Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ For The Sake of Imperfection ❯ Fill In The Blank ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

DISCLAIMER: The idea and characters of Rurouni Kenshin are the property of the great Watsuki Nobuhiro. I am simply borrowing the characters to torture them in agony for this fic.

For The Sake of Imperfection

by Scilja

Chapter Two - Fill In The Blank

Nothing was better in the world than being curled up in the comfortable warmth of a futon. Scratch that. There was one thing better, and it was the enjoyment of living out a fantasy through your dream.

Kaoru sat on the porch, leaning against one of the pillars while admiring the dance of Sakura petals before her. Approaching footsteps fell on deaf ears; only until Kenshin took a seat next to her did she notice his presence.

Admiring the way the sunlight golden-laced through his crimson hair, she was given a touching smile; in his hand, he held a full Sakura blossom.

He leaned forward until their faces were mere inches away from each other. Her breath hitched in her throat as he gingerly wove the flower into her hair.

"Kaoru," his breath playfully teased her lips.

Whoa, she was already falling from his presence. A heady sensation filled her mind as his unique scent of musk and spice overcame her senses. Her heartbeat thundered against her chest and reverberated through her ears.

Yes! Kiss me! Come on, Kenshin, do it! Put me out of this misery!

Instead, he lifted her hand and ran butterfly kisses against her knuckles.

Okay, so it wasn't what she had in mind, but it was getting there.

He released her hand and traced the outline of her jaw and neck. Her nerves shook in anticipation.

Hurry, Kenshin!

He shortened the distance between them, his lips not fully pressed against hers, only hovering above. "Kaoru…"

That does it! If you want something done, you have to do it yourself.

Impatiently, she roughly grabbed the front of his gi to finally close the gap between them and earn her reward.

"HEY, busu! Let go of me!"

Kaoru's lids flew open at the riled tone. Why weren't Kenshin's lips on hers? After a few seconds of fuzzy images, her eyes adjusted to the familiar face of her student.

Both hands continued its grasp as Kaoru gradually shifted from dazed to irritation, "Yahiko?!" She shoved him with a force that almost made him topple backwards. "What are you doing here?"

The eleven-year old patted his gi and scoffed haughtily, "Geez, busu, you're getting lazier everyday! You were sleeping long enough. No wonder you're the adjutant and not head master!"

He ignored the fire that burned in her eyes by placing hands unto hips with his face scrunched in distaste, "You were making wierd noises so I just had to come and see what was going on. Well, now I see that it was just you being your everyday idiotic self."

"I could say the same thing for you!"

Yahiko wisely made his leave before Kaoru could do him any harm. He couldn't resist poking his head back in with a full-fledged smirk, "Oh, by the way, nice kiss of air, busu."

Instinctive reflexes helped him dodge a tabi as he scampered out to the doorway howling with laughter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, the sky was blue, and the laundry was dry.

What a fantastic way to start the day.

Humming a nameless tune, the red-head began to take the clothes down from its high perch.

"Kenshin, what are you doing?"

He turned his head to see Sanosuke ambling towards him, trademark fishbone hanging from his mouth. "Good morning, Sano, I'm taking the laundry down, of course."

"Why?"

Kenshin gave Sano a look as if he had told him that red bandanas were the hottest thing around. "Because it's dry, de gozaru yo."

"I knew this would happen," the taller man muttered silently, followed by a shouted, "Idiot!"

"Oro! What for? Sessha didn't do anything!"

"Exactly, Kenshin!" Sano smacked his own forehead. "Geez, you're one hopeless case."

That made Kenshin frown, "Sano, I find it bothersome with the name-calling, de gozaru, unless you have a reason for insulting me."

"You bet it's a good reason, Kenshin!" his friend snapped, "I expected to see some kissing going on around here, but instead, I see you doing the laundry!"

The remark peeved him, "Well, sorry for being helpful."

"I'm trying to help you out here, okay?"

That got his attention, "Help? What do I need help for?"

A bandaged hand went into a pocket, "With 'Jou-chan, what else!" Sano was starting to think Kenshin had a habit of making the simplest things complicated involuntarily. Although the swordsman was one of the cleverest and most tactile, perhaps he gave him a wee bit too much credit.

"Oro! Sano, nothing is wrong with me and Kaoru-dono!"

"Yes, there is, Kenshin!" the hand came out from the pocket to flay widely, "And it's getting overbearing seeing the two of you flit around. Do you have any idea how heavy the sexual tension has grown between the both of you?"

Kenshin's face took on a hue that outdid that of his gi. He did not recall making it seem obvious. As far as he knew, he and Kaoru remained on nothing more than amiable terms. Hastily, he sputtered, "SANO! That's not true!"

