Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life Insured ❯ Hit Hard ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Thanks to all my reviewers- I'm very pleased with the responses I've been getting, and they make me want to update faster. Well, here it is: the continuing saga of Kenshin and the trouble that just won't leave him alone. What's he going to do when he finally gets the call that tells him he has to kill someone? Please R&R
 
Oh! And for the many that guessed at that silly quote last time, it was from Beauty and the Beast! >_< I know, I'm a dork!
 
 
“Life Insured”
 
Chapter 5: Hit Hard
 
“So, whatcha working on, chicken face?” The young and, in Sano's opinion, very annoying voice, piped through the federal agent's train of thought.
 
“It's rooster-head, actually…hey!” Sano grumbled at the slight. The only person he allowed to call him that was Megumi, and even she was pushing the limit. As far as he was concerned, his nicely coifed hair didn't resemble poultry of any kind.
 
Yahiko sneered at his reaction.
 
“Anyway, I'm working on a very high-profile case, Little Yahiko, so would you please get out of my office?” he waved off the younger man with disdain.
 
Yahiko wrinkled his nose as he scoffed. “High profile? Like what…?
 
Sano snorted. “Like evil, evil men with no soul and bad tempers that would eat you for breakfast. Like, Makoto Shishio…that kind of high profile.”
 
Despite his youthful arrogance, Yahiko's eyes widened to the size of silver dollars. Everybody knew the stories about Shishio's organization. “You and Megumi are tracking down his gang? How do you expect to do something like that?”
 
“With a little help from friends…” Sanosuke smiled widely, stretching his arms above his head. “….some very, very unlucky friends…”
 
-------------------------
 
Kenshin hadn't been able to bring himself to take Hiko's sword home with him. The alien idea of bringing a killing object into his home had horrified him… perhaps he had also been afraid that, if he brought it home with him, he would be saying that he accepted fate as Shishio's pawn. He had left it safely tucked between his file cabinet and computer desk, so that no janitor would move it. After having rearranged it five times to make sure it would remain well hidden, the insurance agent had even taken the care to place a small scrap of paper on the end of the tall, thin box. If any man were to move it, he would know it in the morning.
 
Now, crouching on the floor next to his desk, Kenshin was glad that he wasn't visible to most of the other workers. He had always hated being isolated from the world by cubicle walls, but for yet another time in these past few weeks, he was eternally glad no one could peek in on him. He carefully dragged out the cardboard box from the narrow space, noticing with relief as he did, that no one had moved it the night before.
 
Looking around furtively once more, Kenshin tentatively pulled the sheathed sword from the box. Despite his initial hesitation to study it, he couldn't deny that he felt a certain kind of breathless awe as he held it in his hands. The workmanship of the glossy wood of the sheath, and the leather-bound handle that was softened and worn with use, impressed him. He wrapped his fingers around the handle and slowly pulled the blade from its sheath.
 
When freed, it made a dull clinging noise, and he jumped slightly. The steel was shining, perfectly polished, with a delicate curve and point at the tip. He gently reached out a fingertip to feel for the sharpness, and when it touched, he felt the blade already piercing his skin. He held the edge of the blade close to his eye for a moment, seeing the nicks and small stains running down the ridges of the steel.
 
Kenshin shuddered quietly. It had just occurred to him that Hiko had used this sword for killing men. Those ridges had many times been filled with skin and blood and human hair, later to be cleaned carefully. He pulled the blade away from his face in disgust, testing out a tiny swing, if only to hear the whooping noise it made in the air.
 
Kenshin suddenly discovered that the idea that what was in his hand was a murder weapon wasn't what frightened him the most. He was probably most afraid of how right the weapon felt in his hand. The heavy steel and crafted handle should have weighed down on his arm, but it almost felt as light as a feather- as if it were made just for him.
 
Shaking the sickening thought away, Kenshin slipped the sword back into its sheath. He hurriedly stuffed it into its box and shoved it back into the dark space between the desk and cabinet, and tried to forget it was there.
 
----------------------------------
 
When the call came for him that afternoon, he was surprised at how a part of him had been prepared for it. With Hiko's sword sitting at his feet, and his mind now constantly drawn away from his work, having the call over with was almost enough to bring a sigh of relief… almost.
 
“Shishio wants it to get done in two days. No exceptions.”
 
“I see.” He worried his lip with his teeth. The constant light happiness of the boy on the other end had begun to again make him nervous. The voice was pure, unreadable… but Kenshin felt that it was always testing him for some kind of slip in his demeanor.
 
