Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Tales in Tonami - Woodcutting ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tales in Tonami - Woodcutting
 
Late May 1871
 
Tonami is located in the northern part of the country, where winter is harsh and unforgiving. All of the wood for heating and cooking must be gathered, cut and stored in a dry place, during the summer. Being the youngest and strongest adult male in the household, the task of putting in the winter's wood supply falls on me. It is probably too early to begin cutting next winter's firewood, but by starting now, it will have more time to dry which will cause it to burn hotter and cleaner when it is finally needed.
 
I am used to slicing into things other than tree trunks, but my skill with the sword does give me an edge when it comes to working with an axe. Rhythm and precision are a requisite for both activities. The small grove of trees is just beyond the field next to the path that leads to the river. The trees I am falling are such that the trunk, once cut into pieces, is small enough in diameter to use in household fires without having to be split again. This saves time, since no extra work is needed.
 
Takagi-san. She shows her stubborn determination, again, on yet another task by insisting to help me with this. All I can do is to smirk and shake my head at the thought. She and I hitched the horse to the cart this morning, since the wood I am cutting is too far from the house for a person to carry there.
 
This time she even enlisted the help of the three children in the household. As I continue to busy myself with the actual felling of the trees, and cutting the trunks in pieces, Takagi-san and the children load the cart with the wood that I already cut. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see her smiling at them. I can also hear the encouraging words she sends their way to help them with their task. I allow myself a small smile at this. I think that with her nature she could convince anyone, not just children, to do whatever she bids.
 
That is not all I see. I notice the stray hairs that frame her face, the way she bends over to pick up an arm load of wood that is much too heavy for a person of her size to carry, and I notice the sweat that streaks down her face and neck, dampening the collar of her work yukata. I also see how she stops to stretch her back muscles after she deposits the wood she was carrying into the cart. She often asks more of her body than it is physically capable of doing. If she isn't more careful, she will break down before her time, which for some reason, I find to be a rather disturbing thought.
 
Harsh conditions bring out both the best and the worst in people. Such conditions create an environment in which a woman can be judged, exposing her true temperament and values. A woman performing a difficult physical task bares herself to the world because she does not have the luxury of hiding behind the deception created by fancy dress or schooled manners.
 
She insists that the children sit and rest for a few minutes at regular intervals. But she does not allow that for herself. I know she is tired, because she doesn't look my way as often as usual. Most of the time when we work together, she steals glances in my direction almost constantly, or at least that is how it seems to me.
 
I am sure that she will continue to work, or at least try to, as long as I stay out here. That is why I will stop cutting as soon as the cart is filled. I know that is the only way that she will be convinced to stop and return to the house. In fact I will not even cut enough to fill the cart. I will be sure that a space is left at the rear for her and the children to sit so they can ride back to the house.
 
The repetitive task I am doing allows me to think and reflect on my life. I have to say that I find the honest sweat of a woman at work to be quite appealing, and I am just beginning to admit to myself that I find her at least mildly appealing.