"Hell, yeah, it's very true! You always have this stupid smile on your face, worse than that usual dumb grin you always have. How many times I've caught the both of you staring at each other without letting the other person know. And the blushing happens almost every second! You could beat a tomato for crying out loud!"

A mix of annoyance and anger, "Sano…"

Sanosuke boldly continued, "You know I'm right. Just admit it, Kenshin, it won't kill you. I mean, wasn't it the same with Tomoe?"

Kenshin slackened at remembrance of his first wife, the link with the cross sword scar on his left cheek. A hand unconsciously made its way to the old wound, "No, Sano, it was not the same with Tomoe." The hand dropped to his side, "Our marriage was not a proper one. We just somehow ended up together by odd consequence. Tomoe was different. She could never take Kaoru's place."

He cast a sideway glance, "Tomoe was fine and sophisticated. Demure, soft-spoken, and elegant. It seems like a twist of destiny, but we found a way to compensate each other. She gave me a glimpse of the other side of life, out of the battles and blood.

"But Kaoru, she is different as well," his face softened, "she draws me with her light. Refreshing and full of vigor, she enraptures me. She makes me feel complete. She is my world, my heart, my breath…my everything."

Eyes widened, Kenshin fell forward with an "Oro!" from the hard slap on his back, "That's it, buddy!" Sanosuke chuckled, "And see? It didn't kill 'ya!"

He winced, rubbing his aching back, "But it hurt."

"Okay, now on to more important matters," Sano pressed, "do you know what week this is?"

Kenshin gave a questioning look, "It's the first day of August, de gozaru."

"And?" Sano urged.

"Late summer?"

Sano raised a brow.

"Free cake week?"

Sano growled.

"Tanabata?"

Sano nodded, "You're not as dumb as I thought."

"Sano!"

A hand waved it off, "Anyway, Kenshin, it's clear you haven't done anything yet otherwise you wouldn't be out here doing your womanly chores."

"They are not womanly, de gozaru," he retorted harshly.

"Which brings us to the first step to becoming a man!"

Downright stupefied, Kenshin could only stare at Sano in disbelief, "Wh-what?!"

His hand formed a determined fist, "'Jou-chan isn't going to date Kenshin the cleaning maid! She's going to date Kenshin the man! So we're going to have to fix you up!"

The trapped rurouni stuttered, "We?"

"That's right! Don't worry, Kenshin, 'Jou-chan will be drooling all over ya after you've gone through the Sagara Experience!" He proudly thumped a fist against his arched chest. "For starters, the top of the list is your looks."

"But I like the way I dress!"

"Kenshin, it's about time somebody told you that pink isn't meant to be a masculine color."

He gripped the fabric of the well-worn gi, "It's not pink, de gozaru!"

"Fine, purple then, in any case, that is such an eye-sore," Sano drawled. "So next thing tomorrow morning, we're getting you some new studs."

The former rurouni was taken back, "Tomorrow?"

A scowl came on the fighter's features, "Kenshin, it's getting really annoying to hear you repeat everything I say. And yes, tomorrow, you have little time left until Tanabata. It's the perfect time to act!"

Kenshin felt his temples throb with a nearing migraine.

"And we'll have to do something about your weird speech patterns."

"Weird?!"

"Yeah, the 'oro' and 'de gozaru' isn't too bad, and it was damn good you got rid of 'sessha' 'cause that could drive anyone insane. The '-dono' we'll have to work on."

Kenshin looked ready to faint.

Turning on his heel, he gestured off-handedly, "Take it easy for now, tomorrow will be a big day."

Kenshin couldn't help but feel like this was another one of fate's plan to torture him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I'm going to the market to buy some tofu, Kenshin!"

He turned but did not pause from hanging a gi, "Kaoru-dono, I could go with you in a few minutes. The laundry is almost done, de gozaru."

Her ponytail swayed with the furious shaking of her head, "No, thanks, Kenshin, that's alright," before he could say anymore, she bounded to the gates, "I'll be back soon!"

Without the unnerving company of the samurai, she would have some time to sort out her thoughts. She also chose to take the longer route.

Kaoru bit her lip uneasily.

She was just about ready to set off to the market when, by accident, stumbled into the conversation between Kenshin and Sano. Yes, it was rude to eavesdrop, hide behind the door, and listen in. Blame it on her curiosity.

Kenshin was talking about Tomoe. The subject of the woman from his past hadn't come up in quite a long time. The last time she was mentioned was during Enishi's Jinchuu. When she was brought up, Kaoru felt her heart crumble to the floor and did not stay around to listen to the rest.

Yukishiro Tomoe was different. Kenshin made that perfectly known.

Tomoe was fine.

