Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ For The Sake of Imperfection ❯ Beneath All Its Grandeur ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

DISCLAIMER:  The idea and characters of Rurouni Kenshin are the property of the great Watsuki Nobuhiro.  I am simply borrowing the characters to torture them in agony for this fic. 

 

For The Sake of Imperfection

 

by Scilja

 

 

Chapter Three - Beneath All Its Grandeur

 

Kaoru removed her shoes and set it to the side as was the appropriate etiquette.  Smoothing the wrinkles out of her kimono, she took a deep breath and entered the waiting room of the Hoshiko Tea House.

 

Outside, the structure stood proudly with its white foundation and deep red pillars and roofs.  Inside was just as majestic, with the back shoji giving an enticing view of the lush vibrant gardens that surrounded the area.  The place was cleaned to shine. 

 

All tea ceremonies had one thing in common: every single action took a great amount of painstaking refinement and utter grace.

 

This was where she would learn to be refined and sophisticated.

 

A woman in her early twenties dressed in a purple kimono and gold obi appeared before her.  Her hair was done in an elaborate style.  She greeted with a bow, in return, Kaoru did the same. 

 

"Welcome, I am Naiyu," her smile could have any man on his knees, "you must be Kamiya-san.  Menori-san is waiting for you in the tea room."  With perfect elegance, she extended a hand towards one of the hallways, "This way, if you please, Kamiya-san."

 

Naiyu led Kaoru into a wide room that was as pristine as the other rooms of the building.  The window was opened widely to allow a burst of sunlight.  A scroll painting hung on the wall.  Two flowers rested in a single vase on a low table.  It was a very simple room, but at the same time, it brought a sense of serenity and peace.

 

The shoji door opened to reveal a woman wearing a pearl-white kimono with a navy silk obi around her waist.  Ornamental chopsticks held her bun in place.  She carried a tray of utensils which Kaoru presumed to be what her lesson would include. 

 

She smiled at once upon noticing of Kaoru, "Ah!  Kamiya-san!  Welcome!  Welcome!"  With a nod of gratitude at Naiyu, Kaoru and Menori became the only two occupants in the room.

 

Menori placed the tray on the floor and walked forward to embrace the younger woman, "It's been a long time, Kaoru-san!"  She held her at arms length, "You look absolutely gorgeous!"

 

Kaoru laughed at her exuberance, "Thank you, Menori-san, but it is you who with the beauty."

 

"Still modest!" she let out a pleased sigh.  "And how is that handsome red-head of yours?" 

 

"Mou, same as ever, Menori-san," Kaoru complained, causing the older woman to giggle.

 

"Ah, but that is what today is for, right? Come, come, let us begin, you have much to learn."  Her voice held a soothing tone, trained to calm the atmosphere.

 

Moving to the centre of the room, they both lowered to kneeling positions.  Kaoru could hear the soothing run of a small stream easing her worries away.

 

"The main purpose of the tea ceremony, Kaoru-san, reflects on the four principles of Harmony, Respect, Purity, and Tranquility.  Harmony with other people and nature, Respect with and for others, Purity of the mind and senses, and Tranquility for a peace of mind and appreciation of nature."

 

Kaoru decided that Aoshi should live here.  Or even better, he should run a tea house.  He certainly had the patience and muteness for it.  Oh, she could just see him now.  The trench coat replaced with a yukata.  Aoshi prepping up flowers.  Aoshi and zen.  Aoshi flitting this way and that.  It's a riot!

 

"Notice that this room, Kaoru-san, requires very little to decorate."  Kaoru nodded in agreement.  "In the tea house, it is a cleansing of mind and body, leaving the troubles of the physical world and to revel in the beauty of simplicity itself."

 

She held in a sigh.  Now if only her life could be like that.

 

Menori lifted a hand towards the scroll painting of the crane that hung on the wall.  "Scroll works provide the theme of the ceremony, whether it is a painting or a word."  Kaoru was given a blank scroll and a brush already submerged a bottle of ink.  "Alright, Kaoru-san, show me your calligraphy."

 

Her mind already conjured up what she wanted.  She carefully dipped the brush into the black ink and stroked against the parchment.  Finally pleased with the outcome, she motioned for Menori to look at her work.

 

The woman's head nodded in approval, "Heart," a faint smile graced her mouth.  "Wonderful, Kaoru-san, you are skilled in handwriting.  Good arches and lines.  You have a steady hand, but that's only natural for a shihondai."

