Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Face Of The Past! ❯ Vengence ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2: Vengeance

I was walking towards back the shrine with my two comrades. I noticed I was being followed by some people.

“Will you be all right by yourself, Kagura-chan?” asked Kaenguma
“Yes, Thank you, this is far enough.” Replied Kagura
“We are being summoned by Higa-Sama.” Said Aida
“We will be seeing you shortly I assume?” asked Kaenguma
“Yes, but my duties of a priestess come first.” Said Kagura
“I don’t know why you keep on doing this stupid Akahani tradition.” Mumbled Aida
Smiling back I said, “Better get going or Higa-Sama will be angry with you.”

Nodding, the two men quickly left.
Sanouske was behind a tree, spying on the mysterious girl and the two men she was with.
“Just who the hell are these people?”
Wondered Sanouske
As soon as the two men left, I continued walking down the path that lead to the shrine that held the Sacred Jewel. Suddenly four men with weapons came out of the shadows.
“Who are you?” I said. Carefully watching their movements.
“Give us the Jewel.” Said a man
“Give it to us and we won’t have to hurt your pretty little head.” Said another man gripping his sword
So they are after the Jewel. Even Humans will want it for its power.  I thought.
The Jewel? Do they mean the Jewel of Four Souls?! Wondered Sanouske
Getting ready to unsheathe my sword, I replied, “Only those of pure heart can have it. You just want it for its power. You greedy bastards.”
“Oh? I guess that means no. Well then, I guess we’ll take it by force!” said a third man, taking out his dagger pointing it towards me.
“You think, I would be scared by the likes of you?” I said
“I wonder…” said a man who looked like the leader of the group.
Suddenly he appeared behind me, pulling my arms back making me unable to reach,  my sword.
“Now what do you think of us?” Said the fourth man
“Now hand us the Jewel!” said the second man.
I was struggling to break free, or at least enough so I could reach for my sword. But, the man holding me gripped on to me tightly.
“I still wouldn’t give it to you!” I shouted.
Just then a man came out punching one of the men who were after the jewel, knocking the man out unconscious.
Wow he is strong. Is he also after the jewel? I wondered.
Then another man after the jewel came up to him and cut him on the shoulder.
But, the strong man ignored the cut and punched him in the stomach.
I decided to help him. I attacked the man behind me and flipped him over on his back knocking him out.
Then I took out my sheathe and did a defense attack, and knocked out the other man after the jewel, leaving me and the strong man left.
“Guess you didn’t need my help after all.” Said the stranger.
“Are you after the jewel, as well?” I said while holding my sword
“No, No, you got all wrong…” said the man nervously.
“Oh?”
“I came to know more about the jewel…and uh….you…I guess.” He said
“Well then, I’ll lead you to the shrine where it is kept. And I’ll treat your wounds as well.” I replied.
Sanouske looks at his shoulder, noting that he was cut, but he hadn’t noticed it.
“I don’t need you to treat me, I’m Fine.” He said
“It’s the least I can do for you after you stopped those men for me.” I said smiling. As we were walking along the path that lead to the shrine.
“Ah, it was nothing, besides; I can’t stand it when men pick on women like that.”
I’m sorry I haven’t even introduced myself yet. My name is Kagura Kiyosota.”
“I’m Sanouske Sagara.” .
Just then we arrived at the toris, that was the entrance to the shrine.
“We are here.” I said leading him into a separate house from the shrine where the shikon jewel was kept.
He sat down on the floor next to a table.
“I’ll get some medicine and some water. You hungry?” I asked
“You really don’t have to do this you know.” Said Sanouske
“I know, but I am used to this kind of thing as a priestess I help people a lot.” I replied
I got herbs, and some bandages and sat them down on the table.
“So what do you want to know? I asked while cleaning his wound.
“First thing what is the power this jewel supposedly holds? And why hasn’t anyone used the jewel yet?” asked Sanouske.
I thought for a moment to explain this while I dressed his wound with a bandage and trying it off.
“perhaps I should tell you the story of how the jewel was created.
this takes place in the Heian era of Japan. The jewel was created by the battle of the great miko (priestess) Midoriko and a powerful yōkai, Magatsuhi. She was able to seize the souls of yōkai and purify them, this power coming from having a positive balance of the four souls within her heart, and in a time of many yōkai ravaging the earth those who possessed spiritual powers such as hers were considered to be as powerful as 100 samurai. Her spiritual power alone paled that of any other person alive, and it was said she could purify and destroy ten yōkai at once. Magatsuhi, her final adversary and the one that claimed her life, was created by many yōkai joined and anchored within the evil heart of a human who secretly lusted for her. After seven days and seven nights of fighting, Midoriko realized that she would be unable to fight off the yōkai, and as she was drawn into the creature's massive jaws, she seized Magatsuhi's spirit and bound it within her own with the last of her power, killing both of them and creating the Shikon Jewel, which burst from her chest. Within the jewel, her soul and Magatsuhi still battle on to this day.” I then took another deep breath and continued the story.
“Magatshui is the evil of the shikon jewel if corrupted the jewel is turned black.” Then I lead Sanouske to the building where the shikon jewel is kept.
The Jewel was hanging on a stand with the room filled with incense and candles.
“That’s it? That’s the jewel? It’s just a stone?” said Sanouske in disbelief that something so small could be so powerful.
“Yes it only appears to be a sphere that appears to be made of some sort of crystalline material prior to the accident that shattered it. When purified, the jewel is a soft pink to purple color, however the more tainted the soul and wishes of the person holding it, the more the color turns to a lurid black-violet.” I explained
