, a son and niece if my information is correct. The other boy was small, and red haired."

"WHAT?" Kenshin's eyes shot open. Knowing his son's location brought him no relief. Kenji was in danger, in the hands of the yukuza, none the less. Anger slowly began work itself into a molten fire of rage. His blood sang for vengeance and his primal instinct to protect drown out his senses. "Where is he now," he hissed.

Both Saito and Aoshi turned their heads, cast weary glances at each other, the terrible rancor with in Kenshin's ki causing their blood to run cold. Not even Saito, in all his confidence and self-assuredness would raise a challenge, or a sword, to the man that stood before him now. Kenshin reeked of dominance and demanded respect.

"I asked you a question," the amber-eyed man whispered, his words dripping with warning, "Who has my son."

Aoshi maintained his cool demeanor, despite the iciness of his blood, "That, I do not know."

"Fuck," Kenshin spat, his harsh word causing both men to take an involuntary step back. He glared at them both with amber fire in his eyes, debating on his next mode of action. With a harsh shake of his head, he turned quickly on his heel and sprinted for the east side of Kyoto, his heart blinded by rage and an undeniable urge for vengeance.

"Himura san, wait!"

Saito grabbed Aoshi's arm and set off after the Battousai, "Idiot! He's going to kick in the doors of all the local yukuza if we don't stop him!"

*********

"I said knock that off!" Hiko cringed as there was a loud, wet thump, followed by a giggle of glee. Hopelessly, he stared at the boy who pulled himself free of the thick mud he'd just fallen into. The child was as black as a tar, reeking of foul smelling forest muck. His hair was matted into dreadlocks and his once green kimono was now a dingy grayish brown, ripped and torn from the day's exertions. Two diamond like eyes peered out from behind a mask of sticky mud, dancing mischievously. He remained seated in the muck, squishing it between his now bare feet, both sandals and tabi long since lost during the trek up the mountain.

Hiko let out an angry sigh and stalked back to where the boy sat, grabbing him again by the collar of his ruined kimono. He had half the mind to throw the boy into the river, but decided against it, knowing the child probably couldn't swim yet. "Baka kodomo, you managed to fall in every puddle we passed by! Are you really as clumsy as that idiot student of mine?"

Kenji smiled innocently, small white teeth gleaming in sharp contrast to his mud blackened face.

Hiko set the boy down, glaring at him and shaking the muck off his hand. "Now you listen to me boy," he kept his voice stern and authoritative, "This is my home, you'll do as I say, no question's asked."

Kenji just stared at him, smiling his angelic smile, but not necessarily agreeing with the man who stood before him.

Hiko shook his head and turned back to the trail. He could see the small outline of his cabin in the darkness and felt relief. Surely, after a bath and hot meal, the boy would go to sleep. If his memory was correct, young children slept a lot. At least he hoped that was the truth, he was not a young man anymore, and today's events were making him tired, as much as he hated to admit it. He would question the boy in the morning, then decided what to do with him.

Hiko opened the door of his home, pointing at Kenji to remain in the doorway while he lit the fire and lamps, surprisingly the child obeyed. Once settled and his things put away, Hiko turned to the child standing on the door mat, who watched him curiously, a sucking on a dirty finger.

"Ugh, he's filthy," Hiko grimaced, looking the boy up and down. The mat was already puddling with wet mud, and the boy's kimono hung heavily from his small frame. Hiko stooped down close and with his fingertips began to untie the boy's obi, trying to remove the disgusting mess of rags.

Kenji frowned slightly, and took a step back, shaking his matted hair. "No," he stated, not wanting the man to remove his clothing.

"Knock it off kid," Hiko growled, irritated. He reached for the boy again and was met with a sharp slap of the hand. Surprised, Hiko pulled his own hand back, rubbing it slightly.

He met Kenji's narrowed gaze with his own black glare, "Fine, go ahead and sit around in those clothes." He suppressed a wicked grin, "But when that black mud starts to eat away your skin, don't come crying to me." He stood up and made like he was going to begin fixing supper, unconcerned with the look of horror that now played upon the boy's face.

