Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Atonement ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer- I don’t own Rurouni Kenshin or any of the awesome characters, nor do I make any money from the writing this story.





Chapter Five




“Sano!  What are you doing here?!”  Kenshin gasped.  How had his friend found him and how long had he been out there?

Sanosuke stood up and brushed the dirt off his clothes.  He couldn’t answer the man, as he was still in shock about what he’d just heard.  Why had he even decided to follow his friend in the first place?

The dazed look on Sanosuke’s face told Kenshin his friend had witnessed at least some of what had transpired.  Kenshin’s heart sank.

“I’m going to fucking kill that guy!” Sanosuke roared, snapping out of his stupor.  His fingers dug into the palms of his hands.  He’d watched that man rush out and had been too stunned to say anything to him.  The man’s strong build and height astonished him.  He was a near match to his own!  Nonetheless, Sanosuke knew that man wasn’t as tough as Kenshin.

“Please don’t say that,” Kenshin replied in a low voice.  “I’ve got it under control.”

Sanosuke spun to face him, wide-eyed.  “Under control?” he shouted.  “The things he did to you?”  His voice quavered with rage.  “That was him, wasn’t it?  Enishi!”

Kenshin bowed his head.  “This is my own battle to fight,” he replied calmly.

“You call that a battle?” Sanosuke roared.  He pointed at the building.  “That?”  His face heated.  “That was...rape as far as I could tell!  He wants you to suffer and die!  He told you so!”  His blood boiled recalling again those hateful words he’d heard as he’d approached the door.  First, he’d stared in disbelief at the scene unfolding within this decrepit dump—his best friend being fucked like an animal by that man.  After what felt like an eternity, Sanosuke had backed away from the door and staggered along the front of the building in a daze.  He’d slid down the wall to sit, helplessly listening to every agonizing moment.  The worst part was that Kenshin wouldn’t have wanted him to intervene.  Why did Kenshin always insist on taking care of things on his own?  Couldn’t he understand how much that hurt his friends—the people who loved him?  

Kenshin reached for Sanosuke to calm him down, but the man shrunk away.  Perhaps Sanosuke had not seen everything…

“God!  You smell like him!  You smell like his...!”  Sanosuke quickly turned his head.  He wasn’t sure why he felt so enraged.  Interfering with Kenshin’s business wasn’t his place.  Although, what he’d witnessed had set him off.  

Kenshin dropped his arm.  “I don’t know what else to say,” he conceded.  

Sanosuke’s hand clamped down on Kenshin’s shoulder.  “Say you won’t come back here!” he exclaimed.  “We’ll fight him at the dojo, just like he wanted!  And we’ll defeat him and the others just like we planned!”

Kenshin mustered a convincing nod.  This wasn’t good.  Not good at all.  He didn’t want to fight Enishi.  He didn’t want to see him or anyone else get hurt.  He thought back to Enishi’s cryptic comment on the bridge about seeing that he is much more than a weapons dealer—not to mention there was that mysterious, long sword he carried on his back.


``````````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````


Enishi burst through the mansion door and rushed to his room.  Once inside, he tossed his sword onto the floor and tore off his clothing.  The delicate silk was wrinkled from his visit to the river, where he’d waded waist deep to rid any evidence of Battousai’s sweat and scent.   If only the images in his mind could be rinsed away as easily.  He kicked the cursed clothing into a pile.  He’d burn them later!

His comrades’ inquisitive gazes upon his return only incensed him more.  Fuck them all!  What he did on his own time was none of their fucking business!  Hadn’t they seen an irate man hell-bent on avenging his murdered sister before?  Though up until now, he’d tried to keep his rage in check, preferring to maintain a steely resolve in front of those idiots.

Like a caged animal, he paced his room naked and mumbling obscenities.  He knew he was being watched by Mumyoi from above the ceiling and he didn’t care.

“So what!” Enishi seethed with rage.  Paranoia gripped him.  He felt as though everyone knew what he’d done with his enemy—how he’d enjoyed it!  “It was for revenge!” he shouted at his imaginary detractors.  He squatted and slammed his fists repeatedly against the floor.  “It doesn’t matter!”  He could go back to the way things used to be.  He could forget what happened with Battousai.  He could forget.  

Enishi grabbed a clean change of clothes, threw open his bedroom door, and stormed naked to the bath.  From the corner of his eye, he saw Hyoko’s ruby red smile of amusement as he puffed on his pipe.  Enishi would bathe, then train.  Practicing his sword skills would clear his clouded mind.