 

Seldom praised for practicing kenjutsu, Kaoru blushed, "Thank you, Menori-san."

 

The scroll was put away and replaced with two vases plus an assortment of flowers in a basket.

 

Of course!  Flowers would be her answer to a proper lady-like fashion!

 

"Ikebana, the art of flower arrangement," she lifted a single white orchid.  "Many misunderstand the complexity of this art, Kaoru-san.  If done properly, it will surely bring a very pleasant view to a dull background."

 

Menori picked up the white ceramic vase, "The way of the flowers is based crucially on the container used and the surrounding space.  The background is always plain so a balance is achieved between the flowers and the vase."  She rotated the orchid in her hand to point the stem upwards, "Observe, Kaoru-san, that the stem is well-cut and the flower washed.  It is to be cut under running water either early in the morning or evening because that is when flowers retain most of their water."

 

The orchid was placed into the vase along with a strand of baby's breath.  Kaoru watched intently at the nimble hands that carefully positioned the two plants in the desired position.  Finished, Menori placed it on the table, undeniably bringing a new sense of harmony to the formerly monotonous area.

 

Hands folded in front of her lap, Menori gave heed to Kaoru, "Now you try."

 

Okay, Kaoru.  Deep breath.  Do not screw up at all costs.  This will make it or break it.   

 

Slowly and with extreme care, Kaoru took a goldenrod and lavender from the basket and proceeded to "accessorize". 

 

Menori lifted a hand to her lips, "Oh, dear…"

 

The petals became bruised from the inexperienced touching of her hands.  Already the stems were drooping around the vase.

 

"Ah," Kaoru's lips tightened, "I guess that didn't work."

 

"Try again, Kaoru-san."

 

The vase emptied again.  Kaoru opted for a red snapdragon, reminded of a certain man at the name of the flower.  'I hope I have luck with this one.'

 

As if attracted to gravity, the flower drooped even lower.

 

'I'm so screwed.' 

 

Her teacher giggled softly behind a graceful hand, "That's alright, Kaoru-san, it takes a long time to perfect this difficult art.  I say to stay with the scroll."

 

A tinge of disappointment welled inside but Kaoru complied nonetheless. 

 

"Alright, let's move on to the main ceremony."

 

She put forth a small platter filled with a variety of sweets and cakes.  "The serving of treats introduces the start of the tea ceremony.  They are eaten from a kaichi," between two fingers held a piece of paper.

 

Sweet heavenly candy!  Kaoru immediately stilled her distracting hand that was on its way to grabbing one of the treats.  Control, summon control.  It had been too long that she had satiated her sweet tooth. 

 

Breathe, Kaoru, breathe. 

 

Her tongue could taste the imaginary sweetness.  The sugary tingle.  The rush of pure bliss.  Free yourself from temptation, Kaoru! 

 

"Ow," She bit down her tongue none too harshly. 

 

"Oh, Kaoru-san, are you alright?"

 

"Yes."  But since her tongue throbbed from the jabbing, it sounded more like a "Thess".

 

Then Menori reached for the tray that was earlier set aside and placed it next to Kaoru.  "You can follow me with your own set, Kaoru-san."

 

Her eyes roved over the many utensils that lay before her. 

 

She felt a headache coming on.

 

-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

 

Yahiko hopped on one foot in a hurry to put his shoes on, "See 'ya, Kenshin!"  The quickly disappearing form of his figure waved, "I'm off to the Akabeko!"

 

Kenshin turned his head from putting away dishes, "Okay, Yahiko."

 

Kaoru had left early to meet with one of her old friends she had bumped into the marketplace yesterday.  She left out the destination of her trip.  The abruptness of her leave confused him.  The excursion was a tad overdone with the extra added amount of animated gestures.  Even her words hid an indescribable pitch.

 

Something was definitely amiss. 

 

He sighed.  His beloved was going to make him age quicker with all the deep thinking she put him through.

 

"Kenshin!"

 

His head swiveled to the figure that stood just outside the kitchen.  "Sano, good morning."

 

The tall man sauntered in and rolled his eyes, "I've been calling you for the past five minutes."  A wily grin crept unto his face, "'Jou-chan filling your thoughts, huh?"

 

Kenshin bristled, "Sano -"

 

"Lighten up, Kenshin," he leaned against the doorjamb, "keep thinking that way and you might surprise Aoshi."  Sanosuke turned on his heel, "Let's go."

