Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ A Visit to Kyoto:Kenji's understanding ❯ A walk with Sano and Yahiko ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Visit to Kyoto: Kenji's Understanding

Chapter 9: A walk with Sano and Yahiko


Kenji, Sano, and Yahiko walked silently for a little while, which was saying something considering their personalities. Kenji's head was swirling. If his father was such a legend, why had he stopped killing? Was it possible to carry out justice without killing? He decided to talk to Sano and Yahiko about it.

"Sano, why did you come to Saitoh's house to find me? Why is everybody looking for me?" asked Kenji in a rush.

Sano paused for a moment thinking about his answer. He didn't want to just throw out answer like he usually did. Plus he didn't want to let anything slip.


"Well kid, you kinda ran away in the middle of the night, so we were kinda worried about you. Your dad was really worried and asked us to come after you. But we all have something to say to you. We know you are looking to discover your dad's past so we all decided to tell you what we knew. We decided to tell our parts in it and let you come to a conclusion on your own. But I'm going to tell you now pipsqueak, your mom and dad are really worried about you." Sano stopped there, because Kenshin had asked Sano not to talk about Enishi, because he knew that Kenji would try and go after him on his own, and that would be dangerous.

"Ya," said Yahiko, "You can't just leave in the middle of the night and not expect us to come and find you."

Kenji felt slightly guilty for a moment. He hadn't meant to make his parents worry.

"I didn't mean to make them worry, I just need to have some questions answered that's all. And I didn't think that he would answer them. They always say that I'm to young." said Kenji, in a determined voice.

"Well then Kenji, I know that they had a reason for it. But maybe you should have asked them first instead of running away." said Sano.

Kenji snorted with laughter.

"But Uncle Sano, if someone answered your questions, you would have done anything to get the answers."

Yahiko looked at Sano. Kenji had a point there.

"Look kid I might do alot to get my questions answered, but not anything. Your father has taught me some very important lessons about life. If it weren't for him, my life would be completely different." said Sano seriously.

"That goes for me to." said Yahiko somberly, "I would still be working for the yakuza if it weren't for Kenshin."

"I know all of that. I know that my father is a great man. But how can he really carry out justice if he dosen't kill? Why did he decide to stop killing? I want to know the answer." said Kenji, a determined look in his blue eyes.

"You've got a lot of listening to do kid." said Sano looking over at Kenji.

"I'm ready, go ahead." said Kenji, looking Sano directly in the eyes.

Sano sighed and began to talk.

"After the revolution was over and after Captain Sagara was killed, I turned to a life of violence and killing. I thought that that was the only way to get revenge on the people that killed my captain." said Sano, eyes tearing, against his will. " But then I was hired to fight your father, and I was so determined to defeat him because he was one of the most important imperialists. But that conflict and his words changed my life forever. I learned that violence should be avoided, and if it cannot, killing is not the answer." said Sano, stopping to let his words sink in.

Kenji shook his head, confused.

"But how did dad come to think this way? I don't get it."

"After the revolution, your father went wandering around Japan, looking for the truth. He realized that killing was not good for the soul, that no matter what, killing should be avoided. That every human life was precious, even during war." said Sano, looking at Kenji for a reaction.

"Okay," said Kenji slowly, "I can see why he wouldn't want to kill, but how can one carry out justice without killing?"

"Because Kenshin discovered that there was an alternative to killing, and that alternative is the reverse blade sword." said Yahiko wisely.

"And even though your father's reputation as Battousai the manslayer still survives, he has created a new legend. The legend of Kenshin Himura, the wandering swordsman, who protects people with his sword." said Sano. "I've watched your father defeat countless enemies, using that sword. He inspires the people of this country to protect the weak, and stand up for what is right, by not turning to violence. This country would have been in big trouble without our dad." said Sano, his normally comical self sounding very wise.


All were silent for a few minutes as Kenji absorbed all that he had learned so far that day. He was beginning to understand a bit better now. The warm Japanese spring breeze blew his fiery red hair into his face as he walked.

"My dad has risked so much to keep this vow. It just seems like so much for one human being to take on." said Kenji thoughtfully.

"It is." said Yahiko, "But Kenshin is no normal guy."

Sano laughed hard at this comment.

"That he most certainly is not." he said, looking up at the sun so very high in the sky. "Well Kaoru is going to kill me if you don't get home soon. But before I take you back, Aoshi wanted to have a talk with you."

Kenji looked at Sano, surprised. He loved Aoshi, but to tell the truth the man could be intimdating.

"Talk to Aoshi? But he hardly ever says a word. It'd be easier to talk to a rock." said Kenji grinning.

"That's true," said Sano, agreeing, "But when Aoshi wants to talk, its hard to get him to stop. Come on, I 'll take you to the temple that's where he is."

But as the group walked, they didn't notice a dark shadow seemed to be following them.