Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Old Friends Can Still Be Irritating ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

30Romances: Anvil/Banter
This is Matsudaira Katamori's response to Saitoh Hajime's enquiry about Takagi Tokio. Tokio was secretary to Katamori's sister, Teru, before and during the Boshin War.
“The Search Was Short”
Old Friends Can Still Be Irritating
I feel like somebody just hit me in the stomach with an anvil. Katamori is nothing but a moron; the idiot hasn't changed a bit since the Boshin War. Always trying his best to get under my skin and often succeeding. However, I would never give him the satisfaction of knowing that. The frown on my face deepens to a scowl as I light another cigarette, and draw in some of the soothing smoke before I reread his reply to my inquiry.
Ah, Hajime-kun, how nice to hear from you!
You are in luck my friend! My sister has been keeping company with Takagi-san ever since she relocated here from Tonami. Rarely a day goes by when there isn't some contact between the two of them. You know how women love to visit with one another!
That woman has kept me more than busy. I would say that, during the last three years, half of the eligible bachelors in Tokyo have made a path to my door, imploring me to broker a marriage between them, and the fair object of their affections. She would be quite the catch for one of them, and in my opinion it is only a matter of time before she gives in and consents to accept one of the proposals.
She is intelligent, sweet, and has enough physical beauty to turn a man's head. Of course, I do not have to tell you these things. If I remember correctly, both of you lived under the Kurasawa's roof before you married that Shinoda woman.
I took the liberty of asking Teru-sama, if Takagi-san ever mentioned you in conversation. Three years is a long time. For all I knew, she had totally forgotten you, but my sister says that her friend does remember you and has, on occasion, even mentioned you. I think the two of them like to reminisce about the time they spent at Aizu castle before the war started. The story about the day Takagi-san landed a lucky blow to a Shinsengumi captain during a training session is always worth retelling!
Well, my friend. It was a wonderful surprise to hear from you. If you ever get to Tokyo, don't hesitate to look me up. We can share old times over a flask of sake. They do have some good breweries here. Perhaps not as good as the ones in Kyoto in the old days, but still good enough to quench a man's thirst.
Katamori
Hell. My `friend', my eye. I won't be reading this again. Crumbling the paper into a ball, I throw it into the kitchen fire. My ties to Yaso are not yet cut. It will be another month or two before I will be free to travel to Tokyo to do some investigating of my own. If that idiot knows what's good for him, he will stay out of my way when I get there.
Author's Note: Katamori, snicker, sure knows how to irritate the wolf!