Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Hell's Conquest ❯ Realizations ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7

Hell's Conquest

Realizations

Once again, Yumi sat herself beside Shishio, not saying a word. She knew not to talk to him unless he addressed her first. It was a common fact that Yumi embraced whole-heartedly. Usually he would talk to her, saving the times when he was terribly sick, or deep in thought…but Yumi truly wished he would say something. Maybe she was just alarmed at his still being burned in death. Or maybe…it was…something else. Yes. It had to be. Recently Yumi had grown a lot closer to her master and couldn't dream of a day or night without his company. And it seemed that he was starting to become a little more open about his feelings than usual. This also meant he was being a little more cruel to her but Yumi could handle it. At least when it meant he would admit to children he'd never met that he was in love with her. That comment had truly taken her by surprise but she was pleased… to say the least. A few moments of silence passed before Shishio took her hand in his and pulled her down to lie beside him.

"Yumi…why did you bring these children here? What did they do for you?" Shishio asked.

She laughed playfully.

"I just thought they needed help. Not much difference when you took Souji-…" and she broke off mid-sentence, realizing she shouldn't have said that.

Shishio didn't say a thing, but Yumi could tell he was a little upset.

"I'm sorry…I shouldn't bring him up it's just…I still don't know what happened to him. I mean, I thought that Soujiro had no emotions whatsoever when fighting."

"He has emotions Yumi. He only kept them locked away behind that childish smile of his. I tried to brainwash any traces of emotion for nearly a decade from that boy's mind, but no matter what I did, they were still there. I thought they might cause a problem for him one day but I hadn't expected my predecessor to know that. Oh well. No matter. When he comes here, as I'm sure he will, I'll be waiting for him. Then I'll have my revenge." Shishio said, in a determined tone.

Revenge. That's all Shishio's life had revolved around for years. Revenge on the men that tried to kill him. Revenge on the government for ordering his death. And now revenge on the Battousai for causing him to lose and die. This was common knowledge for Yumi and she didn't care one bit.

"Thank you for being kind to the children. It's nice that you're helping them fight the demon." Yumi said, smiling warmly at him.

"What? I'm not doing this to save any children. I'm killing the demon because he's the only thing standing between my sword and Enma." Shishio admitted flatly.

"I wish you'd admit it but…do you like these children? I have to ask." Yumi questioned playfully as she turned to face him, her kimono in beautiful disarray.

"No." was his quick response.

"So…where are we going tomorrow? To find Usui? Or are we going to wait for Tetsumaoliko?" Yumi asked, dropping the subject of her last question.

"It would do us no use to go after Usui. I already know where he is. No thanks to my escort. I had to kill him. The poor idiot was trying to keep me from Usui so he led me around in circles. I killed him and by fool's luck I found Usui…still blind and very angry with me. I would've killed him too…if I wouldn't have come back for you." Shishio said, a hint of impatience in his voice.

Yumi didn't say anything and an awkward moment of silence passed over them. Then Shishio, seeing how he'd upset Yumi, leaned close and kissed her on the cheek.

"But if it matters…I was a little…concerned about you today." Shishio offered, hoping this comment would make up for his previous heartlessness.

Yumi turned away. Shishio was angered. The behavior of women was something even a man of his intellect could never master. Even Yumi, his best friend, had her moments of being a little hard to understand. This was one of those moments.

"Alright now what did I do?" Shishio asked, deciding to play along.

"Goodnight Lord Shishio." Yumi said, turning her back to face her master.

Not a wise decision on her part. Something inside him snapped. His old anger renewed as he realized that Yumi had just ignored him. Making sure they were truly alone, Shishio plunged into her, using his fast reflexes to land his body squarely over hers. Not touching her, just above.

"And what was that? Do I detect some defiance? That doesn't usually hold well for you." Shishio threatened darkly.

But Yumi just laughed.