 

"Oro?" He came out of the kitchen in bewilderment.  Truly, he thought Sano wanted breakfast, as was his usual appearance at the dojo.  He knew quite a few strange people.

 

"Would you like breakfast, Sano?"

 

"Already ate."

 

That shocked him, "How?" 

 

Sanosuke raised a brow at the surprised expression, "Stopped by kitsune's for a checkup and a meal."

 

He should have known.

 

They stopped in the middle of the room.  "Sit, Kenshin." 

 

Ah, first he was Kenshin the maid, then Kenshin the laundry washer, and now Kenshin the dog.  Life is sweet. 

 

"Now, listen," his posture became almost professional-like, "the first step to becoming a real man is to look like one."

 

Ooh, that's right.  Today was the consequence for having sold his soul away.

 

"We're gonna have to change that hair."

 

Both hands flew to the ponytail in fear, "My hair?!"

 

"Yeah, it's too…" he tapped his chin in thought, "pretty."

 

His hold tightened on the red tresses.

 

"It's gotta be suave, but casual.  Tame, but wild.  Like mine," he pointed to the disarray of brown hair, "catch my drift?"

 

"Uh…no, I don't really want to, Sano."

 

A smack resounded when a closed fist hit an open palm, "Kenshin, this is to save your lack of a love life, remember?" 

 

"So it's not the same for you with Megumi-dono?" his words snapped a bit tersely but his hair was on the line!

 

Sano rose from his position on the floor and moved to sit behind Kenshin.  "That is my problem.  Right now, I'm helping with yours."

 

There was a frantic "ORO!" when Sano ripped the tie that held the mass of red hair bound together.  "Sano!" Kenshin's hands flailed to make a grab for the tie, "What are you doing, de gozaru!"

 

His shoulders were pushed down into forced submission, "Relax, Kenshin, we're going to cut it."

 

Kenshin nearly yelped at the sight of the knife Sano produced in one hand, no doubt one he had swiped from the kitchen.  "S-Sano!  There is no way I am going to let you cut my hair, de gozaru yo!"

 

"It's only going to take a short while, Kenshin.  Don't tell me you and 'Jou-chan are competing for longest hair."

 

He shirked away, pointing dubiously at the sharp object, "With a knife?!"

 

Sanosuke merely shrugged, "Same thing."

 

"I don't think so, Sano!"

 

"I got a friend for a barber, not that I need to fix the Sagara look," with Kenshin facing forward, Sanosuke didn't see the roll of his eyes, "I pick up things pretty fast, you know."

 

Stubbornly, Kenshin pushed against it, "No, Sano, and that's final."

 

His friend scowled, "Kenshin, don't be childish."

 

"Sano, don't be stupid," he mimicked.

 

"Kenshin -"

 

Click.

 

The intimidating sound of a sword hilt unsheathing forced Sano to fall back with a compliant groan.  "Fine, Kenshin!  Geez, it's like you were married to your hair or something."

 

When the amethyst orbs flashed gold, he knew that went too far.  "Easy, Kenshin!  Okay, we'll just have to change the style then."  The amber disappeared.  Sano could not be more relieved.  Determined, he pulled the sleeves of his shirt were past his elbows, "Now, how should we do this?"

 

He advanced and Kenshin likewise inched back.  No one touched his hair.  No one but him or the future hands of Kaoru-dono in the throes of passion.

 

Sano jerked back the shuffling red-head.  "Be still, Kenshin!  This is for 'Jou-chan, remember!"

 

Kenshin made his discomfort known by squirming and fidgeting endlessly.  The fact that Sano was experimenting with his hair was highly strange and not to mention terribly startling.  There are times in life where doing nothing seemed to be the best choice.  This was one of those moments.

 

Minutes later, Kenshin hesitantly lifted a hand and touched the new hair, "Braids?"  The swish of his hair would be replaced by a whip-like notion.  "Misao-dono is more suited for this kind of style, de gozaru."

 

And so, Sano set off for a different form. 

 

Kenshin could only groan mutely.  From a hard tug, he winced and clenched his teeth, hoping that it would end very soon.

 

"How about that?"

 

He looked at his reflection from the mirror placed in front of him.  "Oro, Sano, the pigtails are for Suzume-chan."

 

Sano huffed.  In a snap, the two pigtails were gone and red hair was viciously pulled, twisted, and yanked in every direction.

 

Several hairstyles, complaints, pain and rejections later…

 

"Okay, Kenshin!  That's all I've got!  You have not agreed to any of it!  It would be easier to just cut your hair," Sano got up and dragged a weary hand down his face.