“The subject will be at an apartment on the west side. The address is 690 26th Street. Apartment D.”
 
Kenshin made sure his voice was low and gravelly, all the while hoping to catch some kind of hint on what was going to happen. Who, in fact, was this person that they were hoping he would kill? Who could possibly deserve the fate of a slash from a sword like Hiko's? “690 26th Street. Is there anything else I need to know?” There were questions his mind was yearning to ask, but he could not say.
 
“There are neighbors very near. Scout them out before you try anything.”
 
“I know that.” His own voice was cold and disdainful.
 
The young, smiling voice did not sound miffed at all by the customary rudeness. That voice seemed like it had never had an angry moment in its life. “You will not be paid until everything is completed and it isn't traceable back to you, understand?”
 
“Understood.”
 
The caller hung up as soon as the word had left his mouth, and Kenshin's face fell into his hands, as he exhaled silently. He had done it- he had gotten this far, and the mafia apparently still believed that he was their dangerous, cold-blooded killer. Now that he had accomplished his goal, he could find a way to get Kaoru and himself out of harm's way. She could forget about worrying over him, and he could rid his simple life of these weird customers, frightening phone calls, sleepless nights, and killing weapons sent to him in the mail.
 
Now, all that was left was for him to contact this Sanosuke Sagara person. Then this whole mess would be over. After all, how could anything possibly become worse than it was now?
 
-----------------------------
 
Kenshin couldn't find a break for another hour or so after the call, and when he did, he jumped desperately at the opportunity. Stuffing his arms into his long coat, and snatching up the F.B.I. agent's business card from his desk drawer, he escaped into the elevator. His fingers rubbed nervously over the thick material of the small card, as he waited for the tiny compartment to move down the thirty floors. Once on the ground, he would be one step closer to that phone booth… one step closer to freedom.
 
In the lobby, he began sprinting through a crowd of people. It was drizzling outside, the sky overcast and gray. He took off down the street, weaving in and out of the pedestrians. A few caught brief notice of the small, redheaded man that was moving surprisingly swiftly, a determined and eerily focused look on his face.
 
Megumi had told him to leave the business district in order to make his call, which meant he had to walk at least four blocks. So in haste, he had not even considered taking his car with him. The quicker it was done, the better. As fat drops of rain began hailing from the dark clouds above, Kenshin's hair was becoming plastered to his forehead. Everyone else on the street dashed for cover under overhangs and in their cars, while Kenshin headed straight on for his goal.
 
Many blocks away, the business district began changing into the quainter apartment complexes and townhouses of the south side of town. There were large patches of grass on the sidewalks, and trees growing from planters. And, best of all, he could see a red-painted phone booth on the corner of the street.
 
Speeding up, Kenshin darted into the phone booth whose glass had been scratched up and graffiti-ed after a decade of standing on the same busy street. With cold, wet fingers, Kenshin pulled the square, smooth card from his pocket, his lips silently forming the numbers as he dialed the number.
 
Two curt rings and then a deep, drawling voice picked up on the other end.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Mr. Sagara?” Kenshin asked quietly.
 
“Who's this?” The voice sounded on edge.
 
“My name is Kenshin Himura. I'm an insurance agent for Imperial Insurance and I met with your partner on-”
 
“Ah, yes…Kenshin. Megumi told me about you. I gather they've called you to tell you what the new job is?” Kenshin wondered in the back of his mind why he sounded so urgent.
 
“Yes… it's in the west side.”
 
“Look, Kenshin… things aren't exactly going the way Megumi and I had planned them.” The deep voice, which sounded as if it were naturally strong and booming, had a slight falter in it.
 
His stomach dropped. “…What do you mean?” Kenshin gritted his teeth. He had expected that once he had told everything to the F.B.I., they would take care of the rest.
 
“We had planned to take over everything from here, and not let you get in any more danger… but…things have changed.”
 
Kenshin's voice became subdued and hardened. “Changed? What's that supposed to mean? I was under the impression that Miss Kaoru and I would be completely safe.”
 
“There's a problem.” Sanosuke's voice fell to a whisper, as if he dreaded to speak the words. “Megumi's been found out. Once she came back from visiting you, they discovered that she had been playing them all along. At least, that's what we think happened. I haven't heard from her for over a week, and we just heard that Shishio's lackeys are moving.”
 
