Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Kaoru ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A week had passed since the dojo caught on fire, luckily there was no permanent damage and everyone was able to fix it up in no time. However there was only one thing that they couldn't fix..Kaoru, she was still alive but her life was on the edge and Yahiko stopped his training for awhile, Sano didn't go gambling every night, and Kenshin just well wasn't Kenshin. "Kenshin?" Sano walked over tapping Kenshin on the shoulder but took a step back in surprise when he saw Kenshin's face. His eyes were no longer the strange calm purple color Sano was used to be a cruel looking full of hate amber color, "go away Sano" he said forcefully as his thoughts returned to Tomoe then Kaoru.

Sano left bumping into Yahiko "what's up with Kenshin?" Yahiko asked "Kaoru being in the hospital for so long must be taking a real big effect on him" Sano guessed. Yahiko looked at Kenshin who muttered "Tomoe is this the pain that your fiancé has given to me?" "is this the anger that rages in you for your murder, your killer who was me?" Yahiko and Sano watched as Kenshin brought his hand over to his scar he ran it along the short diagonal one "why did you have to hurt Miss Kaoru? Why not me, I was both killer to you and your fiancé, so why are you hurting Kaoru?" Kenshin's tears began to fall on his kimono, (is that what there called?) "why Tomoe? why?"

There was a knock on the door and Sano answered it "yeah?" Sano asked, "what'd you want?" "I'm here about the girl Kaoru Kamiya" when Sano heard that he stepped aside and the person walked in. "Hello boy," she said as she passed Yahiko, "ah yes Mr. Himora" she said once she saw Kenshin. Kenshin's amber eyes looked at her with anger and rage "I'm here about Kaoru Kamiya the girl that you saved from the fire" Kenshin's expression immediately softened and the woman entered. Sano and Yahiko sat next to her and she took a deep breath, which worried Sano, Yahiko, and Kenshin. The woman smiled once she saw their worried faces "ah yes well first of," she began, "my name is Keiti, I'm Kaoru's doctor." Everyone just continued to stare, who cared who she was how was Kaoru, "yes I see your much more worried about Miss Kamiya instead of knowing my name "yes Miss Keiti, that we are" Keiti only smiled "well Kaoru's fine," she smiled making everyone sigh with relief, "however she'll have to stay in the hospital until further notice, those fumes really got her and she's having trouble remembering names even after you tell her ten billion times" the doctor giggled at that thought before continuing on "well you may visit her anytime now, I'm sure she'll recognize you three" then without further ado she got up and left.

Everyone just stared into space for awhile "Kaoru's okay!" Yahiko yelled as they all began to dance around the room, they all were relieved except Kenshin's eyes remained amber. "We should go see her today, that we should!" Kenshin cried as they all agreed. "I'll be right back" Kenshin yelled over to them, he ran into his room where he found the piece of Kaoru's obi that she had given him on his pillow. He didn't wash it afraid he would lose the sweet scent of Kaoru, he picked it up and stuck it in- between is own obi before running outside with his reverse blade sword. Sano and Yahiko started running as soon as they saw Kenshin coming through the open door "hey wait up" Kenshin cried as he sighed he sped up, running with swiftness yet still he stayed on his feet no matter how fast he was going. He caught up with them and they were in shock at his great speed but continued to run no matter what.

Finally they all ran into the hospital doors and up to Kaoru's room where doctor Keiti happily greeted them "she's doing fine" Keiti said before leaving them. Kenshin looked at her closed eyes, even through all those burns he could see the stubborn girl holding on "Kaoru?" Yahiko called "Ugly!" he yelled shaking her making her flinch "what it Yahiko" Sano said Kaoru slowly opened her eyes to see three blurry visions, slowly they became clearer, "I don't understand," she said slowly looking at the boy that had shaken her "how do you know my name?" Yahiko looked at her funny "you Baka stop playing around" Yahiko said with tears of joy in his eyes "Yah..Yahi..Yahiko?" she asked him looking at the boy with the wooden sword. She turned her head over to the tall guy "Sano?" Sano nodded his head "hey Little Missy" he said with a smile and toothpick in his mouth. Finally Kaoru turned her head over to Kenshin, she opened her mouth but slowly closed her eyes with only three words coming out "who are you?" her head fell back and the other three looked around as a loud beeping noise came "look!" Yahiko cried, "her heart meter it's flat!" a bunch of medical doctors ran in and quickly yet gently picked up Kaoru and carried her off to ER.

Kenshin remained in shock "Miss Kaoru!" he cried out and ran after the medical doctors with great speed and once more amber colored eyes. "I'm sorry sir but you'll have to wait her" one of the doctors said blocking Kenshin from going into the ER room, Kenshin who was quite angry at this reached for his sword but Sano grabbed his arms as the doctor closed the door "Sano why did you do that?" "Kenshin let the man do his job and just wait outside."

Kenshin huffed, crossed his arms, and sat down on the bench facing a glass window towards the ER room where a helpless Kaoru..his helpless Kaoru lay dieing and he could do nothing but sit here and watch. His eyes narrowed his amber eyes gleamed in the light and he reached for his sword again but Sano just stopped his hand "relax Kenshin" Sano said Kenshin only growled before pulling his hand out of Sano's tight grip. Soon they heard Yahiko cry "look she moved!" "Kaoru's alive!" he yelled dancing around Kenshin only walked up to the window as Kaoru was placed on a stretcher and carried out towards her room.

