Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ The Road To Respect Can Be Rocky ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tokio walks away from the training session where she managed to land a blow on the wolf.
"I only wanted to get your attention."
(30 Romances Theme: Aces)
 
The Road to Respect Can Be Rocky
 
Walking away from the training session, I try not to gloat. It is not in my nature. What I did today, needed doing. I took no joy from doing it, especially in front of all of my comrades, but he left me no choice because of what he said to me yesterday. I am not foolish enough to think that I could really best him physically, ever again, because I couldn't. He underestimated me today, that was my `ace', the only reason I was successful. I know that will never happen again.
 
I feel like I am his mental and emotional equal, and for some reason I wanted him to see me that way. I can be strong in those areas. What I did on the training field was only done to get his attention. I do not know why I seem to crave his respect, but I do.
 
I hardly know him. We only met a month or two ago and we had only brief contact before Matsudaira arranged these training sessions. Women may be weaker than men from the standpoint of physical prowess, but they can have great strength of will, and determination. If it were not for women and their will to survive, humankind could not survive for it is the women who bear and care for the children.
 
Men. As I shake my head, a little smile graces my lips. It will be very interesting to see how he treats me and speaks to me from this day forward. I will be quiet and obedient during all future lessons, and just demonstrate what he asks without trying to purposely best him. I know that I wouldn't be able to, even if I tried. My face will remain an emotionless mask to him when I see him in public. I will only send him a slight smile if I encounter him when there are no others around.