``````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````````


Reinvigorated following his bath, Enishi stepped outside into the early evening air.  A cool breeze tousled his slightly dampened hair, prompting a small shiver.  Sword in hand, he stretched his arms out from his sides, inhaling deeply.  Ready to train, he had distanced himself from the mansion as if this alone would help him focus.  He performed the usual warm-up swings with his long sword and settled into position for his Gou Tsui Tou Sei attack imagining Battousai stood before him.  He held his position for a moment to center his mind and body, then with an explosion of energy, lunged forward with a sword-thrust to his imaginary opponent’s torso, then swung his sword up only to swing it forward again to hurl the invisible adversary’s body from the blade.

“Fuck!” Enishi growled.  Not enough power!  Annoyed, he tried again.  This time he was too slow!  Throwing his head back, he roared with frustration toward the sky.  When he failed to execute the move correctly yet again, he chucked his sword, doubled over and pummeled the sides of his head with his fists.  He grabbed his hair and pulled.  “What the fuck!”  This was unacceptable!  Why was he holding back?  He squeezed his eyes shut.  His sister still smiled.  His breathing gradually slowed until finally, he released his hair and straightened.

“I will avenge you, Sister!” he spoke with renewed concentration as he retrieved his sword.   Despite the skilled slashes of his sword, he could do little to cut through the memories of what had happened with Battousai.  Finally fed up with his inability to fully focus, he retreated to his room for the night.

Sitting in his chair, enveloped by silence in his darkening room, Enishi struggled to come to terms with what had happened between him and Battousai back in that dusty, old shack.  Why had he enjoyed Battousai’s body so much?  And Battousai seemed like he may have enjoyed it too.  Every time he remembered Battousai’s slender fingers touching his cock, his heart somersaulted.  And the way the man kissed him using his warm tongue—what the fuck was he trying to do?  With a growl of frustration, Enishi buried his face in his hands, wanting to forget it all.  Shit!  He wouldn’t go there again!  He couldn’t meet with Battousai like that, not even one more time.  Otherwise, he’d lose his way—he was sure of that.  He bent forward until his elbows rested on his knees, his face remaining hidden behind his hands.  “Sister,” he whispered.  “I’m sorry.  I’ll have to wait until we attack the dojo, just as I promised.  Please forgive me.  I love you so much.”  He was pleased when his sister’s smile remained.  Still, he wondered if Battousai would return to that shack.  Thinking about him being there only created a gnawing uneasiness within him, so he tried to push those thoughts aside.

He stood and headed to bathe for the second time that evening.  He needed to wash until his body forgot Battousai’s touch.  

As Enishi walked through the foyer of the mansion, he heard the excited banter of his comrades as they discussed the horrible death that awaited Battousai at their hands.  His forehead crinkled.  As if any of them really could actually kill Battousai.  Although their discussion did rekindle his original Jinchuu plans.  Having decided not to meet with his enemy, his original revenge idea became his next move.  He would attack the Kamiya dojo just as he’d intended.  Whereas previously this strategy had excited him, now he felt a heavy knot in his belly.


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````````````


The sun dipped in the horizon as Kenshin cooked a late dinner for everyone at the dojo.  He tried his best to keep up appearances that everything was fine, but the recurrent concerned stares and nervous chatter told him he wasn’t fooling anyone—not even Yahiko.  And Sanosuke may have been partly to blame, as the man uncharacteristically helped Kenshin prepare the meal.  His good friend hadn’t left his side, with the exception of Kenshin’s bath earlier, since their return to the dojo.  And Kaoru had strangely kept her distance, as if she sensed something was amiss.

 Following dinner, Kenshin retreated to his room.  He lit the lantern by the door and sat with his back against the wall.  He felt like a traitor who didn’t even deserve the privilege to sleep in this room after what he’d done with Enishi.  Kaoru would be devastated when she found out.  He cared deeply for her, and would protect her and the others until the end, no matter what.  He wanted to help Enishi, too, if he could.

Kenshin exhaled deeply as he silently berated himself.  Even Tomoe would’ve been disappointed in him.  Although his intentions had initially been pure, he was now certain that he’d ended up hurting Enishi even more by adding additional confusion to the man’s mental trauma.  He hung his head.  “I’m sorry, Tomoe.  I’ve let you down again.”  

Kenshin was startled from his thoughts with a knock on his door.  Sanosuke poked his head in.

