Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Alliance ❯ Pertinent information ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2

Kyoto Kingdom

"You call, Shishou?" Prince Himura asked as he bowed before his king.

"Princess…or should I say, Queen Kamiya is coming to reaffirm the treaty I signed with her father fifteen years ago. I expect you to receive her as you would any friendly neighboring kingdom. Unless she is a completely witless girl I expect your signature on that treaty."

"You will not stay yourself?"

"You've been ruling this country well enough on your own. I just wanted to make sure you didn't make a stupid mistake."

"Why would I make a stupid mistake? I know we need this alliance."

"Do you?" Hiko said with a knowing smile. There was something he knew Kenshin did not. Kenshin hated that. Shishou would not tell him either. It was up to him to figure it out. "She will also need to make alliances with King Saitou and Sagara. It is most convenient for her to do that from here and not her own country. I expect you to be a proper host."

"Of course. She may stay as long as she likes."

"Then it's settled." The tall man got up, blending back into the shadows.

"How should I reach you if necessary?"

"The Queen will know how to reach me if need be. You should have no reason to contact me though. Try not to do anything stupid."

With that the King was gone. Kenshin rolled his eyes and left the small secretive room. A page boy was running by.

"You, get me Lord Aoshi and Prince Sanosuke."

"Yes, Your Majesty," the boy said, switched his direction and went sprinting down the hall. Amazing how page boys always knew where everyone was at any given time. Then again, Lord Aoshi was always at the practice grounds. Sano was either in the kitchen flirting with the maids or waiting for Lady Megumi to make her daily visit to the castle. Not difficult men to find.

So Queen Kamiya was coming to Kyoto for some damn treaty. Not that Hiko told him when she would show it. Kamiya. Kenshin remembered the late King. A huge man with black hair and an easy smile, but a hard hit with a practice blade. Kenshin remembered liking the man.

"Did I ever actually meet his daughter?" he mused. "Maybe Sanosuke knows her. I hope she's not a stuck up bitch."

Lord Aoshi stood straight as a rail while Sano leaned against a banister.

"Queen Kamiya is coming. I need extra security around the palace. A couple of ladies' maids would probably be good too. She's here to reaffirm the treaty her father made. The Empire will want her dead, no surprise. I want only the most trusted people allowed any access to her, understood?" Aoshi gave it a thoughtful look and nodded. He was head of security. No one would get in without him knowing about it.

"Jou-chan's comin for a visit huh?" Sano said merrily. "Maybe she'll make Megumi jealous."

"She's not here for a marriage contract, Sano. I'm sure she'll want to talk to you since your father is next on the treaty agreement."

"Yeah, quality time with the pretty queen."

"Oh good, you've met her. You can handle her amusement then, but don't do anything that would start a war." Sano laughed.

"Ya don't remember her?" Kenshin's amber eyes narrowed.

"Remember her? Did I meet her?"

"I doubt he remembers the women he met last week," Aoshi said.

"I remember every woman I've ever met," Sano said with a sigh. "Well, at least the pretty ones. Jou-chan's a looker too. Pity she always told me to keep my distance."

"Smart woman," Aoshi commented.

"Jou-chan's all business. She won't want to do anything fun."

"She can't sit in her room all day. Figure something out Sano. And nothing perverted. Goodness knows Megumi would have your head and then I'll have an angry Duchess at my throne. She's on the council. If she gets enough sway she could make it so you have to go home and nothing short of a law passed by Shishou would keep you here."

"Damn fox," Sano swore. "She ruins all my fun."

"When will the Queen arrive?" Aoshi asked.

"Unfortunately I have no idea."

Kaoru stood in the circle of bodyguards. It was midnight, a moonless night and they were all cloaked. Assassins had been sent after her. Being out in the open like this was very dangerous. Misao was already on the road with the decoy Queen and escort. She would be there in another two weeks. Meanwhile Kaoru would use the old portal gate which would take her past the dangerous mountain pass.

Kaoru began murmuring the old words. The words her mother left to her. Kaoru had no memory of her, but she remembered the spells passed down.

The gate opened with an eerie glow.

"Quickly, your majesty," the nearest bodyguard said. "Before they notice the gate is open." That was the problem with old magic. Everyone could feel old magic. It was like having a bonfire at the top of a mountain on a clear night. Any mage within two countries would feel what she'd done and if she kept it up long enough they'd be able to pin point it.

Kaoru quickly went through, two bodyguards following. They would be her escort. Kaoru's hand grasped the sword at her hip. It was the first time she'd worn it. Her father's sword was huge and heavy. How she would wield it was beyond her.

Kyoto was just as dark. The air was different. With a wave of her hand the gate closed behind her. Kyoto was old. Anyone could feel that. It was the only country to have never been taken over by the Empire. Everyone else came from various rebellions. Edo was the newest and the most vulnerable. Luckily none of her people, except Misao, knew just how fragile they really were. Until she had a child she was the only thing that kept the Empire from absorbing them.

The Empire. The place where demons ruled with cruel men and slavery was still common. Kaoru would not hand her people over without a fight.