 

His neck felt sore from all the movements Sano let him endure.  For the last time, Kenshin gazed into the mirror, and eyes quickly widened at the sight. 

 

"Damn, de gozaru…" he mumbled.

 

"Well?"

 

Battousai stared back at him.  Indeed, Sano had unknowingly revived the appearance of the former hitokiri by gathering his hair into a high ponytail. 

 

Sano mistook Kenshin's stunned silence for appreciation, "Pretty good, huh?"

 

Kenshin could just envision the history come back to life.  Not wanting to break Sano's pride, he lowered the ponytail into the usual low one everyone acquainted the rurouni for.  He need not know it was the facade of the Bakumatsu assassin.  "I will get back to it, de gozaru."

 

Throwing his hands in the air, Sano stood up and shoved his hands into his pockets.  "Finally!"  He craned his neck to the side to stretch out the kinks, "Now let's go," and a very reluctant Kenshin was dragged out to the streets.

 

-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

 

Menori returned from an adjacent room with a scuttle and hearth.  A kettle and a waste water bowl had recently been added to the group of materials.  She resumed a kneeling position on the tatami.  "In preparation for the ceremony, there is harmony between the water and the fire, yin and yang.  Put together, they create the tea that purifies the mind and body." 

 

 'No wonder Mr. High-and-Mighty drinks tea like it was water', Kaoru thought.  He must have something to keep him sane, with girl-chasing Okina and hollering Misao-chan, he practically lived in a nuthouse.

 

Menori tapped a bowl of damp ash near the hearth.  "First, Kaoru-san, we must prepare the hot water."  Taking some charcoal from the scuttle, it was dropped into the hearth.  In seconds, the charcoals lit a bright orange hue.  "Sprinkle the ashes around the edges of the burning charcoal to make the fire grow."  After it was demonstrated, a healthy flame formed.

 

The kettle, already filled with water, was placed on top of the charcoal fire to boil.  Picking up a fine, silk cloth, she hinted for Kaoru to do likewise.  "Next is to clean the tea bowl and the scoop," her strokes were fine and careful, "it requires a deep level of concentration and inspection.  When done well, it will show how spirited and well-focused you are…" 

 

Minutes passed and still they were wiping the bowl.  Kaoru vaguely wondered if there was a possibility to outdo the state of the already more than spotless object. 

 

Kaoru gave an inward yawn, 'This is so boring,' she mused.  This was nothing like the excitement and vigor of the dojo.  The thrill of action itched within her and she suddenly felt nostalgic.  Tea was taking much too long and required way too many rules.  Who ever turned the simple act joining water and tea leaves into something more arduous had to be a sadist.

 

It was then that she realized that during her musings, Menori had long stopped wiping the bowl and held a smaller bowl in her hand, waiting in silence for her student.  Flustered, Kaoru hastily eased the bowl down and picked up a bowl similar to one she held. 

 

"Kaoru-san, watch me carefully and follow as best as you can."

 

Menori poured hot water into the tea bowl and rinsed a whisk.  Afterwards, the water was dispensed into the waste water ceramic.   Transferring to the tea container which held the tea powder, three scoops of the powder were placed into the tea bowl.  She retrieved hot water from the kettle using a bamboo ladle and poured it into the bowl.  The blend was mixed with the whisk to create a paste. 

 

"And there you have it," she lifted the tea bowl for Kaoru to see, the green liquid swirled in a hypnotizing impression.

 

Kaoru mournfully looked at her own tea bowl.  The paste was almost as thick as mud. 

 

Menori hid a smile behind a dainty hand, "Ah, Kaoru-san, looks like you overdid it a little."

 

"Just a little," she said under her breath.  From this day forward, tea is torture.

 

She patted her hand gently, "With practice, Kaoru-san, you will have him asking for more than tea." 

 

"Menori-san!"  Kaoru's face reddened.   

 

The fire was simmered from the hearth.  "You did well, Kaoru-san.  I am pleased to introduce you to the serene ritual of tea," she put forward two hands on the tatami and touched her head to the floor. 

 

"Thank you, Menori-san, for being patient with me," Kaoru repeated the bow.  Thank god that was over.  Her hands and knees were beginning to cramp.

 

"If it isn't too much, Kaoru-san, would you please help me store these away?"

 

"Certainly," Kaoru placed the utensils on the tray while Menori carried the kettle off to empty the hot water. 

 

Menori called out from the room, "Kaoru-san, could you kindly bring the scuttle and hearth over to me?"