The doctor who had stayed behind earlier to block Kenshin from entering walked over to Kenshin smiled, nodded his head, and followed the other surgeons who had some of Kaoru's blood stained on their uniforms. They all followed the surgeons back into Kaoru's room and watched them place her on the bed "she'll be out for awhile but you can stay with her" one of the surgeons said before leaving with the others. Kenshin frowned and he watched Kaoru breath slowly her heart monitor was back and it seemed a lot better then it was when they had first entered, maybe going into that ER room was a good thing Kenshin thought as he watched Kaoru's heart meter go up then down, up then down, up then down, and so on. He and Sano both smiled when Yahiko placed his head down on her chest to see how it was "hey Kenshin her heart beat," "it's normal!" Kenshin and Sano smiled and Kenshin took out the dirty obi and placed it next to Kaoru's head 'All visitors please leave the building I repeat visiting time is over' they heard doors open slowly and people say good-bye but Kenshin wouldn't leave, he couldn't leave, but he knew he had to "good-bye Miss Kaoru," he said, "I'll be back tomorrow, that I will" and with that he closed the door and followed Sano and Yahiko out the door.

Sano breathed in the fresh air "man it sure is stuffy in that hospital" he said exhaling "tell me about it" Yahiko agreed, Kenshin nodded his head, he hoped that no one would wash the obi that he had left by Kaoru "Kenshin?" Sano waved his hand in front of the Samurai "what?" Kenshin looked up when he realized he had been so deep in thought that he didn't notice he was about to run into a wall. Kenshin blushed "Uncle Ken!" "Uncle Ken!" they heard Suzume and Ayame running up behind them. "Is Aunt Kaoru okay?" "Kaoru okay?" they asked one after the other. Kenshin looked at the two "Miss Kaoru will be okay so there's no need to worry" "YEAH!" the two girls began to jump around "so what's this about Kaoru being okay?" "hey Dr. Genzai" Sano said "Grandpa!" Suzume and Ayame ran over to him and hugged him before running into the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaoru opened her eyes slowly "Kenshin?" she asked seeing a man with red hair and a cross shaped scar on his left cheek "Miss Kaoru I will be back tomorrow that I will" she heard him say before he turned and disappeared "wait Kenshin," Kaoru cried, "wait". She felt a tear slowly fall down her cheek when she heard a creak "excuse me miss," came a soft voice "yes?" "um, I heard you crying and I wanted to see if you were okay" Kaoru smiled and turned her head so she was able to see a young boy with a worried/confused expression "yes I'm fine" "oh" the boy nodded "come stay with me I'll probably be awake for awhile now" "really miss ya really want me to stay?" the boy sounded excited just like Yahiko Kaoru thought as she slowly nodded her head. "My names Yahiko" she heard him say "your names what?" Kaoru asked surprised "my names Russ" he said and watched as Kaoru's excited expression turn into a disappointed one "oh, my names Kaoru" Russ nodded his head "I own the Kamiya dojo about 3 blocks down from here" Russ smiled "I heard of that place, I heard in caught on fire," "and some girl got sent here because she got burned "that was me" Kaoru said a little unhappy by his reaction once she had told him. "Oh" was all Russ was able to say.

"What are you in here for?" Kaoru asked "you make it sound like a prison" Russ said noticing her tone what she said "it is," Kaoru sighed, "I'm not the kind of person that likes to stay inside" Kaoru looked out the window and frowned. "What's this?" Russ asked her pointing to the purple obi part Kaoru had given Kenshin "he was here" she said "but why can't I remember seeing him?" she asked herself as she flinched in pain. "Those burns look really bad" Russ said pointing to the only one's that were still visible. "Trust me they were a lot worse a week ago" she sighed "so what are you doing in here?" she asked him again "fell out of a tree and broke my wrist," he said pointing to his bandaged wrist, "but I get out of here tomorrow" Russ smiled and saw Kaoru smiling back at his before returning her gaze to the window and her smile return to a frown.

"Oh I miss Yahiko, Kenshin, Suzume, and Ayame, Dr. Genzai, even Sano so much," Kaoru said, "I miss practicing with Yahiko, yelling at Kenshin and even crying when he would wander off again." She began to cry and Russ looked at her before he heard "yes Russ's room is right this way" Kaoru must have heard it to for she said "you had better go back to your room now" Russ nodded his head before slipping out and Kaoru closed her eyes "Kenshin" she whispered before falling asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kenshin sat by the stove and was cooking fish humming to himself "your pretty happy this morning Kenshin" Sano as he passed Kenshin "yes," Kenshin smiled, "didn't you hear?" "hear what?" "Miss Kaoru is getting better and better and if she keeps recovering at this rate then she might be home just by next week" "that girl sure is something" Sano said as he put his arms behind his head and walked away. "That she is" Kenshin said before he saw blood drip from down his scar "oh no" he said as he touched his cheek running his finger along the long one that Tomoe's fiancé had given him. He felt the wet substance and gasped "Miss Kaoru" he said with a worried expression "Tomoe," he said as Tomoe's words slowly came into his head 'you have made it rain, rain of blood" Kenshin shivered as her thought of chopping her fiancé in half.

"Kiyasato gave me this curse" Kenshin cried as more blood fell on the wooden floor. "Kenshin?" Yahiko had just entered the room when he saw the blood fall "the curse of the Samurai," Kenshin said, (I think that was what it was called) "given to me when I fought a skilled swordsman during the revolution." Kenshin frowned as he remembered looking over at his left cheek to find the wound imprinted there. "Tomoe what are you doing?" Kenshin asked looking ceiling "Kenshin where are you going?" Yahiko called out as Kenshin pushed past him unsheathing his sword. "Kenshin!" Yahiko yelled but Kenshin ignored him and ran to the front of the dojo and out towards the hospital, all the while thinking of how Tomoe had died because of him, and now Kaoru's burns.