Kenshin leaned heavily against the scratched glass, his breath splaying across it in a wave. “That means… they're going to find out who I am.”
 
“There's a high probability they already know.”
 
Kenshin gulped, his mind spinning around the idea. Just when he had believed it was all over, he was in even more serious danger. “What should I do…?”
 
“You have to get out of town as quickly as possible. Once they find out, they will be after you. The farther you get away from them, the better. If you stay in town you may be dead within the day. But, if you leave now, you may be out of danger.”
 
The questions were threatening to spill out of Kenshin in a wave, as he took it all in. What would he do about Kaoru? How far could he run away?
 
“I'm sorry it has to be this way, Kenshin, but it can't be changed. Now…I-” he paused for a second as if listening to someone else in the room. “Oh no… I have to go! Whatever you do, keep my number with you. Try your best not to contact me, though. It's too dangerous. Get out of town- quickly!” The conversation ended as swiftly as it had begun.
 
Kenshin glared, horrified, at the receiver for a long moment. He was beginning to hate how people were always hanging up on him. It was beginning to go hand-in-hand with everyone walking all over him.
 
He dropped the phone into the cradle, fingering the business card absently in his closed fist as he jammed it in his overcoat pocket. Dazed for a second, he stepped out of the cramped booth. As soon as the cold rain began pounding on his head again, he knew what he had to do. He had to get out of town as fast as he could.
 
--------------------------
 
When he arrived back at the office, the rush of departing businessmen had begun. It was six o'clock and a Friday, and most people were hurrying to the parking structures or bus stops so they could enjoy the rest of their evening. Kenshin paid them all a fleeting glance, though he wondered vaguely what it would be like to be the simple-minded worker he had been just weeks ago. At this time of night, he would have only worried himself with what his dinner would be. Now he feared for his life.
 
The lights were going down in the main offices of his sector as he reached the thirtieth floor. Only a scant few agents were still in their cubicles, and even the main ceiling lights were being turned down low. Adrenaline coursing through him, Kenshin jogged towards his own cubicle. He quickly began scouring his desk for all the useful items that he needed- wallet, money, credit card- and gathering them up desperately. There was no time to go home and get things. That would only slow him down.
 
He hesitated for a long moment, remembering the package that was hidden at the side of the desk. The thought of taking the weapon with him was not appealing, but Hiko's note seemed to be pointing to this very time. I may not have to use it, but it is one more clue for them to find. Leaning down swiftly, he yanked the box from its hiding place, and tucked it under his arm.
 
Before he could think of leaving, Kaoru had already accosted him, obviously having seen him come in so frantically.
 
“What's going on, Kenshin?” He realized vaguely what he must look like to her- wild-eyed, with red hair plastered onto his face, while ripping through his desk drawers like a panicked animal.
 
He stood up stock straight, knowing that he couldn't lie to her. “I… have to leave town for a little while.”
 
Kaoru's face drained of color, and her mouth fumbled over the word. “…Leave…? But… what happened? You're in danger- aren't you?”
 
He pursed his lips together, and making sure his face didn't betray him. “Don't worry, Miss Kaoru. I'll be just fine. The F.B.I. said they'll protect me.” It was a lie. He tried to smile reassuringly. That was also a lie. He wasn't assured at all of anything he had said.
 
“I'm coming with you, then!” She insisted adamantly.
 
“Miss Kaoru, you can't come with me! You're much safer here than with me! I'm their target!”
 
Kaoru shook her head, her round lips pouting in her ultimate decision. “I'd feel safer on the run with you then I would here alone! Anyway, I can't let you go out there by yourself!” She reached out to tug on his arm to emphasize her point.
 
He looked both scared and regretful at her words… he felt frightened that he did want her to come with him more than anything. But, to take her along could mean worse consequences for the both of them. He turned away from her, hiding his violet eyes with his hair. He didn't want to look at her, for fear that he would cave in.
 
Kenshin held the package he carried more firmly between his arm and body, beneath his trench coat, not giving the pretty woman another glance as he hurried towards the elevator.
 
“I'll walk you to your car, Miss Kaoru, that I will.” His voice was again hard and detached, and Kaoru's face fell. Now that he had made up his mind, Kaoru was sure that not she, nor anybody else, would be able to penetrate that hardened gaze.
 
------------------------
 
A/N: Eeek! Now that Kenshin and Kaoru are splitting up, what's going to happen to the romance part of this story?! You'll find the answer in Chapter 6… ;