Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Help Me Feel No Pain ❯ The Road Paved With Unshed Tears ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Once again, Sessha must say she does not own RK. It belongs to the totally awesome Watsuki-sama.
Author's Dribble: OMG! Someone reviewed! Thank you, Ohagi-chan-san! So, in honor of that particular reviewer and to those who read my story(intentionally or not), Sessha dedicates this chapter to you!

Help Me Feel No Pain
Chapter Two: The Road Paved With Unshed Tears


Seijuro Hiko had often thought of Kenshin after he had left him some fifteen years ago. It would take an act of God for him to admit it though. He had thought of him as the idiot son to whom he had given free shelter and food for many years.


The thought that had come to him most often had been whether or not Kenshin had indeed intertwined himself within the threads fate had weaved for those involved in the Revolution. He had gotten his answer soon enough when word of a possible Ishin Shishi assassin with God-like speed had reached his ears.


You fool, he had thought, do you realize the demons to whom you have given birth to? Do you know the bloodied abyss that is guilt will crush you before any sword can?


He had known the boy would survive physically, but would his soul? For though his hands would forever carry the burden of blood, he had gone into war with such a pure heart. So pure, in fact, it had led him to believe that killing in the name of the new era was worth whatever consequences that would come his way. Had they been?


Only Kenshin himself could answer that. Hiko knew that this question was and still is a building block that helps sustain his inability to move on and find happiness.


Or, had it?


Somehow, Tomoe had come to show a life beyond the sword, giving him the precious gift a man like Kenshin needed:


"Hope".


But, Tomoe had also shown him what "contempt","bitterness","regret",and "realization" were. Emotions hitokiri were taught to suppress.


The thing that Kenshin himself had not fully understood about his experience with Tomoe is what she had finally made him think about after years of avoiding the subject within himself:


Shinta.


The man, the life that Kenshin would have at this moment, possibly, if fate had shown him an ounce of mercy during his childhood. This was the subject that had been the seed of his recovery. One many have tried to help grow.


He doesn't understand where it really all began, Hiko thought. If only he could face it...it might make living just a little easier for Kenshi, and for the father-figure that refuses to acknowledge the ache he feels for, by all means, his son.




Sessha wants reviews. She really does. So hop to it!