Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories in Kyoto ❯ Arrival ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I wish I owned Rurouni Kenshin. I want to own Rurouni Kenshin. But I don't… this is one of the main reasons that my life stinks. ^^

****************

Arrival

***************

Tokyo Station was crowded, filled with natives as well as foreigners. Luggage was dragged along the ground, causing dust to rise. Kaoru grimaced at this, noting the dust that settled in the folds of her kimono. She had just had Kenshin clean it too! She pouted, brushing off the grains that annoyed her. Sano was hunched over, a toothpick sticking out of his mouth. His hands were in his pockets, sweating uncontrollably. Yahiko smirked at Sano's fear of trains. Guess the rooster head wasn't so tough after all. This was perfect…

"Hey, Sano…" Yahiko began innocently. "Aren't you excited that we get to go on a train? Trains are so cool," he ended, pointing out Sano's biggest fear.

Sano shivered at the word train. Heck, if he couldn't stand hearing the darn word, how did they expect him to live through riding on a train?

Kaoru watched Sano, blue eyes gleaming evilly.

"Would you like me to hold your hand?" she drawled sarcastically, offering her hand to him. Yahiko attempted to contain his laughter but failed. He burst out into howls of hilarity, attracting attention from anyone who passed by. Kaoru soon joined him, clutching her stomach and giggling up a fit. Kenshin chuckled and just smiled, violet eyes shining with amusement. Sano blushed and began to walk faster.

Eventually, Kaoru and Yahiko stopped snickering and continued to stroll to the ticket booth. After buying their train tickets, Yahiko sprinted to the entrance onto the train. He pouted, tapping his foot impatiently. When Kenshin motioned him to go on and find seats, he obliged happily. Kaoru rushed after him with Kenshin close behind, both of them getting on the train. Sano slowed his pace as he drew nearer and nearer to the large locomotive. A chill ran through his spine.

Kaoru poked her head out and shook her head. Sano walked even slower.

"Come on, ya big chicken!" She paused and grinned. "Or should I say… rooster!"

Sano grew annoyed as his eye began to twitch. He ran to the train, a set face of fury. In other words, he was pissed.

"TANUKI!" he shouted as he jumped onto the train. He stood, panting, receiving surprised looks from fellow passengers. Kaoru set herself in front of him, smiling.

The train began to move. Sano didn't notice, more focused on beating Jou-chan into a pulp.

"You… tanuki…" he muttered. Kaoru's smile immediately changed into a frown.

"Sit down, ya rooster head," she ordered simply, pointing at an empty seat by the window. Yahiko sat in the seat across from him while Kenshin placed himself next to Yahiko. Sano looked at his seat then out the window. Green blurs rushed by with mixes of blue and white. The creak of the wheels and the whistle of the train reached his ears. His eyes grew wide and he began to sweat. He tried hard to keep his face expressionless but failed miserably.

Yahiko noticed. "Sano, you are really brave… You're not freakin' out even though the train's movin'."

Sano swallowed nervously, slowly making his way to his seat by the window. He felt the shift of the wheels and the acceleration of the train. Yahiko watched the grim expression on Sano's face. It was priceless.

Kenshin said nothing, smiling. Kaoru sat down next to Sano, causing him to jump slightly at the sudden impact of her and the seat.

"Geez, ya big buffoon! Riding on a train's not that scary," Kaoru commented. Sano retorted, causing Kaoru to yell back.

Not… again… Kenshin thought nervously. Well… he watched the tall man battle it out with the young girl. He sighed. At least they were on the train.

He shook his head. As he watched, his mind wandered. Wandered to Kyoto. It was over now, he knew, but no one could forget such things that happened there. He could not forget, even if he tried. The flames that burned with this memory would not be extinguished to forever rest in the depths of his mind. No, this fire would linger and spread. He knew why. Remorse. Yes, it was remorse for a fallen man. A man whom he was similar. A man who had fought for the same cause. A man who pushed the limits only to burst into flames. If only this man had opened his mind, he could be here. He would be alive, enjoying life in this new era.

In Kyoto, there was much to remember. Memories he knew went much farther. Even to the revolution. Kenshin closed his eyes. He remembered snow. Soft, falling snow. Trees… there were many maple trees… Yes… raven hair and the scent of white plum… and… blood. There was much blood. Red rivers flooded Kyoto, overpowering with the stench of death. The clinking of swords and the sounds of blade upon flesh. The rush of danger, the feeling of battle. He adored this rush… he even wished… to feel it again.

He opened his eyes, breathing heavily. He would stop here. No more. He dare not go back any farther. Those memories shall remain buried until… until he was ready to remember.

"Kenshin?" a voice asked. "Kenshin, are you okay? You're sweating."

He swallowed. He would not worry his friends. These heavy burdens should be kept to himself. He refused to let them share the load. Kenshin put on his Rurouni smile, enough to convince his friends that he was fine.

"No, it is nothing, Kaoru-dono," he replied, no hint of sadness in his tone. Kaoru smiled back and sighed in relief. Her blue eyes did not match her mood. They held worry and question, he noted. He couldn't fool her. She knew and was sure to ask him about it later.

He felt the train slow to a stop at a station. They had arrived to Kyoto.