Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Tales in Tonami - Put Your Best Foot Forward ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tales in Tonami - Starting Out With Your Best Foot Forward
The after dinner clean-up is almost finished, and the men have just returned from the bathhouse. I hope that the temperature of the water was to his liking. I will have to ask him, since stoking the fire is my job, and having the bath water either too hot or too cool can cause some men to become cranky. The last thing I want to see in this house is a cranky Saitoh-san. I had the dubious pleasure of viewing that a few times in Aizu Wakamatsu. Fortunately, his unpleasant attitude was only directed at me once.
After I put away the last of the kitchen utensils, used at dinner, and set out the things we will need to prepare breakfast, I walk down the hall, intending to retire to my room for the evening.
The Kurasawas live in a large farmhouse that was built many years ago, a generation before either Hiejieumon-san or his wife were born. I imagine that at one time the extended family, including grandparents, must have been quite large due to its two-story structure and many rooms. A house like this is a blessing during a time such as this, when so many were exiled here to Tonami. The Kurasawas are generous in sharing what they have with those of us who lost everything, but our lives.
As I walk past the main room, I notice that a single lantern is lit, and a lone figure sits quietly in the dim light. I really do not have to poke my head into the room to know who it is. I recognize him. In Aizu it got so that I could pick out his form in a crowd. Such a foolish girl, I am, I think to myself with disgust. I spent so much of my time back then, keeping my eye on him, whenever the opportunity presented itself.
“Takagi-san.”
I hesitate at hearing my name and then return the greeting, “Good evening, Saitoh-san.”
Why I spoke to her I do not know. The words just slipped through my lips before I could contain them. I scowl at myself. Now that I have started a conversation with her, I need to either continue it, or finish it properly. To do otherwise would be impolite.
I am going to be living under the same roof as this woman, and it would not do to start off on the wrong foot on my first day here. No, the memory of sore ribs has remained with me for a very long time. I acquired those due to a verbal indiscretion towards her on the first day I trained the group of women combatants to which she belonged. Not that she would ever have the chance to give me sore ribs again, but she does do a lot of the cooking from what I understand. Dinner tonight was delicious, and if I manage to annoy her again, like I did that day in Aizu, I can just imagine what my portion will taste like the next time she prepares a meal.
“So, how did you arrive here?” I continue. It is none of my business, but I find myself wanting to talk to her, and can think of nothing else to say to her.
Taking his questioning as an invitation to join him, I walk into the room and sit facing him, a respectable distance away. “It is a long story,” I reply.
“I have time.”
“It is rather boring.” I respond
“I don't care.”
“My father was a retainer and friend of the old Matsudaira,” I begin. “Kurasawa-san was, also.”
I am not even going to mention my sister, Tami, to this man. She was with me at the castle. We were part of the inner guard, the Johei. He knows that already. Katamori-sama insisted that Saitoh train with us to make sure our skills were up to the proper standards. I do not know why he did not trust Akaoka Dainosuke, who was Teru-hime's personal trainer. He worked with us before Saitoh-san arrived in Aizu in the spring of 1868. Our job was to stay inside the castle compound to protect Teru-hime and Katamori's two secondary wives.
“After the war my mother and father were allowed to return to Edo with my brother, but I was in a group sent to Tonami. My parents, of course, were worried about me being here alone. But the Kurasawas offered to take me in, much to the relief of my family”.
I do not know why I continue, since what I say next is really not his concern. “They did not have an heir, and my parents have my younger brother, Morinusuke. There has been some talk, but nothing definite, yet.” I am going to leave it at that. Perhaps he can guess what the talk is about from what I said. It is too early to reveal that I may be adopted into the Kurasawa family.
I listen to her story in silence, feigning interest in order to appear polite. In the long run, I guess it doesn't hurt to know something of her background. That sort of information could become useful in the future. The way she talks about our hosts not having an heir makes me speculate that they have her in mind for that role.
“What about you, Saitoh-san? What brought you here to Tonami?” I ask the man. It is only fair of me to do so after answering him.
“Feh, it doesn't matter, and it is too late to speak of it now. Perhaps another time,” I tell her, evading her question. She doesn't need to know about my close brush with death, courtesy of a Meiji execution squad. I was willing to die to protect the Bakufu, if necessary. But the thought of being cut down by an executioner without the opportunity to fight back, and die an honorable death, turns my stomach.
I suppose that I should be annoyed that he put me off, refusing to answer me. However, tonight I will give him the benefit of doubt. It is very late. He did travel by horseback over a long distance today. Even a man like him has to be tired.
“Very well, you will have to tell me some other time, then,” I say, bowing low to him. “If you will excuse me, I am tired and will retire for the evening.” Rising to me feet I turn to walk away, but stop and turn back to him.
“Saitoh-san, excuse me but…”
“Yes,” I look to her as I sense her movement halt.
“Was the temperature of the bath water this evening agreeable?”
Her odd question almost causes me to startle. I will never understand some of the things that seem to be important to women. “Quite,” I respond, short and to the point. Due to the many times I had to bathe in freezing river water, I find any temperature above that very sufficient. I did not even give the state of the bathwater a passing thought tonight. But now that she mentions it, I did find it soothing.
After he answers I bow to him once more, and then make my way to the hall and continue up the stairs to my room. Perhaps it was the temperature of the bathwater that made him behave in such a pleasant manner this evening. Either that or it was the substantial and delicious dinner I prepared this evening.
She didn't seem too put out by my refusal to answer her question about why I am here. That is good. Perhaps she will spare doing any alterations to my breakfast tomorrow morning, I think to myself, a bit amused.
Living in the same household with her may prove to be entertaining. I remember she was not like most women; her attitude was not like most of her gender. She is still as pleasant to look at, as she was back in Aizu, maybe even a little more so. But I do have to shake my head at her parting question. Bath water?