Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Alliance ❯ Specific obligations ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1

Fifteen years later. Edo Kingdom.

"What do you mean you have to go to Kyoto?" Misao asked Kaoru.

"The treaty my father made with the three bordering countries requires that I reaffirm the treaty upon his death."

"But a ruler leaving her country sounds kind of stupid to me. We are the only thing between them and the Empire. Why wouldn't they ally themselves with you?"

"Allying themselves means they also have to help us if we are attacked. The very reason they ally themselves is also the biggest danger."

"All this political stuff is so hard. So who are you going to visit first?"

"I think I will go see King Saitou first. He will be the meanest. I should go before I lose my nerve."

"Bad idea, I think," Misao said, looking at the map. "He's a traditionalist. He'll hate the fact you aren't married yet."

"I'm a Queen, new to the throne. Either he will have to accept that or not."

"Yes, but you know chauvinistic males. If his wife ruled you'd have a chance…but I don't think you'd even get an audience. Better visit King Sagara and King Hiko before him. If anything the backing of two other kings would give you an edge." Kaoru sighed.

"You're probably right. What would I do without you Misao?"

"Probably make some huge political mistake and lose your head," the young woman said with a giggle.

"So, who's first? King Sagara or King Hiko?" Misao thought for a second.

"Well, Prince Sanosuke is currently visiting King Hiko. If you went there you might be able to get him to put in a good word with his father. King Hiko and your father were close friends and Kyoto is the largest and oldest kingdom. King Saitou won't go against them because of his current treaty and King Sagara has a close alliance as well."

"Good thinking. There is a portal gate near the castle. From there I can ride to King Sagara."

"Do they all know you are a sorceress?"

"Of course. All the Kings knew my mother. They also know I am the only thing keeping the barrier around our country. Thus no one can kill me without serious repercussions."

"You'd think one of them would do that?"

"King Saitou likes no one…except maybe his wife. The empire wouldn't attack him out of sheer fear. If I was not an asset I would not put it past him to remove my head from my neck."

"Scary man," Misao said with a shiver. "Is it true he looks like a wolf?"

"Misao! I barely remember. I was ten when my father made the initial treaty."

"Pity he didn't put any marriage contact in it."

"MISAO!"

"Hey, you're a single Queen who has to rule the country bordering the Empire. You're only 25 Kaoru. You're not a god." Kaoru slumped down.

"I know. Just who are you trying to hook me up with?"

"Well Prince Sanosuke is single."

"The reason he spend time in Kyoto is because of the Duchess Megumi you twit. He was in love with her fifteen years ago and hasn't stopped."

"Stupid woman should not keep him dangling."

"Megumi is a very independent woman with all the wealth she could ask for. I don't think she intends to marry anytime soon."

"Well there is Prince Himura, Hiko's heir."

"Prince Himura was married fourteen years ago to Princess Tomoe."

"Yes…and she's been dead ten years."

"I do not want to be a replacement bride. The rumors said he was very much in love." Misao frowned.

"And yet they never say anything about how she died. They never had any kids either. If they were so in love you'd think they would have had like fifty brats."

"Himura was away a lot at war."

"Which war was that again?"

"Bakufuku. Hiko and Saitou had a little disagreement."

"And yet they both have a treaty with you?"

"Their treaty is with me, not with each other. There is an alliance for now. Saitou's wife came from Kyoto. I think he is reluctant to attack his wife's home."

"Good thing. When you visit, if you can meet her, ask her how they met and became married. I heard she's gorgeous. Why she would marry him is beyond me."

Kaoru laughed. Misao loved stories, especially romance stories.

"One day I hope some man sweeps you completely off your feet. You are a hopeless romantic. Here, I need this message sent to King Hiko to tell him of my intended arrival."

"Right away! I'll get Okina to send the fastest hawk!"

"Thank you, Misao. Before you come back up grab me a loaf of bread from the kitchen, will you?"

"Anything for my lady Queen," Misao said with a low bow.

"Lady Queen is going to throw her shoe at you if you don't hurry up!" Misao went sprinting out giggling madly.

Kaoru rested her head upon her hand and picked up the picture of her father. She drew a loving finger across it.

"I miss you daddy. I'll keep this kingdom safe. With or without the treaty."

The picture just smiled back. It wasn't the same.