Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Second Thoughts ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Saitoh analyzes his training encounter with Tokio.
"Thinking before you speak is always the best course of action."
(30 Romances Theme: Analysis)
 
Second Thoughts

.
Standing against the wall with my arms folded across my chest, I think about what just happened a short time ago. Today was spent practicing safety and defense with the Joushitai, both things that could keep them alive. Briefly, I reviewed what I said yesterday, hoping that some of them would remember. I had no way of knowing what to expect on the second day of training when I made the girls do what I had explained to them the day before.
 
I called the first one out of line and used her to demonstrate my technique. I could tell she understood some of what I said, and that she had some prior training. Her moves were not bad, but not that good, either. I corrected her stance and her response to my advances, when needed. Once she started to breathe heavily, I sent her back to the line. I would need to find some way to build up their stamina, if this girl was any indication of the shape the rest were in. Having them walk up the stairs to the castle tower twice a day should solve the problem.
 
My second opponent would be the Takagi girl. From the determined look on her face, I assumed that she had not forgotten what I said to her the day before. At first we merely circled each other, like a couple of beasts judging their prey. I made the first move, but she met me blow for blow, the sharp cracking sounds of our weapons lingering in the courtyard. The girl's eyes were like two pieces of steel, as she locked them with mine.
 
Her stature and speed allowed her to dart in close, and my ribs eventually felt the blunt end of her staff. Now it was her turn to smirk at me, and she didn't hesitate. I severely underestimated this girl, this woman. That was my first mistake. Didn't Katamori mention she was the daughter of one of his samurai retainers?
 
It is common for daughters of those families to be trained. They need to be. When the head of the household is serving their daimyo, someone has to defend the rest of the family and the servants. Letting out a sigh, I wince as the movement of my diaphragm reminds me of the indignity suffered by my ribs today. They aren't broken, but they are very bruised and sore. My second mistake was to question her ability. I won't do that again. I have no doubt that she could have broken a couple of my ribs, if she had wanted to.
 
She is short, agile and moves quickly, all qualities that would help her hold her own against a larger, stronger opponent. They are also qualities that would serve her well in other pursuits. I close my eyes briefly, clench my jaw, and push those `other pursuits' completely from my mind. I have to be out of my mind to even let thoughts like that slip into my consciousness in the first place.
 
“You did well,” I told her. That was all she got out of me today. I am not used to making mistakes.