“May I come in?” the man asked.  Not waiting for a response, he entered and sat beside Kenshin.

“Kenshin,” Sanosuke began.  “Are you alright?”

Kenshin turned to him with a weak smile.  “Yes, just tired.”  He didn’t want to tell his friend that he couldn’t get his mind off Enishi.

“You know,” Sanosuke began.  “If you’re lonely, I understand.  I really do.”  

Kenshin stared at the floor.  He was lonely.  That was true.  Still, it seemed Sanosuke misunderstood his intentions with Enishi.  Or had he?

Sanosuke fidgeted, staring down at his lap.  Finally, he cleared his throat.  “If...if you need someone for companionship, I would...” his voice trailed off as he looked away.  His face heated.  He couldn’t believe what he’d just said.

Kenshin smiled softly.  “That’s not what that was about.  I owe Enishi.”  Why did he feel like a liar saying that?   “I took his sister’s life, so in return, I must try to make amends.  Tomoe would want me to watch over him.”  

Sanosuke smacked his palm against the floor, his eyes flashing angrily.  “That’s not right!  It was an accident!  You don’t owe him shit!” he pleaded with his friend.  “You don’t owe him anything!  You hear me?”  He scowled before adding, “Just wait until he shows his face around here.  I’m going to–”

”Sano,” Kenshin interrupted.  “That’s exactly what I want to prevent.  I don’t want him to attack the dojo.  I want to diffuse the situation before it gets to that point.  That’s what I was trying to do.”  

“But...” Sanosuke began, and then stopped.  That sure wasn’t what it sounded like was happening back at that ramshackle shack in the middle of nowhere.  A shudder ran through his body as he recalled the way his friend had sounded when at the mercy of Enishi—each wild moan from the normally reserved man.  In fact, he hadn’t stopped thinking about it since.

“I won’t let you go there again,” Sanosuke declared like a petulant child.  He knew he needed to tamp down his anger, yet struggled to do so.

“Don’t worry, Sano,” Kenshin reassured.  “Everything will work out.”

Sanosuke sighed.  He’d tried his best.  He stood up.  “Sleep well,” he said, before sliding the door shut behind him.  He paused for a moment outside the door, then bowed his head and slowly walked away.

Kenshin snuffed out his lantern and stretched out on his futon, staring up at the ceiling.  What to do?  He tried to ignore the unsettling feeling in his gut.  Did Tomoe want him to try to reach her brother one more time?  After all, technically, there were still five more days to change Enishi’s mind.  Unfortunately, if the expression on Enishi’s face was any indicator, the man would probably never go back to that place.  And Kenshin had no idea where the man was staying, and certainly no way of finding out.  He exhaled deeply.  Out of options.  His eyelids grew heavy.


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````


Tomoe walked through the darkness with her lantern, every so often turning to beckon Kenshin to follow.

“Where are we going?” he called after her.  A rush of wind through the trees was the only reply.  He hurried to keep up.

“What’s wrong?” he asked when she stopped and pointed to something.

He followed her gaze to the shack, illuminated beneath the moonlight.  He turned back to find Tomoe had disappeared.

Kenshin sat up with a start, breathless.  It was morning.  He felt energized.  Tomoe wanted him to go back one more time.

He quickly dressed and grabbed his sakabatou and slid it into place at his waist.  He paused outside his door and listened.  The others were already training.  He scurried off before anyone could see him go.

Unbeknownst to Kenshin, Sanosuke had seen him.  He ducked back into the dojo doorway and slammed his fist against the wall.  “Dammit!  If you just wanted to be fucked, why didn’t you say so!” he exploded.

A solid slap across Sanosuke’s cheek sent him reeling backward.  “What the?”

“Sanosuke!  I won’t tolerate that kind of talk about Miss Megumi!  Especially in my dojo!” Kaoru scolded, wagging her finger at him.  “Now get it together!  We have work to do!”