 

She moved to the objects but hit the tea bowl along the way.  Kaoru cried out in pain when hot liquid scalded her hand and flinched in reaction that she knocked over the bowl of ashes into the hearth. 

 

Menori came rushing out, "Kaoru-san, are you al - Eeyah!"

 

Both women jumped back at the huge flame that burst through. 

 

Kaoru panicked, her head whipping around to find what she could use to extinguish the fire.  But with all the head-turning, her hair found its way into the flames.  She hopped around at a frantic rate with her hair ablaze.

 

Her frenzied dance came to a sharp halt when Menori deftly grabbed her flailing ponytail in midair and doused it with water from the bowl. 

 

Kaoru breathed heavily. Tentatively, she patted her head to make sure there were still tresses in place.  She slowly brought her ponytail in front of her.  Unshed tears glistened in her suddenly saucer-like eyes at the sight of the frayed ends. 

 

"Oh, my, Kaoru-san," Menori rubbed the back of the younger woman consolingly, knowing how very important hair was to a woman, "at least it was only a little."

 

"Y-yes," she managed to squeak.  Three inches of her pride and joy brutally taken.  'Why…why me?!'  "If it weren't for you…" she squinted hard at the close dread to being a very bald kenjutsu instructor. 

 

Menori engulfed her in a firm embrace, "Kaoru-san, it's been a quite a day for you, why not go home and relax now, okay?"

 

She sniffled, "Yes, Menori-san, thank you."

 

-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

 

"I'll be right out here, Kenshin, you go on and pick out some new clothes," to cease any protest on the red-head's part, Sanosuke thrusted Kenshin into the store. 

 

He did not understand why Sano had to make such a big deal about his gi.  It was comfortable and it covered his upper body, so what did it matter?  'Why not just take my style, Kenshin?'  The picture of him in the same clothes as the fighter made him shiver.  No, he wasn't that desperate.

 

Truth be told, he did need some new clothes.  The gi used to be red, now faded to a lighter color from having undergone countless events and was far beyond the state to be repaired.  If he went out with Kaoru, he couldn't imagine being a disgrace to her. 

 

Kenshin trudged along the aisle of the shop, taking note that many of the fabrics were brightly-colored and made of silk.  He raised an inquiring brow, wondering if he had been out too long from the world when men's clothing were made to be thick and mostly in rich, bold colors made for rough and hard toil.  Thinking that time must have progressed more quickly than he thought, he shrugged it off and continued to look around.

 

Passing by a few women, he picked up a vast amount of whispering.  He paused briefly to glance at his surroundings.  Anxiety rose as he caught many glances being sent his way.

 

He became suspicious.  A closer look at more fabrics showed that some had much too feminine graphics for his taste.  There seemed to be an over abundance of flowers, butterflies, swirls, flourishes, curves, and stars.  The last time he had seen polka dots on a man's gi was, well, never!

 

Kenshin briefly wondered if the possibility of men's clothing had been taken to new heights.  A clerk should answer his questions.  As he turned his head to seek him or her out, another realization came to mind. 

 

Aside from him, there not a single male in this store.

 

Now he was nervous.  A lady must have seen the doubtful expression on his features because she made her way to him. 

 

"Excuse me, sir, are you lost?"

 

Her question completely threw him off.  "Oro?  Lost?  Why do you ask that?"

 

"The men's clothing is down the street."

 

Huh?!

 

She gave him a near sympathetic look, "Sir, this is a women's store."

 

"SANO!"

 

The poor girl was scattered out of her wits at the instantaneous change of his facade.  Sano, keen at eluding danger, took off with impressive speed as soon as he saw a heated leer of amber.

 

Back home and away from misleads, Kenshin took advantage of the night sky and indulged himself at the view.  Fear of what Sano might further put him through, he would handle the clothes on his own.  His quiet reverie was interrupted when a light brightened the room. 

 

The presence of Kaoru was always a welcomed one. 

 

A small grin appeared, "Kaoru-dono?  Is everything alright?"

 

Apparently, she had not known of his presence because she started a bit when he spoke.  Turning around, she met his gaze and gave him a comforting smile, "Everything is fine, Kenshin," she walked into the kitchen, "You know, I'm beginning to worry that you worry too much."

 

Her wit is as sharp as ever.

