Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Lovegety ❯ Cravings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ange: Me again! This chapter was so fun to write. And it came out longer than I first imagined, but that's a plus right? Even though this didn't get a lot of reviews I'm still glad at the hits I got at least. Tomoe may seem OOC but this is an AU so it's understandable, expected even. By the way, does anyone know the difference between an original and alternate universe? I changed the format because I saw one fic that has it like this and I wanted to try it out on mine. If it's annoying you all just tell me and I will fix it. I also changed the title. This would be more clear why in this chapter and the next. That's all I have to say for now but I'll see you all at the bottom!
 
Disclaimer: I forgot to do this in the first chapter but that's only because I really am the creator of Rurouni Kenshin. Yes and I spend all my free time writing anfiction that I will never get paid for. It's tax deductible charity work you know.
 
…okay I guess I'll go and take my much needed medication now.
 
Lovegety
 
The First Chapter
Cravings
 
 
 
 
 
Kaoru would like to say that she did what she was told to do and very shortly exited her room feeling refreshed and with a sunny disposition and bounce to her step. She would like to say that but-
 
-
 
Kaoru doesn't lie.
 
-
 
Kaoru did follow Tomoe's ultimatum but she emerged from her safe haven with a glowering expression accompanied with her slouching posture and the dragging of her feet. Because of her lost sleep Kaoru was holding a grudge against Tomoe and she made sure that everyone else knew about it as well.
 
-
 
Of course there's only the two of them stuck in the house, but it's the principle of the matter that counts.
 
-
 
The only light in this dismal day was the prospect of a home cooked meal awaiting her at the table. So imagine her disappointment and acute displeasure at finding no trace of food set before her in the kitchen.
 
-
 
Tomoe as if sensing Kaoru's mounting confusion looked up at her from behind the book she was reading that also hid a plate of saltine crackers which she was currently munching on. “It took you long enough.” Tomoe plainly said to her not even bothering to offer an excuse or explanation for the obvious lack of Kaoru's breakfast.
 
-
 
Why?” came Kaoru's tortured voice.
 
-
 
“Oh stop being so melodramatic,” Tomoe chided her while she rose to carry her empty dish to the sink. “With my pregnancy so far along I thought that I would be through with all this morning sickness mess,” She paused to place the newly washed plate on the drying rack and to wipe her hands on a dry washcloth. Turning back to Kaoru she gave her a meek smile, “but I guess I was mistaken.”
 
-
 
Kaoru suppose that she should feel more sympathizing towards her because morning sickness is no joke and with Tomoe being almost seven months along she must feel as big as a house. Even so, it's hard to understanding on an empty stomach.
 
-
 
Kaoru inwardly sighed, deciding to let this one go. See, she can be considerate if the situation calls for it. “Fine then,” Kaoru directed towards Tomoe, accepting her valid excuse, “since you're unable to make me anything,” glancing pointedly at Tomoe's rounded stomach, “you can leave the kitchen to do…whatever while I try to scrounge up a decent breakfast for myself, because frankly- I don't want to be eating my food while you're puking all over the place.”
 
-
 
Saying that Kaoru crossed over to the refrigerator to see if there was something easy enough to cook, for although Kaoru prided herself on many talents
 
-
 
…cooking wasn't one of them.
 
-
 
Tomoe alarmed at seeing Kaoru with the intention to cook, hurriedly rushed over and slammed the fridge door shut. “Now Kaoru, I know that you are not planning to cook in my kitchen.” Tomoe sternly stated to her.
 
-
 
“Why wouldn't I?” Kaoru asked warily as her sense of preservation kicked into overdrive- Danger! Danger! Hormonal pregnant woman on a warpath! Proceed with caution!
 
-
 
“Need I remind you that I just finished remodeling this kitchen just a month ago? And besides,” added mockingly, “we both know anything you make couldn't possibly be edible.”
 
-
 
“I've gotten better.” Mumbled Kaoru, a little put off.
 
-
 
“I'm sure you have,” Tomoe replied soothingly, “but that doesn't change the fact that you're not cooking anything in my kitchen.”
 
-
 
“Well then how the hell am I supposed to eat?” Kaoru angrily asked, her hunger getting the better of her.
 
-
 
“Kaoru you're not going to starve.” Tomoe pointed out to her, a bit vexed with her constant complaints.
 
-
 
“Then what you propose I do?” Was Kaoru's quick comback.
 
-
 
“You're a college graduate so think for yourself.” But Tomoe, seeing that she would get no cooperation from the stubborn girl, decided to lend a suggestion, “Why not go to the Akabeko? Your friend Tae works there, right?”
 
-
 
“Yeah, but the food's free here.” Mumbled Kaoru, unwilling to give up the fight just yet.
 
-
 
“Now don't go Sano on me.” Tomoe teased.
 
-
 
“Don't you dare lump me in with that freeloader!” Bit back an offended Kaoru. Sure he was one of her best friends, but she wasn't too blind as to not notice his faults-
 
-
 
and there are many.
 
-
 
Knowing when to admit defeat, Kaoru backed down from the already lost battle. “Alright,” was Kaoru's grudged agreement, “but can I at least borrow your car? Tae's place isn't in walking distance you know.”
-
 
Even though she lost, she will not leave here without a victory.
 
