Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Visit to Kyoto:Kenji's understanding ❯ Kenji's Idea ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Prologue: Kenji's Idea

Fourteen year old Kenji Himura was sitting on the front porch
of the dojo with his father on a hot summer day, not really doing anyting, when an idea came to mind.

"You know what dad, its getting kind of boring around here.
Why don't we take a trip to Kyoto and visit Uncle Aoshi, Aunt Misao, and Grandpa Hiko?'

Kenshin looked at his son and pondered the idea for a moment. Then he smiled.

"That sounds like a good idea Kenji. We haven't visited for a while now.
I think I'll go inside and ask your mother what she thinks."

Kenshin got up from where he was sitting and went inside to find Kaoru. Kenji smiled as he thought of his father. He loved
his father dearly and they were very close, but Kenji really wanted to learn about and understand his father better. He wanted to be able to understand his father like his mother did. He had always noticed that Kaoru and Kenshin could look at each other and know what the other was thinking. He really wanted to know more
about his father's past. Kenji thought that if he understood more about his father, then perhaps Kenji could learn more about himself.
Kenji looked a lot like his father, with the red hair and the small, skinny frame. But he had his mother's blue eyes. He was also an excellent swordsman
like his father. He had been trained by his mother in the Kamiya Kasshin style because Kenshin did not plan to pass on Hiten Mitsurugi. One of Kenji's
favorite things to do was to spar with Yahiko and Kaoru. Kenji sighed. He wanted to go to Kyoto to see his friends, but he really wanted to go to for other reasons.
He knew that his father had fought in Kyoto during the revolution as the Hitokiri Battousai, and also had returened to Kyoto to save Japan from the madman, Makoto Shishio.
Kenji knew that his father's fight with Shishio had been about a year after he has met Kaoru, Sano, Yahiko, Megumi, Dr.Gensai, Ayame, and Suzume. Kenji also knew that Kaoru, Sano, Yahiko, and later Megumi had followed Kenshin to Kyoto.
He had heard some stories from his family and friends about what happened in Kyoto, but his father rarley spoke of it. He felt Kenji was too young to know all of the details. But Kenji was determined to learn all about his father's past.
He didn't want to hurt his father, but he was going to find out. Kenji couldn't wait to get to Kyoto and he wasn't going to tell anyone why.