Kaoru examined her hands. Years of training earned her far more strength compared to most women. That brought her to be rough.

Tomoe was sophisticated.

Clumsy and violent was her middle name.

Tomoe was demure.

Heck, she could be mistaken for a boy if she didn't have feminine body parts.

Tomoe was soft-spoken.

Everyone in Japan has heard her voice one time or another.

Tomoe was elegant.

She was a lanky, sweaty, tomboy.

Of all the women she had to face up with it had to be someone perfect.

Was that the kind of woman Kenshin looked for?

Without question, Tomoe had to be beautiful.

Kaoru stopped by at a large window to scrutinize her reflection. Tomoe's hair was probably as well-kept as she was distinguished. Her hair looked like it had been trampled, the ends fringed. It was long since she had been to a stylist and now she was paying for the damage.

Her ivory skin was flawless. Point there.

The outline of her face was neither angular nor off-putting. Give a point.

She didn't have flaring nostrils and a high bridge for a nose. Another point there.

Kaoru tilted her head. Blue eyes, pretty exotic for a Japanese, along with thick, dark lashes to frame it. Extra point there.

She puckered her lips. They were desirable. Triple points there.

Her figure, with Tae's constant warning to dreaded pounds as well as constant activity from kenjutsu, was well-maintained. During her walks in the market, she had been the eye of a few on-lookers so she knew her form had some appeal.

Her height was decent. Not too tall to intimidate a man, not too short to feel towered by others. Point.

So what was the problem?

The tanuki persona.

It was a rather farfetched idea, but it did somewhat explain why Kenshin had not sent any signs to her.

The new objective: to live up to the "-dono" Kenshin always pinned her name to.

As if pulled by an invisible force, she brought her gaze down to her chest.

They could be fuller.

She quickly raised head to prevent herself from being caught staring at her own breasts. Maybe there was something in the market that could increase bust size.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Himura-san! Himura-san!"

Kenshin swiveled his head around to find the owner of the voice. "Souchou-dono." He continued to keep close ties with the police force in order to be well-informed of threats to the new era. When trouble came, Kenshin was always ready to end it.

"Himura-san," the chief of police beckoned him over with a friendly wave.

Letting the broom lean against the wall, Kenshin walked to the fence, "Good evening, Souchou-dono, how can I help you?"

The uniformed man shifted his glasses with a chuckle, "Nothing for me, Himura-san, but for you." In his hand, he produced a box. "Here."

"Oro!" Kenshin grunted in surprise at the unexpected heavy impact, he staggered back and forth to regain balance. Recognizing the government stamp on it, he sucked in a breath, "Souchou-dono, I can't -"

The chief lightly pushed at the box, "Himura-san, I am expected to return empty-handed."

Kenshin shook his head, "No, Souchou-dono, I am rewarded well enough to see people live peacefully in this era."

His hand moved forward, "Consider it a token of gratitude from Japan. Say what you will, Himura-san, but you did a great deal being Japan's savior many times." His smile sincere, "We would not be what it is today if it weren't for you."

Knowing the chief of police would be nothing but persistent, he sighed resignedly, the corner of his lips tilted upwards. With a single nod, Kenshin wordlessly received the envelope. The police chief exhaled in relief, glad it didn't take as much effort as previous attempts to give to the humble man.

"Is there anything else?"

"That is all," he tipped his hat, eyes smiling into arched slits, "be well."

Kenshin bowed, "Thank you, Souchou-dono."

"No, Himura-san," hand folded across his chest, the chief bent from the waist in a deep bow of reverence, "thank you."

After the visitor made his depart, Kenshin went to store the box in his room, a bit aberrant with the large amount in hand. At the same time, the bright, multi-colored dome of the parasol bobbed over the wooden fence, indicating that Kaoru returned from the market.

"I'm home, Kenshin!"

"Welcome back, Kaoru-dono."

He knew how he was going to make it up to her.

TBC…

·ENDNOTES



· GLOSSARY

-chan - honorific that applies to friends (commonly used around females) or an affectionate term

-san - honorific similar to "Miss/Mr./Ms."

jinchuu - a play on words from "tenchuu" which means "the heavens will pass judgement" - basically means "Even if the heavens don't punish him"; Enishi, Tomoe's younger brother, who met Kenshin during the Bakumatsu and blamed him for taking away his sister's happiness, came back years later to plant his revenge. This plotline not found in the anime, only in the manga.

'jou-chan - "ojou-chan/ojou-san" meaning "little miss" or an affectionate "miss"; applies to young ladies, this is what Sano calls Kaoru by

samurai - a swordsman

sakura - cherry blossoms

souchou - chief

tabi - a shoe similar to a sandal

tanuki - Kaoru's title as a resemblance to a racoon