Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life Insured ❯ Speak Softly and Carry a Shiny Sword ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: It's been forever, and I am extremely sorry. This chapter was actually intended to cover more ground than it does, but I decided that making you guys wait so patiently for any longer would be totally unfair of me. Thank you so much to everyone who was willing to stand that wait to get more of this story. I apologize in advance for the cliffhanger.
 
 
“Life Insured”
 
Chapter 8: Speak Softly; Carry a Shiny Sword
 
“I know you're up there, Mr. Himura... I'd like to have a word with you!”
 
The voice was almost mockingly cheerful, a paradox that froze Kenshin's blood. It was still an invisible source of noise, though. He and Kaoru could both imagine some kind of shadowed person, waiting with intense patience at the foot of the stairwell.
 
Kenshin finally rolled forward into a shaky stand, his hands twitching in anticipation. Was this what it felt like to be a criminal on the run? Was this what it felt like for a man ruled solely by the laws of violence and mayhem? Those men were always waiting for the next battle.
 
The cardboard package with Hiko's sword inside was in his hands, and he stared down at it with a sense of finality. It was now or never. There could be no turning back from what was ahead. He would die without regret before letting Kaoru get injured. Besides, her young life and continuous smile were more valuable than his meager existence, right?
 
Kenshin suddenly flinched in unbridled surprise. Kaoru's hands had found their way to the thin cloth on his back, and they were gripping tightly in desperation. She pulled him close to press her forehead against the smooth, corded muscle between his shoulder blades for a breathless moment.
 
“Please be careful, Kenshin.”
 
He grunted with a reassuring air, his eyes burning into the space where the stairs entered the room. “That I will, Miss Kaoru.”
 
With a soft tenderness that she could imagine only Kenshin having in this type of situation, he gently unlatched her fingers from his thin shirt, and began moving with agonizing slowness towards the center of the room. His shoes made soft scuffling noises on the ground, and she watched him in awe. What exactly was he planning to do?
 
“Who's there?” Kenshin's normal voice was nowhere to be heard. He said the words firmly, demanding, and his voice rang effectively down to whoever was on the first floor. He had decided. He couldn't be their assassin, but he wouldn't be afraid anymore. He was too far in to be afraid; to let fear blind him. He had had enough of the games and the mental torture, and of all that this man Shishio stood for.
 
The light steps were approaching from the bottom floor- insanely measured and evenly paced. Out of the shadows of the stairway came a figure that could have been described as similar to Kenshin. He was a young man- like a boy, really. He had dark hair cut in a short bob, a thin, delicate frame, and a disarmingly pleasant smile on his feminine face. What made the entire picture even more surreal was that the boy had a sheathed Japanese sword, not unlike the one Kenshin was carrying, at a belt on his waist. His arms were behind his back as he swayed forward in greeting.
 
“Mr. Himura! It's nice to finally meet you after so many telephone conversations.” Kenshin eyed the boy warily, distrusting. Was this boy trying to fool him with the pleasantries, or was this his true personality?
 
“Just who are you?”
 
The smile widened even further. “I am Soujiro Seta.” He bowed courteously to the insurance agent. “I'm Mr. Shishio's key assassin.”
 
Kenshin tried to prevent his own eyebrows from shooting up in surprise. He wanted to be that “cool” man that Megumi had asked him to be. He wasn't going to let Soujiro Seta win him over. He wasn't going to let someone commit murder for their own sick pleasure.
 
“What do you want from me, Mr. Seta?” His eyes narrowed at the pair of shining eyes across from him. “I hope you understand that I am not the man Shishio wants, and I have absolutely no desire to become involved with violence and corruption, that I do not. I wish you would both understand that.” His hands gripped firmer on the cardboard, and he heard the sword rattle against the inside of the box.
 
Soujiro smiled once more, his eyes tilted in a strange gesture of politeness. Everything about him was so carefree and light, that it made both Kenshin and Kaoru uneasy. “Lucky for us we had Ms. Megumi Takani with us! She proved quiet useful to Mr. Shishio… Yes, we know all about you, Mr. Himura.”
 
Kenshin felt a gasp rise to choke in his throat. “…Miss Megumi…. What have you done to her?!”
 