Sanosuke was too dumbfounded to reply.   


```````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````


The morning sunlight filtered through the canopy of clouds, stippling the trail and surrounding landscape as Kenshin hurried toward the run-down shack.  He doubted Enishi would be there, however, he had to try one last time.  That was what Tomoe wanted.  His pulse raced with nervous apprehension.  Without realizing it, he had increased his pace drastically.  So much, that he was nearly breathless when the shack came into sight.  He nearly jogged the remainder of the way.

Once there, he glanced inside.  He sighed with disappointment when he saw no sign of his brother-in-law.  Overcome with a strange sadness, he searched the immediate area for Enishi.  Unsuccessful, he reluctantly gave up.  Now they would have to fight at the dojo after all.  Maybe Enishi wouldn’t show up there either.  Why did the thought of never seeing Enishi again make him feel empty inside?

The trek back to the dojo seemed especially long as Kenshin pondered his next move.  He’d been right—Enishi wouldn’t return to that shack.  At least he’d tried one last time.  To fail both Tomoe and her beloved brother was a difficult pill to swallow.  There was nothing left to do but wait for Enishi’s attack on the dojo.  Then again, after Enishi’s odd expression and hasty departure the previous day, perhaps he’d been ruffled enough to have had a change of plans.  Kenshin’s heart stopped.  What if he attacked earlier?

As the Kamiya dojo came into view, he smiled faintly.  All of his friends were training so hard for the upcoming assault.  

“You’re back,” Sanosuke was the first to greet him with a sharp gaze.

Kenshin nodded.  “Just had to check on something.  All is well,” he tried to muster his typical cheery tone.   “You hungry?” he quickly changed the subject.

Sanosuke grinned.  “You know it!” he replied enthusiastically as he joined Kenshin’s side.  As much as Kenshin attempted to hide it, Sanosuke could tell Kenshin’s mind was elsewhere.

The afternoon passed in a blur and soon dusk was upon the Kamiya dojo.  Kenshin was busily cleaning up after the dinner he’d prepared for his friends.  Between laundry and meals, Kenshin had managed to keep his emotions in check all day.  Now, with his chores finished, his mind became fixated on Enishi again.

“Are you alright, Kenshin?” Kaoru asked before she headed for the dojo with Yahiko for one last training session for the night.

Kenshin smiled warmly.  “Yes, thank you.”

Sanosuke grabbed Kenshin’s shoulder and playfully shook him.  “We were just going to have some tea on the veranda.”

Kaoru let out a sigh of relief.  “Good.”  Then her eyes narrowed.  “You know, you really had me worried for a while, you big jerk!” she blurted as she smacked Kenshin on the head and stormed off.

“Oro?” Kenshin rubbed his head as he watched her and Yahiko walk toward the dojo, arguing the entire way.  These small familiarities with friends were of great comfort to him.  This is what he wanted for Enishi—a comfortable, peaceful life surrounded by people who cared about him.

“Come on,” Sanosuke beckoned Kenshin to follow him.  Instead of grabbing the tea leftover from dinner, he lifted the sake jug and gently shook it.  “Oh yeah, there’s plenty left,” he said mischievously.

Kenshin smiled.  Kaoru was going to kill them both.  He took a nearby lantern, lit it, and followed his friend to the veranda.  He sat beside Sanosuke and the man poured him a drink.  Sake was a relaxing way to end a long day.  No doubt another ritual he could blame on his master, Hiko Seijuro.

As he and Sanosuke talked of the impending battle at the dojo, Kenshin noticed Sanosuke becoming more agitated.  

“Is something wrong?” Kenshin asked his friend.

Sanosuke tossed back the remaining sake in his cup.  “Nope.  I was thinking that I can’t wait to use my Futae no Kiwami on Enishi’s balls.”  He poured another cup and downed it in one gulp, then filled another and another.

Kenshin’s eyes widened at Sanosuke’s words.  So, his friend was still troubled by the events of the previous day, and now he was drinking heavily.  Perhaps they should call it a night.  Kenshin finished his sake and set his cup aside, hoping his friend would do the same.

“Finished already?” Sanosuke blurted loudly.  “I’m just getting started!” he boasted.  When he lifted the jug, it slipped from his grasp and struck the ground, splattering alcohol onto his feet and lower legs.  “Shit.”

Kenshin picked up the jug.  It was nearly empty.  “I think we’ve had enough for tonight,” he said.

Sanosuke tried to take it from him.  Kenshin grasped his hand.  “I can get some tea instead,” he offered.  Sanosuke’s unusual behavior concerned him, but this was a stressful time for all of them.

Sanosuke clumsily turned his hand to clasp Kenshin’s.  He studied his friend for a few moments. The flicker of the lantern danced in his friend’s gentle gaze.  “Why him?” Sanosuke asked, his voice low, pained.  “Why that guy?”  He grimaced.  Why not me?

“Maybe we should go inside, Sano,” Kenshin spoke softly, setting the jug aside.  Feeling uneasy, he glanced around.  The warm night air seemed too still and the hair stood up on the back of his neck.  Though he saw nothing, he felt someone lurked there in the dark.

“You scared or something?” Sanosuke joked and threw his arm around Kenshin to pull him close to his side.  “Don’t worry, I can escort you to your room,” he added with a hearty laugh.  With a helpful hand from Kenshin, Sanosuke unsteadily stood up.  Kenshin grabbed the lantern before helping Sanosuke stagger into the house.  He could collect the jug and cups later.

Kenshin looked back one last time as they went inside.  Trepidation skittered down his spine as he gazed into the surrounding darkness.