“The jewel when in the hands of evil, the jewel can grant the person un imaginable power. It can make a weapon such as a sword stronger; bring a person back from the dead. Basically the person could become a god.
“Why hasn’t anyone claimed its power yet?” asked Sanouske
“It seems that the jewel posses people with its own power when in the hands of a person, it depends on the person’s heart. It has brought the person nothing but misery and destruction.
I guess you could say the jewel chooses the right person to grant their wish. But again it depends on the persons heart.”
“What do you mean it depends on the person’s heart?”
“Well, if a person means for evil for the jewel, the jewel would possess the person, although it would bring great power to the person in hands of the jewel, the person would eventually die from its own power. Many wars have been fought over the Jewel. Since its arrival, it has been nothing but chaos.” I said.
“I see. Why haven’t you tried to use its power?” asked Sanouske
“I am only to protect it and purify it. Nothing more.” I replied.
Sanouske couldn’t really understand the jewel, or believe in its power.
 Curiously, Sanouske asked, “If you could use its power, what would you wish for?”
I thought for a moment, finally I replied, “I would wish for peace among these lands.”
Huh, so She has a kind heart. Thought Sanouske
after a moment of silence Sanouske asked, “So, What’s your story? Do you have any family? And who were those two guys I saw you with?”
“Why you want to know about me?” I asked
“Well… My friend, Kenshin, back at the parade, he seemed to know you.” Said Sanouske
My eyes darkened as he mentioned Kenshin.
“So his name is Kenshin now is it?” I said looking down
“You know him?”
“Well, I guess you could say that I know him; although I knew him back then as Hitokiri Battousai.”
“ Huh? As in the man slayer?”
“Yes. You see he killed my brother. Akira Kiyosota.”
What? Why would Kenshin Kill an innocent man? Wondered Sanouske
“My parents are from a high class of Samurai. My brother , Akira recently was engaged to a girl of a similar status. My mother died when I was younger of an illness, and my father was off in the war. He came back and was later married. Apparently, my step-mother didn’t think much of me. So I left and lived with my brother. Then during the Baumatsu war my brother thought that if he became a hero his fiancé would love him even more so he did.. He joined the Mimawarigumi. He became a body guard  for Shogunate member Shigekura Jurobei.”
“What’s the Mimawarigumi?” asked Sanouske
“They are much like the Shinsengumi, they protect the imperial city Kyoto and the shogunate.” I explained.
“Anyway, My brother was on guard duty along with three others, he came across paths with Hitokiri battousai. Apparently the battousai was to kill other shogunate members and the shogunate themselves. The Battousai killed the two guards and Shigekura.”
“I knew the instant my brother had died. Ever since he died a part of me is empty because, we are twins, and we were very close.” I said finishing my sad story.
“But just because he did all those things then doesn’t mean he does them now. He’s changed, he’s a different person.” Said Sanouske, trying to defend his friend.
“That may be. But, he killed my brother, and committed an unforgivable sin. My brother deeply valued his life. But then Battousai took it away from him. He also took away his fiancés life too. The cross on his cheek is from the two. I promised them both I would avenge their death!” I said
“But you are just a priestess, how can you avenge their deaths?” said Sanouske
“I am more than a simple priestess.” I said while pulling out my sword.
“How do you know kenjutsu?”
“After my brother’s death I joined a group called the Kegai no Tami. They have kindly allowed me to serve them. The leader, Higa, taught me how to wield this sword. It may just look like an ordinary sword, but legend has it, it came from a demon’s fang. The blades pressure can cut an enemy to shreds. Higa, followed by three other members, are not ordinary men either. But that’s a different story.” I finished.
By the time I was done the sun was setting.
“So you just want revenge on your brother’s death. You shouldn’t spend your life on dwelling in the past. Don’t you believe in giving people a second chance?” Asked Sanouske
“Some people do deserve a second chance; but the battousai doesn’t deserve a second chance.
My brother loved and valued his life, he had a strong will to live. Not anymore.” I looked at Sanouske with my eyes filled with tears my fists enraged and yelled “I WILL KILL THE BATTOUSAI! NO MATTER WHAT!”
I was a little shocked about my sudden outbust, but that was how I truly felt about my brother’s revenge.
Then Sanouske sighed and looked at me with a serious face and said, “No matter who gets in your way?”
I looked at him narrowing my eyes, “Yes, no matter who gets in my way, I will also cut them down with this sword.”
“I guess…. There’s no stopping you. Is there?” asked Sanouske
“No there isn’t.” I replied
“Then… I won’t stop you nor take part in this fight.” Said Sanouske
Huh? He’s not going to fight me then?  I was a bit surprised because I thought I would have to fight him because he was Kenshin’s friend
“But… If you do kill him. I then myself will kill you with this hands.” Said Sanouske holding up his two fists.  
“Its getting late. It’ll soon be dark out; if you want you may spend the night. But if you decide to leave, know this: there are demons out at this time of night.” I said ignoring his comment earlier.
“uhhh… I think I’ll stay.” Said Sanouske
“You may sleep in the traveler’s room; it’s on the other side of this building.” I replied
 I gave him a blanket and lantern and headed back to the shrine where the jewel was kept.

Before, the jewel’s light what diminishing. It wasn’t because of me? Was it?
Because of the anger I have in my heart?
I wondered.
I calmed myself, and began a long night of purifying the jewel