"And what would you do to me?" Yumi asked playfully, a little surprised at his actions. Then Shishio realized that he hadn't acted in anger. He felt…different than usual…His love for Yumi was seriously increasing. Being alone with her constantly recently had awoken some hidden spark within him. This new realization was invigorating and he didn't want to waste the feeling on trying to hide it like he usually did.

"I…would…do whatever you…wanted me to…" he said slowly, staring deep into her eyes.

"Lord…Shishio…" Yumi started, her heart racing with excitement.

He got off of her and lay back beneath the tree, pulling her close. Gently, Shishio lifted her chin for a kiss that far surpassed their last one…before the two had died and burned together. This time, unlike the last, Yumi responded, closing her eyes and returning his kiss. As they kissed, Yumi felt, with shock, his hand caressing her back gently as she moved into the tree. Just days ago, an advance of this magnitude would have been shocking and highly unlikely to go much further. But on this night…Shishio had no intention of stopping in regard to his burns. He didn't care whether he burned to death again just so long as he could share this one moment, this one night with Yumi.

"Yumi…I know we shouldn't but…I love you, Yumi. I love you…" he murmured, his voice shaky.

Yumi couldn't shake how hurt his tone seemed to be. But before she could say another thing, Shishio had pinned her between the tree and his feverish body. Not forcefully, just so their bodies touched. Yumi didn't have the heart or desire to stop him. Shishio's hands were hot against her as he slipped her kimono down past her shoulders. His temperature…and desire were drastically rising.

"Lord Shishio…I want you to…but…your burns…" she said gently, running her hand along the folds of his facial bandages.

"I know. But I wish…just for a moment we could forget about them. Please…just once I'd like to feel again…" Shishio said quietly.

Yumi couldn't bear to hear him like this. Though…it did happen. There would occasionally be nights that Shishio would suddenly become saddened by his condition but none had ever become this pronounced. For those times, all Yumi had to do was say a few comforting words and he would leave her be. But now Yumi had no words. Then Shishio stopped in his advances, seeing Yumi's distress and laid his head on her shoulder.

"Yumi…has it ever crossed your mind that I'll be this way forever?" Shishio implored, running his fingers idly through her silky, brown hair.

"Maybe not. You don't know you'll be like this forever. Perhaps…after a few hundred years you can heal completely." Yumi said hopefully, hugging him tightly.

"Of course Yumi. And my nails and ears will just reattach themselves to my corpse that barely clings to life as it is. And then my scars from being shot will just wash away. Oh yes. That hope sounds promising." Shishio sneered.

Yumi just stared into his eyes longingly.

"Lord Shishio…you know I meant it. Every word." Yumi said kindly.

He turned his face away.

"Then you are a weak, sentimental fool, Yumi Komagata." he said flatly, staring off into the distance.

Yumi knew this to be his old self. She kissed his lips twice and lay back down.

"Good night again." Yumi said, smiling.

Shishio nodded in wordless agreement and sat up with his back against the tree. After about 10 minutes of silence, Yumi fell fast asleep and Shishio sat up, staring at the starry sky. What was happening to him? He had just nearly lost control and hadn't wanted to regain it. Life as a Hitokiri had hardened his heart nearly completely…but it was the "nearly" that was starting to take over. Shishio loved Yumi. There was no way around that but…he wondered what Yumi thought of the whole situation. Right now, she was happier to be with him than when she'd been alive. But what puzzled Shishio more than anything was the fact she'd been happy when he killed her. He knew she was not by nature, suicidal but it chilled his heart to know she'd sacrificed herself for a cause she didn't even believed in…she'd done it out of sheer love. Nothing more.

"I'll make it up to you Yumi. You didn't die for me in vain. I'll show you that what you did…holds…importance to me."

Shishio said to her softly, vowing to himself to never let her leave his sight. Never.

The End of Chapter 7

Will Tetsumaoliko come tomorrow? Or will Usui perhaps make an appearance? Or will something else happen?

Find out in Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Hell's Conquest

Weakness and Death