Kenji had his own clothes off in a matter of seconds, jumping up and down on the mat like a rabbit on hot coals.

It took all the strength Hiko had to maintain a straight face. Laughter threatened to bellow forth at any minute as he watched the boy stare at him with panicked eyes, flapping his hands up and down like a wounded bird. He reveled in his own use of cunning, "Two can play this game chibi raion," he thought to himself as he picked the child up and carried him to the makeshift bathhouse outside.

The bath took longer than expected, Kenji insisting on using an entire bottle of soap to cleanse himself of the flesh eating muck, and scrubbing himself almost raw with a wash cloth. Hiko was impressed how well the boy managed to clean himself, only having to help the child wash his hair.

A new problem posed itself now and Hiko frowned in thought. The child had no clothing. Hiko could wash the kimono, but he knew the child would refuse to wear it after the tale he'd been told. He scrunched his brow slightly, his eyes landing on a dusty trunk in the corner. "Hmmm, maybe…" He shoved away some of the books that were stacked carelessly on top and pulled it into the center of the room. Working the rusty latches free, he rummaged around inside, smiling as he found what he was looking for.

"Come 'ere boy," he barked.

Kenji made a slight protest as he stood in the center of the room, his hands swallowed up by sleeves far to long, grasping the top of a pair of pants that threatened to fall down if he let go. The collar of the shirt fell over one shoulder, leaving it exposed, and if Kenji wanted to, he could probably fit his entire body through that same collar. To illustrate his discomfort, he let go of the pants, took a few steps forward, and fell onto his face, his legs tangled up in the thin, brown fabric.

"Hmm," Hiko muttered, rubbing his chin, "I guess your father's clothes aren't going to fit you just yet." Hiko grabbed the child off the floor and stripped him again, tossing the pants into a corner and eyeing the shirt. It had promise. He moved to the other side of the room and drew his sword, slicing off the sleeves and cutting it up the middle. Out of the discarded sleeves, he fashioned an obi of sorts, smiling at his ingenious. It was a crude kimono, but it would do until he could find suitable clothing for the boy.

Kenji made a sharp gasp of surprise and grinned his approval.

"Yes, my intelligence and amazing mind are yet to be surpassed child," Hiko beamed while Kenji scowled.

Kenji watched Hiko eat his rice and fish intently. He held his own set of chopsticks in one tiny hand, slightly perturbed at the man's disregard of his current plight. He tried to mimic the motions of the larger man, but his own utensils refused to cooperate. Repeated they fell to the floor or onto his lap, only adding to his agitation. His food was still steaming in front of him, untouched, and his belly grumbled in protest.

"What's the matter chibi raion," Hiko asked, cocking an eye at the apparently annoyed child, "Not hungry?"

Kenji frowned at him, holding up a chopstick in spear like fashion. "Humph," he grunted, bringing it down with amazing force to the other man's tray, spearing his fish.

Hiko stared at the skewered fish and scattered rice, then back at Kenji. "If you needed help, you could have just asked me instead of destroying my dinner."

Hiko unrolled his futon, straining against weary muscles. Fatigue made his eyes heavy, and he sighed with relief as he readied for bed. How nice it would be to lie down and let sleep take him over, the day had been a long one and tomorrow would probably be worse. He would have to discover the answers about his student and family, no matter how gruesome or disheartening the details.

He watched the Himura child sleeping soundly on a make shift bed next to the fire and smiled. He liked the boy and was impressed with the spirit he possessed. He was not surprised though, both the boys parents were amazing people, courageous, passionate, and intelligent. His baka deshi was never stupid, just irrational and ignorant. Hiko would never tell him that in person though. It was just best not to tell people about their best traits too often, constant compliments make for a large ego.

Hiko sighed and shook his head, moving to where Kenji lay, and pulling the blanket closer around the boys neck. Tomorrow, he would decide if the boy stayed with him. He had to find his answers.

Kenshin needs to take a chill pill, though I know I'd be a nut case if my son was missing….Hiko out witting Kenji in typical Hiko style….poor kid, he'll never think of mud the same way again!!! Kenji's not finished with him yet, morning still has to come….hee hee!