The frail-looking boy shrugged in nonchalance. “We extracted information from her. But, don't you worry, Mr. Himura. Her safety will no longer be your concern.”
 
Kenshin felt something inside his body twist in frustration. It was agonizing the way he felt so pinned, with this ever-smiling boy and himself as a not-so-solid wall to protect Kaoru. His dark eyebrows drew together in annoyance. “If you know all about me… Why can't you just leave Miss Kaoru and I alone? We mean no harm to anyone.”
 
Soujiro's lips turned downward slightly, in an apologetic curve. “That's the very unfortunate thing, Mr. Himura. You see, now that you know about us, we can't just leave you and the woman free to tell our secrets.” His thin fingers curled in readiness over the handle of his sword. “That's why I'm going to have to kill you both.”
 
Kenshin breathed out slowly, trying again to read the boy's face. How could anybody possibly make their features so unreadable? The smile was like a smooth, impenetrable fortress around Soujiro's eyes, and his body language appeared natural and relaxed. As if he were merely out for an afternoon stroll, and not planning to kill and leave for dead two innocent civilians. He felt simultaneously pulled in and shut out, in the intense locking of gazes with the boy. Soujiro's blank eyes were not asking for anything- he was only waiting.
 
Waiting for Kenshin to do what….? Finally pick up his sword? Was he really that playful of an assassin that he would patiently wait until his opponent had decided to take up arms?
 
Kenshin tried once more, feebly. “And you would not even let Miss Kaoru go? It is not her fault she is involved.”
 
Soujiro shrugged good-naturedly. “I cannot.”
 
It was in that brief space of time, watching the same calm glee spark in Soujiro's face, that Kenshin's whole body revolved into his decision. It had truly become the point of no return. He had successfully been able to avoid action of any kind for so long now… and now that the point of a sword was looking him in the face, he couldn't walk away now. He would have to somehow end this… or die trying.
 
Not taking the chance of flicking his eyes away from the smiling assassin for even a second, his fingers moved their way to the edges of the cardboard box. Lightly tipping the box until the sheath slid into his hands, he deftly threw the box to the side. The wood was smooth and lacquered, and his fingers curled, trembling over it.
 
“Kenshin….” He flinched, hearing Kaoru speak his name from her position near the wall. That little waver in her voice made his resolve strengthen.
 
“You must stand back, Miss Kaoru…” he tried to sound reassuring. All the while he was testing the weight of the still-sheathed sword, balancing just the idea of its power in his mind. The last time he had held a weapon had been the day that Tomoe was murdered. He had fought desperately with Enishi Yukishiro over a knife, letting his own face become hideously marred in the process. Afterwards, Kenshin hadn't even taken his gun from the police headquarters home with him. It had stayed in his desk at the station. He had hoped he would have no more use for guns.
 
Now, this sword was yet another reminder of how much things had changed since then. He had tried desperately to forget what it was like to feel a hatred for someone or despise an ideal so much that you just had to do something about it. It was the reason he had decided to become a detective. It was the reason he had made a promise on Tomoe's dying breath. And now it would be the reason he drew this sword against Soujiro Seta. He grimaced mildly. He was out of practice in fighting. Though he had once been prized in the force for his speed and agility, Soujiro's bouncy and perfected offensive stance was unnerving him greatly.
 
“Your move, Mr. Himura. I have all the time in the world. I will be pleased if you are a good fighter. I am always up for a good challenge!”
 
Soujiro nodded, smiling, as he whipped his sword out of his sheath. He settled the blade in front of his body with a succinct level of patience.
 
Kenshin nodded back. He still felt as if he were trapped in a dangerous game of chess, where Soujiro's smiling face was just a ruse, and he was only a pawn. Shutting his eyes for a moment, still afraid that once the assassin was out of his sight he would be dead, Kenshin inhaled a lungful of the cool air of the abandoned building. He had to stay calm, and think out his moves carefully. Otherwise Kaoru's life would not be spared.
 
He felt two sets of eyes upon him, as he bent his knees into a defensive stance, cautiously drawing the sword to his side. He tried to ignore the shuddering of the blade in the sheath, caused by the trembling of his fingers. Was it only the rush of adrenaline, the excitement of the fight? Or was it fear that was driving his body to respond like this to the foreign touch of a sword?
 
