Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Kaoru ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Slowly the sun sank from the used to be warm blue sky, "I never realized how beautiful the sunset was until now," Kenshin said to himself all day long he had just been climbing the tree up and down with nothing to do. Dr. Genzai had returned and left the girls there who were quite unhappy to hear that Kenshin was as Kaoru had put it 'wouldn't be back here for awhile' the girls frowned at this but were still happy to have Kaoru to play with. She would always find way to make the girls laugh to help them get their minds of the missing red head and apparently it was working. Finally Dr. Genzai returned to pick up the girls and Sano told Kaoru that he and Yahiko were going out to eat some real food, meaning it as a joke but Kaoru didn't take it that way and he got a hard punch right across his right cheek.

"Fine go" she said stubbornly so Yahiko shrugged and they both left leaving Kaoru back out at the dojo. She sat down on the porch and watched the sun slowly slip down disappearing through the hills as a full moon slowly rose. A light breeze blew as the sky grew darker and the cherry blossoms blew from side to side as Kaoru breathed in the fresh air.

Kenshin watched as the stars came out one by one, but suddenly Tomoe's face appeared in the night sky, it was pale just like when he had first met her "Kenshin why are you waiting, she's there right under you." Kenshin looked down to see that Kaoru had got up from the porch to get a better view and sat down against the tree. "Kenshin get her before someone else does," Tomoe said in her soft voice yet it also held some kind of slow urgency, "don't be afraid" she said "I'm not afraid" Kenshin said hoping that Kaoru didn't hear "then why won't you ask her, why did you leave her Kenshin?" Tomoe asked him "I..don't know" Kenshin said "you see my words did have an affect on you Kenshin now just go back to the dojo, that is where she waits for you, that is where your heart lies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaoru smiled as she remembered all the times Kenshin had fought to save her, she especially remembered the one with Jinei who had stopped her lungs making her unable to breath. The only way to let her breath again was if Kenshin killed Jinei or she broke the spell herself. She remembered all the smiles and laughs they had, she remembered charging at him with her wooden sword in her hand, a few tears fell from her eyes as memories changed to when Kenshin said good-bye, he told her it was time for him to leave for her safety but Kaoru didn't feel safe. She remembered him hugging her then walking away not turning around to wave, not even stopping but he just kept walking.

Kaoru wiped away a tear and she heard rustling up in the tree, she decided to see what it was and wearing the kimono she always practiced in began to climb the tree grabbing whatever branch she could reach. Finally she saw a stand of red she sat on one of the branches and looked at it, it looked like a strand of hair so Kaoru kept climbing higher and higher.

Kenshin saw this and looked around he wasn't able to climb any higher and Kaoru was to close to see him if he jumped off. He sighed as he switched to opposite sides of the tree and began to climb down however he wasn't very successful when his hair got caught in a branch twig that was sticking out. He looked around and pulled one of his hands up hoping to free his stuck hair. He looked down as far as his eyes could take him but they were far enough to see Kaoru climb closer and closer to him. He struggled more until it finally came loose but Kaoru grabbed his foot to stop him from going any further.

Kaoru's P.O.V.

I continued to climb higher and higher until I heard a loud noise, someone had to be up here, and whoever it was they weren't doing a very good job hiding. "Hello?" I called up and that seemed to make the person struggle. It was hard to tell who it was though since they were on the opposite side of the tree, finally they seemed to calm down and climb down again but I grabbed their foot to stop them.

Normal P.O.V.

Kenshin shuddered how was he going to talk his way out this one "she's an attractive girl Kenshin, many men unknown to her are quite attracted but keep it to themselves waiting for the right moment to tell them they liked her. However Kenshin her heart belongs with no of them, her heart belongs with you." Tomoe said calmly as Kenshin felt Kaoru come closer and closer until finally a loud "KENSHIN?!" made Tomoe's voice disappear.

