Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Tales in Tonami - The Arrival ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tales in Tonami - The Arrival
 
The clatter of horse's hooves echoes in the courtyard; Kurasawa-san and our new lodger must have arrived. I wonder if he was informed that I am also a member of this household.
 
“Tokio-chan, they are here, let's go out and greet them.”
 
“I will be right there, Kurasawa-san.” I try to straighten my yukata a bit and then reach up to tuck some stray hairs back to where they belong.
 
Only Kami knows why I am even bothering. He was really nothing to me. Well, that is not entirely true. I found him attractive in his own way, but it was quite one-sided, on my part. There were times when I am sure that he was less than happy that I lived at the castle, especially that day I managed to land a lucky blow on his rib cage when he was training the group of women combatants to which I belonged. I smile a bit to myself at that memory. I think he learned to never belittle me again, since it only happened that once. He behaved himself around me after that.
 
By the time Kurasawa-san and I get outside both men have dismounted, and one of the boys is leading the animals toward the barn.
 
“Welcome home husband,” she says to Hiejieumon-san, bowing respectfully. Then she turns to Saitou-san, bowing again, “I am Kurasawa-san's wife. Welcome to our humble home. We hope that you enjoy your stay. It is an honor to have the third captain as our guest.”
 
Turning to me, and resting a hand on my shoulder, she introduces me to him, “This is Takagi Tokio; she is a boarder here, also. Tokio-san, this is Saitoh Hajime captain of the Shinsengumi's third unit. The men of the Shinsengumi will always be held in high regard by those of us who lived in Aizu.”
 
Yes, I agree with her, they did their best to protect us. In my opinion the way things ended for them was shameful. They deserved more respect. With that introduction, I give the man I gracious bow, “It is an honor to see you again, Saitoh-san.”
 
Kurasawa-san raises a brow a bit before she breaks out in a smile, “Ah, you two know each other then. Excellent!”
 
Giving both of the women a polite bow I respond to their greetings, “Thank you, I am pleased to be here. Yes, Takagi-san and I were previously introduced.” I smirk as I remember some of our encounters. Some were more pleasant than others. I glance in her direction. If I remember correctly, she used to keep an eye on me. I found it very amusing. Will she still do that now that I am a member of this household?
 
I never thought I would ever see the woman again. She may be easy on the eyes, but she has a stubborn streak that can erupt to the surface if one isn't careful. I do not really have time for temperamental women. But she was never afraid of me, or intimidated by me. I can't say that about many people, man or woman. Back in Aizu I noticed that she showed a bit more than just a passing interest in me.
 
There was something about her, a kind of determination; the type of thing that you would expect to see in a man, and admire. What does that type of attitude get a woman? I am reluctant to admit it to myself, but there is a small part of me that is glad to see her again, although the rest of me can't imagine why.
 
I stand aside as Hiejieumon-san, his wife, and Saitoh-san walk past me. The men have to be hungry and they might want a bath, having traveled so far today. Dutifully, I trail behind the group that makes its way into the house. There is food prepared and waiting.
 
I wonder what this new houseguest will really mean. I wonder if he and I will be able to tolerate each other's presence on a daily basis in these close quarters. We did not see each other that much, except for that month of daily training before the war started. I shake my head. Who am I trying to deceive? Only myself. I am truly glad that he is here, I realize, as my heart beats a little faster.