Kenshin's eyes flashed open once again, narrowing onto Soujiro's relaxed smile.
 
“I notice you've chosen a defensive stance, Mr. Himura. But, I told you it was your move first. Being cautious will not help you in this fight. The only way you will stand a chance against me,” Soujiro aimed his sword playfully in the red-haired man's direction, “is to come at me with everything you have.”
 
Kenshin shook himself, stood straight again, and, following Soujiro's words, slipped the blade out of its sheath. Soujiro was right. The only way he could beat someone like this was to become a fighter. He couldn't keep holding on to his fear, if he was going to beat the assassin. One slide of his foot on the ground, and Kenshin took off towards the other end of the room, lunging forward to land a blow.
 
It was laughably easy how Soujiro could dodge that move. A simple sidestep, and Kenshin was left with his sword flailing in the air, as he skidded to a stop. He heard tittering laughter behind him, and straightened his body quickly, the frustration washing over him.
 
Soujiro's eyes sparkled magnificently, as he glanced a finger over the sheen of his light blade. “That wasn't with everything you have,” he stated, meaningfully.
 
Kenshin kept his lips in a thin line, as he struggled to focus. Focus. Concentrate. Listen. See. All the old lessons were coming back to him, but too slowly for them to be of any use. His feet felt heavy and clumsy next to the feather-light steps of the young assassin, and the fact that Soujiro was laughing silently at him, made him realize even clearer how easily the boy could kill him.
 
Bending his knees once more, Kenshin picked up speed again, this time trying to gauge what direction Soujiro was moving. He kept his eyes trained on the hips, hoping that they would be the telling factor. He jabbed the sword straight into where he thought Soujiro's chest should be, but opened his eyes to find that he was sprawled on the floor, the wind knocked out of him, a sandaled foot poised on his heaving chest.
 
“Have you already chosen to be killed so easily, Mr. Himura?”
 
--------------------
 
Kaoru huddled against the cold wall, her heart leaping into her throat as she saw Kenshin fall under Soujiro's quick stroke. It had been almost too fast for her to eyes to catch, but the flat of the blade had clearly been forced against Kenshin's stomach, leaving him spluttering under Soujiro's weight. Her lips moved in worry, wanting to shout out to him. But she couldn't interfere with this fight.
 
She stood up slowly from her crouch, twenty yards away the fight, and thoughts streamed into her mind. What course of action could she take, if she couldn't interfere? Just sitting and watching was driving her insane. If only there were some way she could help Kenshin recapture whatever strength he had left in him. If only… she could call for help.
 
She dug her cold hands into the deep pockets of Kenshin's trench coat, only half noticing the warm scent that permeated it, and seemed to hang around her protectively. When her fingers brushed against something firm and smooth, she found that her hand was curled around something rectangular and flat that had been in the pocket. Kaoru snatched it out immediately. It was like a business card, with only a name and phone number printed across it.
 
“Sanosuke Sagara…” Kaoru muttered to herself.
 
Could this perhaps be the agent Kenshin had spoke of? New hope fluttered in her chest. If she could perhaps contact his man, would they be saved?
 
It was then that she really began to see her surroundings. The open window just feet from her; the scaffold right below it; the trash bin below that. It was a risky thing to try, but if she could somehow escape, would she be able to contact the F.B.I.?
 
Kaoru crammed the card back into the pocket, and leaned into an inconspicuous crouch as she glanced back at Soujiro, who was still standing over Kenshin, then back towards the drafty opening. He wasn't watching now- if she were to make her move, she could get out the window to find a telephone booth. But was it safe to leave Kenshin behind? What would he say to her right now?
 
In a split-second decision, Kaoru grabbed the hem of the trench coat, and made a mad dash towards the window. Though it had seemed so close a moment before, it seemed like miles away. She was about to hurl herself over the sill, when she heard a metal click behind her. The barrel of a gun had just been cocked in her direction.
 
“Don't move.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------
 
A/N: Hope you liked it! I've been extremely bogged down by a bunch of things, namely school, college acceptances…. And reading some great manga (Death Note, Monster, Fullmetal Alchemist, HNG, Bleach….to name a few). Hopefully, once I start to read the Kenshin Jinchuu arc I'll be inspired to write even more. But, I promise to finish this story no matter what.
 
See you soon!