``````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````


Enishi peeked out from his hiding spot.  Battousai’s voice echoed through the still night, followed by another male’s laughter—drunken laughter.  That guy!  Battousai was talking with that fucking Sanosuke guy again!  He tightened his fingers around the rope holding his sword.  Somebody was going to die!   Enishi contemplated charging the man that very second, until suddenly all went silent.

Fuck!  Enishi ducked back behind a tree.  Had Battousai seen him?  Enishi had been skulking near the dojo for hours until, under the cover of night, he’d snuck behind this tree, just inside the Kamiya Dojo front gate.  Nostrils flared and fists bunched, Enishi wondered what to do next.  His jaw quivered with rage.  He’d been stood up by his nemesis for this—laundry and cooking for some fucking obnoxious girl?  Or to have fucking sake with that imbecile, Sanosuke, who’d followed him around all evening like a fucking dog—never letting Battousai out of his sight?  

Well, he was not going to be made to look the fool!  Enishi had agonized and ultimately decided to give Battousai one more chance to make amends. He’d expected his nemesis would return to the shack to get his punishment.  However the swordsman was nowhere to be found!  Enishi had waited until late afternoon for that fucking coward to show up!  When he’d missed the last train to Yokohama for the day, he decided to pay Battousai a visit at this pathetic excuse for a dojo.   He wanted to see firsthand where Battousai resided with the weaklings he professed to be protecting.  He’d hoped to catch the man alone at some point, but never got the chance because Battousai was never alone for a single minute!  Instead, Enishi had witnessed a horrific scene of domestic Hell that made his skin crawl even now.

Enishi had watched his enemy cook, serve food, and hang laundry like that woman’s slave.  The whole scene infuriated him!  He would’ve never believed it, if he hadn’t seen it for himself!  This was what Battousai’s life had been relegated to?  The powerful assassin was a slave to that bossy girl!  Despicable!  She yelled at that Yahiko boy incessantly.  Enishi’s eyes narrowed.  And that Sanosuke guy was glued to Battousai’s side the entire evening.  Just what kind of relationship did he have with Battousai?  Enishi’s lips quivered as he fought to swallow back a dull ache in his throat.

To see Battousai interacting like a peasant with these people confused Enishi.  The man was pleasant and soft-spoken, even while doing all of the work that he did.  His smile was kind, and his face lit up with laughter.  Had Battousai changed this much?  And what was with that “Oro!” bullshit and that ridiculous expression on his face after that woman had hit him over the head?  Who the fuck had he been surrounding himself with to pick up on that?  Who WAS this man?  Was this all an act put on by this cruel murderer?  This had to be a ruse!  Enishi was the only person who knew the real Battousai; the brutal assassin!

Enishi watched until the last light went out in the house and dojo.  Now, more than ever he was going to find Battousai and yank him out of there if he had to!  This was going to end now!  He stepped out from his hiding spot.  Just then, the door slid open and someone stepped out.  He darted back behind the tree.  Battousai!

Kenshin stepped off the veranda and cautiously surveyed the area.  He crept toward the front gate.  “Enishi.  It’s you, isn’t it?” he whispered.

“Fuck this,” Enishi grumbled as he strode out from his hiding spot and quickly closed the distance between him and Kenshin.  

“You came,” Kenshin gasped with both shock and excitement.  There was no reply.

Without missing a step, Enishi yanked Kenshin off his feet with one arm and stalked off with the man draped over his right shoulder.  I’ll punish him, Tomoe…

“Nobody fucking stands me up!  Especially you, Battousai,” Enishi growled.


```````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````````````````


To be continued…


Author’s Note-  Please forgive me, but I think I’ll end the chapter here because the next part is pretty intense.  Thanks for continuing to read this story!  And thank you again for the reviews!