Kaoru gasped once she saw who it was, she along with the gasp accidentally let go of the branch's she had been holding onto and began to fall. "Kenshin!" she called before her head hit a tree branch hard then making her faint, she continued to fall towards the ground to Kenshins awareness and he felt some kind of push and he jumped from branch to branch in determination and finally jumped ahead of Kaoru and caught her in his arms. A small trail of blood came from her head, and Kenshin immediately ran inside Kaoru still in his arms called for Megumi who was over in a flash.

"You didn't say that she was bleeding in the head Kenshin?" Megumi asked urgently hoping to have heard wrong but Kenshin nodded and Megumi ran over to Kaoru who had a bandage on her head. She smiled at this but immediately changed her expression back to a frown. This was no time to smile, "where's Sano and Yahiko?!" she asked "I think their down by the Acishutos restaurant" Kenshin said "well go get them and don't you dare stop for anything" Megumi shouted at Kenshin who left immediately to find the two.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

Sano and Yahiko sat on a bench right outside Acishutos talking about random things when Yahiko came up with Kenshin "I still don't understand why he left her like that," he said angrily, "doesn't he know that by leaving he's just making matters worse for her?" Sano sighed "yeah but with Kenshin continuously changing into the Battousai" Yahiko looked at him sadly and opened his mouth to say something before they both heard "Yahiko, Sano it's Miss Kaoru hurry!" they looked over and saw Kenshin running towards them. "Yeah Kenshin you're the one who probably hurt her" Yahiko cried angrily as he remembered him continuously threatening Kaoru. It's not like Tomoe's death was a mystery or anything so why was he taking it so personally? "please Yahiko believe me" "Kenshin why should I trust you?" Yahiko cried, "after all you've done give me one reason why I should believe you?" Kenshin stiffened "I'll tell you why Yahiko," Yahiko was shocked to see amber eyes, "because Miss Kaoru's in danger and I would never lie about that" Kenshin said holding his sword out with the blade flipped.

Sano glared at Kenshin "fine Kenshin" Sano said "what?!" Yahiko asked as Sano and Kenshin ran off "you know Kenshin if your lying.." Sano began as they came up to the dojo, Sano pushed open that gates and ran in to find Kaoru in her futon asleep with a refreshed bandage and a note in Megumi's handwriting Sano read the note before Yahiko grabbed it from him and read it. Yahiko looked Kaoru before walking away not even once looking at Kenshin. "Miss Kaoru" Kenshin whispered silently.

"You have made it rain...rain of blood"

Kaoru spoke those words softly but loud enough for Kenshin to hear and he fell why did she have to keep saying it, why did he have to keep remembering those words. "Miss Kaoru don't say that please" Kenshin begged getting Sano's attention

"You have made it rain...rain of blood"

Kaoru whispered it again "please don't say it Miss Kaoru don't say those words, don't say that sentence, just don't say anything please" Kenshin cried.

"You have made it rain...rain of blood"

She said again only this time it wasn't Kaoru's voice which caught notice to both men in the room it sounded to Kenshin like Tomoe.

"You have made it rain...rain of blood"

Yes it was Tomoe it was "please Tomoe don't say it again. "You can't say it, I can't take it" Kenshin cried holding his ears and Sano was shocked at this and called over for Yahiko who ran in "what?" Yahiko asked "listen" Sano merely said.

"You have made it rain...rain of blood"

Tomoe whispered once again making Kenshin want to kill Kaoru to shut her up when Tomoe said sadly.

"Is death always the answer Kenshin? Is death always what you can remember?"

"Please don't Tomoe please leave don't speakto me Tomoe please" Kenshin cried, he felt his eyes water but he wouldn't let them fall. Kenshin didn't cry, Shinta might have but not Kenshin, no never Kenshin.

"Blood is all you can remember isn't it?" the soft voice asked again "leave me alone Tomoe!" Kenshin yelled desperately but Tomoe wouldn't and Kaoru said.

"You have made it rain...rain of blood"

Kenshin felt a tear fall he looked at Kaoru, then ran out and Kaoru opened her eyes "I saw...blood" she said and watched Kenshin run out of the room.