-
 
“Sure thing,” Tomoe relented, “The keys are on the counter.”
 
-
 
Walking over to the counter, Kaoru located the set of keys and thumbed through them, trying to find the key that went with Tomoe's car. Not finding it but stumbling across something even more interesting, she lifted it to her eyes for further investigation.
 
-
 
Lovegety…?” Kaoru real aloud the inscription on the odd gadget that she was looking at.
 
-
 
Tomoe's soft laugh stopped her from studying the strange device further. “It looks cute, doesn't it?” Tomoe asked her, smiling from her seat by the kitchen table.
 
-
 
“What is it?” Kaoru questioned softly, her hunger momentarily forgotten.
 
-
 
“Oh, it's just a matchmaking toy I bought.” Tomoe answered as she walked over towards her. She fondly took it away from Kaoru, faintly smiling as she ran her fingertips over it.
 
-
 
“What does it do?” Kaoru prodded her. Why would she have this if she's already married and pregnant no less?
 
-
 
“Hmm?” Tomoe murmured distractedly before coming out of her thoughts. “Oh, well, you put in some information about yourself as well as your interests, likes, dislikes, and so on. And if there's another person who has a lovegety with data that is compatible with yours, then the alarms inside them will both sound off once you two are close enough.”
 
-
 
“Okay…” Kaoru started off, more confused than before. “You're married to my brother so why do you even have one?”
 
-
 
Tomoe set the keys down and turned to face Kaoru. “It was too adorable to pass up and,” she added in a dreamy tone, “it was on that day I met your brother- my husband. Besides,” Tomoe continued offhandedly, “What's the chance of meeting someone with a lovegety that matches mine? No guy would be caught dead carrying something like this on them.”
 
-
 
“Yeah,” Kaoru agreed, “the probability of that happening is…”
 
-
 
“Slim to none.” Tomoe confidently finished for her.
 
-
 
Kaoru picked up the keys again, her appetite now back in full force. “Hey Tomoe,” she called out to her, “which key goes with your car?”
 
-
 
After picking up her discarded book that lied face down at the table Tomoe turned towards Kaoru in thought, “It's the light golden one and it should be next to the keychain with my name on it,” she informed her after a moment's pause.
 
-
 
And sure enough hanging next to a small oval keychain that had Tomoe's name spelled out in English was a light golden key. “Thanks,” Kaoru threw out at her as she left to head up to the guest room that she was staying in. If she wanted some chow at the Akabeko she'll need cash and it would be too much to hope for that Tomoe would lend her any.
 
-
 
Kaoru decided to pop back in the kitchen to tell Tomoe that she was heading out. Sticking her head into the kitchen she informed her sister-in-law of her departure, “Hey Tomoe, I'm leaving now and I'm might be got for awhile, ok?”
 
-
 
“Kaoru can you come in here for a minute?” Tomoe called out to her from her seat at the table.
 
-
 
Obligated, she stepped back into the kitchen, impatience causing her to fidget, “Can you make this quick? I'm really famished right now.”
 
-
 
“Sure,” Tomoe replied, closing the book that she had picked up again to read when Kaoru left, “Since you're leaving here I want you to go buy me a watermelon.”
 
-
 
Tomoe groaned as she tried to stand up, one hand resting on her pregnant stomach and the other supporting her with the table. “Baby's hungry and I'm having a sudden craving for one,” she said by way of explanation, softly grunting as the baby decided to physically voice out its hunger.
 
-
 
Kaoru stared as her in disbelief, “You want me to buy you a watermelon in the middle of winter?”
 
-
 
“That's what I said, didn't I?” Tomoe smugly shot at her.
 
-
 
“Tomoe where the hell am I suppose to buy a watermelon in the dead of winter?!”
 
-
 
But Tomoe simply smiled as she breezed pass her to head upstairs.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
“That's not my problem, now is it?”
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: Chapter one is now complete! Hopefully you all have enjoyed it and special thanks go out to shiroi-sama and mtgranola for checking it out as well as the 59 other people who checked it out. And if you guys have anything to say email or review, either is fine with me. After I update `The Torture' (which seems to be a great hit by the way) I will be sure to put up another chapter for this one. The lovegety thing is real. It was a big hit in the late 90's especially in Japan. I got the idea from this story after seeing it in one of my sister's old yearbooks. You can google to find out about it, but just to let you know I spruced up the info alittle to suit me. I don't know if this reads (check below) but that's the website I found about it on yahoo.
-
-
-
 
 
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F %2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dlovegety%26ei%3DUTF-8%26 fr%3Dslv1-&h=168&w=220&imgcurl=www.cnn.com%2FWORLD%2Fasiapcf%2F 9806%2F07%2Ffringe%2Fjapan.lovegety%2Flovegety.jpg&imgurl=www.cnn.com%2 FWORLD%2Fasiapcf%2F9806%2F07%2Ffringe%2Fjapan.lovegety%2Flovegety.jpg&s ize=14.2kB&name=lovegety.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2FWORLD %2Fasiapcf%2F9806%2F07%2Ffringe%2Fjapan.lovegety&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. cnn.com%2FWORLD%2Fasiapcf%2F9806%2F07%2Ffringe%2Fjapan.lovegety&p=loveg ety&type=jpeg&no=4&tt=63&ei=UTF-8