 

He rose from his spot on the porch and entered the house.  "Can I help you with anything, Kaoru-dono?"  In the light, he allowed himself to give a long, appreciative look at her.  Her beauty was a rare one, feminine with a touch of wildness about it.  He noticed that the standard braid she had kept her hair in during the night had evidently shortened.  While it was in its ponytail, he could not really observe such a change.  Since she hadn't made any signs on her new cut, he assumed no questions needed to be asked.

 

Kaoru peeked over her shoulder, "I can handle brewing tea, Kenshin.  I may not be able to cook but even I can boil water without burning it, well, at least not anymore."  She gave him a sly wink.

 

He chuckled, "You are improving, de gozaru."

 

"I'd like to think so," she poured hot water into the tea kettle. 

 

The container on the counter caught his eye, "Kaoru-dono, is that a new mix?"

 

She looked to the mixture of herbs next to the tea cup.  "Yes, Kenshin, I bought it from the market the other day.  It is said to help relieve a higher level of muscle tension.  And with Yahiko as my student, I think that explains much." 

 

Her toes curled at the husky chuckle.  She almost jumped when he laid his hand on her shoulder, "Does it hurt?"

 

"Does what hurt?"

 

The moisture left her mouth when his hand made incredibly wonderful ministrations behind along her neck and shoulder blades.  "Your body is tense."  He mistook her stunned being for fatigue.  When he proceeded to guide his hand along her nape, a moan nearly escaped her lips. 

 

Kaoru quickly pulled herself together.  It would not do to crumble now!  A dry lump formed in her throat, her fingers clenched on the counter top, "Kenshin, I appreciate it, but I'll be fine, thanks."

 

With her back to him, she didn't catch the slight frown on his features, "You always take care of others, Kaoru-dono, let me take care of you this time."

 

The man was persistent, she'll give him credit for that.  She swiveled on her heel enough to face him and gave a reassuring grin, "Thank you, Kenshin, but I'd like to test this tea out.  If it doesn't work, I'll tell you, how's that?"

 

"Sounds good," he tapped her chin playfully, satisfied with the arrangement. 

 

They left it at that and he bid her good night then retreated to his quarters.

 

Kaoru let out the pent-up breath she did not realize was held.  Thank goodness, Kenshin did not press into any more of the herbal mix.  The picture of how he would handle to it being a way to increasing breast size was not something she looked forward to see. 

 

Herbs sprinkled into her cup, she stirred the mix and raised it to her lips for a taste.  It resembled a flavor oddly of syrup and celery, but the smell…God!  It stunk.  Holding her nose until the final drop, she gasped for air.  A bitter aftertaste lingered on her tongue. 

 

This was her new routine.  Disgusting tea by night, glass of milk by day. 

 

Her fingers toyed with the end of her braid, grieving at her loss.  Already she was hiding from him. 

 

She was just one deceitful, busty shihondai.

 

TBC…

 

 

·ENDNOTES



· Ikebana, the art of Japanese flower arrangement, as well as calligraphy are part of the arts that associate with the Japanese tea ceremony.  Although poetry and dance are recent additions, the two are more common in the ceremony.  These are all simply arts, the key to sending worries away and embrace the simplicity of life.

 

Credit of information for Ikebana goes to:

 

PageWise, Inc.  Ikebana flower arranging.  2002.

http://gaga.essortment.com/ikebanaflower_rxha.htm

 

· The Japanese tea ceremony is a highly fine art that requires months of practice and skill.  The movements have to be precise and deep meditation is usually required for this.  A ritual calls for inner peace, and therefore requires a great amount of concentration.  There is a lot of passionate interaction between the host and the guests.

 

The rites in this fic portray the main points of the ceremony.  However, not all tea ceremonies start from the tea room.  Sometimes, the guests walk through the gardens to prepare themselves for a path of serenity.  They purify their hands and mouth by cleansing them with water from a sprinkling water garden known as a dew ground.  A meal, along with sake, can be served before sweets. 

 

To learn more of the Japanese tea ceremony, credits go to:

 

Holy Mountain Trading Company.  The Japanese Tea Ceremony (Chaji).  2001.

http://www.holymtn.com/tea/Japanesetea.htm

 

Mi Marketing Pty Ltd.  Japanese Tea Ceremony.  2004.

http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/culture/japanese _tea_ceremony_detail.html

 

Japan Fact Sheet.  What Is The Tea Ceremony.

http://web-japan.org/factsheet/tea/tea_c.html

 

· GLOSSARY

 

kitsune - fox; Sanosuke's nickname for Megumi, noting her sly, cunning nature

tatami - bamboo mat